Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If the Minister gets this wrong the people will decide that he needs to be unemployed

The only way he gets it wrong is to allow people back onto the ships, and have another Ruby Princess disaster.  There are more votes to be gained than lost by keeping the cruise ships away, for the foreseeable future.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:16 AM, lyndarra said:

The majority of whom are peace loving, gentle people; their good name tarnished by a radical minority.

The Germans were/are nice people too - but the NAZIS led them by the short and curlies to the end. It only takes the good people to do nothing and succumb to their fear.!!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The only way he gets it wrong is to allow people back onto the ships, and have another Ruby Princess disaster.  There are more votes to be gained than lost by keeping the cruise ships away, for the foreseeable future.

The way he gets it wrong is by keeping Australians locked in there homes or their state. There is a fine line to walk, when thousands of workers are out of work and businesses close nation wide because the paranoid few are all quaking at home. Well then they probably won't be voting for those that screwed up their lives. 

Clearly you are clairvoyant that you are able to predict the future because I sure can't, and please do DEFINE "foreseeable future" because you really use it often.

And don't forget the person or persons that carried the virus onto the Ruby Princess probably got to Australia in an airplane.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, christodan said:

We're not. But there will be a point when the social and economic costs will outweigh the cost of having the virus in the community. Having mass unemployment ( a depression ) will lead to suicides and deaths by other means.  Even Italy is planning on opening up its borders.

We will have to live with this virus as we live with any other virus ( like the flu).

The WHO has already implied that "perhaps" this virus will become endemic - as are many other viruses/diseases that  humans are subject to. It has taken a long time to "defeat' polio, smallpox, etc and other conditions like influenza and conditions caused by the obesity epidemic will take us out. Just for a bit of perspective - if nothing else " We can't do much about our own Government - but we can control our own paranoia if we apply a bit of perspective to our situation. In 2018, 30860 deaths were registered in Qld. In 2019, 5 people PER WEEK died from Influenza during the flu season. So far this year, 71 people have died on Qld roads!
-- and a total of 6 people have had their deaths "attributed" to coronavirus since Jan 1 this year . So make sure you wash your hands and stay away from sick people - the flu season is upon us now and the impatient morons who want to get to where they are going by yesterday have returned to our roads in force!!!!! Personally at age 73, I have little fear of contracting coronavirus."

Or , on the other hand - A MONSTER IS ATTACKING OUR VILLAGE. TO DEFEAT THE MONSTER , WE MUST DESTROY THE VILLAGE!!!

Edited by bazzaw
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

The way he gets it wrong is by keeping Australians locked in there homes or their state. There is a fine line to walk, when thousands of workers are out of work and businesses close nation wide because the paranoid few are all quaking at home. Well then they probably won't be voting for those that screwed up their lives. 

Clearly you are clairvoyant that you are able to predict the future because I sure can't, and please do DEFINE "foreseeable future" because you really use it often.

And don't forget the person or persons that carried the virus onto the Ruby Princess probably got to Australia in an airplane.

Australia is starting to emerge from the CV-19 lockdown now.  As of Friday, people in most states were able to go to the pub for a meal, to a limit of 10 patrons.  This is the first step, and last weekend they laid out a plan for subsequent steps, to be taken at 4-week intervals.

As far as the state borders are concerned, those are being controlled by the State governments.  In any case, most people expect interstate travel & tourism to recommence around July. 

The Trans Tasman Bubble is expected to come into effect in September, or (more likely) October.  The NZ PM (Jacinda Ardern) participated in a meeting of Australia's National Cabinet (PM, Premiers, Chief Ministers, and senior health officials) last week, where this was formally discussed.  Fiji, as noted previously, is desperate to join the bubble - and my guess is that countries like Vanuatu & Tonga won't be far behind.

Beyond that, the Australian Government has repeatedly stated that they have no plans for opening the borders for international travel (in or out).  They're not even looking at it.  We've been told to expect the borders to remain closed for years, rather than months.  That's what "foreseeable future" means in this context.

We're well aware that the person(s) who took CV-19 onto Ruby arrived via plane, which is why nobody is being allowed into the country until we can be assured that they won't be bringing CV-19 with them.

9 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

The WHO has already implied that "perhaps" this virus will become endemic - as are many other viruses/diseases that  humans are subject to. It has taken a long time to "defeat' polio, smallpox, etc and other conditions like influenza and conditions caused by the obesity epidemic will take us out. Just for a bit of perspective - if nothing else " We can't do much about our own Government - but we can control our own paranoia if we apply a bit of perspective to our situation. In 2018, 30860 deaths were registered in Qld. In 2019, 5 people PER WEEK died from Influenza during the flu season. So far this year, 71 people have died on Qld roads!
-- and a total of 6 people have had their deaths "attributed" to coronavirus since Jan 1 this year . So make sure you wash your hands and stay away from sick people - the flu season is upon us now and the impatient morons who want to get to where they are going by yesterday have returned to our roads in force!!!!! Personally at age 73, I have little fear of contracting coronavirus."

Or , on the other hand - A MONSTER IS ATTACKING OUR VILLAGE. TO DEFEAT THE MONSTER , WE MUST DESTROY THE VILLAGE!!!

You do realise that the Australia's low death toll is because we took such drastic actions?   You seem to be getting cause and effect around the wrong way.

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Unlikely. It's going to take a very long time to reach any form of "herd immunity," hence why early promoters such as Boris quickly backed down.

Yes , I bow to your wisdom.

but if there’s no vaccine .we will be in our bubble and economy wise we will suffer.

3 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Beyond that, the Australian Government has repeatedly stated that they have no plans for opening the borders for international travel (in or out).  They're not even looking at it.  We've been told to expect the borders to remain closed for years, rather than months.  That's what "foreseeable future" means in this context.

We're well aware that the person(s) who took CV-19 onto Ruby arrived via plane, which is why nobody is being allowed into the country until we can be assured that they won't be bringing CV-19 with them.

So per your last paragraph I will repeat my earlier statement, that your borders will never open because that "assurance" is impossible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

If the Minister gets this wrong the people will decide that he needs to be unemployed

The risk for the Government is removing restrictions too quickly. 

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yes , I bow to your wisdom.

but if there’s no vaccine .we will be in our bubble and economy wise we will suffer.

There are a few scenarios...

Firstly, we can cross all our fingers & toes, and wish upon a falling star, that a vaccine may become available.  Best case, this happens sometime in 2021.  However, no human vaccine has ever been found for any other coronavirus, so be prepared for the possibility that they may never find one for CV-19.

Secondly, we can hope that they find an anti-viral treatment that works.  This is how they now deal with HIV.

Thirdly, we can hope that the disease just burns itself out, or mutates into something less deadly & contagious.

Fourthly, we can just accept that CV-19 will always be with us, and learn to live with it as a "new normal".  Sadly, this is probably the most likely outcome.  However, I can't see the Aus Govt accepting this option until the first and second options have been exhausted.

We won't be in our bubble forever - but don't be surprised if 2022 arrives and we're still not travelling beyond the TTB.  Look on the bright side - this is your opportunity to see those parts of Australia you've always wanted to visit!

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

The Minister will decide when we can go cruising.

No, the minister may decide as to when cruising returns to Australia, but that would really be up to the particular state governments as many other things have been. It may be earlier or later than what the Minister decides.

He may also decide when people can leave Australia for travel elsewhere, but that will be influenced by other countries as well.

But one thing for sure, is while he may have some influence, he will not be deciding when I go cruising, that is my decision.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Australia is starting to emerge from the CV-19 lockdown now.  As of Friday, people in most states were able to go to the pub for a meal, to a limit of 10 patrons.  

There is no way I could eat one patron, let alone ten.

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

There are a few scenarios...

Firstly, we can cross all our fingers & toes, and wish upon a falling star, that a vaccine may become available.  Best case, this happens sometime in 2021.  However, no human vaccine has ever been found for any other coronavirus, so be prepared for the possibility that they may never find one for CV-19.

Secondly, we can hope that they find an anti-viral treatment that works.  This is how they now deal with HIV.

Thirdly, we can hope that the disease just burns itself out, or mutates into something less deadly & contagious.

Fourthly, we can just accept that CV-19 will always be with us, and learn to live with it as a "new normal".  Sadly, this is probably the most likely outcome.  However, I can't see the Aus Govt accepting this option until the first and second options have been exhausted.

We won't be in our bubble forever - but don't be surprised if 2022 arrives and we're still not travelling beyond the TTB.  Look on the bright side - this is your opportunity to see those parts of Australia you've always wanted to visit!

I can go with that.

Hopefully,a vaccine or a treatment to ease the symptoms ????

But if we disconnect from the world for the next few years in a bubble we could suffer. For example tourism,education of foreign students 

49 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

However, no human vaccine has ever been found for any other coronavirus, so be prepared for the possibility that they may never find one for CV-19.

That's not totally accurate. No vaccine has been produced for a coronavirus partly because funding was pulled on the Sars research before it was complete, but I read somewhere they were very close to having a viable one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well according to our resident expert Vader I will probably be in my 80s before the borders will be open.

Lyle it’s best not to be caught up with the negativity.

Your coming and me and Rod will pick you up at the airport and will wreck the town .LOL 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

No, the minister may decide as to when cruising returns to Australia, but that would really be up to the particular state governments as many other things have been. It may be earlier or later than what the Minister decides.

He may also decide when people can leave Australia for travel elsewhere, but that will be influenced by other countries as well.

But one thing for sure, is while he may have some influence, he will not be deciding when I go cruising, that is my decision.

It can't be earlier than what the Minister decides.  Later is possible, if some of the states decide that they don't want the ships to return.  They can't return until the Aus Govt gives them the go ahead.

You are also correct, in stating that our ability to enter other countries will be dependent upon when those countries choose to re-open their borders.  The Australian Govt can say when people will & won't be allowed to enter Australia, and when Australians are able to leave, but they can't dictate when we'll be able to enter other countries.  My guess is that many other countries will re-open their borders before Australia does.

You can decide when you go cruising... but if you want to go on a cruise departing from (or returning to) an Australian port, then you won't be doing so until the Minister gives his approval, because there won't be any ships for you to embark.

Edited by Vader1111

9 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

It can't be earlier than what the Minister decides.  

---- if you want to go on a cruise departing from (or returning to) an Australian port, then you won't be doing so until the Minister gives his approval, because there won't be any ships for you to embark.

But you are wrong, I only need our chief ministers permission to go on a cruise again.

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

ohhhh so TTB means Trans Tasman Butterfly   or  That's Too Bad ......   ((Trans Tasman soap Bubble   ( wash your hands Geoffrey ))

if that what it is into 2022.... I am fine with that.. as long as I can do it on a cruise ship... 

Cheers Don

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

How are you going to get on the ship, if the Aus Govt won't allow them into Australian waters?

I will just drive to the port. They certainly allow this one in Australian waters, all Australian crew too, so it never left.