Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

54 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I will just drive to the port. They certainly allow this one in Australian waters, all Australian crew too, so it never left.

Fair enough... you're talking about one of those small ones, which holed up in Cairns?  Those would be one of the first boats to depart, but even then they'll need approval from the Federal Govt before they do so.  They won't be subject to the same restrictions as the big ships currently off Manila, but they'll still have to get approvals before they're allowed to take passengers onboard again.

15 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Fair enough... you're talking about one of those small ones, which holed up in Cairns?  Those would be one of the first boats to depart, but even then they'll need approval from the Federal Govt before they do so.  They won't be subject to the same restrictions as the big ships currently off Manila, but they'll still have to get approvals before they're allowed to take passengers onboard again.

Nope, certainly not driving to Queensland for a cruise, not when there is one that leaves from a port not 1/2 hour away.

48 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Nope, certainly not driving to Queensland for a cruise, not when there is one that leaves from a port not 1/2 hour away.

Lunch or dinner, or just the one hour cruise?

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

The Great Barrier Reef cruises won't be operating until next year. By the time travel opens up again it will be too late for this season.

3 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

There are a few scenarios...

Firstly, we can cross all our fingers & toes, and wish upon a falling star, that a vaccine may become available.  Best case, this happens sometime in 2021.  However, no human vaccine has ever been found for any other coronavirus, so be prepared for the possibility that they may never find one for CV-19.

Secondly, we can hope that they find an anti-viral treatment that works.  This is how they now deal with HIV.

Thirdly, we can hope that the disease just burns itself out, or mutates into something less deadly & contagious.

Fourthly, we can just accept that CV-19 will always be with us, and learn to live with it as a "new normal".  Sadly, this is probably the most likely outcome.  However, I can't see the Aus Govt accepting this option until the first and second options have been exhausted.

We won't be in our bubble forever - but don't be surprised if 2022 arrives and we're still not travelling beyond the TTB.  Look on the bright side - this is your opportunity to see those parts of Australia you've always wanted to visit!

yeahh and get ripped off at the same time, no thanks

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Lake Burley Griffin?

Yeah... that one won't require Federal Govt approval. 😁

5 hours ago, Pushka said:

Unfortunately the Minister takes priority as to what opportunities will be available to grant you your wish. 

5 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

The Minister will decide when we can go cruising.

Thankfully the minister has no say in what you save for and how you dream.

If we keep acting like even 1 more active case is unacceptable, the new normal will be unacceptable to everyone, including the minister.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, banzaii said:

If we keep acting like even 1 more active case is unacceptable, the new normal will be unacceptable to everyone, including the minister.

Having got our own numbers down, it's about ensuring that CV-19 doesn't come into the country again.

12 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Having got our own numbers down, it's about ensuring that CV-19 doesn't come into the country again.

Not true.  The virus has been steadily entering the country through repatriation of overseas travellers.  This will not stop. 

It is about the controls and risk mitigation that can be put in place.

I am not going to hang my hat on a vaccine or cure.  I am going to have faith that people and common sense will prevail - not fear, distrust and indefinate isolation.

Edited by banzaii
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, banzaii said:

Not true.  The virus has been steadily entering the country through repatriation of overseas travellers.  This will not stop. 

It is about the controls and risk mitigation that can be put in place.

I am not going to hang my hat on a vaccine or cure.  I am going to have faith that people and common sense will prevail - not fear, distrust and indefinate isolation.

Yes, but that's being managed through enforced quarantine.  Enforced quarantine works when we have small numbers of people entering the country, as we do right now.  It is impossible to enforce with normal arrival numbers.  Note that the arrivals have been reduced to roughly 2% of their normal level.

Further, those who are arriving are all citizens or permanent residents, with only a few exceptions.  It is constitutionally illegal to prevent citizens from returning home, and morally reprehensible to prevent permanent residents.  It is another thing entirely to allow foreigners to bring the disease into the country.

2 hours ago, banzaii said:

I agree. The goal was never to get down to zero, but just manage this virus so that health systems don't get overwhelmed. But somewhere along the way they changed the goals. 

3 hours ago, martin jenkins said:

yeahh and get ripped off at the same time, no thanks

You are not getting ripped off. Things cost more in Australia because overall costs for running a business is higher in Australia. It is not some sort scam and really an honest  business in Australia should be paying their workers more than the typical Indonesian wage. 

5 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

You have an absolute vision that has not been stated anywhere.

The aim has always been to "flatten the curve" NOT remove the curve. i.e. they never had a goal of zero cases and it eradicated, just to make things manageable by the medical system.

So your presumption of zero entries is not required, as long as there is a manageable solution. Hence why they're making exceptions willy nilly which doesn't meet claims like yours above.

Edited by The_Big_M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

Yes, but that's being managed through enforced quarantine.  Enforced quarantine works when we have small numbers of people entering the country, as we do right now.  It is impossible to enforce with normal arrival numbers.  Note that the arrivals have been reduced to roughly 2% of their normal level.

Further, those who are arriving are all citizens or permanent residents, with only a few exceptions.  It is constitutionally illegal to prevent citizens from returning home, and morally reprehensible to prevent permanent residents.  It is another thing entirely to allow foreigners to bring the disease into the country.

You're still stuck on the current state being the end state - when it's changed multiple times to get where we are now.

It's quite viable to allow entries with varying form of testing and quarantine - without being "normal arrival numbers."

Just as they're talking about new procedures in restaurants and shops, there'll be new facilities on hotels and cruise ships - and new entry procedures as well.

You're very unrealistic to think the public - and members of parliament - will let us keep our little bubble when the rest of the world has close open borders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

You are not getting ripped off. Things cost more in Australia because overall costs for running a business is higher in Australia. It is not some sort scam and really an honest  business in Australia should be paying their workers more than the typical Indonesian wage. 

Yeah, funny how people want the modern medical system, the jobkeeper and seeker payments, dividend imputation and all the rest - which require high wages to support that amount of taxation, and likely get paid either a pension or wages here - but then complain about the obvious cost of those things.

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually I'm thinking about doing a river cruise once the weather warms up again.

Houseboat on the Murray is very relaxing  if you like river cruising in Australia.....

I mean one you hire and drive your self..... not the one large ones . like the murray princess and proud mary...

the ones for old people.... ( oh wait that is me   LOL )

Have done the emmylou from echuca  just a two nighter

Cheers Don

29 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Houseboat on the Murray is very relaxing  if you like river cruising in Australia.....

I mean one you hire and drive your self..... not the one large ones . like the murray princess and proud mary...

the ones for old people.... ( oh wait that is me   LOL )

Have done the emmylou from echuca  just a two nighter

Cheers Don

I was thinking more of the Proud Mary style of river cruising, that way I don't have to do the cooking.

The downside to houseboats or any sort of charter boat is you still have to do the day-to-day chores.

19 hours ago, Vader1111 said:

The Minister will decide when we can go cruising.

He may...but that doesn't mean he can make us spend our cruising dollar on land, in the meantime. I, for one, am not going to blow my hard earned "cruise holiday dollars" on some over-priced holiday in Australia. I'll just wait till cruising starts. However, if he allows "domestic" cruising, I'll certainly consider that. Win-Win.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Get used to it apparently Australia will be locked down for cruise ships "for the foreseeable future" 😉

It's the "new normal" in these "unprecedented times".

Although next week will be the "new, new normal" in these "new unprecedented times".

• Like 2