for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Oh, I forgot...  my router at home may be dead.  My usual tricks last night did not work - it would attach to the cable modem for about 5 seconds then drop the connection.  I'm going to have to do some more intense troubleshooting on Thursday when I have a day off.  Until then, it's going to be using the computer at work when no one's watching.  

19 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

The food/service in MDR was mostly awful... comically awful to the point where it was actually funny...  ate in two specialty restaurants which were fantastic,  the spa area was great, along with the relaxation room, tile lounges, & thassotherapy pool.  

I also got that feeling about the MDR since restart. Sounds like budget cuts are painfully obvious (of course the HAL faithful will never admit it). Comparing actual posted menus with what we experienced in Alaska on Celebrity was like day and night. I do like Tamarind though...

19 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Decided that at some point we will try them for an exotic itinerary...  either do a balcony guarantee, or if it's much cheaper, an inside cabin (HAL has some big ones) & I would add on the cabana for the entire trip.. 

Same here, HAL does longer itineraries well. I just recently read on here that you can also request the Indian menu (I gather what is served to the crew) in the MDR, and it looks pretty tasty as another alternative on a longer cruise for variety...

• Like 1

Hi girls😀 I am sitting at the pool bar in St Lucia deciding on what to eat along side my Peach Bellini😀

Having a very relaxing 2 weeks. We have a lot of ports but I am staying on board most of the time. The bar staff all know me LOL

Kat, all that food from TJ'S sounds delicious!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Review of TJ's seasonal stuff:

mini peppermint merengues -yummy!  We're devouring them at work.  Melt-in-your-mouth with little bits of candy cane.

baked lemon ricotta - OMG!!  You gotta get this.  It's like eating lemon cheesecake.  Sooo good with a water cracker or something like this.  I loved it so much last year that I bought 3 pieces of it this year!!

Bacon-wrapped scallops - 10 of them in a box.  A quick dinner for me.  The scallops do not end up dry, but have a nice bite to them.  

candy cane jo jo's ice cream.  Just say yes.  peppermint & vanilla ice cream, fudge ribbons, and pieces of the candy cane jo jo's.  

Panettone and Egg Nog.  It's a good quality panettone.  And, if you look at the recipes from TJ's, they have an awesome bread pudding recipe using just those 2 things.

Truffle Burrata.  Got one, but haven't tried it yet.  Their plain buratta is pretty darn tasty.

Dark chocolate-covered pepperment jojo's - decadent.  My hair stylist loves them!!  

The astounding multi-flavored enrobed jojo's - I get them for the Front Desk folks and they are gone in a day!!!  

leibkuchen.  One of my absolute favorite holiday cookies.  soft gingerbread/spice cookies with a sugar glaze on them.  I gain 5 lbs just noshing on them each year.

Grab 'em while they are available.  There were canisters of snacking mixed nuts, plain and spicy, but the manager said they sold out of them and have no more coming.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Your review has given me the kick in the butt I needed to get to TJ's before all the good stuff is gone!

I'll plan to go tomorrow night -- probably not TOO crowded on a Monday evening....🤞

• Like 3

Y'all, wish me luck. This will be hell week at work. I work at an orthopedic ambulatory surgery center. Nov/Dec is generally crazy-stupid busy. I am normally scheduled for three 10-hour shifts (30 hours/week). I am have picked up an extra shift (double pay!) *and* it's the one Saturday a year we work (also double pay). I am scheduled for *46* hours. I am so stupid. I'm not sure I'll like myself by Saturday evening, much less anyone else. I've already told my husband to feed me and let me keep to myself on the days I work. 

On the other hand, that extra 16 (32) hours of pay will be nice. It's going into my new camera fund. 

OOTD: Athleta Moto tights and "don't get  your tinsel in a tangle" baseball shirt. Yup, had a holiday brunch to start hell week.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

Y'all, wish me luck. This will be hell week at work. I work at an orthopedic ambulatory surgery center. Nov/Dec is generally crazy-stupid busy. I am normally scheduled for three 10-hour shifts (30 hours/week). I am have picked up an extra shift (double pay!) *and* it's the one Saturday a year we work (also double pay). I am scheduled for *46* hours. I am so stupid. I'm not sure I'll like myself by Saturday evening, much less anyone else. I've already told my husband to feed me and let me keep to myself on the days I work. 

On the other hand, that extra 16 (32) hours of pay will be nice. It's going into my new camera fund. 

OOTD: Athleta Moto tights and "don't get  your tinsel in a tangle" baseball shirt. Yup, had a holiday brunch to start hell week.

Good luck -- it does sound pretty bad.  Just be sure to take care of yourself -- working so many hours can take a toll on your immune system.

1 hour ago, PurpleHays said:

Is the schedule due to people finally deciding to get their surgery done before their insurance stuff changes or the FSA/HSA goes???  

• Like 1

A word of warning:  if any of you or anyone you know is planning a trip to Hawaii:  Beware the health form!!!!!    I spent 1:45 hours with an owner trying to 1)find it, 2)login to it, 3) fill it out, 4)do the exception from quarantine form (what you do if you are vax'd).  Honestly, it was the worst website and help pages I've seen in a looooong time.  My profession was testing software and user interfaced - I would have failed this one and not signed off on it.   

On the way home in 30 minutes.  Still have lights and Christmas stuff to turn off and garbage to take out....   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

wow!  That is a lot of hours!  I suppose when you are done & shopping for a new camera it'll have been worth it, but take care, & we'll see you on the other side 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Have your husband feed you chocolate & wine as you walk thru the door!!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Is the schedule due to people finally deciding to get their surgery done before their insurance stuff changes or the FSA/HSA goes???  

That’s why I’ve never had scheduled surgery in November or December!  Everyone is trying to use before they have to pay a new copay 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Riverroad said:

Kat, I hope to go to TJ’s tomorrow. Live in the Northeast and hope they carry the baked lemon ricotta. Where in the store would I find it? Will be looking for more of the goodies you got, too.

It is in their refrigerated cheese section.  My TJ's has it with the soft cheeses (Brie, Gorgonzola, etc.).  It comes in triangles like the Brie, not in containers like other Ricotta. 

This time of year, I just cruise the aisles.  But, I was hoping they had that lemon stuff again this year.   

Before you go, go their website and look at the Frequent Flyer - all the Christmas goodies are there.  You may like some that I didn't (although it looks like I didn't leave any behind!!)

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 5:31 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Good luck -- it does sound pretty bad.  Just be sure to take care of yourself -- working so many hours can take a toll on your immune system.

It can, but thankfully, it is for a limited time, only November to December. I'm taking it easy otherwise.

On 12/12/2021 at 6:12 PM, slidergirl said:

Yes. People have met deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums and have to have to schedule the carpal tunnel that's bugged them for 12 years by the end of the year. 🙄 Don't get me wrong--I appreciate all the work and *love* my jog--most days.

On 12/13/2021 at 6:19 AM, awhfy said:

Have your husband feed you chocolate & wine as you walk thru the door!!!

He's retired, so it's his job to keep me fed.  The surgeons buy us lots of meals in December, so last night's meal used a bunch of leftovers from a Mexican restaurant. The late staff cleaned the leftovers before the weekend and to make room for three more meals this week.

On 12/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, awhfy said:

That’s why I’ve never had scheduled surgery in November or December!  Everyone is trying to use before they have to pay a new copay 

I have to say that I did schedule surgery one December--I had already paid 6K out of pocket and didn't want to have to pay more. I had a minor/major surgery on Dec. 23 and called out of work for two days. Never saw a bill.

So far, it's not been bad. I worked 8.5 hours Monday and nine today (two of my 10-hour shifts). I'm off tomorrow, but a coworker did ask me to work tomorrow and I declined-tomorrow is signing day and her son is declaring for NCSU's football team. Thursday looks busy, but Friday and Saturday should both be done by 1:30 or 2:00. Either way, double pay for both days is going to my new camera fund.

I am tired, but not exhausted. Drinking a nice Sonoma County chardonnay and watching a show about the Regal Princess. 

• Like 2

Kat:   I bought the bacon wrapped scallops & can't wait to try them 🙂. Couldn't find the lemon ricotta (looked in freezer section) but thanks for directions.... will go there tomorrow after work 

In other news, our entire state went to mandatory indoor masks today...  our county (L.A.) never really went out except for a couple of weeks in the summer... it feels like this is never, ever going to end lol

@PurpleHays hope the rest of your crazy week goes ok....  & that you get to sleep in as long as you like on Sunday 😉

• Like 2

Kat, I finally went to our Trader Joe’s (I avoid it like the plague as they share a tiny parking lot with Costco & it’s crazy). Bacon wrapped scallops, check. Peppermint meringues, check. Didn’t see any of the others. Looking forward to both. 

move is done for oldest daughter. Today I’m timing swim meet for other daughter. 

granddaughter has decided she wants to make her own bday cake, so we’re ‘shopping’ for all her specialty items. & all she wants are Papa burgers (my husband’s special hamburgers & homefries). Whole family is happy!!

cookies etc this year might be scarce. I’ve damaged my (non dominant hand) thumb joint…likely looking at surgery but will wait till January…rolling cookies is a no go right now

• Like 1

Good morning to all!  We are back from a 14 day cruise on Harmony, had a lovely, relaxing time in the Caribbean and Mexico, although I may have had a few too many margaritas at Maya Chan on Costa Maya,  but not my fault they kept handing them to me.😂

Time to catch up with everyone and get ready for Christmas.  Our son is flying to the US from Australia, although I keep expecting Australia to tighten up again with the advent of Omicron.  We have not seen him for over three years.  The new variant is beginning to spread throughout Florida and I think I am the only one wearing a mask if I have to be around a large group for any length of time.  Florida has laws now that do not allow local governments to require any type of mitigation, they can only recommend mask wearing, distancing, etc. 

Hope everyone is well !

Sherri🙂

• Like 3

Sherri, how was the seaweed situation at Maya Chan?  We went in October & it was horrendous, they actually refunded our reservation (without our asking for consideration). We returned home to a refund from PayPal

Sherri, welcome back!   I hope your son is able to visit, that's such a long time to go without visits!

Melody, damn, your poor hand... & another surgery...that stinks

However, the birthday celebration sounds like fun... & your husbands burgers & fries sound really, really good 🙂.   

I'm taking a few hours today to do a little shopping,  will do some work, & then hit up Trader Joes's again for that cheese that Kat mentioned. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Sherri, how was the seaweed situation at Maya Chan?  We went in October & it was horrendous, they actually refunded our reservation (without our asking for consideration). We returned home to a refund from PayPal

It was great, no seaweed at all!  We had booked Maya Chan for a cruise in April, 2020, cruise of course got cancelled and they let me move the reservation to a cruise in May, 2020 which also got cancelled.  Never heard anything from  them and I decided they probably needed the money more than we did so just let it go.  When I made a reservation for this cruise, I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from the owner telling me we had a full credit and did not owe anything.  They are very nice people there!

Sherri 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Kat:   I bought the bacon wrapped scallops & can't wait to try them 🙂. Couldn't find the lemon ricotta (looked in freezer section) but thanks for directions.... will go there tomorrow after work 

In other news, our entire state went to mandatory indoor masks today...  our county (L.A.) never really went out except for a couple of weeks in the summer... it feels like this is never, ever going to end lol

@PurpleHays hope the rest of your crazy week goes ok....  & that you get to sleep in as long as you like on Sunday 😉

The lemon ricotta is in the refrigerated cheese section.  It is cut into triangles like the Brie and stuff.  

Well, my work has mandatory masks - the 5 of us got it approved by corporate as the boss' husband had cancer and is going through treatments so we want to take NO chances.   Give my county another 2-3 weeks and I can see us going back to masks everywhere.  We're already in "red" status, but we get our horde of Christmas Tourists coming into town starting next week, so we'll have thousands running around sans masks 😒

It's me and the maintenance guy today at work, so I'm slacking as much as possible.  Still getting things done, but sitting at the desk a lot.  The one time I got up, I had the UPS guy show up and I didn't get to give his a package back.  Sigh.   Yesterday, we listened to Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas/Winter music.  Today, I've got Manheim Steamroller going.  I might switch to TSO if I get tired - their music really perks me up.  Nothing like heavy metal Christmas music.  

Hey, any of you who have been to Italy ever been to Nove?  It's about 2 hours from Bologna, 1.5 from Venice and 3.5 from Florence.  It's a little nothing town except for it's ton of ceramics shops and ceramics outlets.  I was salivating looking at it last night.  It looks like a great place to go shopping for a wedding gift for my grand-niece.  

Tomorrow I have off so I can work on my router issue.  Ever have a router with sentimental value?  It's the last thing I bought with my cisco Systems employee discount back in 2005 or so.  It always worked and I didn't need anything more powerful.  

OOTD:  Sunny and 17 degrees at 2pm.  But I'm inside, so a big white shirt and my black yoga pants.  My gray Chaco booties.  If I have to go out, I've got my plush pullover hoodie.  

• Like 1

Melody - please stop messing up body parts!!!!!  Sorry 'bout the thumb.  I have arthritis in my left lower thumb joint from a looooong time ago - a ski accident in 1972.  It reminds me every once in awhile every week about that dang ski trip.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sjb317 said:

It was great, no seaweed at all!  We had booked Maya Chan for a cruise in April, 2020, cruise of course got cancelled and they let me move the reservation to a cruise in May, 2020 which also got cancelled.  Never heard anything from  them and I decided they probably needed the money more than we did so just let it go.  When I made a reservation for this cruise, I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from the owner telling me we had a full credit and did not owe anything.  They are very nice people there!

Sherri 🙂

Great people with scary good margaritas!  We were so surprised to get the refund