for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

totally agree, she should not have to pay service charge for their mistake 🙂

had some unsettling news, my son in laws brother is in hospital with covid....  he's unvaccinated, how wife & kids have it too...  so upsetting that it could have been avoided...he's 39, & healthy..

Hi Debbie, ohhhhh wow......so sorry about that news😧........I am guessing the nurses are telling him it is now too late to get a shot.  Was he planning to get one and just never got around to it? Or is he in the "anti vax" group? (just curious). I am sure they knew you were part of the trials........

Wishing all of them the best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

totally agree, she should not have to pay service charge for their mistake 🙂

had some unsettling news, my son in laws brother is in hospital with covid....  he's unvaccinated, how wife & kids have it too...  so upsetting that it could have been avoided...he's 39, & healthy..

Oh gosh.  I hate to hear this about anyone.  Hoping for the best for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Debbie, ohhhhh wow......so sorry about that news😧........I am guessing the nurses are telling him it is now too late to get a shot.  Was he planning to get one and just never got around to it? Or is he in the "anti vax" group? (just curious). I am sure they knew you were part of the trials........

Wishing all of them the best.

thank you 🙂

He is definitely an anti vaxxer, my SIL is so upset about his brother...  hopefully he will make a full recovery   (just to be clear, this is son in laws brother)

11 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

thank you 🙂

He is definitely an anti vaxxer, my SIL is so upset about his brother...  hopefully he will make a full recovery   (just to be clear, this is son in laws brother)

Hope he & family recover

• Like 1

Hi girls🙂,  Debbie, hope your sil's brother and family are doing ok. 

Well, I decided to try and figure out what to take to Alaska......have lots of things out on the bed in the spare room and other things hanging in the closet (in the same room).  Lots of long sleeves and long pants......but I did realize I have some very easy items to pack for daytime. Joggers for one......I have a pair of mauve colored ones, black ones and a new pair of camo colored ones too. Also some slim leg black jeans but they are more comfortable than denim.....they are like a knit and will work great too.

They are not what I consider skinny but a slim leg. That is 4. And a pair of grey twill.....they are casual and comfortable on.........that is 5. Thinking those 5 would work for days......but I am really a top girl LOL....I have way more tops out......have to figure out which ones to take. And then I have my other slacks for evenings........with nicer tops. 

• Like 2

We just got back from our first trip to see my parents in about five years. Durham NC to Podunk MO--10+ hours the first day, three the next. Four days there, then three hours to STL. Two days there, 90 minutes to the Il side StL for a three hour visit. Then a four hour drive to Lexington KY. Today, Lexington to Durham in seven hours. All that driving added up to about 2000 miles, mostly in two big trips. We. Are. Exhausted. My CR-V is unpacked along with my backpack. I have one carry on to unpack tomorrow plus all the assorted items my Mom sent home with me, including a bunch of plants for hubby to plant.  I also harvested about seven cups of cherry and pear tomatoes plus some bigger ones.

I wore a mask if I was in public. It was quite unnerving to see just how many people weren't, even in StL where a mask mandate was just instituted. I'm vaccinated, but have chronic lung disease. We cancelled two things we wanted to do (the original Bass Pro in Springfield and the Cardinals game) because of increasing Delta variant and d^(%*#) non-compliant crowds.

• Like 2

Lois, I'm still deep in work & our flip, but packing is at the back of my head....  I know you did a few Alaska Celebrity cruises...  may I ask how most people dressed in the evenings ?

Love hearing about your packing plans, & can't wait to do mine 🙂

We went out yesterday & bought a new CRV (special edition touring)   It’s Aegean Blue (that bright blue, easy to see in snow 😉). No plans to do it, our 2015 CRV only had 51,000 miles on it. They were offering a free inspection & oil change, we figured why not. I guess used cars are in high demand. They offered us $2000 less than we paid for it with a fabulous deal on the new one. It’ll be in Monday or Tuesday (they had to find the color we wanted) easiest car purchase we never planned on. Melody

• Like 3

Good morning, PH, you had not seen your Mom in 5 years? Or you just had not gone to visit her? I mean have you actually seen her since 2016?  Sounds like a VERY long trip.

Debbie, it has been quite a long time since I sailed to Alaska but I will tell you what I do and what I actually remember. LOL......I know folks who sail to Alaska always say "it is less formal".  Well, that is probably true but I still try to look decent when I go to dinner.  I honestly don't remember what the majority wore on formal nights. But I pretty much dress the same on whatever itinerary I am sailing. 

I am not a "dress gal"........I wear dressy slacks and nice tops.....I have 2 pair of pants that I use for formal nights.......one is black that has flecks of gold threads running throughout.  They are quite nice.

Normally I have a black top that has gold embellishment that runs from left to right on the neckline.

I was going through my clothes and forgot I have a really pretty black fine gauge sweater (pullover) that has small gold embellishments on the front and it goes perfectly with the pants.

The 2nd pair of slacks are black but on the outside of the legs is a beautiful floral panel....they are a jersey material and I am wearing a new black top I got to go with it.

Hope this helps you a bit. I would wear these on whatever cruise line I would be sailing.

The other nights, I have multiple pairs of pants that are "no wrinkle"......black, grey and periwinkle.......will alternate them with different tops. Oh and a really nice pair of ponte knit pants that are VERY comfy.......they can actually be dressed up or down. 

• Like 1

Lois those evening clothes sound perfect fir any cruise line. I’m bringing a black crepe jumpsuit that I’ll wear for both elegant chic nights. One night with a sparkly (black sequined) wrap & one night with statement jewelry.  

10 minutes ago, awhfy said:

We went out yesterday & bought a new CRV (special edition touring)   It’s Aegean Blue (that bright blue, easy to see in snow 😉). No plans to do it, our 2015 CRV only had 51,000 miles on it. They were offering a free inspection & oil change, we figured why not. I guess used cars are in high demand. They offered us $2000 less than we paid for it with a fabulous deal on the new one. It’ll be in Monday or Tuesday (they had to find the color we wanted) easiest car purchase we never planned on. Melody

WOW...Congrats on the new vehicle😃

• Like 1

Just now, awhfy said:

Lois those evening clothes sound perfect fir any cruise line. I’m bringing a black crepe jumpsuit that I’ll wear for both elegant chic nights. One night with a sparkly (black sequined) wrap & one night with statement jewelry.  

Thanks😃. I do remember when I just sailed to Greece, the ship seemed chilly in a lot of spaces.......

since this one is to Alaska, I am brining many more long sleeved tops! Both casual for day and nicer ones for evening. 

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

We bought a new car at the end of May and we're still learning the technology!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mafig said:

We bought a new car at the end of May and we're still learning the technology!

Yup, cars are smarter than we are, I’ll have our grandkids show us how to use it!!

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Congrats on the new car!  We are a long-time Volvo and Honda family. I've had two of each and DS now has an Accord. Very nice, safe, reliable cars -- hope you put it to good use!

Well, uncharacteristically for me, I made a quick decision yesterday and booked a European river cruise on Viking. Viking rarely has deals with NO solo supplement, so when I got an email on Friday night, I knew I had to jump on it if possible. 

My first choice wasn't available with the zero supplement, but I ended up booking an 8-day itinerary that does a round trip from Bordeaux.  Lots of wine, cognac, truffle, etc. excursions + charming old towns. 😁.  I had to book it yesterday as that was the last day for their "guarantee" where you can cancel risk-free up to 14 days in advance. Their included airfare was half of what I'd pay booking it myself, and I can add pre- and post-cruise stops if I want.

It's hard to find good deals on river cruises, so I just had to do it. Now the nail-biting begins to see if it will actually be a "go"... 😂😱

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, uncharacteristically for me, I made a quick decision yesterday and booked a European river cruise on Viking. Viking rarely has deals with NO solo supplement, so when I got an email on Friday night, I knew I had to jump on it if possible. 

My first choice wasn't available with the zero supplement, but I ended up booking an 8-day itinerary that does a round trip from Bordeaux.  Lots of wine, cognac, truffle, etc. excursions + charming old towns. 😁.  I had to book it yesterday as that was the last day for their "guarantee" where you can cancel risk-free up to 14 days in advance. Their included airfare was half of what I'd pay booking it myself, and I can add pre- and post-cruise stops if I want.

It's hard to find good deals on river cruises, so I just had to do it. Now the nail-biting begins to see if it will actually be a "go"... 😂😱

WOW😃..congrats on the new booking!..........when is it scheduled to sail? You didn't mention when you are sailing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

WOW😃..congrats on the new booking!..........when is it scheduled to sail? You didn't mention when you are sailing.

Thanks Lois.  The zero solo supplement is only for cruises departing in August or September, so I picked one at the end of September. No idea yet whether that timing will be good or bad with regards to COVID, vaccinations in France, and the delta variant. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks Lois.  The zero solo supplement is only for cruises departing in August or September, so I picked one at the end of September. No idea yet whether that timing will be good or bad with regards to COVID, vaccinations in France, and the delta variant. Stay tuned!

You will have to let us know all about it when you get back. I hope you have a fantastic trip😃

11 hours ago, awhfy said:

Melody, congrats!   So exciting...  & yes, now you get to play with the new technology... I'm still getting used to the stuff in my car... enjoy!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wow, so exciting!  I'm hoping that things are better in a few weeks, for all our sakes 🙂

Can't wait to hear about... I've always wanted to try a river cruise 🙂

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Wow, so exciting!  I'm hoping that things are better in a few weeks, for all our sakes 🙂

Can't wait to hear about... I've always wanted to try a river cruise 🙂

Hi Debbie, how is the family doing? I have done 2 river cruises....LOVE THEM😃

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, PH, you had not seen your Mom in 5 years? Or you just had not gone to visit her? I mean have you actually seen her since 2016?  Sounds like a VERY long trip.

The last time I saw them was the fall after we moved into this house (2015), so closer to six years. I started grad school in 2017.  Dad was diagnosed with early stage Alzheimers in 2019. I was supposed to go in April 2020 for a long weekend, but we all know what happened. . .Tried again in Jan 2021--again the numbers all going the wrong way. I almost cancelled this time too, but decided I needed to see them more than I needed to avoid Covid. 

21 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

@PurpleHays that is quite the road trip!   Must have been great to see your folks.... & good job on being careful...  there are a LOT of people in my pfizer trial testing positive...  most without any co-morb are fine...  feeling damn grateful for DH's booster 🙂

It was long and tiring. And Hubby isn't the best of travelers--he gets end-of-vacation crankies along about day six (while visiting his side of family)

• Like 2