for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Good morning, feeling all better today😀

I have a close friend who just returned from a cruise to Japan with some additional land days.........spoke to her yesterday and she LOVED, LOVED, LOVED It......She said she would go back on a total land trip because she just fell in love with Japan.

• Like 2

Hi again, you won't believe this....I posted a whole paragraph on the wrong board LOL......thankfully I was able to delete it. I thought I was posting on HERE......to my cruising gals and was on the Florida forum by accident LOL.😮

The point of that post was about the weather in Athens. I was checking on it for packing purposes. I will keep checking through next week. Right now it says 60s during the day and 40s at night. Trying to to decide what to bring for daytime touring. Will give everything another look. Not sure if 60 for them is colder for me.

Might have to pack a couple of extra pairs of joggers. I want to be comfy for tours.

• Like 1

Cynthia - I crack up at some of the items my friend posts.  The vending machines are crazy - I mean, would you buy a cooked chicken from a vending machine???  

Lois - yay for feeling better finally!  I do understand the "packing for weather" dilemma.  I'm the opposite of you - I'd be wearing shorts & long sleeve Ts in the 60s 🙂  I've put my ports on my weather app to track so I can decide at the very last minute which clothes to take.   If I was into joggers, I'd take different kinds of joggers - lightweight, heavier - that you can do depending on the daily weather.  Joggers just don't look all that good on me and I really wish they did. I'm still fretting over my rain shell purchase.  If I was doing just for this cruise I'd go with what I have now and have an umbrella handy (or a trash bag to wear inside the shell - did that before!!).  This is going to be my all the time rain shell for however long it lasts.  I really do have to get down the mountain to REI to try some on.  

Day off, but it's going to snow again. OOTD:   sweats, long sleeve Tshirt.   I feel like a slug today.

• Like 1

Glad your cold is behind you, Lois now that you are busy with packing decisions. I guess I’d be planning layers to accommodate different temps.

We did a short land trip to Japan several years ago and visited Kyoto and Osaka. We too loved our trip. In addition to interesting, amazing sights and food, we noticed that everyone was polite and would offer to help us if it looked like we needed directions.  We used public transportation which was a very different experience than here in the US. Everyone seemed to be nicely dressed, nobody  was eating and littering but the most surprising thing was that many students used the trains and busses, usually dressed in uniforms, and were very polite and well behaved. I wondered what visitors from zJapan must think when they visit the US.

More snow for you Kat and more rain for us! Travel wardrobe decisions….maybe a diversion from the snow?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Glad your cold is behind you, Lois now that you are busy with packing decisions. I guess I’d be planning layers to accommodate different temps.

We did a short land trip to Japan several years ago and visited Kyoto and Osaka. We too loved our trip. In addition to interesting, amazing sights and food, we noticed that everyone was polite and would offer to help us if it looked like we needed directions.  We used public transportation which was a very different experience than here in the US. Everyone seemed to be nicely dressed, nobody  was eating and littering but the most surprising thing was that many students used the trains and busses, usually dressed in uniforms, and were very polite and well behaved. I wondered what visitors from zJapan must think when they visit the US.

More snow for you Kat and more rain for us! Travel wardrobe decisions….maybe a diversion from the snow?

Started snowing about an hour ago.  Supposed to be about 3" overnight, 5" Thursday, and 6.5" on Friday, nothing on the weekend, then 9" on Monday.   I started thinking about which toque to take with me - my plain black beanie or my granny square one I posted a month ago or so.  

• Like 1

Well you asked and I answered. In Naha this morning after enjoying some highbrow sights, including a temple gate so famous it is pictured on the 2,000 yen bank note, I hied myself to the closest Family Mart convenience store. For those that don’t know, convenience stores in Japan are so much more than in the US. It’s hard to describe…. You can get hot food to go, use the ATM, etc. 

I wanted to try the famous “famchiki” chicken (beloved by one of my favorite You-Tubers (Abroad in Japan). Lo and behold, they also had the squid ink chips:

D5FAB9F1-8AB2-42EF-AC33-C590487255BA.thumb.jpeg.119ecfc777164ef6ede58a717b744d18.jpegC90638CC-D1AC-4AD5-984D-F77F1F815355.thumb.jpeg.ce8b042f081c33cbde25ec5810b64f35.jpeg

I also got some more boring snacks such as wasabi peas and spicy peanuts.

So the chips: to my surprise they’re pretty good, despite the off putting color. (Not as gray as the picture on the bag but still pretty unappetizing.) They taste like real sea salt with a tiny taste of fish sauce maybe? I was eating them on the street so I didn’t get a pic of the chips. The chicken was good for all the bad reasons, nicely fried with more herbs and spices than the Colonel (KFC).

So there you have it. Next challenge?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good to hear from you Cynthia🙂

Kat, not sure if you saw my reply to your dress question on that other thread?......hope we are good😀

We're good.  I was just trying to poke some fun at the shorts thing with a "short" dress.   It's a thing I've had since I was a schoolgirl - I could never understand why we couldn't wear shorts to school or church, but my dresses/skirts were just as short.  A bare leg was a bare leg.  And, I fought my high school to be able to wear pants instead of skirts/dresses.  I couldn't understand that one, either.  Just a hippie rebel. 

Cynthia - those look exactly like the chips my friend had!    Have you ever had one of the convenience store tuna salad sandwiches?  I think it has to do with the japanese mayo used.

Nasty, thick snow on the driveway this morning.  Ugh.  I just took my shovel and made a path on the driveway for the FedEx guy to use today - I just couldn't bear to shovel the whole thing yet.   

OOTD; more sweats & Tshirts.  3 days off with nothing to do, nowhere to go, is kind of nice.  

• Like 1

Hi, I forgot I had a pair of Cuddle Duds joggers😀 and they actually fit me better than my ones from The Loft. (Those are really too big on me now). But my Cuddle Duds? They are perfect!

• Like 1

Hi girls, I have sort of a fun post. I received an email from Cruise Critic asking if I would like to participate in an interview about cruising.  I just got finished and the gals who conducted the interview were very nice. We did it over the phone and it last about 45 minutes. Questions about my years of cruising, how I usually book, a bit about me as well. Different topics were covered. They also asked me what suggestions I would give a first time cruiser. But I told them I cruise solo so my thoughts may not apply to a couple or family. But I gave them my thoughts as honestly as possible. 

They thanked me very much🙂

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I forgot I had a pair of Cuddle Duds joggers😀 and they actually fit me better than my ones from The Loft. (Those are really too big on me now). But my Cuddle Duds? They are perfect!

Lois - the Cuddle Duds do sound perfect.

I put on my denim skirt I bought at the beginning of the season this morning - I had about an extra 1.5" in the waist!!!  No clue how that happened.  So, I changed my OOTD to:  my white&black flowered Smartwool leggings, my black insulated miniskirt, my lt. gray Athleta hoodie sweater and my black lace up booties.  I bought the Smartwools to take to Alaska to spice up my wardrobe of dull, black leggings.  Super comfy and old hippie lady-like 😉.  This is one of the outfits I plan on wearing on the cruise.   Lois - I thought of wearing this if I went to the MDR, but, even though it adheres to the dress suggestions, it would probably be a little too much for some of the folk - I could always take my red cheetah leggings 😹

My HOA President decided he doesn't want to pay for me the extra week since there are no guests booked.  So, my last day is officially April 17.  That's OK.  I would have been just sitting at the front desk, listening to the radio, sipping lattes and surfing the 'web.  It gives me a few extra days back to do some stuff at home before I fly off to Seattle.

Cynthia - I saw on the HAL board that you are down with a sinus issue.  Ugh.  I hope those meds do their thing and you get back into the swing of things and help Hank spice up those dead evenings!!

Tomorrow is Gaper Day here in Park City.  It is to celebrate those gapers who ski and ride around the world.  What is a gaper, you ask? <totally tongue in cheek>  "A skier or snowboarder who sucks and is usually spotted wearing clothing from 1983, but other clothing styles for them do exist. A dead giveaway of a gaper is when their pants are tucked into their boots and the famous "Gaper Gap" (a gap between the helmet/hat and the goggles)."  It's a big thing here to dive into those old ski suits and things and just go out and have fun.  I don't have any of my onsies anymore, but I do have one of my pullover jackets saved that I'll wear.  I'll wear my jeans, too, as that was when people could be spotted wearing jeans skiing (I was guilty of that on Spring days).  

• Like 1

My ski valet did a quick pic of me standing next to our snow wall outside the Lodge.  Guests have to go up the steps we've built to get to the lift.  Usually it's just 2 steps up from the walk... I'm 5'8".

Oh - this is a bad photo, but it's what I wore today and what I jokingly said I'd wear in the MDR...

snowwall.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 12:04 AM, purduemom1 said:

Lets see, Cynthia leaves this aFriday, Lois leaves in April I believe and Kat the end of April. I’m lining up my virtual cruising, looking forward to details and maybe some pictures. Anyone else have a cruise coming up?

Do you have any cruise plans in the works?

I leave April 9th for a Caribbean cruise for my 60th. 

My DH has been complaining of groin pain for months. Wanted me to diagnosis it for him, but I stuck to  "it's out of my scope of nursing practice" and insisted he go to his GP. He finally went this week. She sent him for a CT that is suggestive of a hernia. She also used the words "necrotic" and "collapsed" with his hip. Hmmm. We see an orthopedic surgeon Monday. Good thing I work for an ortho practice since he's looking at a replacement. . .after the cruise. We will know more Monday. 

5 minutes ago, PurpleHays said:

My DH has been complaining of groin pain for months. Wanted me to diagnosis it for him, but I stuck to  "it's out of my scope of nursing practice" and insisted he go to his GP. He finally went this week. She sent him for a CT that is suggestive of a hernia. She also used the words "necrotic" and "collapsed" with his hip. Hmmm. We see an orthopedic surgeon Monday. Good thing I work for an ortho practice since he's looking at a replacement. . .after the cruise. We will know more Monday. 

Man, we're all having bad luck this year!  Hope it's a "normal" hernia...  

I keep thinking I should have chosen the Caribbean for my post-winter cruise.  But, Alaska was cheaper and it's warmer there than it is here right now 😹  Have a fun cruise! 

Man, my feet look HUGE in that photo!!!  Honestly, they aren't.  They are 8.5 (39).  The angle he took the shot is weird.  But, they are boots I'm taking with me.  My friend up North said the ladies are wearing these kinds of leather boots all the time now.  Comfy, good lug sole, can wear with everything.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

My ski valet did a quick pic of me standing next to our snow wall outside the Lodge.  Guests have to go up the steps we've built to get to the lift.  Usually it's just 2 steps up from the walk... I'm 5'8".

Oh - this is a bad photo, but it's what I wore today and what I jokingly said I'd wear in the MDR...

snowwall.jpg

I think you look great!  & I’d totally wear that into the MDR

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Hope hubs is ok. Sounds like he’ll need your ortho surgeon. Enjoy your bday cruise!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

Good morning, wishing your hubby all the best......that sounds pretty painful!

Oh, you leave next Sunday? Sending you early Happy Birthday wishes😀I leave a week from today!

• Like 2

Melody - my trusty old Slider would sit and watch NCIS.  So, when I'd go to work, I'd put the TV on whichever network was doing the reruns of NCIS.  

Cynthia - have you ever tried an egg salad sandwich (tamago sando) from a Japanese 7-11???

I think my weather will be good on Thursday to go birthday shopping for myself.  It's probably going to be the rain shell.  I'm stuck between 2 of them and they are both $179.  I have to try them on and feel them for comfort and packability.   Until then, I've got snow coming tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday.   A potential of 3.5" Sunday, 14" on Monday and 8.5" on Tuesday.  After that beating, it's supposed to be sunny all the way to Monday the 10th.  

OOTD:  Kind of a gaper - old jeans, gray longsleeve T, my Patagonia wooly vest, a bandana on my head.  I used to LOVE wearing bandanas when I skied!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Cynthia - have you ever tried an egg salad sandwich (tamago sando) from a Japanese 7-11???

I haven’t tried that. Challenge for when we get back to Japan. Right now we are in Taiwan for second of two days. I sat out today’s planned private group excursion to several places of natural beauty such as Taroku gorge. It’s rainy and I feel like crap - pounding head and tired even after sleeping 9 hrs.

Sounds like there’s been more bad weather and tornadoes in the US - crazy year for weather! 😱

Edited by cruisemom42

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I haven’t tried that. Challenge for when we get back to Japan. Right now we are in Taiwan for second of two days. I sat out today’s planned private group excursion to several places of natural beauty such as Taroku gorge. It’s rainy and I feel like crap - pounding head and tired even after sleeping 9 hrs.

Sounds like there’s been more bad weather and tornadoes in the US - crazy year for weather! 😱

So sorry you’re feeling bad. Taroku gorge is supposed to be stunning, but I’m not sure how much you would’ve seen in the rain 

Cynthia - sorry you are so under the weather.  Hope you feel better soon.

Found out last night that 2 of my owners are pretty sure they had the 'vid last week!  Fortunately, they stayed in their condo most of the time.  I did take cookies up last weekend when they didn't come down for them as usual.  But, I had enough contact with them that I have to watch myself.  My cough has come back and I was thinking allergy, but now...  ugh.  

OOTD:  jeans and the blue & white striped shirt.  It's going to be a very slow day at work - no checkins, 1 checkout.