Deposit Refund

Lyndihop

2 hours ago, JuliaScott150 said:

Kfrech, I too paid with my Chase credit card. Full payment was due on January 31, so when HAL cancelled our May cruise on March 31, I was already at the 60 day period for disputing the charge. Our TA requested a full refund (about $4,900) around April 1 and at that point the HAL website said refunds were taking 60 days, which would put my refund coming about June 1. Were you past the 60 day dispute period (based on date of payment) when you disputed the charge with Chase? I'm hoping that if I dispute it within 60 days of SAIL DATE  I'll be OK. I'm willing to give HAL until the second week in June, but at that point I plan to dispute. Based on your experience would that work? 

JuliaScott, the only timeline that you need to follow is that which is explicitly dictated by your credit card issuer.  You certainly don't need to follow the cruise company's time line.  In fact, doing so may put you at risk of not being able to resolve it through a dispute.  Contact your card issuer immediately and initiate your dispute.  If you are asked to wait until June 1 then of course that is what you should do.

Editing my post to add that Chase was great about the dispute.  I submitted online, and was able to get a provisional (and ultimately final) credit despite having paid off the cruise balance on the card in February.

Edited by funintehsun

On 3/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, Lyndihop said:

I’m just a little concerned if bankruptcy might be on the horizon. 

Cruise cheerleades have been saying that it is too far ways down the road and your money is protected.  IMO, why take a chance.  I would wait little longer and act upon your best interest to protect yourself.

Thanks to both for your advice.  I will discuss with my travel agent to confirm what info, if any, she has received from HAL. Will update when I have more info. Good luck to all in getting the refunds...it IS a bit scary to have the situation drag on and on...

• Like 1

I cancelled our July 11 cruise on March 30. It had a few specialty dinners and/or excursion things on it that I had booked and forgot about. Those were just refunded to me ($272 worth in total). My $350 deposit has not yet refunded. But I also just cancelled a Celebrity cruise and was told 60 days for refund of deposit. So 60 days for the HAL cruise refund will be May 30th ish. And today is the 16th. So I will wait. I only just cancelled my Celebrity cruise so I have a lot longer to wait for that refund. 

17 hours ago, promosinc said:

Same for me - I cancelled a mid-December cruise on April 2. I'm entitled to a full refund of my deposit. I was told it would take up to 60 days. That's unacceptable. I'm not their bank. They're just looking for interest-free loans. Now the HAL rep is saying 60 days is what they're aiming for (could be longer) and says they are working from home and processing manually. All nonsense! I put the charge in dispute with my credit card company.

Have heard nothing from HAL on either cruise.  Did file a claim with my credit card company on the May 15th Cruise as amount paid was within the 60 day window.

chase reversed the charge.

7 hours ago, JuliaScott150 said:

Kfrech, I too paid with my Chase credit card. Full payment was due on January 31, so when HAL cancelled our May cruise on March 31, I was already at the 60 day period for disputing the charge. Our TA requested a full refund (about $4,900) around April 1 and at that point the HAL website said refunds were taking 60 days, which would put my refund coming about June 1. Were you past the 60 day dispute period (based on date of payment) when you disputed the charge with Chase? I'm hoping that if I dispute it within 60 days of SAIL DATE  I'll be OK. I'm willing to give HAL until the second week in June, but at that point I plan to dispute. Based on your experience would that work? 

The charge on my Chase card was made on 2/11/20. I disputed it on 4/22/20. It was resolved on 5/10/20.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, laumicmah said:

I cancelled our July 11 cruise on March 30. It had a few specialty dinners and/or excursion things on it that I had booked and forgot about. Those were just refunded to me ($272 worth in total). My $350 deposit has not yet refunded. But I also just cancelled a Celebrity cruise and was told 60 days for refund of deposit. So 60 days for the HAL cruise refund will be May 30th ish. And today is the 16th. So I will wait. I only just cancelled my Celebrity cruise so I have a lot longer to wait for that refund. 

So, the $350 deposit has not been refunded yet I just cancelled my March Celebrity cruise last week and my $900 deposit with them WAS refunded already. What the heck HAL!!!!! 

Edited by laumicmah

Just realized we also paid for travel insurance and it seems Expedia did not cancel that. So they owe us $510. Tried to do online chat with Expedia and they kept saying they couldn't help and would transfer me to someone who could. Then said they did not see any cruises on my account. Kept going around in circles. Nothing resolved. 

On 5/16/2020 at 7:28 PM, roberts2005 said:

Have heard nothing from HAL on either cruise.  Did file a claim with my credit card company on the May 15th Cruise as amount paid was within the 60 day window.

chase reversed the charge.

When your credit card company reverses a disputed charge, that is only a temporary credit for a period of time (30 - 60 days usually) during which they give the merchant time to respond. If they side with the merchant, they will remove the temporary credit, so it's a start, but not necessarily final.

UPDATE: Just got word from my credit card company that they have resolved the dispute in my favor. This was for my deposit paid to HAL in January for a mid-December 2020 Antarctica cruise. I'm very pleased that it was handled so quickly. I asked several times if they wanted me to submit documentation of the cancellation but they didn't seem interested. I'm still cautiously optimistic, because with other credit card companies I have seen disputes permanently resolved and then reversed. But for now, I'm happy. I certainly wouldn't leave something like this in the hands of a travel agent. My advice is handle it directly with your credit card company and usually you have at the very least 6 months to put a charge in dispute.

Edited by promosinc
typo
  • Like 1

Every credit card company seems to handle these situations differently. I disputed a charge for $2700 with Citibank. I also had 2 other smaller charges ($950 and $800) toward the same cruise, but charged at different times. I had to file 3 different disputes with this one card. The $2700 dispute prompted them to ask for additional information. I provided it and got a ruling this morning in favor of the merchant....what??? I contacted them immediately. They said sometimes it just depends on the investigator. I initiated another dispute. If they ruled in favor of the merchant for the $2700 amount, what about the other smaller charges that were made? Shouldn't they have ruled in favor of the merchant for all of them?

Chase was wonderful deal with--$900 charge and dispute was settled within 3 weeks permanently. No additional information required.

4 minutes ago, Kfrech said:

Every credit card company seems to handle these situations differently. I disputed a charge for $2700 with Citibank. I also had 2 other smaller charges ($950 and $800) toward the same cruise, but charged at different times. I had to file 3 different disputes with this one card. The $2700 dispute prompted them to ask for additional information. I provided it and got a ruling this morning in favor of the merchant....what??? I contacted them immediately. They said sometimes it just depends on the investigator. I initiated another dispute. If they ruled in favor of the merchant for the $2700 amount, what about the other smaller charges that were made? Shouldn't they have ruled in favor of the merchant for all of them?

Chase was wonderful deal with--$900 charge and dispute was settled within 3 weeks permanently. No additional information required.

My positive experience was also with Chase.

Oh crap. Filed dispute today with my CC....Citi. It's an Expedia Citi too and that's who I booked the cruise with. I guess they will deny my claim. Paid this deposit and travel insurance in April 2019. Cancelled on March 30, 2020. Cruise was for July 11, 2020. They owe me $510. 

Cancelled my Celebrity cruise for March 2021 on May 11th and have been refunded the $900 deposit as well as the $114 travel insurance. That was booked through Vacations to go. Will ALWAYS book with them from now on and NEVER Expedia again. And will be cancelling that Citi card too if they deny my claim. Also won't ever cruise HAL. 

Edited by laumicmah

I finally received my deposit refund yesterday. I cancelled the cruise on March 28th, well before the final payment was due. Since then HAL cancelled the entire cruise.

So it was pretty much exactly 60 days before I received my refund.

HAL issued our refund for our cancelled March 19 cruise, and some extras we had prepaid for, on May 29, 2020. 

AMEX has posted the credit to my account as of this this morning.

That makes it about 75 days ( +/- ) since we got notice that the cruise was cancelled.

I hope others see their refund activity in about the same amount of time.

Stay safe out there......

Update to my wait for refund -

I am awaiting  refund for a cruise I cancelled on April 22 - received the future cruise deposits back, shore excursions, etc....

Went to HAL chat, and was advised it was put through on March 27, and the agent also quoted the last four digits of the credit card number in the conversation.  Hopefully it will show up in the next few days.... 

Advantage : I took a screenshot of the chat session.  All other telephone inquiries in the past have netted vague  and canned responses (I have had 3 cancelled cruises, one of which was a Japan cruise in April - dealt with quickly as it was the beginning of cancellations).

So it seems they are progressing - although my cancellation did not involve any future cruise credits to be figured and banked, etc.   It was a straightforward transaction and I cancelled of my own accord.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

3 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

Update to my wait for refund -

I am awaiting  refund for a cruise I cancelled on April 22 - received the future cruise deposits back, shore excursions, etc....

Went to HAL chat, and was advised it was put through on March 27, and the agent also quoted the last four digits of the credit card number in the conversation.  Hopefully it will show up in the next few days.... 

Advantage : I took a screenshot of the chat session.  All other telephone inquiries in the past have netted vague  and canned responses (I have had 3 cancelled cruises, one of which was a Japan cruise in April - dealt with quickly as it was the beginning of cancellations).

So it seems they are progressing - although my cancellation did not involve any future cruise credits to be figured and banked, etc.   It was a straightforward transaction and I cancelled of my own accord.

Carol

So you are past the 60 days they are claiming they need. The last time I spoke to HAL rep (about 40 days in) she told me 60 days was just an approximation. The first time she had said up to 60 days. Either way, to me it's very interesting how they are controlling the 60-day window, which is when most people seem to be getting their refunds. They are only controlling it to use your money as their interest-free loan. No way is it a matter of being backed up. They are taking advantage. I hope you have this in dispute already with your credit card company. That's how I got my refund. Easy peasy.

30 minutes ago, promosinc said:

So you are past the 60 days they are claiming they need. The last time I spoke to HAL rep (about 40 days in) she told me 60 days was just an approximation. The first time she had said up to 60 days. Either way, to me it's very interesting how they are controlling the 60-day window, which is when most people seem to be getting their refunds. They are only controlling it to use your money as their interest-free loan. No way is it a matter of being backed up. They are taking advantage. I hope you have this in dispute already with your credit card company. That's how I got my refund. Easy peasy.

Your math is faulty, I was 35 days , not 60.   Don’t be so fast to point the finger.  Go do the math - April 22 to May 27

I would have disputed at the 60 day mark , because my card company advised me to wait the time told, and it was written in a chat message to me.

Previously, I had been waiting for 5 shore excursions to be refunded, and was told 30 days (that was at end of March, a month previous)...  After 31 days I initiated a dispute, and before the case could be assigned - my refunds from HAL showed up.  I called the dispute department if this was conditional - and they said it was not issued by them - they were just in the process of starting my claim, contacting the vendor,    The agent looked at my account, and she dismissed  and closed the claim as the refunds were directly from HAL. 

BTW, that refund took 35 days,

I realize I have been fortunate to not wait long - many have been waiting for 2 months going on 3 months,   

But you certainly had my case figured wrong,  I see you are a  proponent of dispute claims.   

I am not a cheerleader for HAL in this refund process, but everyone should do what they feel comfortable with, whether it be waiting it out or filing a dispute claim.   

Also, the wait time for HAL chat was a few seconds, and I had more information through them, in one sentence, then a string of previous phone calls (reservations, shore excursions desks and even an account supervisor).

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer
  • Like 1

CJ, Thanks for the tip about using the chat feature on the HA website.  I just did that and was able to get some updated information regarding a cruise I canceled before final payment was due.  On May 30th, we hit 60 days out from our request.  Today I was able to find out that my refund was processed on May 27th, so I definitely feel like that is progress.   I have called and sent emails to my PCC and have not always gotten a response.  The chat feature was easy to use and without your mentioning it, I would not have thought to use it.  I will now be monitoring my credit card, hope I see my refund soon.  Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, Bkmat said:

CJ, Thanks for the tip about using the chat feature on the HA website.  I just did that and was able to get some updated information regarding a cruise I canceled before final payment was due.  On May 30th, we hit 60 days out from our request.  Today I was able to find out that my refund was processed on May 27th, so I definitely feel like that is progress.   I have called and sent emails to my PCC and have not always gotten a response.  The chat feature was easy to use and without your mentioning it, I would not have thought to use it.  I will now be monitoring my credit card, hope I see my refund soon.  Thanks again!

Glad it helped - although I hope we are not all getting a canned response “refunded May 27”.  LOL

Maybe that is when a new surge in either money, resources, manpower or better accounting procedures kicked in?

I did take a screen shot, so if they just “shoo’ed me off” I am armed with more information and ammunition to proceed with a credit card dispute.    I would think possibly a dispute would be “escalated” if I do not receive refund this week,

Fingers crossed that what was said was true,  It is not in HAL’s best interest to lie.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

1 hour ago, CJcruzer said:

although I hope we are not all getting a canned response “refunded May 27”

We aren't.  DH just did a chat and all he could find out was our refund "is in process" which is the same thing everyone else has told us.  We're at day 82 now -- although it does seem that those who are waiting for taxes, port fees and air are last in line no matter the date of the cruise.  Has anyone gotten refunds for that?  I haven't heard of any...

Again, thank you, it was worth a try!

21 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

We aren't.  DH just did a chat and all he could find out was our refund "is in process" which is the same thing everyone else has told us.  We're at day 82 now -- although it does seem that those who are waiting for taxes, port fees and air are last in line no matter the date of the cruise.  Has anyone gotten refunds for that?  I haven't heard of any...

Again, thank you, it was worth a try!

This past Saturday i got our port fees and cancellation policy refunds for our March 18 cruise.  HAL cancelled on March 13, we were packed and ready to go!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

This past Saturday i got our port fees and cancellation policy refunds for our March 18 cruise.  HAL cancelled on March 13, we were packed and ready to go!

Lol just when I think I've figured out their system I'm proven wrong once again. Hopefully we get ours before too much longer, our cruise was 2 weeks after yours.

4 hours ago, promosinc said:

sorry my original post mistakenly said March 27.  I cancelled April 22, chat agent on HAL today told me it was processed on MAY 27.  My typo, my bad - I apologize.

Carol