Deposit Refund

Lyndihop

Canceled a May 15 cruise, on March 10. Still have not received any credit card refund.  I’m entitled to a full cash refund less $600.00

also canceled a July 5th cruise, where I am entitled to a full deposit refund.  Have not received this either

Another question (or two):

Am I correct that it expires 2 years from the date I bought it onboard?

Do I have to book a cruise that starts or ends before that 2 year limit?  Or do I have to book a cruise by the 2 year limit (so future cruise is actually more that 2 years from initial purchase)?

My wife did an online chat with HAL and was told 60 days for 50% refund to credit card and we will be notified by email when our 50% FCC is applied to our account, in 4-6 weeks. We cancelled March 7th.

The cruise credit delay I'm fine with, but the refund should be done sooner than 60 days. They are holding our money. I too am worried about bankruptcy.

HA cancelled my April 5 cruise on 3/14.  I immediately requested a refund instead of FCC; I need the money now because of the "shelter in place".  I received a credit on 3/21 for my pre-ordered on board purchase.  I have not received my refund.  I went back to the HA original email and tried to resubmit.  I received  a response stating I had already requested my refund.  I am trying to be patient but it is one more stress in my life.

I was told 7-10 days also for a full refund. Looks like it will be longer. 

My PIF is still sitting on my credit card. I haven’t paid it yet because the payment is not due until mid April. I’d rather not hand over any more money at this point. I may dispute it with my credit card company. 

On 3/19/2020 at 2:23 PM, Lyndihop said:

Is anyone else having issues with HAL crediting back their deposit?

We cancelled ours a little over a week ago.  NOTHING YET.

In the past it has been posted to our credit card in less than 48hrs

Just cancelled an Oceania cruise. Was told deposit will take approximately one month. 

Also tried to cancel my "advance cruise" deposit with HAL and didn't fell like waiting on hold forever so I will try in the next few days. 

Is there anyone on here who cancelled in March who HAS gotten their money back from HAL?  I called asking about my refund (80% with cancellation policy) and got the canned 60 day script without being asked for my personal info.  If the reason for the delay is the sheer volume of refunds, logically that would mean some would have already received them since Hal has to start somewhere.  It would certainly calm my fears to know that they actually are working through a queue.

Unfortunately, the pessimist in me is thinking they aren't processing ANY refunds now and are hoping to pay out refunds from new bookings or worse, they are using our money to keep the lights on until the inevitable bankruptcy. 

Which leads me to my second question.  Has anyone had any success disputing the charge with their credit card company?  I booked my cruise in January and paid in full to HAL then.  I paid my credit card bill the month after.  Would disputing the charge still be an option for me?

48 minutes ago, funintehsun said:

Which leads me to my second question.  Has anyone had any success disputing the charge with their credit card company?  I booked my cruise in January and paid in full to HAL then.  I paid my credit card bill the month after.  Would disputing the charge still be an option for me?

I think it best you call your credit card company, even the "experts" on this board can't answer that, even though I am sure they will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, funintehsun said:

Unfortunately, the pessimist in me is thinking they aren't processing ANY refunds now and are hoping to pay out refunds from new bookings or worse, they are using our money to keep the lights on until the inevitable bankruptcy. 

Isn't that the definition of a Ponzi Scheme?

I looked at this thread because I was wondering why it was taking so long to get a refund from the shore excursions I cancelled. Now I would be afraid to give HAL any more money at all. I have a final payment due in May, I was going to wait until then to decide if I should cancel the cruise. I am considering canceling now, and maybe I get a refund in 60 days to 90 days. I definitely don't want to put more money at risk. 

I have 3k sitting on a credit card waiting to be paid for an Alaskan cruise in June. I haven’t paid it and I won’t. I’ll take it up with the credit card company. I’m not letting go of anymore money at this point. 

We had B2B2B cruises starting March 7th. We had to disembark on the 14th in San Diego (Oosterdam) We rec'd a credit back on our card for the EBP, laundry, internet, and specialty restaurants for the 2nd Mexican Riviera cruise week, but not the 100% refund plus 100% FCC. We have rec'd NOTHING back on the 4 week Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas cruise that was due to sail on March 21st. We also bought the Premium insurance packages and haven't gotten anything back on those either. 

I had a "chat" this morning with HAL and got the "60 day" answer. I chatted back saying I couldn't book our next year's cruise without getting a refund or FCC on our account. HAL said sorry about that, doing the best they can..

So, we're waiting. I just can't sink more money into HAL's piggy bank til I know we'll actually see some promising refunds out there.. 

2020 was going to be a great year for us with cruising.  We had 4 booked  (64 days),  all on different lines.  So far we have requested cash back on two of them and we will handle the other two soon as they are later in the year.

1 minute ago, Lyndihop said:

Was told today to expect a minimum of 60 days. Funny, when I booked it, took less than 24 hours and charge my card. 
I don’t have a good feeling about this 😢

Good point.  This is exactly why we passed on the FCC.  I would rather wait on the cash then worry about FCC.  

We all have to do what is best for our own peace of mind.

3 minutes ago, Lyndihop said:

Was told today to expect a minimum of 60 days. Funny, when I booked it, took less than 24 hours and charge my card. 
I don’t have a good feeling about this 😢

I’m with you. HAL owes me 12 thousand, I’m afraid I will never see it. 

8 hours ago, Kfrech said:

I have 3k sitting on a credit card waiting to be paid for an Alaskan cruise in June. I haven’t paid it and I won’t. I’ll take it up with the credit card company. I’m not letting go of anymore money at this point. 

I called my CC card earlier. I was advised today to NOT pay the 3K. Interest will accrue, however, I was told that once the credit from HAL appears on my credit card, I can call the credit card company and they will refund the interest charged. They will only do that if you call.

Once the full credit appears on my card, the 3K that is in "limbo" (for lack of a better term), will be negated.

I paid for a cruise in full way in advance as it is nice not having to worry about it.  It has never backfired before but did this time. My TA informed me it is an automated process for the cruise lines to process refunds and a delay is probably due to cash flow issues.  I have $6,100 due to come back to the credit card and booked a different vacation later on in the year for about the same amount.  I figured the credit would post before 4/15 when my credit card is due.  Thankfully I have the available cash to pay for the other vacation or would otherwise be in big trouble.

I am not able to dispute the charge with the credit card company as it was completed months ago.  I may be out of $6,000 which is an expensive lesson to learn.  I'm still hoping for a refund but it is not looking too hopeful at this point or not at least before my credit card is due.  I don't think it is worth trying to go through their arbitration process and I'm not sure small a small court claim is an option.

HAL may be bruised by these type of actions for years to come.  My wife and I have another 10 to 20 years of active vacations left and will have a hard time supporting a company who did not honor their refund policy in a timely manner.

Good luck to the rest of you waiting for refunds.

• Like 1

I'm waiting too for a cash refund of 6K.   If they would ONLY rebook my cruise for the same price/amenities for the same period next year, (Alaska Tour/Cruise) I'd let them do it.  Funny, but when I suggested this on another post, someone actually blasted me for that thought.  I guess it takes all types.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bvocruise said:

I paid for a cruise in full way in advance as it is nice not having to worry about it.  It has never backfired before but did this time. 

I may be out of $6,000 which is an expensive lesson to learn. 

A couple of months ago, I started a thread, saying how useless HAL sales were that featured a smaller deposit.

Now, I am eating crow, waiting 60 days to get a large deposit back. And there is a possibility that I will never get it back.