Deposit Refund

Lyndihop

Oh boy. Just, yesterday, cancelled our  2 cabins on a July cruise to Canada. Final payment was approaching. I booked via an online travel company that begins with Ex. They told me typically 7-10 days but might take longer. Uh... but he did not say 60 days. Also, I forgot to cancel our 2 specialty dining for 4 people I booked. I suppose that auto cancels when cruise booking is cancelled and normally refunds fairly quickly (I guess that might take time too)????

15 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Oh boy. Just, yesterday, cancelled our  2 cabins on a July cruise to Canada. Final payment was approaching. I booked via an online travel company that begins with Ex. They told me typically 7-10 days but might take longer. Uh... but he did not say 60 days. Also, I forgot to cancel our 2 specialty dining for 4 people I booked. I suppose that auto cancels when cruise booking is cancelled and normally refunds fairly quickly (I guess that might take time too)????

I canceled drink packages, Internet, dining and excursions 28 days ago. I have got nothing from HAL. Waiting for them to cancel June Alaska cruise from Vancouver , they no it’s not going to happen, so I can get my money back. They are delaying refunds for a reason. We will be lucky to see anything back from them. 

I think Holland America Line and all of the major cruise lines are looking at their cash situations.  This includes the deposit requirement for future cruises.  Yesterday, I made some inquiries about a future cruise in 2021.  The quoted fare seemed reasonable, but I was told that the price of the deposit would have to be raised.  In an abundance of caution, I did not book.  Quite frankly, I'm worried about the solvency of the cruise industry.

I assume this is a similar concern for the cruise industry. https://apple.news/Ae2UCGES9STaqY8SFy-Bskw

I was able to dispute our incidental charges online for our 3/14 cruise was that was cancelled with my credit card company but it said i had to call to dispute the actual trip charges and the wait times are well over an hour

On 3/22/2020 at 5:07 PM, Vict0riann said:

They could at least make some acknowledgement that they received our cancellations.  

I filled out the cancellation form yesterday and it was not acknowledged , would appreciate a reply also. I am willing to wait as I know they are really stretched to the limit and am thinking of those on Zaandam who need to get home.

I cancelled my Alla Tours private tour of St. Petersburg and received a refund in 24 hours. But HAL said it would be 60 days before I got my deposit back on my cancelled Baltic Cruise.

But I will be happy if I get anything back at all. I am not optimistic about the future of HAL, or the cruising industry in general.

I would wait a maximum of two weeks.   Then I would look at starting the charge dispute process with my credit card provider just to be on the safe side.

Keep in mind that HAL must be incredibly busy and their IT infrastructure has never appeared to be anywhere near best in class.

Edited by iancal

On 3/28/2020 at 10:28 AM, MudderBear said:

I'm waiting too for a cash refund of 6K.   If they would ONLY rebook my cruise for the same price/amenities for the same period next year, (Alaska Tour/Cruise) I'd let them do it.  Funny, but when I suggested this on another post, someone actually blasted me for that thought.  I guess it takes all types.....

HUH??? You expect the same price next year as this?  I guess it does take all types. 😳🙄

Prices are what they are.  You decide to pay it or not or hope it goes down.

You know a lot of people have much more money than you waiting for refunds 😉 sad but true.  You are not alone and there is no need to grouse about it on line over and over.

We are all in the same boat.  If we chose to cancel early, we got what we got.  Those were the conditions when we signed on.  I’m not being a cheerleader here, I am just stating facts.  This is a phenomenal crisis that has thrown everyone for a loop.

And, for the record, these FCC’s and Future airline credits are going to muck up my cancellation insurance.  I’m not happy either but I recognize that this is not something we have seen for over 100 years.  I’m grateful that we are alive and not on one of the ships that has been trying to find harbour 😉 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kazu said:

HUH??? You expect the same price next year as this?  I guess it does take all types. 😳🙄

Prices are what they are.  You decide to pay it or not or hope it goes down.

You know a lot of people have much more money than you waiting for refunds 😉 sad but true.  You are not alone and there is no need to grouse about it on line over and over.

We are all in the same boat.  If we chose to cancel early, we got what we got.  Those were the conditions when we signed on.  I’m not being a cheerleader here, I am just stating facts.  This is a phenomenal crisis that has thrown everyone for a loop.

And, for the record, these FCC’s and Future airline credits are going to muck up my cancellation insurance.  I’m not happy either but I recognize that this is not something we have seen for over 100 years.  I’m grateful that we are alive and not on one of the ships that has been trying to find harbour 😉 

Right with you Jacqui! As you know we were on Rotterdam and had to get off quickly with only 4 days into our Panama Cruise! We could have very well been on her and not being able to get off at a port!

Thank you!

Denise😊

To Kazu:  The same cruise went up over $2500 from one year to the next.  I'm sorry that you can obviously throw money away....I was able also to throw it around willy nilly about a month ago, but now, Geesh, I seem to need to respect every last dime that I have.

Yes, I am grateful I am not on a cruise right now, but I"m living under the same fear that you and all of our fellow people are living under too.  Try to be a little nicer on your next post.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 8:02 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

Ah, yeah. Some of us have over $20,000 waiting... 

I have Platinum insurance (cancel for any reason).  My April 19 cruise was officially canceled by HAL.  I have not received a single email from HAL.  Nothing. Zip. Nada. I have close to $20,000 with them.  Very very disappointed.  We need this money.  It's like we don't exist.

The price is never the price until you lock in inside the final payment window.

Cruise prices go up and down as fast as knickers.  Not entirely sure why you would expect prices to remain constant.  Would you be complaining if the price was lower instead of higher?

• Like 1

MudderBear,

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time. If the cruise line cancels your cruise, but offers you the same cruise at a future date, it should be the same price. In fact they should offer it for less, because of the inconvenience.

Your situation is not the same as someone who is just shopping for a future cruise.

I recommend that you request a full refund, and then later shop for a future cruise with that money, once you get it.

This is assuming that HAL doesn't go bankrupt, which is a real possibility. If HAL does survive, I think they will eventually have some good promotions.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom O. said:

MudderBear,

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time. If the cruise line cancels your cruise, but offers you the same cruise at a future date, it should be the same price. In fact they should offer it for less, because of the inconvenience.

Your situation is not the same as someone who is just shopping for a future cruise.

I recommend that you request a full refund, and then later shop for a future cruise with that money, once you get it.

This is assuming that HAL doesn't go bankrupt, which is a real possibility. If HAL does survive, I think they will eventually have some good promotions.

Tom O,

In many cases, it would not be apples to apples. Our Hawaii, Tahiti cruise this year was on Oosterdam with an SY Signature suite. Next year's cruise, same itinerary would be on the Rotterdam that does not have Signature Suites. They go from Vista to Neptune. Not everyone will be happy no matter what happens. Just hoping in 60 days or so from now everyone has their FCC or refunds in pocket and we can all move on to happier posts.

Blessed Palm Sunday,

Joy

My cruise was supposed to leave today.  When HA cancelled it on 3/14, I selected the refund option.  Have patiently waited 3 weeks.  Booked through HA.  Has anyone gotten a refund for a cancelled cruise that was supposed to sail in the past 3 weeks?  Suggestions for how to proceed?

In my view, Tom O., in his post # 66, said it very well. If the cruise line cancels on us, and/or if it is obvious that they should/must (such as when certain cruises cannot, by operation of law, proceed; such as cruises touching Canadian ports before July 1), a full refund should be forthcoming--the timing may be uncertain as many people are in the same boat, so to speak. Yet if the customer wants a refund instead of a FCC, that is the choice of the customer.

As for the question posed by 0106 in post # 68, did you pay for the cruise by credit card? If so, I suggest you call the credit card and dispute the charge, if you can (depends on the rules of your credit card issuer/bank). Doing that may help get the refund moving, although as others have noted, it still may take some time due to the volume of refunds to be processed.

If you have insurance--possibly as part of your credit card's benefits--you could also consider making a claim. 

Hopefully the cruise line companies remain solvent during the waiting period. That, to me, is the big worry.    

11 minutes ago, 0106 said:

My cruise was supposed to leave today.  When HA cancelled it on 3/14, I selected the refund option.  Have patiently waited 3 weeks.  Booked through HA.  Has anyone gotten a refund for a cancelled cruise that was supposed to sail in the past 3 weeks?  Suggestions for how to proceed?

HAL is saying there will be a 60 day delay on all refunds.

The problem is that HAL has no cash right now, they are hoping for more money to come in so they can start to make refunds. But that money may never come.

On 4/5/2020 at 3:15 PM, Tom O. said:

The problem is that HAL has no cash right now, they are hoping for more money to come in so they can start to make refunds. But that money may never come.

"Every time a bell rings an angel gets his wings" -- It's a Wonderful Life

"Every time HAL books a 2021 cruise a 2020 cruiser gets their refund." -- Cruise Critic boards

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, Tom O. said:

That's not exactly what HAL said, and it makes a difference.  

"Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing 

may take up to 60 days as our team works through each booking."    (HAL, March 30, 2020) 

[bold mine]

Edited by Boatdrill

20 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

That's not exactly what HAL said, and it makes a difference.  

"Please note that due to the unprecedented volume of bookings impacted by cancellations, processing 

may take up to 60 days as our team works through each booking."    (HAL, March 30, 2020) 

[bold mine]

You are right, I stated the bare bones version of what HAL said, but I don't think it makes a difference.

I don't mind waiting 60 to get a refund, my biggest fear is that I won't get it at all.