Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

I filed a dispute with my BOA Celebrity Visa today.  Our cruise was scheduled for April 21, 2020.  I did the on-line full refund cancel request but have heard nothing.  They have had my $5,000 since January 2020 earning interest on it.  I'm an essential employee at a hospital that has had my 5 day work week cut to 3.  I need the money now not when Celebrity decides to refund it.  

I'm already out $550 for airfare on Southwest.  They issued travel funds which do us no good if we can't travel and use them.  I contacted Nachi Cocum 30 days ago for my refund deposit with them.  Received a copy and paste reply but still no refund.  I disputed that one today with AMEX.  

Have a great Friday and wash your hands and stay safe!

58 minutes ago, treehugr said:

@mafig - We filed our dispute this morning. Got through within 5 minutes, so timing is everything. Told us we would receive paperwork to fill out and attach all pertinent info within 7-10 days. Also stated resolution could take 2 billing cycles, which conflicts with everything we've read here. Hope our process goes as smooth as yours was. 

Glad you got through and did it.  

I'm surprised they said you would have to fill out paperwork.  Maybe it has to do with what card you have, or perhaps they're getting a lot more disputes?  

Anyway, keep checking online.  Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I hope so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spammie said:

I filed a dispute with my BOA Celebrity Visa today.  Our cruise was scheduled for April 21, 2020.  I did the on-line full refund cancel request but have heard nothing.  They have had my $5,000 since January 2020 earning interest on it.  I'm an essential employee at a hospital that has had my 5 day work week cut to 3.  I need the money now not when Celebrity decides to refund it.  

I'm already out $550 for airfare on Southwest.  They issued travel funds which do us no good if we can't travel and use them.  I contacted Nachi Cocum 30 days ago for my refund deposit with them.  Received a copy and paste reply but still no refund.  I disputed that one today with AMEX.  

Sw  banked funds are good for a year and they may possibly extend if the crisus continues ,we hope.

Cash is best but we fly Sw alot so we usually get to use our banked  funds.

Stay safe!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Sw  banked funds are good for a year and they may possibly extend if the crisus continues ,we hope.

Cash is best but we fly Sw alot so we usually get to use our banked  funds.

Stay safe!

I had heard that.  We booked back in October so it currently says our travel funds expire October 2020.  That would be great if they extend it.  :) 

3 hours ago, mafig said:

Glad you got through and did it.  

I'm surprised they said you would have to fill out paperwork.  Maybe it has to do with what card you have, or perhaps they're getting a lot more disputes?  

Anyway, keep checking online.  Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I hope so.

Yeah we were kind of surprised as well. Something tells me, if not already, the cruise disputes are going to become common knowledge among bank staff real soon with this latest CDC posting. 

3 hours ago, spammie said:

We debated doing online as well, but in the end opted for actually speaking to someone. Not sure if it mattered, but phone conversation really allowed us to expand on specifics for our dispute. On Nachi Cocum, I don't think you'll have any problem with them. We went there last year when the kelp was insanely bad. The stench was so bad, they had no problem refunding our money, even went as far as to pay for our cab ride back to the port. This message is popping up on their web-site right now. Might want to print out in the event AMEX asks for additional info...

image.thumb.png.efecd659a6f2e28a2f34cc5b41fb40fc.png

We had to cancel our cruise that would have left tomorrow.  I did this March 11.  Got my FCC from Celebrity two weeks ago, but just checked and got my credit card refund for the taxes and fees today.  That was just about 4 weeks so my suggestion is to be patient for a while.  This is a lot more work than they usually do and staff just might not all be working.

Pat

We were booked on the October 22nd through November 5th, 2020 transatlantic on the Apex.  It was to be  preceded by a  land trip starting on 1 October in UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. 

Due to our belief that cruising will be iffy before at least sometime next year - and more likely to be after a vaccine is created, tested  and ready for distribution, natural immunity increases and better treatments become available, we decided to cancel earlier today.  It doesn't help that I'm 71 and would possibly require a letter from my doctor to cruise and that is unlikely to happen.   We still have time to decide for the land portion of the trip and we still hope we're able to go. 

We called Celebrity around 11:00 EDT today.  The call was answered immediately and we were talking with a rep within a minute.  Here's some info regarding our circumstances and what we did and were told:

1. Our cruise deposit was fully refundable (could also have possibly received credit)
  2. Airfare through Celebrity Air was fully refundable (could also have possibly received credit)
  3. We canceled both the cruise and our flights - and received a cruise cancelation confirmation number.
  4. We should expect cruise refund within 30 days
  5. We should expect our airfare refund within 1-2 credit card billing cycles
  6. We received an email within five minutes with our shore cancelled excursions (paid via perk)
  7. Within 5 minutes I checked online at Celebrity and our booked cruise had been removed
  8. Within 5 minutes I checked online at American Airlines and our flights had been removed.

All in all, it appears to have gone very well.  As long as our refunds show up.  It's really sad as my wife and I really wanted to go on the Apex.  Maybe next year.

1SGcruiser - you have done extremely well 👍. There are so many people that cancelled their cruise back in March (online or via a phone call) that have received nothing from X; no email, cruise still showing on cruise planner. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, Flying Hippo said:

We have an email dated March 13th from Celebrity confirming our option to request a refund. I think the big CC companies must be seeing a lot of these because they (AMEX) were not too surprised when I told them we had very little from the cruise line to confirm any of this. 
do you have any similar communication From X?

We are still waiting from Feb 15 - The first of the sailings to be fully cancelled - I chatted with Amex this afternoon - They told me I had 60 days from when the cruise should have departed to file the dispute - Anything more and I'd be out of luck - That puts me at next Wed - I'll let it go until Monday and then I file a dispute - I have emails and voicemails from X stating I will receive a 50% FCC and a 100% refund - Its heavily documented 

Edited by jeremybe

6 minutes ago, downsmead said:

1SGcruiser - you have done extremely well 👍. There are so many people that cancelled their cruise back in March (online or via a phone call) that have received nothing from X; no email, cruise still showing on cruise planner. 

It certainly seems that way.  Now we just need to get the CC refunds in the timeframes stated by the rep and then I can relax about it.  But, remaining positive, Yes!  it seems to have gone well.

36 minutes ago, 1SGCruiser said:

We were booked on the October 22nd through November 5th, 2020 transatlantic on the Apex.  It was to be  preceded by a  land trip starting on 1 October in UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Spain. 

Due to our belief that cruising will be iffy before at least sometime next year - and more likely to be after a vaccine is created, tested  and ready for distribution, natural immunity increases and better treatments become available, we decided to cancel earlier today.  It doesn't help that I'm 71 and would possibly require a letter from my doctor to cruise and that is unlikely to happen.   We still have time to decide for the land portion of the trip and we still hope we're able to go. 

We called Celebrity around 11:00 EDT today.  The call was answered immediately and we were talking with a rep within a minute.  Here's some info regarding our circumstances and what we did and were told:

1. Our cruise deposit was fully refundable (could also have possibly received credit)
  2. Airfare through Celebrity Air was fully refundable (could also have possibly received credit)
  3. We canceled both the cruise and our flights - and received a cruise cancelation confirmation number.
  6. We received an email within five minutes with our shore cancelled excursions (paid via perk)
  7. Within 5 minutes I checked online at Celebrity and our booked cruise had been removed
  8. Within 5 minutes I checked online at American Airlines and our flights had been removed.

All in all, it appears to have gone very well.  As long as our refunds show up.  It's really sad as my wife and I really wanted to go on the Apex.  Maybe next year.

Wow, that is quite the vacation. Would definitely be a bucket list trip for my wife and I. Sorry it didn't work out this time, but live to cruise another day. Sounds like your cancellation process was more of the exception, unlike most I've read here on CC. Glad things went so smoothly for you. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jeremybe said:

We are still waiting from Feb 15 - The first of the sailings to be fully cancelled - I chatted with Amex this afternoon - They told me I had 60 days from when the cruise should have departed to file the dispute - Anything more and I'd be out of luck - That puts me at next Wed - I'll let it go until Monday and then I file a dispute - I have emails and voicemails from X stating I will receive a 50% FCC and a 100% refund - Its heavily documented 

Wow, ours was cancelled in March. I would be climbing the walls if I had received nothing yet for a cruise in Feb. Lucky for you you checked with AMEX just in time...good luck.

Edited by treehugr

21 minutes ago, treehugr said:

Wow, that is quite the vacation. Would definitely be a bucket list trip for my wife and I. Sorry it didn't work out this time, but live to cruise another day.

Thanks!

We absolutely love traveling in general - and specifically cruising too.  Since I semi-retired in 2015 and fully retired on 2017, we've tried to travel on an extended trip as often as possible.  While visiting Europe - normally during October and November (cooler, pretty and less crowds), we move to a new city every 2-3 days. We then do extensive exploring of that city and surrounding area on day-trips.  We travel exclusively by train on a Eurail pass for maximum flexibility.  We love getting 'lost' while exploring.  Our trips are normally 3-6 weeks and normally include a transatlantic back to the US.  We travel light  with just one carry-on suitcase each and we do laundry once a week.  For us, it's the best way to travel.  The cruise home at the end is very enjoyable and relaxing after moving so much during the land portion. 

We still hope to do the land portion this year and look forward to cruising again when this all settles down.

On 4/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, TXranchgal said:

We cancelled our 3/23 cruise on 3/8.    Airfare- booked thru choice air -  refund showed up today 4/7 on credit card.  We are Still missing the $200 they charged in error as a cancellation fee.  "Susan" - was supposed to fix this and call us yesterday  - but no response yet.    I was told that the refund was sent and would be on the credit card by the end of the week. 

WELL - It's FRIDAY 4/10 - End of the week...   I called back to Celebrity AGAIN to see why the money charged in error had not been refunded.  I was told AGAIN that it was refunded and would show up on the credit card within 30 days of cancellation.  It has now been 33 days from cancellation and still nothing...…  We will file a dispute this afternoon to attempt to get things rolling.😠

30 minutes ago, 1SGCruiser said:

Thanks!

We absolutely love traveling in general - and specifically cruising too.  Since I semi-retired in 2015 and fully retired on 2017, we've tried to travel on an extended trip as often as possible.  While visiting Europe - normally during October and November (cooler, pretty and less crowds), we move to a new city every 2-3 days. We then do extensive exploring of that city and surrounding area on day-trips.  We travel exclusively by train on a Eurail pass for maximum flexibility.  We love getting 'lost' while exploring.  Our trips are normally 3-6 weeks and normally include a transatlantic back to the US.  We travel light  with just one carry-on suitcase each and we do laundry once a week.  For us, it's the best way to travel.  The cruise home at the end is very enjoyable and relaxing after moving so much during the land portion. 

We still hope to do the land portion this year and look forward to cruising again when this all settles down.

Hi,

Amazing. We do the exactly the same including B2B's and TA's or TP's  with extensive

land trips before or after the B2B. We have also done a B2B2B2B2B. No hotels

in between and used Cunard for the TA's. LOVED it!

Also, one carry on suitcase and BIG handbag.

The only difference is that we do this twice a year (spring and the fall). 

Less crowds during these times and it's too beautiful here (NS Canada) 

during the summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1SGCruiser said:

Did you have refundable air booked through Celebrity?

11 minutes ago, cjcruiser27 said:

Did you have refundable air booked through Celebrity?

They were definitely booked online directly through Celebrity Air.  However - and I know this will sound silly, but I didn't know if they were refundable or not until we called Celebrity this morning and asked.  The rep didn't seem to know either and he had to leave us on hold for a couple of minutes to go to check with Celebrity Air.  When he came back, he said we'd get a full refund.  So, yes!  🙂

Edited by 1SGCruiser

11 minutes ago, 1SGCruiser said:

They were definitely booked online directly through Celebrity Air.  However - and I know this will sound silly, but I didn't know if they were refundable or not until we called Celebrity this morning and asked.  The rep didn't seem to know either and he had to leave us on hold for a couple of minutes to go to check with Celebrity Air.  When he came back, he said we'd get a full refund.  So, yes!  🙂

The email that you receive when you book your flights thru Celebrity will say  "FLIGHTS by Celebrity Confirmation" and in the fine print at the bottom of the email it usually says the reservation is refundable, refundable with a fee, non refundable or something similiar.     

Our cruise for March 14 was canceled the evening of the 13th. After getting home from Puerto Rico we requested the refund and not the FCC (We were given a choice). So far I received nothing from Celebrity and nothing on my Credit Card (check every day). Has anyone eligible for a refund received one yet?

2 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

Our cruise for March 14 was canceled the evening of the 13th. After getting home from Puerto Rico we requested the refund and not the FCC (We were given a choice). So far I received nothing from Celebrity and nothing on my Credit Card (check every day). Has anyone eligible for a refund received one yet?

No, I am still waiting.  One email states up to 14 days for a refund, a second email arrived 1 week later and stayed up to 30 days.  It was canceled by them and I requested a refund on 3/14.  If I don't receive anything by 4/17 I will call my CC company.

4 minutes ago, JuliaMS said:

@JuliaMS - Sorry you're having so much trouble. It appears you're in the same boat as most here, still waiting on refunds. Those that have received their refunds have largely done so by disputing through their CC.