P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

We had our last bowls match of the season this afternoon and given the weather I am glad that we don't play again until March.  We had to come off the green at one point because to was too wet to continue fortunately our green drains quickly when the rain stops so we didn't have to abandon the match and finish it later in the week which is what we had to do at another green last week.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It has been raining all day here and still raining heavily now.

The only time I go in the wine aisle is to buy Red Italian wine for our Sarah.

Graham.

We don't spend much time in the wine aisle either.  We buy from a local wine warehous where we think there is a better selection of wines.  They are also let us taste wines if there is something that they think that we will like but haven't tried yet.  Thinking about it, it is a bit worrying that they know which wines we usually buy. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Best aisle in any supermarket,  especially if there is a 25% offer on !

Unfortunately Nicola doesn’t allow us reprobates up here such offers but to be fair to the supermarkets I think they reduce the price of individual bottles accordingly!  

A memory popped up to today on that site, reminding me that we had finally landed in Malta after a 4 hour delay at Birmingham airport after the plane we were on developed a technical fault whilst taxing to takeoff. The plane returned to stand, a first we were due to disembark, but as the Captain said to the passengers P&O had put pressure on TUI head office to sort the issue pdq as the plane was chartered by P&O to transport passengers to Malta who were sailing on Oceana. Next to us on the stand was a TUI flight due to go Gran Canaria, which was acquired an we transferred planes by cross the tarmac. Arrived much later that anticipated, very hungry, but had to attend muster before we could eat, we finished up in the buffet as the ship set sail.

Was a memorable cruise, returned to Venice after 54 years, I was 11 when I went last, but this was visit was also delayed due to thick fog, sat in the lagoon for hours listening to ship’s foghorns before finally docking mid afternoon. A change to itinerary meant we got an overnight stay and most of the next day in Venice. 

We should have been on the Oceana in May 2020 for 3 weeks, but Covid put a stop to that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Not seen one of those in Sainsbugs for many months, must be due one soon.

John, you missed it ! Last week !

We bought 24 bottles - theoretically we are stockpiling for Christmas (that's what we told the cashier) but in reality we will be lucky if it lasts until the end of November. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We bought 24 bottles - theoretically we are stockpiling for Christmas (that's what we told the cashier) but in reality we will be lucky if it lasts until the end of November. 

Was that Sainsbury or Asda?

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Its Waitrose turn this week- a lot of wines at 25% or a third off

Morning all,I hope Wowzz is eating and not doing his porridge at the mo.We flew back to Italy yesterday armed with reams of documentation none of which was asked for at either end.LFT done DIY at home,put result plastic thingy next to passport with ID number written on it with biro,upload photo,email received within hour with attached cert.Kerching,another 58 quid thank you.Stansted was busy but not like it used to be and half the restaurants not open.The ones that were had reduced menus.Supply issues or less customers being the reason I don't know.Meeting friends in restaurant tonight,1st world problem,shall I have octopus or swordfish,cheers,Brian.

• Like 3

The day 2 test after returning home could get interesting. OK, they are dropping the PCR test and replacing it with a lateral flow test cos it is cheaper. WAIT, certain sections of our 'masters' want that test to be supervised by a healthcare professional via video link to ensure you are not cheating. I would have thought cheating was just as easy with a home PCR test that you send to a lab and what about people with no video link.

it appears a lot of people must be cheating!

Not that the checking for new variants is any good because they only sequence a small %age of the tests. Apparently they have identified about 500 different importations of the delta variant before anyone reacted - sheesh!

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The day 2 test after returning home could get interesting. OK, they are dropping the PCR test and replacing it with a lateral flow test cos it is cheaper. WAIT, certain sections of our 'masters' want that test to be supervised by a healthcare professional via video link to ensure you are not cheating. I would have thought cheating was just as easy with a home PCR test that you send to a lab and what about people with no video link.

Not that the checking for new variants is any good because they only sequence a small %age of the tests. Apparently they have identified about 500 different importations of the delta variant before anyone reacted - sheesh!

I think the video link is an idea that is just being "floated" - in reality I would think it unworkable. 

Where would  you find all the health care professionals for a start ? Oh, I know, the government could issue temporary visas for EU staff to come to the UK - that would work well !

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Correct,we've done both now DIY.Absolute joke.

• Like 1

Good morning.

It is sunny but a cool 10°C.

I have my Renault booked in for its second service at the main dealer.

I have a 15 minute slot to book it in and I have to wait outside until my time slot.

Normally I would wait about 2 hours at the dealers while the service is done and look at all the new and used cars and pop into the nearby McDonald's for a snack and coffee but now I have to leave the car all day and get Pauline to follow me in her car to take me home.☹️

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny but a cool 10°C.

I have my Renault booked in for its second service at the main dealer.

I have a 15 minute slot to book it in and I have to wait outside until my time slot.

Normally I would wait about 2 hours at the dealers while the service is done and look at all the new and used cars and pop into the nearby McDonald's for a snack and coffee but now I have to leave the car all day and get Pauline to follow me in her car to take me home.☹️

No courtesy car ? For the price main dealers charge for a service, it's the least they could do. Seat provided me with one f.o.c. even during the height of the pandemic.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No courtesy car ? For the price main dealers charge for a service, it's the least they could do. Seat provided me with one f.o.c. even during the height of the pandemic.

Or collected from and delivered back to your home - that’s been incredibly useful for us.  12 miles to the dealership, but it’s a free service they’ve always offered, and they wouldn’t be doing it unless it made financial sense.

• Like 3