P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

We always ask for No Ice in our soft drinks especially in Foreign countries like Spain.

Really!

That might have been a good precaution 40 years ago,  but seriously,  now !

Bars either get 5kg bags of ice cubes delivered, or use mains water to make ice,  which is perfectly safe to drink. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Really!

Bars either get 5kg bags of ice cubes delivered, or use mains water to make ice,  which is perfectly safe to drink. 

Rather depends on the hygiene standards of the operatives though. I recall a meal once in one of the best known Italian restaurant chains in the country when we watched the server digging his bare hands into the ice container to add ice to our drinks. No scoop, just the same bare hands that had been pulling trolleys in from the street a couple of minutes earlier. 

Rarely do you get a problem with a drink, but if you do it’s more likely to be with the ice than the drink.

• Like 1

We had a quick visit from our ex SIL on Saturday evening just to drop off some presents and see how we all were. Had a phone call an hour ago to say that he had just tested positive for covid. Frank and I have just done a test and it's negative.

Such a relief 😌

Avril

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Really!

First time in Barbados we went into a little local shop....   ...can I have a bottle if mineral water please?.........I got the lecture of all lectures about the purity of their tap water.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We had a quick visit from our ex SIL on Saturday evening just to drop off some presents and see how we all were. Had a phone call an hour ago to say that he had just tested positive for covid. Frank and I have just done a test and it's negative.

Such a relief 😌

Avril

Wow,that was a big worry Avril.

I'm really pleased that you have both tested negative.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We also never have ice in most countries just to be safe it is known for being a big cause of food poisoning/upset stomachs.

We always drink tap water, have ice etc, when we travel in Europe,  North America, Australia etc. We would be more circumspect in Asia, Central America etc.

But not to trust the ice in Spain is just being paranoid.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But Graham was talking about Spain. Mexico is an entirely different matter.

About half our holidays are to Spain and we have no problem having ice in our drinks. A nightcap of a Brandy with Ice and a Bailey's with Ice isn't quite the same without the ice. On our Nile cruise the boat made great play of assuring us that the ice was made with mineral water. We still didn't risk it though.

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

About half our holidays are to Spain and we have no problem having ice in our drinks. A nightcap of a Brandy with Ice and a Bailey's with Ice isn't quite the same without the ice. On our Nile cruise the boat made great play of assuring us that the ice was made with mineral water. We still didn't risk it though.

When we first moved to Spain, we bought bottled water. After two months we decided the cost was too much, and went to the fuente in the local village, and filled bottles with water that came straight off the mountain. After a while we got fed up with the whole palaver and just used the water that came out of the taps. Didn't seem to have done us any harm after 10 years of drinking it daily !

• Like 1

Good morning ,hope everyone is ok :classic_smile:

Today is the day before the day of the actual day :classic_unsure:  where normality goes out the 

window for some ,where some begin to stress and fret about things like " Bin  Day "

(sounds like something Indian :classic_wink:) What day are they coming ? Ours has been swapped

to today and will be sometime this morning .No one has put one out as of yet but once

they see our bin out and they realise, there will be racing to get them out on the street.

Others will have been out at some ungodly hour to queue up and be first in the supermarket

and calling in at Bazz's Newsagents on the way home to get a copy of the TV times they 

have laid away every year since time began ,even though they are the proud owner of a 

smart TV:classic_unsure: The people with the frozen turkeys they bought in the summer due to the 

papers saying there was going to be a shortage of them will start to think "what day

should I defrost it and how long for?":classic_unsure: Some will start to fret about the Christmas 

day lunch ,which they shouldn't  really as it's when all said and done just a bigger Sunday

dinner with a few more sprouts on top ! :classic_smile:

Keep calm and keep safe everyone :classic_love:    

turkey.jpg.68860cc9ce2cc2ee36634d97b364f7fc.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 10

Good morning everyone hope it’s not a to busy day for you all with shopping around for last minute bits , I’ve managed to find some rough puff pastry over here and some decent sausages to make some of my special sausage rolls the family like for tomorrow    .Went to a little lovely beach yesterday for a couple of hours and even went in the sea for a swim .

All who have to work today and tomorrow and all you special medical workers have a good day , don’t work to hard ,don’t get stressed out from rude people 😎

EF89CE5C-7257-445E-92FD-5489B427A3E4.jpeg

F3B712C7-8BD8-45E3-A54F-548D603686F8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning ,hope everyone is ok :classic_smile:

Today is the day before the day of the actual day :classic_unsure:  where normality goes out the 

window for some ,where some begin to stress and fret about things like " Bin  Day "

(sounds like something Indian :classic_wink:) What day are they coming ? Ours has been swapped

to today and will be sometime this morning .No one has put one out as of yet but once

they see our bin out and they realise, there will be racing to get them out on the street.

Others will have been out at some ungodly hour to queue up and be first in the supermarket

and calling in at Bazz's Newsagents on the way home to get a copy of the TV times they 

have laid away every year since time began ,even though they are the proud owner of a 

smart TV:classic_unsure: The people wit h the frozen turkeys they bought in the summer due to the 

papers saying there was going to be a shortage of them will start to think "what day

should I defrost it and how long for?":classic_unsure: Some will start to fret about the Christmas 

day lunch ,which they shouldn't  really as it's when all said and done just a bigger Sunday

dinner with a few more sprouts on top ! :classic_smile:

Keep calm and keep safe everyone :classic_love:    

turkey.jpg.68860cc9ce2cc2ee36634d97b364f7fc.jpg

@kalosThanks for the early morning laugh.  I thought that I would checking before I go for a full day at the vaccine hub, 8:30 to 6 today. 

Have a good day everyone.

@grapau27 good luck with your op today, I  will be thinking if you 🤞

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

@kalosThanks for the early morning laugh.  I thought that I would checking before I go for a full day at the vaccine hub, 8:30 to 6 today. 

Have a good day everyone.

@grapau27 good luck with your op today, I  will be thinking if you 🤞

Thank you Josy.

The op is tomorrow Christmas Eve.

Graham.

• Like 1