P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Looking for some random help, after my dad’s operation my parentshave finally agreed to having a cleaner to go in once a week, can anyone recommend anybody they are in the Bucknall area of Stoke and know there’s quite a few from the area on here, this is when you regret moving away all of them years ago when it seemed a good idea 

9 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Looking for some random help, after my dad’s operation my parentshave finally agreed to having a cleaner to go in once a week, can anyone recommend anybody they are in the Bucknall area of Stoke and know there’s quite a few from the area on here, this is when you regret moving away all of them years ago when it seemed a good idea 

I now someone who does cleaning and also know a number of people who have a cleaner in not far from here in Hanley. I can get their info if I am allowed to on here as it is not cruise related I am guessing it should be ok ???????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

I don't use fb normally, but use the local village fb pages for recommendations for local services and suggest that's worth a try. Good luck!

23 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Looking for some random help, after my dad’s operation my parents have finally agreed to having a cleaner to go in once a week, can anyone recommend anybody they are in the Bucknall area of Stoke and know there’s quite a few from the area on here, this is when you regret moving away all of them years ago when it seemed a good idea 

Have e-mailed all the staff where I work and asked if anyone has a cleaner they can trust in the area as many of them live there or nearby. Have already had one reply saying they will ask if the cleaner has spaces. I think we can crack this one for you 🙂 Not sure how we share the information. Sharon are we allowed to on here or not if they have a website ?

PS Have now been told of 2 others ....... how many cleaners do you want for Bucknall ?? Looks like we could provide a whole team 😉😉😉 

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

Presto my email address is XXXXXXXXXX, I appreciate the help

Brill - I have now had 4 people give me names and will pass on phone numbers. I will e-mail when I have them all but they may be tomorrow first thing in the morning. Have saved your e-mail address so you can delete it now if you can edit now or ask Sharon to remove it 🙂

All cleaners have excellent references and reputations and they say they are trustworthy so hopefully you can chill a little now. Have had elderly parents living in Wales and it was hard when they needed a cleaner as  you are trusting people you don't know with something precious 

😉

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Stokie33 said:

You could try the Bark website quoting your parents postcode, we have used them for window replacement and oven cleaner, and they provided good quality service.

42 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Brill - I have now had 4 people give me names and will pass on phone numbers. I will e-mail when I have them all but they may be tomorrow first thing in the morning. Have saved your e-mail address so you can delete it now if you can edit now or ask Sharon to remove it 🙂

All cleaners have excellent references and reputations and they say they are trustworthy so hopefully you can chill a little now. Have had elderly parents living in Wales and it was hard when they needed a cleaner as  you are trusting people you don't know with something precious 

😉

Thanks Presto. Saves me from having to do anything 😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

😉

Thanks Presto I really appreciate it, they have been self reliant until a few months ago so it’s come as quite a shock

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It’s a place I have never been to but it is on my to do list. I’m saving some places for when I can’t get travel insurance for abroad in my dotage.

Brighton is not alone in overcharging and I can see why they would want to encourage use of public transport but right now people are avoiding it when they can.

We have been to a few places over the last year where the parking has been eye watering ly high and it’s clear from the signage and the muttering from the locals that it has been recently bumped up. Rip

off Britain as ever.

Definitely worth visiting but best bet for you would be to fly to Gatwick and get the direct train, which takes less than 30 minutes. It has a very compact centre and good public transport too. On a recent visit I very much noticed an increase in high end shops and 'artisan' coffee bars. It's all gone very Kensington & Chelsea...(or maybe Morningside & Stockbridge???).

• Thanks 1

Pam and chippyminton I wish you both a fantastic cruise and plenty of sunshine, I’m on Iona in just over 3 weeks time to the canaries so any tips on any excursions your be doing will be welcomed, hopefully we will be allowed of in Madeira by ourselves, I’ve just cancelled a tour in Tenerife up to mount teide because I busted my knee last week in fuerteventura, spent 6 1/2 at hospital today to get it X-ray, got ligament damage and severe bruising to back of knee cap so no waking up the volcano for me , but seriously hope you guys have a lovely holiday 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Morningside and Stockbridge.

That’s a good reference point, I get what you mean (Chelsea would have been completely lost on me).

thanks for the information.

Edited by Eglesbrech
Quote missing

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Definitely worth visiting but best bet for you would be to fly to Gatwick and get the direct train, which takes less than 30 minutes. It has a very compact centre and good public transport too. On a recent visit I very much noticed an increase in high end shops and 'artisan' coffee bars. It's all gone very Kensington & Chelsea...(or maybe Morningside & Stockbridge???).

Andrew, stayed in the Grosvenor Hotel in Stockbridge many times, used to  fly fish a private beat on the test, good times

Good morning hope your all doing ok:classic_smile:

Supermarkets ! Have you ever noticed that you tend to get a bit of a blockage in the

milk isle as you get a customer who decides to strip the shelf's of milk to get to a

bottle that reads "use by " a few days more than all the dates on the ones they have

just moved.:classic_wacko: That is going to be a thing of the past at at least for one company .

Morrison's are scrapping the use of expiry dates on milk and are encouraging their 

customers to do a sniff test . This means if you have had covid or a bad cold maybe 

and you can't smell or taste, the only way you'll know that the milk has gone  off

is if your chewing it  :classic_unsure: The part that worries me is the supermarket who want 

us to sniff the milk , so now I have visions of customers stood in the supermarket 

ripping milk bottle tops off ,having a quick sniff .."Nah ,not that one! ".....:classic_biggrin:

There's going to be bottle tops everywhere !:classic_ohmy: Going back to when I was a lad 

we never had the milk float coming down our street with the housewives stood 

on their doorsteps eagerly awaiting a quick sniff of Ernie's gold top ! Off to make

myself a nice cuppa with a splash of milk ,lovely and not to be sniffed at :classic_wink:

Have a great day stay safe :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Fog has now descended here in Dorset so the dog may need his high viz coat on for his walk this morning.

Gill x

Just cloudy and wet here again today so dog may need wellies for his walk. One day I may buy him some.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Morning everyone.

Back to being damp and misty down here and it looks drizzly, but still feeling mild.

Spent yesterday evening trying to sort out testing for when we return from our cruise, as I had PCR's booked and paid for but recieved an e-mail from the company stating that, as government had changed it's requirements they had cancelled my order and refunded me. I could order LFT's on their site. Go to their site and they've sold out!! Trying to locate and fill in the information on a different site on my ipad wasn't the easiest thing, but all sorted now😵 Just PLF and Health Declarations to go!

Kalos, thank you for the laugh, just what I needed😀

Take care everyone and stay safe.

Pam 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Good morning hope your all doing ok:classic_smile:

Supermarkets ! Have you ever noticed that you tend to get a bit of a blockage in the

milk isle as you get a customer who decides to strip the shelf's of milk to get to a

bottle that reads "use by " a few days more than all the dates on the ones they have

just moved.:classic_wacko: That is going to be a thing of the past at at least for one company .

Morrison's are scrapping the use of expiry dates on milk and are encouraging their 

customers to do a sniff test . This means if you have had covid or a bad cold maybe 

and you can't smell or taste, the only way you'll know that the milk has gone  off

is if your chewing it  :classic_unsure: The part that worries me is the supermarket who want 

us to sniff the milk , so now I have visions of customers stood in the supermarket 

ripping milk bottle tops off ,having a quick sniff .."Nah ,not that one! ".....:classic_biggrin:

There's going to be bottle tops everywhere !:classic_ohmy: Going back to when I was a lad 

we never had the milk float coming down our street with the housewives stood 

on their doorsteps eagerly awaiting a quick sniff of Ernie's gold top ! Off to make

myself a nice cuppa with a splash of milk ,lovely and not to be sniffed at :classic_wink:

Have a great day stay safe :classic_love::classic_smile:

Many a true word spoken in jest, lets hope no one slips on those discarded bottle tops and sue's Morrisons for millions

• Like 3

17 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Indeed it did!

"Originally designed as a nutritional supplement for the feeding of infants, some children who grew up in the 1940s remember the weekly visit of the Virol Lady to their primary school, doling out spoonfuls of the sweet, sticky brown product to each child who had brought a penny to school for the purpose.[2]

Virol was initially supplied in ceramic jars of different sizes. By the 1950s it was marketed in brown glass jars as a health supplement."

I actually got it daily from my mum, together with (first) a spoonful of cod liver oil.

I had my Virol the same way bb. First the awful cod liver oil followed by the lovely Virol. I also had the occasional clip round the ear for sneaking an extra spoonful 😒

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

“My personal favourite “tips” from SSE Energy Services, which is owned by Ovo, are for customers to “find extra heat” by keeping the “oven open after you’ve finished cooking” and “have a cuddle with pets”. This second suggestion has the added benefit of preventing Fido or Tiddles from jumping into a hot, open oven.”

• Haha 7

16 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

The worst thing that I was subjected to in primary school was cod liver oil. When I  told my mum that the teacher kept making me sick because she gave me medicine she went in to speak to the headmistress because my mum (who was a nurse) believed that a good diet was a lot better than supplements.

Unfortunately Josy some families weren't able to have a good diet, so it would have been beneficial for some children.

Avril

• Like 1