P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Just listening to the news and it really made me think about priorities, the story was about the rising interest rate which will make life hard.

When we bought our first house in 1980 the mortgage rate was at 15% and we struggled and had to do without luxuries such as holidays for a couple of years but we still considered ourselves lucky to own our house and soon learned to budget.  It seems that many younger people today expect to have everything immediately.  We know that several of our friends are subsidising their children's life style.

When we moved to our current house we had a fixed rate mortgage at about 10%. When rates went up to12%, we felt a bit smug. Folk recently were windging at 2.5%. saving rates are now over 1%.

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It seems that many younger people today expect to have everything immediately.  We know that several of our friends are subsidising their children's life style.

To be fair,  if you have had 15 years of low inflation and low interest rates,  it is not unreasonable for people to struggle with the new economic  reality. 

I consider myself to be reasonably savvy. We moved to Spain in 2005, and I factored in what I thought were the worst case scenarios to ensure we could survive. 

An exchange rate of €1.25 (€1.45 at the time), interest rates of about 3% and a stable stock market. 

Well, we all know what happened in 2007/8/9 ! We survived,  but financially we took a hammering. 

So criticising the youth of today,  seems to me a little unfair,  with an undercurrent of schadenfreude. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So a 20 mile round trip !

No, but the diesel is free. It's already paid for. The £10 will pay for the ice creams. Loch fyne for an early dinner...........oh, I need to rethink this.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I sometimes wonder if its worth having a cherished car , at least it would reduce the stress of where to park if you had an old runabout😒

I don’t have an old runabout but a decent car and if I began to stress about marks etc on my car, my hair would be white by now. Small, narrow roads and overhanging branches mean that real country folk don’t stress about the state of their vehicles! They’re washed for funerals and weddings and that’s about it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

I don’t have an old runabout but a decent car and if I began to stress about marks etc on my car, my hair would be white by now. Small, narrow roads and overhanging branches mean that real country folk don’t stress about the state of their vehicles! They’re washed for funerals and weddings and that’s about it. 

Absolutely the correct way to think about it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Just listening to the news and it really made me think about priorities, the story was about the rising interest rate which will make life hard.

When we bought our first house in 1980 the mortgage rate was at 15% and we struggled and had to do without luxuries such as holidays for a couple of years but we still considered ourselves lucky to own our house and soon learned to budget.  It seems that many younger people today expect to have everything immediately.  We know that several of our friends are subsidising their children's life style.

That’s a bit unfair! I left Uni with no debt but my children have loans to repay that will take a lifetime. It’s so much harder for them to even save enough for a deposit. My eldest snd partner are in the process of buying a house and the prices have shot up in the past two years. We’re paying their legal fees - I don’t call that subsidising their lifestyle, just giving them a helping hand as supportive parents. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s a bit unfair!

I agree. 

If you look at house prices now, versus wages, I'm amazed that any young couple can buy anything, without the help of the Bank of Mum & Dad. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I agree. 

If you look at house prices now, versus wages, I'm amazed that any young couple can buy anything, without the help of the Bank of Mum & Dad. 

Too true. And another thing - i suspect that a lot of Baby Boomer wives took a few years off work to raise their babies and pre-school children. I was one of the few in my group of friends who continued working full time after having children but we had a mortgage, not a tied cottage like many. That will be completely out of the question for most of my children’s generation. Most mothers will have to return to work after maternity leave  - it’s no wonder that so many grandparents help with childcare! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Too true. And another thing - i suspect that a lot of Baby Boomer wives took a few years off work to raise their babies and pre-school children. I was one of the few in my group of friends who continued working full time after having children but we had a mortgage, not a tied cottage like many. That will be completely out of the question for most of my children’s generation. Most mothers will have to return to work after maternity leave  - it’s no wonder that so many grandparents help with childcare! 

Yes we do.

• Like 1

Good morning, hope everyone's good :classic_smile:

The temperature is already 21.c or 69.8F as Graham would say :classic_wink:

It looks like anywhere below Leeds is on for a sizzler , so take care today .

I like to use this checking the weather:classic_love:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.18;-2.46;6&l=temperature-2m

FB_IMG_1655400356712.jpg.00ce5280f87625f9f0fa91c415f9ee51.jpg

Have a good day :classic_love:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 3

My parents lived in their council house all their married life and would have paid for it ten times over, we never had holidays and walking anywhere was the norm , i had a lovely upbringing and to respect other peoples belongings, my father died very young but mam stayed in the house until she passed away , although I grew up a happy child it gave me the determination to want to do better and this is why we as parents can now help our children , it has not been easy with both of us working without breaks for nigh on fifty years and six and seven days a week and never asked our parents to child mind as we worked separate hours  and that is why we both cherish what we have (lovely house, nice cars , holidays etc) and the pleasure to help out our offspring . Some will say they should stand on their own feet but with the case of ours they have taken on the work ethic that has got us to where we are today, so even though we started them out in a small way they can now make their own path

• Like 7

14 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh Josy, this happened to me today and seems to happen every day!!?! 

I have a biggish car, so try to keep out of everyones way. 

In a near empty car park, cars had parked really close either side of me... I just don't understand it. 

Andy 

LOL,reminds me of when I pulled into the 24hr Asda at Beckton early one wet morning.There was just 1 car parked right in the middle with a minimum 200 yard gap all around it.A car appeared and skidded and done a donut right next to it.Sideswiped it and drove off.True story,I thought I was on candid camera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, kalos said:

Good morning, hope everyone's good :classic_smile:

The temperature is already 21.c or 69.8F as Graham would say :classic_wink:

It looks like anywhere below Leeds is on for a sizzler , so take care today .

I like to use this checking the weather:classic_love:

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.18;-2.46;6&l=temperature-2m

FB_IMG_1655400356712.jpg.00ce5280f87625f9f0fa91c415f9ee51.jpg

Have a good day :classic_love:

True to form , the weather on the coast here is thick cloud which doesn't look like its going to break, and the forecast is for rain over the weekend, enjoy the sunshine if you've got it where you are😊

6 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

True to form , the weather on the coast here is thick cloud which doesn't look like its going to break, and the forecast is for rain over the weekend, enjoy the sunshine if you've got it where you are😊

We have sunshine and it is a pleasant 19°C at the moment but as is normal we too are forecast to have rain tomorrow when most people are off work.

Getting excited now.,  Hair, eyes and nails done.  Clothes ready.. kind of.

Tomorrow we are going to a third time lucky (due to covid)  wedding (at the Ferry which has been mentioned by others).I think it will be a lovely affair.

THEN on Sunday we are off to see Barry Manilow, again at the 02.  He really is 'magic'.   People who aren't fans probably won't believe that when he sings I Made it Through the Rain, and a couple of others that there isn't a dry eye in the house.   Its a mum and daughter event, I love going out with my daughter she is great fun.  Food and drink are in with our tickets, before the concert.  They were a present and we dare not ask how much they were so we will go early to try to get some of our moneysworth with a couple of cocktails.🙃🤣   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Getting excited now.,  Hair, eyes and nails done.  Clothes ready.. kind of.

Tomorrow we are going to a third time lucky (due to covid)  wedding (at the Ferry which has been mentioned by others).I think it will be a lovely affair.

THEN on Sunday we are off to see Barry Manilow, again at the 02.  He really is 'magic'.   People who aren't fans probably won't believe that when he sings I Made it Through the Rain, and a couple of others that there isn't a dry eye in the house.   Its a mum and daughter event, I love going out with my daughter she is great fun.  Food and drink are in with our tickets, before the concert.  They were a present and we dare not ask how much they were so we will go early to try to get some of our moneysworth with a couple of cocktails.🙃🤣   

Saw him about thirty years ago and although it was a birthday present for my other half I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Hope you have a fantastic time

On 6/15/2022 at 3:37 PM, Snow Hill said:

They have currently stopped installing the chips of the wing mirrors in favour of using them on other parts of the the Captur and Ariana, they have already however put in place a recall for vehicles to retrofit the chip when more come available, the mirrors will fold at some point in 2022 or 2023

Pleased to report that my Puma has been delivered and has auto folding mirrors.

Perhaps Ford bought more washing machines than Renault !

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Pleased to report that my Puma has been delivered and has auto folding mirrors.

Perhaps Ford bought more washing machines than Renault !

I heard Putin has the monopoly on white goods in Russia to make bits for his missiles.

Currently 27C here, however on patio feels like 47, we face directly south!! 

Have some gardening to do, but 🥵, will leave mowing the law until this evening. Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow so will not need to get hose out to water the bedding plants and the vegetable beds.

We had our supper at a beach bar yesterday - it’s so lovely to spend so much time outdoors.

I was equivocal about buying a caravan (one doesn’t call them that now, you know?  Mobile home, or even lodge, not caravan.  All a bit Hyacinth Bucket 🤣) but I must say, as the summer has progressed I am really loving it.  It’s way different from cruising, but it’s available virtually all year and doesn’t take half as much planning!  No virus worries either.  I even enjoyed being cosy in bed and hearing rain hammering on the roof and the thunder rumbling around, a few weeks back

Not exactly the Ritz but enjoyable nonetheless 

962BDF4D-A4E7-4E69-9274-F28F074722EF.thumb.jpeg.6d5d0496b6839e57dca8f4b60ae243ac.jpeg

• Like 4