P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 hours ago, delgirl said:

As you know husband has myeloma and cracked a bone in his spine, he is now in a back brace. We were due to go to Weymouth this weekend but obviously have had to postpone. Hence the nice weather 😂😂

I'm grateful for the nice weather delgirl, but sorry about the reason for it.😉 I hope your husband's back improves soon.

Avril

• Like 5

Don’t judge me for this but I used to be a VAT Inspector. I had a lovely mini sportsman (I think that is what it was). I had to go to some very remote businesses, mostly farms and the roads were quite narrow and winding but I could turn my car on a sixpence, it was brilliant. This was in the 1980/90s and I have had several cars since the but the mini was always my favourite.

My first car was a mini too in 1982, a very basic one. It was red with a black roof, I loved it.

Mini’s have certainly changed over the years my hubby has a Mini Cooper, one of the high rise ones. They are quite a big car now compared to the early ones. I still like the old ones, they were dinky and fun

Michelle

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Don’t judge me for this but I used to be a VAT Inspector. I had a lovely mini sportsman (I think that is what it was). I had to go to some very remote businesses, mostly farms and the roads were quite narrow and winding but I could turn my car on a sixpence, it was brilliant. This was in the 1980/90s and I have had several cars since the but the mini was always my favourite.

Did you ever go to the Scottish islands? 

I remember being told that they kept a “very special” hire car for VAT inspectors, revenue officers, customs and excise, DWP fraud officers etc. It was bright yellow and could be seen on those narrow roads from many, many miles away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

78°F here.

Just had a light lunch in our garden.

I had 2 mini's and they were great to drive.

Like Wowzz I had company cars for over 35 years.

IMG_20220616_131645.jpg

I must admit I never had the pleasure? Of a company car, and as my parents could never afford one I always wanted a car of my own , I believe that this is where my obsessive. car care has come from . If you ever see a car parked in a public/supermarket/ shopping mall parked all on its own as far away from anything that will be one of ours 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I must admit I never had the pleasure? Of a company car, and as my parents could never afford one I always wanted a car of my own , I believe that this is where my obsessive. car care has come from . If you ever see a car parked in a public/supermarket/ shopping mall parked all on its own as far away from anything that will be one of ours 

Same here and my first car was also a Ford Anglia 105E which I bought out of the £30 and under Section of our local rag . When I took it for a run to Cleethorpes and back on the A18 it took a couple of gallons of petrol and just under a gallon  of engine oil. Kept it and repaired it and then flogged It for £60 .

I repeated this over the years buying better over the years repairing/improving. 

The upside was if a car went faulty  on me 9 times out of 10 I could fix it myself

if need be  :classic_love: The joys of proper motoring :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I always try to park at the furthest corner of the car park because I have had cars scratched and dented while parked in the past but I often think that if I parked in the Sahara desert I would come back to my car with cars parked either side of it.😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

Same here and my first car was also a Ford Anglia 105E which I bought out of the £30 and under Section of our local rag . When I took it for a run to Cleethorpes and back on the A18 it took a couple of gallons of petrol and just under a gallon  of engine oil. Kept it and repaired it and then flogged It for £60 .

I repeated this over the years buying better over the years repairing/improving. 

The upside was if a car went faulty  on me 9 times out of 10 I could fix it myself

if need be  :classic_love: The joys of proper motoring :classic_unsure:

Never was much of a mechanic ,but I have done as you Kalos and now after many many years have a car of which i am supremely happy and proud of, its now just three years old and has done 5,200 miles, so it will not be getting changed anytime soon. looking back though driving in those old cars was some kind of adventure

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I always try to park at the furthest corner of the car park because I have had cars scratched and dented while parked in the past but I often think that if I parked in the Sahara desert I would come back to my car with cars parked either side of it.😬

I once parked in the local Morrisons as far away from the store as was possible all on its own , when I returned I was dismayed to see somebody had parked very close to me in the next bay, as i was about to think what were they thinking a head popped up from the drivers seat and a work colleague couldn't hold himself together for laughing as he knew of my dislike of close proximity parking😂

• Haha 7

Back from an afternoon of test driving the Honda Hybrid, we had 30 mins in it earlier in the week, but today we had almost 3 hours, drove around 60 miles covering motorway, A roads and in town driving, the telemetry said I achieved 68.9 mpg, almost twice the mog of my current car under similar driving conditions, slightly less than the Yaris hybrid which returned 69.9 mpg. Much of the town driving was on electric, I must say figures are impressive, no longer considering any petrol alternatives and would appear diesel cars have virtually disappeared amongst the new small and mid range cars. 

The outside temperature was 27C, the air conditioning kept us cool in the car. 

Edited by Snow Hill

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did you ever go to the Scottish islands? 

I remember being told that they kept a “very special” hire car for VAT inspectors, revenue officers, customs and excise, DWP fraud officers etc. It was bright yellow and could be seen on those narrow roads from many, many miles away.

No, my patch was Bolton, Blackburn and areas south of Preston. If you didn’t have your own car you had to do ‘bus and walk’ but you were only given local visits. I never had to do that, I loved the travelling as you saw some lovely places.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Back from an afternoon of test driving the Honda Hybrid, we had 30 mins in it earlier in the week, but today we had almost 3 hours, drove around 60 miles covering motorway, A roads and in town driving, the telemetry said I achieved 68.9 mpg, almost twice the mog of my current car under similar driving conditions, slightly less than the Yaris hybrid which returned 69.9 mpg. Much of the town driving was on electric, I must say figures are impressive, no longer considering any petrol alternatives and would appear diesel cars have virtually disappeared amongst the new small and mid range cars. 

The outside temperature was 27C, the air conditioning kept us cool in the car. 

I am probably showing my ignorance here but possibly someone will enlighten me. Self charge petrol / electric hybrids are becoming popular. I currently drive one. As a hybrid car recharges through regenerative braking, why can’t a full electric car do the same so that it recharges the battery as it is being driven to increase the maximum mileage on a full charge. Maybe this already happens on some models and still they have limited range. 

40 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am probably showing my ignorance here but possibly someone will enlighten me. Self charge petrol / electric hybrids are becoming popular. I currently drive one. As a hybrid car recharges through regenerative braking, why can’t a full electric car do the same so that it recharges the battery as it is being driven to increase the maximum mileage on a full charge. Maybe this already happens on some models and still they have limited range. 

I was a draftsman for a few years we drew up folks patent applications and charged lots of money. We made lots from perpetual motion devices. None of them actually worked. It takes energy to propel the vehicle. If you then add a resistor in the shape if a recharging device it uses more energy to drive the vehicle in the first place. Nuclear would work, but I guess we are a few years from nuclear powered cars.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Regenerative braking technically counts as self-charging, but as my son who works in the EV industry says it is not effective enough to fully recharge an electric car. The industry is working on this but still in research phase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Oh Josy, this happened to me today and seems to happen every day!!?! 

I have a biggish car, so try to keep out of everyones way. 

In a near empty car park, cars had parked really close either side of me... I just don't understand it. 

Andy 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Regenerative braking technically counts as self-charging, but as my son who works in the EV industry says it is not effective enough to fully recharge an electric car. The industry is working on this but still in research phase. 

If they are working on it, I wish they would get a move on. That would really hit the oil and energy companies in the pocket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

In a near empty car park, cars had parked really close either side of me... I just don't understand it. 

Andy 

I sometimes wonder if its worth having a cherished car , at least it would reduce the stress of where to park if you had an old runabout😒

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I sometimes wonder if its worth having a cherished car , at least it would reduce the stress of where to park if you had an old runabout😒

Fair point, but I tend to park away not to make others lives difficult. I just don't understand the reasoning. 

Andy 

• Like 4

Just listening to the news and it really made me think about priorities, the story was about the rising interest rate which will make life hard.

When we bought our first house in 1980 the mortgage rate was at 15% and we struggled and had to do without luxuries such as holidays for a couple of years but we still considered ourselves lucky to own our house and soon learned to budget.  It seems that many younger people today expect to have everything immediately.  We know that several of our friends are subsidising their children's life style.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, pete14 said:

As a hybrid car recharges through regenerative braking, why can’t a full electric car do the same so that it recharges the battery as it is being driven to increase the maximum mileage on a full charge. Maybe this already happens on some models and still they have limited range.

I think Snow Piercer cracked the problem. 

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Andy - welcome back. Have you been enjoying the hot weather in Walton ?

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

If they are working on it, I wish they would get a move on. That would really hit the oil and energy companies in the pocket.

I understand that the boffins are now producing a solid fuel from human waste. It is being trialed in steam trains. A bit like the old BP joke.