P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Have fun Phil

Hard to believe it’s so close to Christmas / New Year cruise time. The shops are in full swing for Christmas and all the slots for M&S and some of the supermarkets gone already!

My order is in with the butcher for a local turkey and trimmings, as ever. There is the usual dire warnings in the papers about lack of birds (and eggs) due to bird flu. One year they will be correct and we will all be on tofu for Christmas dinner.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The shops are in full swing for Christmas and all the slots for M&S and some of the supermarkets gone already!

119976459_vandoor.jpeg.453f58fcf6d34f820d15a4e6aecca7d2.jpeg

This company still has a few slots ,they bring the store to your door :classic_unsure: PS Mr & Mrs Phil ,have a great cruise :classic_love:

• Haha 5

We both received letters today informing us of our winter fuel allowance of £250 each and felt guilty to know that we will be receiving £500 that we are not in need of when times are so hard for so many people.  We have decided that we will donate it to a local charity that we support.

I know that many people rely on this money to help with their heating but it feels wrong that people like us are getting this when we we don't  need it.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

We both received letters today informing us of our winter fuel allowance of £250 each and felt guilty to know that we will be receiving £500 that we are not in need of when times are so hard for so many people.  We have decided that we will donate it to a local charity that we support.

I know that many people rely on this money to help with their heating but it feels wrong that people like us are getting this when we we don't  need it.

We will change ours into euros.  

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Beautiful morning here in Shirrell Heath, having just had a cracking breakfast, The New Place does have exceptional bangers. A nice stroll through the village then get our gear together for our taxi ride to the Mayflower terminal to board Arcadia for the next 40 nights. I will try and report back whenever wifi is available (at no cost of course) If I can't then happy Christmas everyone.

Wishing you an amazing cruise Phil.

13 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

At the moment we can cope, however we have no idea what government support will be available from April 2023 especially if they lift the cap from £2500 to £4300 as Cornwall Insights have been predicting. So we are putting the £500 away in case we need it later in 2023, together with the £66 a month were are currently getting until March, we are currently over £500 in credit which should help over the winter. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 6

Morning everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It must be fairly warm out here today as the bin collection has just been and some of them had t-shirts on.

Yorkshirephil, hope you have a lovely relaxing cruise.

I had a fall yesterday at home just a couple of steps after getting up off the sofa and twisted my ankle inward, sort of stood on the outside of my foot. A trip to local medical centre and 

x-ray shows I have fractured my fifth metatarsal bone. Foot strapped up and going to fracture clinic this morning. He said it might need a pot or boot. Just what I didn’t need as it’s my bad side anyway so can literally not walk at the moment. Frustrating!!!!

Anyway enough moaning from me, have a good day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 12

22 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Beautiful morning here in Shirrell Heath, having just had a cracking breakfast, The New Place does have exceptional bangers. A nice stroll through the village then get our gear together for our taxi ride to the Mayflower terminal to board Arcadia for the next 40 nights. I will try and report back whenever wifi is available (at no cost of course) If I can't then happy Christmas everyone.

Have a lovely time Phil

9 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

It must be fairly warm out here today as the bin collection has just been and some of them had t-shirts on.

I had a fall yesterday at home just a couple of steps after getting up off the sofa and twisted my ankle inward, sort of stood on the outside of my foot. A trip to local medical centre and 

x-ray shows I have fractured my fifth metatarsal bone. Foot strapped up and going to fracture clinic this morning. He said it might need a pot or boot. Just what I didn’t need as it’s my bad side anyway so can literally not walk at the moment. Frustrating!!!!

Michelle

Oh no, that sounds painful, hope it feels better soon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Roten luck, Michelle.  Having had both broken ankle/foot bones and broken femurs, I can vouch for the fact that the apparently more minor problem is just as problematic as the more major one - though hopefully recovery is quicker.

I hope you are right and the recovery is quick, Dr said last night 8+ weeks. Unfortunately it’s the same side affected my my MS which has made my mobility worse than usual. Hoping a pot or boot is going to help.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Sorry to hear this and wish you a speedy recovery. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Josy many “people like us” have paid very high rates of tax all their lives and get little to nothing back in return. If they get the odd thing like this then they have the choice to keep it or do as you are doing and hand it to charity or indeed younger family members who may be struggling.

Sometimes means testing costs more in administration than it achieves in social justice. It also leaves behind those in the grey area who have just too much to get any help but not quite enough to be comfortable or keep their heating on giving the price hikes.

I’m sure your local charity will appreciate the gesture.

• Like 13

Just now, indiana123 said:

Sorry to hear hat.  Hope it al goes well.

Very easy to do isn't it... just a small slip up and something  damnwell breaks. 

Yep, no fun getting older. I can confirm you definitely do not fall as easily when you are older as you did when you are younger!!

Michelle

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

That is a very kind thing to do Josy especially when prices for everything are increasing so much

Michelle

40 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

So sorry Michelle, I hope it heals quickly. It’s amazing how one  missed step can have such painful consequences. Hope you get lots of talc. Xx

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Oh no Michelle.

I'm sorry to hear about your fall and foot bone fractures.

Sending you my best wishes for the best treatment for the quickest recovery for you.

Graham.

• Like 3