P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, kalos said:

That's got me thinking ? On what day should we stop saying Happy New Year ? 🤔

It was traditional up here to say it to anyone you knew well that you had not yet met that year. Not so much now.

Back in the day the party went on for at least 2 days moving from house to house. No matter how late you had been up on Hogmanay you had to be at Granny’s by 2pm on Neerday or you were in real trouble (she was a formidable old lady). 

People entertained each other and everyone had to sing or play an instrument. Most older folks had “their” song like the Road and the Miles or the Northern Lights, one always did the Song of the Clyde and the more she consumed the better she was at the fast bit (if you haven’t heard this Google it, try Kennith McKeller and the fast bit is verse 3).

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Well it’s Monday so Iona is back again, and after the final Sunday events of the Christmas and New Year celebrations all the decorations the Christmas market are being dissembled here in Funchal.

Crikey...I had better run out and make sure I'm on the right ship. I am currently on Iona, at sea, heading towards Cadiz 😱 

Edited by alpha whiskey
  • Haha 11

8 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Crikey...I had better run out and make sure I'm on the right ship. I am currently on Iona, at sea, heading towards Cadiz 😱 

Ah, that comes from too much celebration last night! How could I mistake the floating tower block that is Iona.

• Haha 2

And I thought it was a dockworkers strike today in Funchal.  Saw on MarineTraffic that Azura and AidaNova made it in.  Moley had previously said that some sort arrangement was being looked into as Funchal is an easy port to get into.  Must have worked out. 

Or did the port workers not strike after all #9235359? 

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok on this cold, blustery Monday.

All the take of Madeira has made me excited for my hols in Feb, first time on Azura and first time to Madeira. We have booked the cable car & wicker basket toboggan. 

Some of you may remember I was having a scan to see if I could have a new drug for my MS, I got a letter Saturday saying I am not a suitable candidate. I was disappointed but friends have said it is a positive because I have no active lesions which is what they were looking for and no real changes since my last MRI in November 2019. 

I hate the Winter but signs of Spring are on the way, our daffodil shoots are a few inches high now.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 20

14 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

It was traditional up here to say it to anyone you knew well that you had not yet met that year. Not so much now.

Back in the day the party went on for at least 2 days moving from house to house. No matter how late you had been up on Hogmanay you had to be at Granny’s by 2pm on Neerday or you were in real trouble (she was a formidable old lady). 

People entertained each other and everyone had to sing or play an instrument. Most older folks had “their” song like the Road and the Miles or the Northern Lights, one always did the Song of the Clyde and the more she consumed the better she was at the fast bit (if you haven’t heard this Google it, try Kennith McKeller and the fast bit is verse 3).

Half a century ago I visited rellies in a small village on the east coast of Scotland. At a little after midnight the "master o' the house" took me out "first-fitting." 

We went into one house where the only person was dead to the world sleeping off a spirited celebration in an armchair by the open fire... Andy Stewart crooning away on a very, very small black and white telly.  My relative just helped himself and me to very hearty glasses of whisky from the bottles on the coffee table and we drank them while warming ourselves by the fire. 

When the bloke in the chair woke up, there was a short-slurred conversation and then he got up and stumbled out into the cold dark night. Then my relative explained... "It's nae his hoose... he's just a visitor that's been left ahint when abody else has gone out on the rounds!"

I must confess, I can't remember much about the end of that night.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

All the take of Madeira has made me excited for my hols in Feb, first time on Azura and first time to Madeira. We have booked the cable car & wicker basket toboggan. 

Some of you may remember I was having a scan to see if I could have a new drug for my MS, I got a letter Saturday saying I am not a suitable candidate. I was disappointed but friends have said it is a positive because I have no active lesions which is what they were looking for and no real changes since my last MRI in November 2019. 

I hate the Winter but signs of Spring are on the way, our daffodil shoots are a few inches high now.

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

That is excellent news if you have no active lesions and no change showing on your MRI from November 2019.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9

58 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Madeira has made me excited for my hols in Feb, first time on Azura and first time to Madeira. We have booked the cable car & wicker basket toboggan. 

After your good news with your test ( as your friends say ) I hope you have an amazing time on the Azura and your visit to Madeira . Once at the top with the cable car is a pretty little church.

Our memory on one of our trips was a guy who crawled on his hands and knees up the church 

steps . Not exactly sure if it was a religious thing or a bit too much Madeira wine but he made it.😉

You take care and enjoy 🙂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Hello Michelle,

We had our first trip to Madeira last November and also did the cable car and toboggan trip, it was great fun. If you can, go on the 1st trip, 9am I think, as the queues build up pretty quickly at the cable car and toboggan. Our guide was lovely as was the island, I am sure you will love it.

Molly

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Hi Michelle - I think we are on the same cruise in February (24th).  I did two weeks in November and yes, Madeira is a highlight.   The flowers and gardens are wonderful. I have been there a few times but always enjoy going back.  Making sure I take enough euros this time to buy one of those gorgeous cork handbags sold there.

• Like 2

Thank you @Eglesbrech.

I'm happy to hear you have booked another cruise and pleased that my and John's @zapp positive cruise reviews from personal experience have helped.

Our cruises are shared between

P&O.

Princess.

Royal Caribbean.

Royal and Princess where tipping is very proactively pursued by the crew does result in  better service than P&O which is a bit false imo.

The service in the P&O speciality/pay restaurants is excellent.

Crew in Epicurean on Ventura in October and Azura in November recognised us from our previous cruises on Britannia and Iona dining in Epicurean and they were genuinely pleased to see us.

@grapau27  I have copied this onto this general thread rather than hijack the Arvia one.

Yes so it’s all your fault if I hate it 😀.

Seriously though if fairly like minded people can enjoy it then I’m going in with very a positivities attitude.

They have cancelled one of my excursions (no reason given) which is a bit of a pain as we have done all the others but we will find something nice to do on our own.

Our check in is also very late (car and luggage drop off and a leisurely lunch in Southampton) so I’ll be looking to book as much as possible for speciality dining and the Limelight before we arrive, if we can.

Do they do 3 shows a night on Iona by any chance and if so what are the times? I assume for Iona and Arvia it is the only way to let the majority onboard see at least some of the shows.

Any other tips for what we need to do in advance or quickly once eventually onboard.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Hi Michelle - I think we are on the same cruise in February (24th).  I did two weeks in November and yes, Madeira is a highlight.   The flowers and gardens are wonderful. I have been there a few times but always enjoy going back.  Making sure I take enough euros this time to buy one of those gorgeous cork handbags sold there.

We are on the same cruise, we join on the 25th. You will see me around on my mobility scooter so stop me to to say hello 👋

Michelle

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Thank you @Eglesbrech.

I'm happy to hear you have booked another cruise and pleased that my and John's @zapp positive cruise reviews from personal experience have helped.

Our cruises are shared between

P&O.

Princess.

Royal Caribbean.

Royal and Princess where tipping is very proactively pursued by the crew does result in  better service than P&O which is a bit false imo.

The service in the P&O speciality/pay restaurants is excellent.

Crew in Epicurean on Ventura in October and Azura in November recognised us from our previous cruises on Britannia and Iona dining in Epicurean and they were genuinely pleased to see us.

@grapau27  I have copied this onto this general thread rather than hijack the Arvia one.

Yes so it’s all your fault if I hate it 😀.

Seriously though if fairly like minded people can enjoy it then I’m going in with very a positivities attitude.

They have cancelled one of my excursions (no reason given) which is a bit of a pain as we have done all the others but we will find something nice to do on our own.

Our check in is also very late (car and luggage drop off and a leisurely lunch in Southampton) so I’ll be looking to book as much as possible for speciality dining and the Limelight before we arrive, if we can.

Do they do 3 shows a night on Iona by any chance and if so what are the times? I assume for Iona and Arvia it is the only way to let the majority onboard see at least some of the shows.

Any other tips for what we need to do in advance or quickly once eventually onboard.

Iona shows were 8.30pm and 10.30pm in the theatre when we were on in March.

The better shows I booked on line on the cruise planner.

The other shows did not need to be booked.

When you board they actively encourage you to go and check in at your tender station.

I go straight to the My Holiday desk to book speciality restaurants and get them to update my holiday app so I can pre book additional items.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

Good to hear that after your recent MRI it is not showing  that you have no active leasions, or any changes since your last scan.

I have received a letter from Treliske Hospital saying my consultant has requested an MRI but at this time they cannot give me a date or time, except to say it will be on or around the 28th February.  We go away on the 27th!

1 minute ago, purplesea said:

Good to hear that after your recent MRI it is not showing  that you have no active leasions, or any changes since your last scan.

I have received a letter from Treliske Hospital saying my consultant has requested an MRI but at this time they cannot give me a date or time, except to say it will be on or around the 28th February.  We go away on the 27th!

Hope you get your scan before you go. I dread them, I close my eyes until I am out again. I was on 90 mins last time, it was hard keeping still that long.

Hope it all goes well for you

Michelle

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I know you're feeling disappointed Michelle, but it sounds to be really good news after all. You can look forward to planning your cruise now. I love Maderia, it's a beautiful island.

Avril

• Like 5