P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same here. No visits to the hygienist in 20 years, but I claim absolutely no credit for that - all credit to a decent electric toothbrush, flossing, a water flosser and interdental brushes. My teeth are typical boomer teeth (pre-fluoride) but recommendations of various dentists do seem to have worked, at least in that respect.

Just out of curiosity, who’s still got an NHS dentist? We still have, but I suspect not for much longer.

I do Harry - my local practice has just taken on two new NHS dentists so I'm lucky. Jane.x

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

My NHS check up isn’t free, it costs £23.80 as a Band 1, crowns etc come under Band 3, which is the most expensive band, but cheaper than private.

My dentist only uses white/cream fillings, amalgam seems to have gone, no extra charge. 

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/what-is-included-in-each-nhs-dental-band-charge/

That’s interesting. The last time I paid for a check up, a while back now, it was £10.

White filings are definitely a lot more expensive up here. That’s good that your dentist only uses white.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Cunard fireworks for the departure of QM2 from Southampton on world cruise (just taken place) and departure of queen victoria scheduled for 18.15 ish 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUAbAsD4jM

Have been to Southampton today, I drove our close friends to join QM2 for their  cruise of 1st leg of W C , atrocious weather on drive back to Kent. They were very happy to be upgraded to P G level.  Now to get ourselves ready for Maderia next week.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I do. 

I went to the dentist this morning with my daughter and grandson so that I could keep him occupied after his check up while my daughter had hers. Grandson had other ideas as 2 years old often do. We'd prepared him, told him what would happen, but he went in the room with his mum, took one look at the dentist and came running out screaming. He wouldn't let me comfort him or pick him up so I just apologised profusely to everyone else in the waiting room, manhandled him outside where he continued to cry for his mum 😏He was very unwell before Christmas and needed several medical appointments and I think that's terrified him.

Poor little chap. I hope he's not now freaked out by all practitioners. Maybe it was too close to his recent appointments for him to have got over them. You did make me laugh though Sarah when you said you "manhandled" him out of the waiting room. I suspect most of us have done some manhandling over the years as parents and grandparents. Jane.x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Poor little chap. I hope he's not now freaked out by all practitioners. Maybe it was too close to his recent appointments for him to have got over them. You did make me laugh though Sarah when you said you "manhandled" him out of the waiting room. I suspect most of us have done some manhandling over the years as parents and grandparents. Jane.x

Yes I think it was definitely too soon after his other appointments. They have an uncanny knack of making themselves go floppy and impossible to pick up don't they 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Yes I think it was definitely too soon after his other appointments. They have an uncanny knack of making themselves go floppy and impossible to pick up don't they 🤣

Oh god! you are bringing back memories. So small yet they seem to develop spider powers which enables them to stick to any surface they are on. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dentists back in the 50s and 60s were paid by how many fillings they did.  Surprisingly I always needed a filling. 

My dentist had two treatment rooms connected by a swing door, so he could double the number of innocent children he could  treat ! 

Things weren't always better in the past !

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just reading that Jeff Beck has passed away at the age of 78, very sad as I am sure his music resonates with a few of us oldies, plus who hasn't sung along to Hi Ho Silver Lining at some point?

RIP Jeff Beck.

Though it's obvious! 

Sad news. A great guitarist, who, unfortunately,  will always be remembered by a party song,  that never reflected his skill.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Just reading that Jeff Beck has passed away at the age of 78, very sad as I am sure his music resonates with a few of us oldies, plus who hasn't sung along to Hi Ho Silver Lining at some point?

RIP Jeff Beck.

As a teenager in South London, I saw Jeff a number of times when ' Long Rod Stewart " was his singer and as ' Beck, Boggert, Appice." He will be very much missed

RIP Jeff.

Ps. He hated Hi Ho silver lining

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

As a teenager in South London, I saw Jeff a number of times when ' Long Rod Stewart " was his singer and as ' Beck, Boggert, Appice." He will be very much missed

RIP Jeff.

Ps. He hated Hi Ho silver lining

I wish I had seen him.

I'm sure he hated Hi Ho !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I wish I had seen him.

I'm sure he hated Hi Ho !

I would think so. My son introduced me to his music a few years ago, and one of my favourite pieces of music in the world is Cause We have Ended As Lovers -  always makes me cry!    RIP.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

RIP Jeff Beck.

Very sad to read .😟

Makes you realise your getting old when over half the artistes in your record collection 

are no longer with us .

R I P Jeff 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

RIP Jeff Beck.

I have definitely sung it a lot more often than I like to admit.  The last time was in December last year.

A group of friends and I go twice a year to see the "Uncle Eric" shows originally at The Victoria Theatre and then The New Vic in Stoke-on-Trent and every time the show ends with a sing along, "Hi Ho Silver Lining" is always the encore song, so we have been singing it twice a year for approximately 18 to 20 years.

Unfortunately I never managed to see Jeff Beck perform live.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

Dentists back in the 50s and 60s were paid by how many fillings they did.  Surprisingly I always needed a filling. 

My dentist had two treatment rooms connected by a swing door, so he could double the number of innocent children he could  treat ! 

You tell people treated in that generation by the Australian trench in their mouths. That and the perfect pock mark on their arms.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Very sad to read .😟

Makes you realise your getting old when over half the artistes in your record collection 

are no longer with us .

R I P Jeff 

Makes you feel even older when you haven't got any records and even if you did, you haven't got anything to play them on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

The two words that struck fear into every child was 'School Dentist'

It took years for me to get over the fear of dentists. When I was 28 I found a dentist with the off putting name of Greef. He promised me the only pain he would give me was with his singing and he was true to his word. His singing was dreadful, but he cured my fear of dentists. 

Avril

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The two words that struck fear into every child was 'School Dentist'

It took years for me to get over the fear of dentists. When I was 28 I found a dentist with the off putting name of Greef. He promised me the only pain he would give me was with his singing and he was true to his word. His singing was dreadful, but he cured my fear of dentists. 

Avril

Or the Nit Nurse!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Nitty Nora.

Now your giving me flashbacks 😮

My mother used to be obsessed with the blighters when I was a young kid.

Every Sunday night she would scrap the hell out of my head with a metal tooth comb.

" But mam I aint got nits "  I would complain but it made no odds, every Sunday, the same.

What made it worse she was mates with the district nurse who supplied her with loads 

of Derbac  shampoo which stunk awful.

"Can't I use Vosene like you and Dad ? "  Not a chance ,no kid of hers was having nits !

God help you if she saw you even go near your head with anything that looked like you 

were scratching your head ! Out came the tooth comb like it or not 😢

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Now your giving me flashbacks 😮

My mother used to be obsessed with the blighters when I was a young kid.

Every Sunday night she would scrap the hell out of my head with a metal tooth comb.

" But mam I aint got nits "  I would complain but it made no odds, every Sunday, the same.

What made it worse she was mates with the district nurse who supplied her with loads 

of Derbac  shampoo which stunk awful.

"Can't I use Vosene like you and Dad ? "  Not a chance ,no kid of hers was having nits !

God help you if she saw you even go near your head with anything that looked like you 

were scratching your head ! Out came the tooth comb like it or not 😢

Oh the heady delights of school days.😬

Avril

Ps kalos, I'm now starting to itch😧

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2