P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, Snow Hill said:

Neighbours started being broadcast in the year 1986, between 1986 and 1988 3,500 girls were name Kylie in England and Wales probably name after Kylie Minogue who starred in the show.

Yes I remember all the Kylies and Jason’s from that era.

Jordan also became very popular after Michael Jordan. Chardonnay was another one, it became popular after someone from TV as well.

A few years ago during some research I came across a Crimea war veteran who gave his children names after battles he was involved in Crimea & Sebastopol for 2 sons and Alma for daughter. I late 1800s a number of sons got called Beaconsfield after the Earl of Beaconsfield Tory PM Benjamin Disraeli. Fir political balance a number also were called Ewart Gladstone after William Ewart Gladstone the Liberal PM 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

Sorry folks, I can top them all. My dad was a railway signalman and worked with a guy called Leonard Duck, one of his kids was my age so when he was born in 1948 his dad called him….. drum roll, DONALD! Absolutely true I promise you, and this in a mining village in West Yorkshire! Imagine what his school years must have been like.

There was Donald Duck in Seaham Co. Durham also a mining family. I wonder if they were related, or the same person? The age is right.

• Like 1

My niece named her daughter Esme after an old lady she had been nursing ehen she was pregnant who she said was the nicest person that she had ever met.  The only person I had come across named Esme was a French lady that I had worked with but when I started to take our Esme to school I found that it was a really common name with various spellings,  Ezme, Ezmay, Esmay, Essmay.

I also noticed that some boys names are what I have always thought of as surnames Jackson, Harrison, Davidson.

I guess each generation has a list of common names.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

My niece named her daughter Esme after an old lady she had been nursing ehen she was pregnant who she said was the nicest person that she had ever met.  The only person I had come across named Esme was a French lady that I had worked with but when I started to take our Esme to school I found that it was a really common name with various spellings,  Ezme, Ezmay, Esmay, Essmay.

I also noticed that some boys names are what I have always thought of as surnames Jackson, Harrison, Davidson.

I guess each generation has a list of common names.

We have the second name clan up here, listen to Billy Connelly.

Farquhar, Finlay, Campbell is on the phone for you.

Campbell, Frazer and McKenzie are asking if you want to go out.

Edited by Eglesbrech
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We have the second name clan up here, listen to Billy Connelly.

Farquhar, Finlay, Campbell is on the phone for you.

Campbell, Frazer and McKenzie are asking if you want to go out.

I was thinking that earlier, my all time favourite comedian and all round good egg.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes indeed.

Royal names were very popular hence all the Charles, James, George, Anne’s, Victoria, Elizabeth’s etc.

Some now are a little more ambitious and I can’t imagine them being shouted at the play park of at dinner time. Thor, your teas out.

Only if their tea was frozen😁

Avril

• Haha 10

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Seen him live a number of times. He is so funny (if a little vulgar). One of the few people who make me laugh out loud.

When he started out he was quite clean and he probably started swearing to keep up with other comedians, I remember the sketch he did back in the 70's " A wee swearie". I first saw him live in Sheffield when he did the big banana feet tour.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

When he started out he was quite clean and he probably started swearing to keep up with other comedians, I remember the sketch he did back in the 70's " A wee swearie". I first saw him live in Sheffield when he did the big banana feet tour.

He played in the Humble Bums locally at our folk club. He is a better comedian than singer!

Gerry Rafferty went on to be the better musician from that group.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

A girl in my class at school was called Elizabeth Orr.

The teacher used to shout to her

EEE  orr 😂

Don't you just hate it when your teacher would make an Ass of themselves 😉

• Haha 10

Talking names, it is ;funny how some of them really date you.  Mine is an 'all time' one, which is lucky.

A while ago we knew anyone called Gladys, Ethel, Alfred, Herbert etc. was likely to be pretty old - but some of those names are coming back in, which is possibly a good thing.  (If you like them of course).

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

8:30 and the snow is pristine so I think that the workers and the 3 children who live in our road must be taking a snow day off.  I will be staying inside again. ❄️20230119_082046.thumb.jpg.b6ea3e9516f4fffee5fb1207a09a2500.jpg

20230119_081436.jpg

20230119_081359.jpg

Beautiful josy just my kind of weather I love snow ️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Don't you just hate it when your teacher would make an Ass of themselves 😉

One of my teachers once pointed a ruler at me and said "do you realise there is an idiot at the end of this ruler" she wasn't happy when i asked "which end?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 17