P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I was married at 19 and so were most of my friends.  It's almost unheard of now.  

In those days if you were still single in your early/mid 20s  your mother would be worried.  Well mine would have been anyway.

How times have changed,  I have friends who have put joke  Notices to Quit on the bedroom doors of their nearly 40 year olds!🤣

• Haha 8

20 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I was married at 19 and so were most of my friends.  It's almost unheard of now.  

In those days if you were still single in your early/mid 20s  your mother would be worried.  Well mine would have been anyway.

How times have changed,  I have friends who have put joke  Notices to Quit on the bedroom doors of their nearly 40 year olds!🤣

I married before my elder sister and my grandmother commiserated with her for being “ left in the shelf”. She was 23 at the time! Changed days indeed.

• Like 4

On 3/23/2023 at 8:48 AM, lincslady said:

Changing the subject a bit - does anyone else from the North and Northwest watch Corrie?  It is on for 3 one hour programmes a week, so too much really, but I confess to dipping in  a time or two most weeks.  The storylines have got ridiculous, to compete with the others, but still some funny lines and good performances.  

I watched last night, and was surprisingly moved by what struck me as an excellent performance by Maureen Lipman, as a crotchety old grannie, and her dog Cerberus, who had to be put to sleep.  I am not a dog person, but found it quite moving and beautifully done.

Maureen Lipman is the best thing about Corrie at the moment. I watch out of habit but it’s a shadow of its former self.

• Like 2

Morning all, very remiss of me not to pop in before but I know it takes so long to catch up on this thread! 
Work has been crazy busy as we’ve had 2 full timers move to different departments and us left are picking up the slack. I did a couple of split shifts last week 8-11 then 4-6. This meant on Thursday I went to visit a friend for lunch I haven’t seen since 2020! Although we’ve spoken on the phone it was great to see her again.

My mum was supposed to have a procedure yesterday but the hospital have cancelled it until the Tuesday after Easter.

Hope you are all well and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Like 12

On 3/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, Josy1953 said:

👍

You will recognise us, DH will be the man bent over double by thd weight of my luggage 🤣

Have a great time Josy (and Wowzz) and belated Happy Birthday 🎂 x

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Maureen Lipman is the best thing about Corrie at the moment. I watch out of habit but it’s a shadow of its former self.

After watching since I was a child, I finally gave up on it about 6 or 7 years ago, when the humour became less and less and there so many episodes to catch up on if you had been away - twice a week with Mavis, Percy Sugden, Blanche, Norris etc suited me down to the ground!

In fact, when I was about 11, I remember writing to my favourites at Granada requesting signed photos and had a good collection including Elsie Tanner, Len Fairclough, Ena, Martha and Minnie, the latter being a favourite since she included a long hand written letter, probably because I had admired her cat, Bobby 😁.

And, Harry if you are reading, I just about remember the Grove family!  These days I catch up with the Archers on the iPlayer but that's about it for long running series.  

After having been away, my recorded catch ups are The Bay, Unforgotten, Would I lie to You and The Andrew Neil Show.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

After watching since I was a child, I finally gave up on it about 6 or 7 years ago, when the humour became less and less and there so many episodes to catch up on if you had been away - twice a week with Mavis, Percy Sugden, Blanche, Norris etc suited me down to the ground!

In fact, when I was about 11, I remember writing to my favourites at Granada requesting signed photos and had a good collection including Elsie Tanner, Len Fairclough, Ena, Martha and Minnie, the latter being a favourite since she included a long hand written letter, probably because I had admired her cat, Bobby 😁.

And, Harry if you are reading, I just about remember the Grove family!  These days I catch up with the Archers on the iPlayer but that's about it for long running series.  

After having been away, my recorded catch ups are The Bay, Unforgotten, Would I lie to You and The Andrew Neil Show.

I watch all of those except Andrew Marr, I love WiLTY!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I watch all of those except Andrew Marr, I love WiLTY!

Me too Sue. I love the 3 main players and the way they interact with each other. I watched an old episode on You Tube the other day - 'Lee Mack's Wok Around the Clock' - really clever and so so funny. Good to hear from you Sue. Keep well. Jane xxxx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't watched Coronation St for many years now, not since it changed from a funny light-hearted  northern soap opera into a doom and gloom miserable saga. I watched from the very first  black and white episode, when Ken Barlow first walked the cobbles coming home from college, Jack and Annie Walker ran The Rovers Return and Florrie Lindley had the corner shop. I also remember Alan Rothwell, who played Ken's brother, David and old Albert Tatlock (Uncle Albert)

Avril

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Me too Sue. I love the 3 main players and the way they interact with each other. I watched an old episode on You Tube the other day - 'Lee Mack's Wok Around the Clock' - really clever and so so funny. Good to hear from you Sue. Keep well. Jane xxxx

Lee Mack is so sharp, really thinks on his feet!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I haven't watched Coronation St for many years now, not since it changed from a funny light-hearted  northern soap opera into a doom and gloom miserable saga. I watched from the very first  black and white episode, when Ken Barlow first walked the cobbles coming home from college, Jack and Annie Walker ran The Rovers Return and Florrie Lindley had the corner shop. I also remember Alan Rothwell, who played Ken's brother, David and old Albert Tatlock (Uncle Albert)

Avril

I don’t quite remember that early but Annie Walker was the landlady when I first watched. We went on the tour in 2013 or 2014, very interesting! As a child my sister and I used to go upstairs to bed  as the credits rolled on the Street 😊

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I don’t quite remember that early but Annie Walker was the landlady when I first watched. We went on the tour in 2013 or 2014, very interesting! As a child my sister and I used to go upstairs to bed  as the credits rolled on the Street 😊

I find it quite strange how I can recall trivia from over 60 years ago, and yet today, I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen😄

Avril

• Haha 11

29 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

An hour 3 times a week is too long.Gets monotonous after half hour..Still watch it though,sad.Brian.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Never heard of the Groves but remember the Larkins with Peggy Mount and David Kossoff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Eee ba gum, tha gooin back a bit Avril. Coronoggy was compulsory in our house, we were not even allowed to talk as kids when it was on. Like you I watched it when it was amusing. I too remember the old characters, we all had our favourites. Irma Ogden, Ena Sharples, Valerie Barlow (Tatlock) played by the great Anne Reid, that was shocking. I loved Stan Ogden and Eddie Yates, great double act. Another great double act was Curley and Reg at Freshco. There have been some top actors over the years.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Likewise on the Grove Family. It was about the first television programme I was ever aware of back in the 1950s. The first British TV soap according to this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grove_Family

Nice to get that letter!  How very kind of her.

I watched Pat Phoenix open a new Tesco in Ipswich in the 60s, but that was about it. Used to watch Coronation Street and East Enders way back, along with Brookside, which was great in its early days under Phil Redmond, plus Angels because my wife was a nurse. We gave the whole lot up more or less overnight though years back when they started monopolising the schedules. Even given up on the Archers now, though the coercive control story they ran a while back was excellent and incredibly useful.

On a related subject, Great Expectations has been slammed by most of the critics, but we must be the only ones who think it’s the most interesting adaptation yet. Looking forward to tonight’s episode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I find it quite strange how I can recall trivia from over 60 years ago, and yet today, I can't remember why I walked into the kitchen😄

Avril

Welcome to todays Corrie Trivia show ...😉

Minnie Caldwell had a ginger pussy that she always spoke fondly about but what 

name did she call it by ? 🤔

Behave and no googling 🙂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

An hour 3 times a week is too long.Gets monotonous after half hour..Still watch it though,sad.Brian.

I think one hour us about right. DW goes upstairs to watch it, which means I get to watch something. I prefer realistic, happy shows like the last of us.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I think one hour us about right. DW goes upstairs to watch it, which means I get to watch something. I prefer realistic, happy shows like the last of us.

Just googled that.The everyday story of Tilbury folk.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Eee ba gum, tha gooin back a bit Avril. Coronoggy was compulsory in our house, we were not even allowed to talk as kids when it was on. Like you I watched it when it was amusing. I too remember the old characters, we all had our favourites. Irma Ogden, Ena Sharples, Valerie Barlow (Tatlock) played by the great Anne Reid, that was shocking. I loved Stan Ogden and Eddie Yates, great double act. Another great double act was Curley and Reg at Freshco. There have been some top actors over the years.

Val Barlow,electrocuted doing the ironing.That was the highlight of the decade.I remember her being interviewed years after and she got a bit shirty when her Corrie career was mentioned.Old Ken's still doing alright on it.Never look a gift horse,lol.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Val Barlow,electrocuted doing the ironing.That was the highlight of the decade.I remember her being interviewed years after and she got a bit shirty when her Corrie career was mentioned.Old Ken's still doing alright on it.Never look a gift horse,lol.

Funny old world. When I lived in London folk didn't spend every lunchtime and evening 7 days a week in the local pub. Apparently they do in East London, Manchester and the Yorkshire dales.

• Haha 8

Subtle change of topic.Palm Sunday today,the village church rammed, 

people standing outside watching in,the flower stall doing a roaring trade and everyone carrying these little palm posies around.Usual Sunday roast for us tonight.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 6