P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Always thought of Maureen Lipmann as a comedy actress, but she was in The Pianist.

I’ve always rated her as an actor (but not enough to watch Corrie again) and saw her twice in one woman shows in the West End. The first time was as Joyce Grenfell and the second as Florence Foster Jenkins - years before the film with Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant came out.

I think the comedy label comes from her BT ads - ‘an ‘ology, he’s got an ‘ology?’ 😁

• Like 6

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know this isn't the correct thread,  but out of interest, the queue for CPS  parking at Mayflower today, was horrendous. I used Parking4cruises,  and was in and out in five minutes,  but the queue for CPS was at least 60 cars long. Admittedly this was right when boarding started, so I suppose the lesson is not to turn up early with CPS. 

We didn't  have a problem with the CPS parking.  We left our hotel at 10:15, there were 4 cars in front of us for CPS parking, we were directed to the priority check-in and were on board at 10:35, as we boarded we were told that the cabins weren't ready so to keep our hand luggage with us.  We have been told this on previous cruises but then found that the cabins were ready so took a chance and went to our cabin, sure enough it had been serviced so we dumped our hand luggage and went to get a coffee in the International Cafe.

I guess things change quickly with the queues.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

I’ve always rated her as an actor (but not enough to watch Corrie again) and saw her twice in one woman shows in the West End. The first time was as Joyce Grenfell and the second as Florence Foster Jenkins - years before the film with Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant came out.

I think the comedy label comes from her BT ads - ‘an ‘ology, he’s got an ‘ology?’ 😁

She’s excellent, whatever she does, as was her late husband Jack Rosenthal, who, funnily enough, was a key Coronation Street scriptwriter quite apart from the less lightweight stuff he did. 

She did some really funny monologues for Radio 4 fairly recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cmzd

Born in Hull too - a fine, but much maligned, city.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Special very late birthday Sunday lunch today.

920E9F85-FE22-4265-B1F1-D26EF0599A61.jpeg

F64FF7E9-50FA-406D-9083-95F8AA8CE155.jpeg

Those roast spuds look just like I like them Pete.Crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.Enjoy.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We didn't  have a problem with the CPS parking.  We left our hotel at 10:15, there were 4 cars in front of us for CPS parking, we were directed to the priority check-in and were on board at 10:35, as we boarded we were told that the cabins weren't ready so to keep our hand luggage with us.  We have been told this on previous cruises but then found that the cabins were ready so took a chance and went to our cabin, sure enough it had been serviced so we dumped our hand luggage and went to get a coffee in the International Cafe.

I think you got there so early that the queues had not started. If everyone got there as early as you, you would have experienced the same queues as I saw.

The earliest official boarding time was 11am, and the CPS queues were massive by then.

22 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I thought the check in staff didn't actually start checking pax in until 11:00.

We're using CPS for the first time in about 6 or 7 years for our next cruise.  On Arvia so expecting a queue.  Be nice if it's short.

Jane

As Avril alluded to earlier it’s quite often the here and now that catches us ‘oldies’ out in the memory department, I went upstairs the other day and completely forgot why which is doubly worrying as I live in a bungalow! I don’t really but thought it was too good a quip to pass up on.

• Haha 12

We often forget what we have done a day or two ago.  I might say "where were we on Wednesday" and we have to sit and rack our brains!🤣

Worse still, I have a lady to help with the heavy stuff once a fortnight and gardeners come also once a fortnight. we also travel to meet an old friend every other Tuesday.   You can imagine the mess we both get in with that!🤣

• Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We're using CPS for the first time in about 6 or 7 years for our next cruise.  On Arvia so expecting a queue.  Be nice if it's short.

Josy is currently on Sky Princess so, presumably because they will have a lot of American guests who hate queues, they make sure the embarkation process runs more smoothly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Those roast spuds look just like I like them Pete.Crispy on the outside and soft in the middle.Enjoy.

They were exactly as you describe and exactly as I like them. They tasted as good as they look. Never had such good ones when eating out.

• Like 2

To all of you who are worried about forgetting things ,don't worry as 

I have been forgetting things for as long as i can remember !

I’ll never forget the time I had to do PE in my underwear after forgetting my shorts.

It ended my teaching career there and then.:classic_wacko:

Spelling words is another, I keep forgetting how to spell words like  "Armageddon" 

but I keep telling myself It's not it's the end of the world is it ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Special very late birthday Sunday lunch today.

920E9F85-FE22-4265-B1F1-D26EF0599A61.jpeg

F64FF7E9-50FA-406D-9083-95F8AA8CE155.jpeg

Very nice, where is that? Looks fab.

(Missed you this weekend at your little palace by the sea - the sun shone though it felt like minus 10!)

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

We often forget what we have done a day or two ago.  I might say "where were we on Wednesday" and we have to sit and rack our brains!🤣

Worse still, I have a lady to help with the heavy stuff once a fortnight and gardeners come also once a fortnight. we also travel to meet an old friend every other Tuesday.   You can imagine the mess we both get in with that!🤣

In the Police detective programmes the police man asks the suspect, ' where were you Thursday before last!!!.

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

Jane

As Avril alluded to earlier it’s quite often the here and now that catches us ‘oldies’ out in the memory department, I went upstairs the other day and completely forgot why which is doubly worrying as I live in a bungalow! I don’t really but thought it was too good a quip to pass up on.

It really was a good quip to pass on John - one that I haven't heard for many years. I worked in a pub in the evenings a few years ago and we had plenty of barstewards in there I can tell you! J.x

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We used them two weeks ago when we joined Iona around 1 pm and waited in the car for no more than 2/3 minutes before we were processed.  We have only had a long queue with them just once (a few years ago pre-covid, but from memory, 15 minutes tops), but hey, we were sat in our car and not having to cart the luggage any distance, so no stress at all.

Additionally, the disembarkation process was so quick, just across the road, and DH who normally hates handing over the car keys, is always impressed with them and remarked what a slick operation it is.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

In the Police detective programmes the police man asks the suspect, ' where were you Thursday before last!!!.

I was questioned by the police recently, he said "where were you between 5 and 6 sir"

"Junior school officer"

• Haha 11

First up best dressed, stunning morning here with clear blue sky and a light frost. ASDA run this morning as we have friends coming to dinner. If it is anything like yesterday we could be having it outside? Enjoy your day wherever it takes you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

First up best dressed, stunning morning here with clear blue sky and a light frost. ASDA run this morning as we have friends coming to dinner. If it is anything like yesterday we could be having it outside? Enjoy your day wherever it takes you.

We have lovely clear skies... no rain forecast ...but only 2˚C!

• Like 1

Clear blue skies here too, windscreen on car frozen over, temp currently 2C feels like -2C.

Due on a volunteer shift this afternoon, temp due to be 7C feels like 3C, so thermals will be the order of the day I think. 

Was a warm afternoon yesterday sowed the last of my flowers seeds in the greenhouse, chitting potatoes and reorganised greenhouse, glad I put horticultural fleece over the trays last night. 

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Happy birthday Pete 

79569638189c5e9b97608205eb1786cc_w200.gif

Thanks Graham and Brian. It was a couple of weeks ago though so lunch was a delayed one, but worth the wait.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Very nice, where is that? Looks fab.

(Missed you this weekend at your little palace by the sea - the sun shone though it felt like minus 10!)

It was Lunar at World of Wedgwood in Barlaston. 

We will be at the ‘little palace by the sea’ for 5-6 days from Wednesday. They think it may be a bit warmer.

• Like 2