P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The perfect end to our first bowling match of the season, we won away from home on the worst green that we have to play on, 114 to122.

DH had a glass of my favourite wine, Pinot Gris, waiting when I got home.

Well done (unless it was against a team local to me).

• Haha 1

Glorious day out side, 5K walk to pharmacy, then trimmed the Ivy hedge, virtually fill the green bin with ivy cuttings, then mowed the lawn, over 12,000 steps and my calves are sore, knees and thigh muscles aching as it my back. One day I will remember I am 70 not 17 anymore. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Glorious day out side, 5K walk to pharmacy, then trimmed the Ivy hedge, virtually fill the green bin with ivy cuttings, then mowed the lawn, over 12,000 steps and my calves are sore, knees and thigh muscles aching as it my back. One day I will remember I am 70 not 17 anymore. 

70 is the new 50!

• Haha 3

Morning hope your all ok ,

Are you ready  for the alert this Sunday ? Rather than risk getting caught out by the

emergency alert this Sunday, So this siren doesn't make me jump ,I have come up
with a cunning plan, I'm going to put a alert reminder in my phone so I'm not alerted 
by the alert . 
Nowt up with alerting and warning people, my granddad kept warning  people that the

Titanic would sink. No one listened, but he kept on warning them nonetheless until they

got sick of him and kicked him out of the Odeon  theatre.
Oh and before we forget  it's also Happy St Georges day on Sunday , you know the saint 
day that seems to be done on the quiet . Unless anyone is holding a full blown party
for him ? Does anyone do anything ?🤔

Have a good day :classic_love:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

70 is the new 50!

Age is only a number... not a descriptor... and 70 is the new 50... for those who have a zest for life, live life to the full and have the generosity to share their love of life and the wonderful world that we live in with others.

It's almost 50 years since John Denver first sang about his senses being filled up like a night in a forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and a sleepy blue ocean. Perhaps it's because we both get such a spiritual, emotional and intellectual boost from the magnificence of the creation around us that we so love to cruise.

Just a month or so in the midst of a Norwegian winter we visited the North Cape which was deep in snow on a brilliantly clear and sun drenched day. It was remarkable how many of the 70+ year olds were so exhilarated and excited that they explored on foot through the deep snow... determined to make the most of every second... while many much younger (and presumably much fitter) 50ishers... sat in the coffee shop immersed in their smart phones... they were surrounded by nature at it's best but chose to mentally transport themselves thousands of miles away... via the time-space keyhole portal of a smart phone screen... to a different, possibly less exciting, less inspirational place. 

It may be that many 70+ year olds have gained the wisdom and understanding that there's more to do than simply... ticking something else off the list of things to do before kicking the proverbial bucket. Perhaps many 70+ year olds see every day is another gift, another opportunity to fill up the senses and to generously share their love of life! 

DSC_2386.thumb.jpeg.94ac7b283f3cf2f81d63bd2d4ed0a96e.jpeg

• Like 16

21 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is sunny and 10°C here.

I had my hips assessed at 08.30am at the muscular skeletal unit and confirmed replacements needed although I will put off as long as possible.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Sorry to hear this Graham but hope that you can take some inspiration from other hip replacement successes such as those that Craig Revel-Horwood has had in the past. 
Looking forward to some photos of you dancing the light fantastic with the glamorous Pauline on a future (post-op) cruise.
Best wishes.

Damian

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

One of my favourites is the guy with piles went into the local chemist

"na then Doris as ta any ar$e cream"

"Aye Bert whats tha wont Magnum of cornetto?"

That must be a chemist in Humbersaard.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Age is only a number... not a descriptor... and 70 is the new 50... for those who have a zest for life, live life to the full and have the generosity to share their love of life and the wonderful world that we live in with others.

It's almost 50 years since John Denver first sang about his senses being filled up like a night in a forest, the mountains in springtime, a walk in the rain, a storm in the desert and a sleepy blue ocean. Perhaps it's because we both get such a spiritual, emotional and intellectual boost from the magnificence of the creation around us that we so love to cruise.

Just a month or so in the midst of a Norwegian winter we visited the North Cape which was deep in snow on a brilliantly clear and sun drenched day. It was remarkable how many of the 70+ year olds were so exhilarated and excited that they explored on foot through the deep snow... determined to make the most of every second... while many much younger (and presumably much fitter) 50ishers... sat in the coffee shop immersed in their smart phones... they were surrounded by nature at it's best but chose to mentally transport themselves thousands of miles away... via the time-space keyhole portal of a smart phone screen... to a different, possibly less exciting, less inspirational place. 

It may be that many 70+ year olds have gained the wisdom and understanding that there's more to do than simply... ticking something else off the list of things to do before kicking the proverbial bucket. Perhaps many 70+ year olds see every day is another gift, another opportunity to fill up the senses and to generously share their love of life! 

I strongly suggest following Jesse Itzler on YouTube or twitter

He has a rule called Kevin's Rule where every 3 months you do something you've never done before 

Ive amended it to every month for me

Once I'm fully retired may even try for every week. You just have to make the effort

Doesn't have to be big things

Just anything you've never done before or for a very long time

Fly a kite

Complete a jigsaw

Bake a cake

Skydive

Canoe somewhere

Ride a horse

Visit a place

Watch a professional netball or basketball match

Sing with a choir

Stargaze

Paint a picture

Learn a new dance

Random stuff you put into a diary and commit to doing

No matter what age you can start that and there will be things you can do you've never tried or haven't done since you were a child that are easy

Once a week doing something new and in a year that's 52 new things you've experienced in life

YouTube is great for creative stuff to try

It's all about being able to one day look back at all the  things you have done in life and say

"I just won at life"

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Youth is wasted on the young. It's only as they age they will begin to realise what they have lost.

Avril

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

That is when his birth is celebrated but his exact date of birth is not known.

True.

As with almost everyone at that time. The record is of the baptism. Only the baptised were recognised by the church and recorded. It's very likely that he was baptised within a few hours of his birth... as soon as John Shakespeare and Mary Arden could walk the few hundred years to Holy Trinity Church in Stratford. It would have been a private family occasion... often only the immediate household.

It was important... no baptism, no other sacraments and no entry into God's grace. The wind screaming around the cottages during a gale were taken to be the screams of unbaptised children. Nobody at that time wanted to have such an outcome for their children.

The baptism record is on display in Holy Trinity Church in Stratford.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

do something you've never done before 

Ive amended it to every month for me

Once I'm fully retired may even try for every week. You just have to make the effort

Doesn't have to be big things

Just anything you've never done before or for a very long time

BEEN THERE DONE THAT 😉jump.jpg.80761924dae24376a5acf9d422d7d6df.jpg

• Haha 14

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Amusing, though, that St George was born in what’s now Turkey, and never visited England!

Also the Flag of St George was “borrowed” from the Genoese City State and flown on English Ships as they would receive protection from the Genoese Navy. A fee was paid by England to Genoa for use of the flag, we stopped paying in 1771. the deal was struck in around 1190. A few years ago the Mayor of Genoa wrote to Queen and in light hearted comment said we owed them 247 years of arrears on the fee. 

• Haha 1

11c here this morning, rain has been just south of us for a few hours but creeping this way. It’s so dull though almost need the lights on.

I made good use of the good weather the past few days with long walks, gardening and washing the car. Today will be spent indoors and I will be batch cooking a chicken curry this afternoon which uses 14 spices!.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

True.

As with almost everyone at that time. The record is of the baptism. Only the baptised were recognised by the church and recorded. It's very likely that he was baptised within a few hours of his birth... as soon as John Shakespeare and Mary Arden could walk the few hundred years to Holy Trinity Church in Stratford. It would have been a private family occasion... often only the immediate household.

It was important... no baptism, no other sacraments and no entry into God's grace. The wind screaming around the cottages during a gale were taken to be the screams of unbaptised children. Nobody at that time wanted to have such an outcome for their children.

The baptism record is on display in Holy Trinity Church in Stratford.

If he was baptised a few hours after birth then his birthday is 26 April. I have numerous examples in my 40 years of research of children being baptised from a few hours, months or even years after birth. I have an ancestor who was baptised at the age of 23, 2 weeks before his marriage, seems his parents forgot to get him baptised. 

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I must add what a lovely bloke.

I was once on holiday in an all inclusive hotel in Cyprus. 

I'm a Forest fan and was on holiday with a Newcastle fan. 

Anyway turned out Des Walker (Forest and England defender was staying in the same hotel)

And me and my mate knocked about with him for a few days. Went jet skiing together a few times and late night drinks etc. 

When we asked about various players he only had brilliant things to say about Gazza (there were plenty he had bad things to say about as well!)

But I always remember him saying if we ever went to war again and you were in the trenches and you wanted someone alongside you that you could rely on and trust it would be Paul Gascoigne

Which says a lot about him. When you think of all the players Des Walker will have played with. 

That's his character he's talking about and  his heart. Not just his talent.

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 3