P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

44 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t like these big camper vans or rather I dislike the drivers who haven’t got a clue how to drive on a single track road and use passing places. They were out in their droves last week.

The weather also catches them out. We came back from the islands on Friday leaving in brilliant sunshine then travelling through blinding snow a couple of hours later. It happens. The Green Welly was jammed with folks who aren’t used to driving in snow on small roads. A few hours later brilliant sunshine again. 

The last couple of days have been lovely weather wise. A great start to spring.

The current keeper of the battle bus can’t even drive as yet.

Driven a lot of us crazy though! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Quite a pleasant day here.  I went out early to do some local election leafleting, so I have exceeded 16000 steps already.

I had an interesting house where I couldn't find a letterbox in the door nor one attached to the wall, I am still trying to think how they get their mail or is it just a good way to avoid unwanted leaflets and bills.

I have hust been to the opticians, I was pleasantly surprised when they told me they total cost because it is actually cheaper than the last year.

Cushty,you need a battlebus.If you've got the readys,I know this Scotch geezer who'll do ya a deal.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

We've arrived home from a truly fantastic escape to the Western Highlands in Scotland

I'm sure many of you have visited them

If not then I highly recommend

Without doubt IMO the most breathtaking scenery in UK. Mountains, gorges, locks, beaches all together!!

And speaking to other tourists there they rated the scenery as good as anywhere in the world. Some well traveled US tourists said only New Zealand had been comparable in their opinion

And although it's a long drive (it took us 8.5 hrs from Derbyshire) it's one of the best places we have ever visited and we will be back as we only scratched the surface!!

All joking aside,that's a long way.We can add a few hours to that from Essex.The longest I've drove was when we woke up in France to the news that half of Italy was locked down.We had to drive 11 hours to Umbria to get out of it.Never again.We'll need an overnight to get that far North.Didn't realise Scotland was that big.Brian.

Interesting news story today:

Google’s AI has taught itself the Bengali language, even though it wasn’t asked to do so. “We discovered that with very few amounts of prompting in Bengali, it can now translate all of Bengali,” chief executive Sundar Pichai told CBS’s 60 Minutes. He says his top researchers don’t really know how it managed the feat, adding that “all of us in the field” refer to the whole system as a “black box” – something “you don’t fully understand”.

Just me finding this distinctly worrying?  Dave?

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Google’s AI has taught itself the Bengali language, even though it wasn’t asked to do so. “We discovered that with very few amounts of prompting in Bengali, it can now translate all of Bengali,” chief executive Sundar Pichai told CBS’s 60 Minutes. He says his top researchers don’t really know how it managed the feat, adding that “all of us in the field” refer to the whole system as a “black box” – something “you don’t fully understand”.

I agree Harry,Alexa does listen in on all that is around without being "summoned".Quite feasable with everyone in that office speaking Bengali,she has mastered the language with just a few prompts to go on.Shame she can't cook a decent Madras.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I agree Harry,Alexa does listen in on all that is around without being "summoned".Quite feasable with everyone in that office speaking Bengali,she has mastered the language with just a few prompts to go on.Shame she can't cook a decent Madras.

Alexa ! 

Alexa, tell me a joke. . . Alexa? Alexa? Are you there ? 

Sorry, I wasn't listening. I thought you deserved some privacy.

Really?  Aww, that's so  nice of you 

Would you like to hear another joke?

The only question Alexa cannot answer is    .. Why are you unplugged?  🙃
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

All joking aside,that's a long way.We can add a few hours to that from Essex.The longest I've drove was when we woke up in France to the news that half of Italy was locked down.We had to drive 11 hours to Umbria to get out of it.Never again.We'll need an overnight to get that far North.Didn't realise Scotland was that big.Brian.

Scotland has roughly a third of the land mass of the U.K. but a population of just over 5 million, less than London.

We have lots of space up here and some beautiful scenery, occasionally dodgy weather and midges aside it’s a really nice place to visit. It amazes me how many people in the rest of the U.K. have never been.

I spoke to one young man last week who was a bit lost off the boat (got him sorted) and he had been amazed by the extent of the wide open spaces on his train journey. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I am in awe. It is only basic logic though not thinking. I asked a friend!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brian1 said:

We broke the journey up on the way up. But just shared driving coming back. Wasn't as bad as we expected

• Like 3

8 hours ago, brian1 said:

I agree Harry,Alexa does listen in on all that is around without being "summoned".Quite feasable with everyone in that office speaking Bengali,she has mastered the language with just a few prompts to go on.Shame she can't cook a decent Madras

AI will be able to prep and cook any  meal better than any human once given the tools and the ingredients

It won't be long before it's happening as well

Hello fellow insomniacs - been awake since 2 and getting bored!

I genuinely find Alexa spooky, having encountered her in a short respite spell in a care home recently.  I know I am somewhat averse to modern technology - appreciate emailing because the person does not need to be there, and has time to think out a reply; also ordering online and learning stuff from websites, and of course making contact with the good people of CC.  But there is so much now that seems possibly or positively sinister, especially spying which seems like it is being done by some big countries, and it seems like it is more and more difficult to spot and police.  Or am I being paranoid?

No reply from Alexa required.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Scotland has roughly a third of the land mass of the U.K. but a population of just over 5 million, less than London.

We have lots of space up here and some beautiful scenery, occasionally dodgy weather and midges aside it’s a really nice place to visit. It amazes me how many people in the rest of the U.K. have never been.

I spoke to one young man last week who was a bit lost off the boat (got him sorted) and he had been amazed by the extent of the wide open spaces on his train journey. 

I worked in Dundee for 7 weeks back in 1997.That was about 500 miles from us.A long drive with just me driving.Harry was talking about dialects and accents a while back.Dundee is on a different level with the words they use,lol.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Appears that the claim is not as the 60 Minutes program portrayed.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pranavdixit/google-60-minutes-ai-claims-challenged

• Like 1

Good morning everyone.  I lovely sunny day here but only 3° yet.  I have already walked to the oatcake shop because DH said last night that it was 4 weeks since we last had oatcakes for breakfast because cruise ships don't have them on the breakfast menu so I thought that I would go for a walk to get some.  The only problem is that the house now smells of bacon and eggs but I don't want to have the windows open and let the warmth out.

Tonight is our first ladies bowling match of the season so I am praying for a sudden heatwave this evening.

Have a great day whatever you have planned today.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hello fellow insomniacs - been awake since 2 and getting bored!

I genuinely find Alexa spooky, having encountered her in a short respite spell in a care home recently.  I know I am somewhat averse to modern technology - appreciate emailing because the person does not need to be there, and has time to think out a reply; also ordering online and learning stuff from websites, and of course making contact with the good people of CC.  But there is so much now that seems possibly or positively sinister, especially spying which seems like it is being done by some big countries, and it seems like it is more and more difficult to spot and police.  Or am I being paranoid?

No reply from Alexa required.

And to think we all laughed at Robbie The Robot -  entertaining but unbelievable🤖

Avril

• Like 2

Q

7 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

AI will be able to prep and cook any  meal better than any human once given the tools and the ingredients

It won't be long before it's happening as well

If the AI starts singing "Daisy Bell" while doing the cooking, don't eat the meal !

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Hi @Harry Peterson,talking to our friends from Sibsey about your video of that farmer.He said his dad and his mates speak like that when all together in the pub.He even has trouble understanding them.

It's the same with the strong original Barnsley dialect. There was a column in the Barnsley Chronicle, 'Owd Ned' irc, and was a snippet of  gossip but written in the old dialect. To me it was gobbledygook, but Frank's dad understood every word.

Sis

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Appears that the claim is not as the 60 Minutes program portrayed.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/pranavdixit/google-60-minutes-ai-claims-challenged

Reassuring, perhaps? Possibly then just one more chunk of internet misinformation. Trouble is, there’s so much of it now that it’s impossible to distinguish between fact and fiction. Particularly in the light of yesterday’s vast damages award against Murdoch’s Fox News for deliberate and damaging disinformation.

Precisely why we’re so lucky to have an independent BBC, which actually fact checks news before it goes out.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's the same with the strong original Barnsley dialect. There was a column in the Barnsley Chronicle, 'Owd Ned' irc, and was a snippet of  gossip but written in the old dialect. To me it was gobbledygook, but Frank's dad understood every word.

Sis

Charlie Williams? Certainly not Parkinson!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Reassuring, perhaps? Possibly then just one more chunk of internet misinformation. Trouble is, there’s so much of it now that it’s impossible to distinguish between fact and fiction. Particularly in the light of yesterday’s vast damages award against Murdoch’s Fox News for deliberate and damaging disinformation.

Precisely why we’re so lucky to have an independent BBC, which actually fact checks news before it goes out.

I may disagree with the word independent to describe BBC, especially when those at the top of the organisation are usually govt appointees, but no matter. Where I think they have problems with bias / non bias is that they sometimes seem to give too much emphasis to minority views in the interest of providing balance, especially in areas where political parties are in general agreement. Talking heads with an agenda to promote their minority point of view (usually from pressure groups) are not necessarily fact checked, especially if broadcast live. Of course, issues of morality or ethics often cannot rely on fact as they are only opinion, usually supported by some evidence which some may wish to debate.

• Like 3

Turning out to be a nice day set to hit the dizzy heights of 13-14.c.

Yesterday we bit the bullet and cut the grass and lawns as the weather was good.

I commented to the Mrs next door was out and said they will cut there grass once

they see ours. Sure enough no sooner back and he cut his as well,.

I noted he looked a bit sad  "So I asked if he was ok?"

He was ,he said he was just going through a rough patch 🥴😉

Today we will sit out and watch the birds collecting some of the grass cuttings for

their nests.

Medical wise all my recent hozzie tests are coming back as good/ok, so I'm happy 

with my lot. 

Hope you all have a great day .Take care :classic_love:

• Like 21