P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Goodnight.  Just off to see if I can get some sleep.  I feel really wide awake, in fact better than when I wake up after sleep.  I did notice a couple of others on here in the middle of the night, having the same trouble.

Even on a bad night I usually manage a few hours, but last night... absolutely nothing!!!

So frustrating Indiana. I hope you don't read this because you are actually asleep now. As a sometime sufferer myself you have every sympathy from me. Jane xx

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

@indiana123Sorry that you are stiil not sleeping well.  This warm weather doesn't help.

i managed over 5 hours last night, probably as a result of having a Lemsip before going to bed in the vain hope of getting rid of this horrible summer cold.

Wish you better soon Josy. Jane xx

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We are on Iona to the Fjords next Saturday. We went there on Britannia in 2019 and had a lovely cruise. We were on Iona in Feb/March to Spain and the Canaries and she was great so very excited about this combination. 

I shall be interested to hear about how you find Iona as I have booked a fjord cruise on her next June. X

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Beckett said:

So frustrating Indiana. I hope you don't read this because you are actually asleep now. As a sometime sufferer myself you have every sympathy from me. Jane xx

Pauline says I could sleep on a clothes line.🤣.

18°C and sunny here at the moment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

I shall be interested to hear about how you find Iona as I have booked a fjord cruise on her next June. X

There is a 1000 metres+ outside promenade deck to walk around on Deck 8 which covers the full circumference of Iona and lots of sunbeds and seats on all open decks Gill.

Deck 8 balconies are the only negative because of the lack of privacy from the promenade deck.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

There is a 1000 metres+ outside promenade deck to walk around on Deck 8 which covers the full circumference of Iona and lots of sunbeds and seats on all open decks Gill.

Deck 8 balconies are the only negative because of the lack of privacy from the promenade deck.

I’m on deck 12 in a balcony towards the forward end. Should be able to keep fit with walking from one end of the ship to the other!

Edited by Angel57
Spelling
  • Like 7

57 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My DH could, too, Graham.  Quite a nice morning here too at present.

I think my sleep has improved quite a bit (more like 6 or even 7 hours most nights) since I was put on beta blockers for a slightly irregular heartbeat.  I have heard that they do as a side effect tend to make you less anxious and stressed; maybe it is that.  However, not to be recommended if you don't need them medically, I guess.  I am in a stressful situation at present, for the past 3 months, which will be resolved one way or the other fairly soon, and seem to be coping better with it.

• Like 6

Good Morning All

19 degrees and sunny here today too. I've been watching so much tennis I've hardly noticed the weather this last week - I must look like I've  been in hibernation.

Some good news to share with you all today: my eldest granddaughter, at 17, passed her driving test this morning. I'm a very proud nan!

Have a good day everyone.  Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Some good news to share with you all today: my eldest granddaughter, at 17, passed her driving test this morning. I'm a very proud nan!

Well done granny, I got 8 out of 10 on my driving test, not sure how 2 managed to jump out of the way.

Cloudy start here but has warmed up nicely so a sit out and read day is forecast.

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

19 degrees and sunny here today too. I've been watching so much tennis I've hardly noticed the weather this last week - I must look like I've  been in hibernation.

Congratulations to your granddaughter.

It's been raining heavily down here this morning, at present the sun's trying to get out, but it is still windy. We seem to have had a lot of windy days recently and heavy rain is forecast again for this afternoon.

I'm not doing much these days as still struggling with tiredness,I've got just over ten weeks to get back to fighting fit for my cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

It certainly improved life for all those fishermen back in the day when it was a little fishing village though…….

And it inspired the Alexei Sale big hit,"Hey John, got a new motor".

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

And it inspired the Alexei Sale big hit,"Hey John, got a new motor".

You know Brian that there will be some youngsters on here who haven't got a clue what you're talking about. Sadly, I do! Jane xx

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

My DH could, too, Graham.  Quite a nice morning here too at present.

I think my sleep has improved quite a bit (more like 6 or even 7 hours most nights) since I was put on beta blockers for a slightly irregular heartbeat.  I have heard that they do as a side effect tend to make you less anxious and stressed; maybe it is that.  However, not to be recommended if you don't need them medically, I guess.  I am in a stressful situation at present, for the past 3 months, which will be resolved one way or the other fairly soon, and seem to be coping better with it.

I was put on a Beta blocker after my heart attack over 3 and a half years ago.

They are excellent for reducing stress and heart rate.

I hope your stressful situation is solved quickly to your satisfaction.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

That's impressive, Jane.  Not that common at 17 these days I suspect.  Well done that young woman!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Congratulations to your granddaughter.

It's been raining heavily down here this morning, at present the sun's trying to get out, but it is still windy. We seem to have had a lot of windy days recently and heavy rain is forecast again for this afternoon.

I'm not doing much these days as still struggling with tiredness,I've got just over ten weeks to get back to fighting fit for my cruise. 

We are driving down from North Devon. Rain All the way. We just stopped at Costa. The sun has come out and we had 8 beans. Result.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's impressive, Jane.  Not that common at 17 these days I suspect.  Well done that young woman!

Very common around here as they can’t wait to drive. They book their theory for the week after their 17th and then book a test straight away. Of course the pandemic affected the waiting lists, but it’s back to normal now. The school car park is full of cars belonging to the upper sixth! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

You sound like my husband.  We were on on cruise when we went though a hurricane, the captain said that we had force 12 winds.  I had no sleep but the next morning when I told him how bad it had been he didn't believe me until he saw that the balcony furniture had all been thrown around.

It was sunny here earlier but we have just had heavy rain and it is now very grey.

• Like 4

Just now, Ardennais said:

Very common around here as they can’t wait to drive. They book their theory for the week after their 17th and then book a test straight away. Of course the pandemic affected the waiting lists, but it’s back to normal now. The school car park is full of card belonging to the upper sixth! 

Same here but that is probably because the bus service is awful, where our house is we have no bus service at all, it was discontinued about 14 or 15 years ago.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I will report back in due course. I just hope the weather is better than we are currently having in Bolton. I think the temperatures should be fine, just don’t want to getting drenched every time we go ashore. 

Iona was very good when we sailed on her in March, so we are expecting the same next week (getting excited now).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

I’m on deck 12 in a balcony towards the forward end. Should be able to keep fit with walking from one end of the ship to the other!

We are in 12426, we were in 12430 last time but I decided to upgrade a bit for Ian’s 70th birthday on Sunday (well is a good excuse).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Same here but that is probably because the bus service is awful, where our house is we have no bus service at all, it was discontinued about 14 or 15 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Very common around here as they can’t wait to drive. They book their theory for the week after their 17th and then book a test straight away. Of course the pandemic affected the waiting lists, but it’s back to normal now. The school car park is full of cars belonging to the upper sixth! 

I’m out of touch!  I thought there were still long delays in getting the theory and practical tests. And the money?

Our daughter failed her first test at 17 and we dropped it after that because of the potential impact on A levels.  Our son sailed through a few weeks after his 17th birthday, but then didn’t drive again - or need to - for close on 20 years! That was a baptism of fire, because you couldn’t get any refresher lessons at that point because of Covid.

I was about 20 before I could afford lessons. Just 12, in Birmingham when I was a student, and failure wasn’t an option. No more money!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m out of touch!  I thought there were still long delays in getting the theory and practical tests. And the money?

I believe that there are long delays here too but money doesn't seem to be an issue for the youngsters that we know, bank of mum and dad seems to be the answer.

• Like 2