P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Out of interest had a look and we were 2008! Just before our first cruise on Ocean Village 2. We didn't venture on to the PO board though as it frightened me to death.The arguments about the dress code got quite ..err... heated and were the stuff of legend with the OV board members. It did feel a bit stuffy and rather posh over here. What happened ?????? 😉

Attrition will have reduced the numbers of hard core traditionalists, and increased the numbers of those who are more tolerant.

• Haha 5

Thanks for your kind comments and putting up with me.

We decided to have a run out and a meal. 

Anyone who  does not like carvery/buffet  or bowling greens in the rain should  look away  now 🙃

20230813_114737.thumb.jpg.0d5da985f6b92d1d9ec212422f6224eb.jpg20230813_114633.thumb.jpg.84e5f65129ce064c79aacfe3c1d4031d.jpg20230813_114807.thumb.jpg.6ed16cf205873fed60f6598f7e55288d.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

It looks as if you are in the Scilly Isles, the Op was referring to Sicily, Italy.

We are on the same cruise as you next month.how is it?

That’s very true!

We boarded on Friday, our first Saga cruise, so early days for us. For anyone who is used to P&O there are similarities, but there are differences too. 

At this point, I wouldn’t like to say that I prefer Saga, but I’ll see how I feel this time next week 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Attrition will have reduced the numbers of hard core traditionalists, and increased the numbers of those who are more tolerant.

John you have been around long enough to remember Derek the Monocled mutineer. Slightly right of Genius Khan.

Jean will probably remember him too.

The was one extremely hard core traditionalist! One among many back on the day. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

It looks as if you are in the Scilly Isles, the Op was referring to Sicily, Italy.

We are on the same cruise as you next month.how is it?

Cheers,she must feel scilly now.I was just about to Google it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

20°C and sunny here.

We had a lovely church service this morning and a nice Gregg's steak slice and coffee at the beach.

16919251475714124011370551493066.jpg

Maccydees are gonna make you an offer you can't refuse soon Graham.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Out of interest had a look and we were 2008! Just before our first cruise on Ocean Village 2. We didn't venture on to the PO board though as it frightened me to death.The arguments about the dress code got quite ..err... heated and were the stuff of legend with the OV board members. It did feel a bit stuffy and rather posh over here. What happened ?????? 😉

Everyone mellowed during and after you know what and realised we're all just human.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

John you have been around long enough to remember Derek the Monocled mutineer. Slightly right of Genius Khan.

I remember him.  Did post some interesting and useful stuff about cruises as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That’s very true!

We boarded on Friday, our first Saga cruise, so early days for us. For anyone who is used to P&O there are similarities, but there are differences too. 

At this point, I wouldn’t like to say that I prefer Saga, but I’ll see how I feel this time next week 

Like you this will our first cruise for 4 years and our first with Saga, most of our previous cruises have been with Azamara and the smaller Celebrity ships.

Not like!y to cruise on any of the new mega ships with any line, be interested to hear your thoughts on Saga after your cruise.

Ours is not quite the same has yours, round trip Dover calling in Southern Ireland, the Scillys and Northern France.

Just a short one to test the water with Saga.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Went there a couple of years ago.  Wonderful place.  I spent a couple of days in the Scillys and thought they were a hidden gem.  On the list for going back.

We’ve had 3 stays there staying on St Martins. A really beautiful place with white sandy beaches and very easy to get boat trips to all the islands. Wonderful if you are lucky with the weather! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kalos said:

Glad to see your enjoying your cruise Phil. before taking up cruising we used Brittany Ferries

and used to go to Rouen for the New year staying overnight and celebrate the New year 

sailing back down the river ,just in time to hit UK waters /time and do it all again .

Two New years in one year made for one hell of a hangover !

Hope you enjoy your remainder of your cruise .

Just glanced at my Avatar and see I joined CC today in 2011, twelve years ago !

Time just flies by .. Have a great day everyone !🙂

Your post prompted me to look at my Avatar and I found that I joined shortly before you in May 2011.  We did our first cruise in 1984 on Carnival out of Miami to the Caribbean and our first P&O cruise was in 1992 on Canberra to Spain Portugal and the Canaries.

I have to agree time does fly by I can't believe that it is 39 years since we started cruising.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I remember him, wasn’t that on the old board. Some names on here now seem familiar so they probably used to post back then.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lindyloo22 said:

I remember him, wasn’t that on the old board. Some names on here now seem familiar so they probably used to post back then.

Yes it was on the old board.

Some really interesting people simply disappeared over the years. Sad to say some of us will do the same in years to come, that’s the way of the world.

• Like 5

Looking out this morning there's a lot of debris, so must have had some pretty strong wind and rain during the night. Still breezy but seems to be clearing up, a bit.

Nothing exciting planned for today, except to take a walk down to the shops, so hopefully won't get wet.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are in Portsmouth today, lovely sunny start, we got the shuttle to Southsea and waked along the front and now in Costa at the gunwharfe outlet. We have a sea day tomorrow before invergodon.

I so hope the weather is kind to you in Scotland - the forecast doesn’t look too bad (might even get to over 20 degrees).  If not, there’s lots of whisky in that area to warm you up!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ilovemygarden said:

I so hope the weather is kind to you in Scotland - the forecast doesn’t look too bad (might even get to over 20 degrees).  If not, there’s lots of whisky in that area to warm you up!   

Thanks, scrabster and portree don t look too bad not sure about Mull but as you say there is a good distillery there.

5 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Also the very tasty Tobermory Gin is made there too!  😀

Was in Tobermory this time last year.  On of the guys did the distillery tour.  He paid an extra £15 to get the one to one private tour.  It was easy to see that he had a very good time! 

A damp morning here, drizzly rain for the last couple of hours around 16C due to brighten up later.

I think I am finally winning the battle against the heavy cold & cough I have had since Thursday, got a reasonable amount of sleep last night and feel much better this morning. 

Freezer engineer due later today to install a part, the freezer temperature has been fluctuating between -18c and - 11c, the alarm going off in the night when it it hits -11C. We have cover for the freezer, so won’t be forking out the £130 plus Labour & call-out charge. This is 3rd fix we have had in last 3 years, but insurance company won’t replace unless parts unavailable, but given that they have spent almost £500 on replacement parts & Labour in the last 5 years, before today, you would have thought its not economical to repair again. The freezer originally cost £400, a new equivalent model is £420, the engineer on original call-out said in his opinion it wasn’t worth fixing even though part is available, but he doesn’t make the decision on whether to replace, that’s the insurance company decision. We did argue the decision with them, but they would shift.