P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I woke at midnight feeling quite odd - pretty sure it was heat.  Got up and lugged a heavy fan into the bedroom, and drank a mugful of cold water, and eventually went off to sleep again.  Not a nice feeling, bumping heart and utter lack of energy.  I am old enough to know better re closing all windows, blinds and curtains in the bedroom, and keeping the fan in there!  Won't be so silly again.

I hope it will be a bit cooler and more comfortable for us all starting soon.  Then we will be complaining about something else.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Cooler here today and there is a severe weather warning for this afternoon for thunder storms. 

Been looking for a holiday in January for some winter sunshine and it’s the same old same old. There are very few flights out of Scotland (I’m not that keen on flying anyway) and the U.K. departing cruises are all doing the same things to ports we have been to dozens of times before.

I guess you get to an age where you have been there and done that.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I woke at midnight feeling quite odd - pretty sure it was heat.  Got up and lugged a heavy fan into the bedroom, and drank a mugful of cold water, and eventually went off to sleep again.  Not a nice feeling, bumping heart and utter lack of energy.  I am old enough to know better re closing all windows, blinds and curtains in the bedroom, and keeping the fan in there!  Won't be so silly again.

I hope it will be a bit cooler and more comfortable for us all starting soon.  Then we will be complaining about something else.  

Sounds like dehydration, hopefully a one off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Morning all we had a very long day yesterday and it was hot , we were on a coach then a boat ride then and train ride and back on a coach all in all a 10 1/2 trip to visit the five small villages that hug the coast and at the end some pictures of the marble mountains.

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4101.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg

IMG_4117.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg

IMG_4129.jpeg

IMG_4130.jpeg

IMG_4131.jpeg

IMG_4138.jpeg

IMG_4142.jpeg

IMG_4147.jpeg

IMG_4149.jpeg

IMG_4152.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

IMG_4161.jpeg

IMG_4162.jpeg

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4170.jpeg

IMG_4172.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

IMG_4176.jpeg

Looking good Purdey.Cinque terre is 600 miles North of us and it looks as hot as here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Sounds like you were dehydrated with the heat.

Please take care.

The humidity was uncomfortable last night and opening the windows didn't help much.

It is a little cooler today with thunderstorms forecast for later so hopefully a fresher night tonight.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Cooler here today and there is a severe weather warning for this afternoon for thunder storms. 

Been looking for a holiday in January for some winter sunshine and it’s the same old same old. There are very few flights out of Scotland (I’m not that keen on flying anyway) and the U.K. departing cruises are all doing the same things to ports we have been to dozens of times before.

I guess you get to an age where you have been there and done that.

I had a leaflet in the post yesterday from Fred Olsen with some good deals including drinks for 2024 but maybe your last experience with them has had you strike them off your list!   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

I had a leaflet in the post yesterday from Fred Olsen with some good deals including drinks for 2024 but maybe your last experience with them has had you strike them off your list!   

Fred is not for us. The only cruise we did on Balmoral was lke a nursing home at sea, and I am 77.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Fred is not for us. The only cruise we did on Balmoral was lke a nursing home at sea, and I am 77.

How long ago was that? The average age is still high but not any worse than P&O in the off season. We were on Iona this January and there were more “strollers” than on Fred.

• Like 2

I was talking to my sister this afternoon about her Iona cruise and she told me that if they had not pre-booked the speciality restaurants they would have got in to them by booking on board. 

We have not been on P&O since February 2020 and then we had no problems  booking on board. 

Does anyone know if we will need to pre-book Sindhu and The Beach House for our Ventura cruise later this year ?

40 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I was talking to my sister this afternoon about her Iona cruise and she told me that if they had not pre-booked the speciality restaurants they would have got in to them by booking on board. 

We have not been on P&O since February 2020 and then we had no problems  booking on board. 

Does anyone know if we will need to pre-book Sindhu and The Beach House for our Ventura cruise later this year ?

If you know which days you would like to dine then I would book as soon as possible, if things change you can always cancel the bookings. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Yes you need to pre-book.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good evening.

We had a thunderstorm lasting 30 minutes around 6pm and it is still raining.

It is 62°F and a much better temperature in the house after several humid night's.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Ditto here. Beautiful sunshine earlier in the day and now thunder, lightening and heavy rain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

How long ago was that? The average age is still high but not any worse than P&O in the off season. We were on Iona this January and there were more “strollers” than on Fred.

About ten years ago. There were many people with mobility issues, some alone who should not have been on the shI. A controversial statement but when you see people struggling with two sticks and falling over, it's very worrying.

I was also on Iona in January and didn't see anything to give me concern.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

About ten years ago. There were many people with mobility issues, some alone who should not have been on the shI. A controversial statement but when you see people struggling with two sticks and falling over, it's very worrying.

I was also on Iona in January and didn't see anything to give me concern.

Well you would be fine with Fred then as there were more people with mobility issues on Iona (and many, many more queues for the lifts) when we were on Iona in January this year than on our Artic cruise on Fred in March.

Things change in 10 years. Yes Fred does still attract a lot of older cruisers but a nursing home at sea is not an accurate description unless it also applies to Iona out of season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well you would be fine with Fred then as there were more people with mobility issues on Iona (and many, many more queues for the lifts) when we were on Iona in January this year than on our Artic cruise on Fred in March.

Things change in 10 years. Yes Fred does still attract a lot of older cruisers but a nursing home at sea is not an accurate description unless it also applies to Iona out of season.

I am not arguing, but our opinions differ.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It has been a decent day here, warm with some cloud and a few spots of rain, until about 10 minutes ago when a storm passed over, glad I didn't water the garden.

We have had a little rain but it hardly wet the roads or pavement, I wish we could have some thundery rain, it is still far too hot and sticky.

• Like 2

Another wakeful night - but not overhot this time, just got something important on my mind.

I don't know if any of you have seen an 8 page ad in the Sunday papers colour section (well maybe only in the Times) about all the wonderful things you can do on and from a P and O ship. It does all sound too good to be true and the ad must have cost a fortune.  I fear it may be  overselling the wonders of P and O, if some of people 's recent  reports are anything to go by.  (That is not what is on my mind, by the way).

• Like 4