P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Me too Avril, and what a good idea 👍.  Marzipan is something I always make from scratch with just a bit of brandy added.  As a near non-drinker my Christmas cakes get a good slug of brandy one way or another 😁

I make my own marzipan too, but add a little Disaronno. My christmas cake also benefits from a good feeding of it too. 😋

Avril

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Less windy today, but raining. Put the heating on 17 this morning for the first time as it’s starting to damp. The mincemeat is cooking in the slow cooker ended up using the veg suet, found some extra in the cupboard to make up the weight as the well known brand at the extortionate price I picked up is less that 1/2lb now. The cake is cooking in the oven hopefully it’ll be to Siegfried Farnham's liking! Have added walnuts as well as almonds to Delia’s recipe and pecans to the mincemeat, love nuts which is why I make my own shop bought don’t seem to contain them and I’m always disappointed. 

The house always smells gorgeous at this time of year with all the pre-christmas baking  going on. As well as nuts I put washed, halved glace cherries in my mincemeat too. I leave out the candid peel and add extra fruit and nuts.  I end up with a chunky mincemeat that we all love.That's the beauty of making your own.

Avril

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Marzipan is a favourite of mine too Avril.

Have you tried Niederegger dark chocolate coated marzipan chocolates Graham? They are amazing. I buy a 750g box as a treat for us over Christmas. They're expensive. but well worth every penny, and after all, it is only once a year.☺️

Avril

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Have you tried Niederegger dark chocolate coated marzipan chocolates Graham? They are amazing. I buy a 750g box as a treat for us over Christmas. They're expensive. but well worth every penny, and after all, it is only once a year.☺️

Avril

Yes thanks Avril I regularly eat their bars.

When I sold Anthon Berg Danish chocolate their marzipan Lifli range was a favourite of mine.

Screenshot_20231018_122317.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I also put a piece of marzipan in some of the mince pies too for the marzipan addicts.

Namely me😋

Avril

What be this evil substance's you talk of ? Marzipan,glace cherries and candied peel😲

Never been a fan of icing sugar either. Ironic thing is I have to avoid sugary things for medical reasons these days 😒

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone.  A lovely  autumn morning here.  I went out for my first walk since Saturday.  I am clear of covid and it's unpleasant side effects 

I found that the current version affected me far worse than the previous version, my walk today was only just over 1.5 miles but I am scattered. 

Glad your feeling better , must admit I felt all over the place as well.

Joking apart ,take it easy , my o2 levels were low for well over a week .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had never heard of Niederegger before - just looked them up and my delivery supermarket sells them!  Thank you Avril for the information - very dark chocolate and marzipan are two of my favourite things, and will order maybe bars (cheapest per 100 grams) and hope they have them in.  Just what I need, for the soul, though sadly not the body.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Lidl do a great range of marzipan chocolate  at Xmas! 

I will have to pay a visit to Lidl, I love marzipan regardless of whether it is chocolate covered or not.

Anton Berg is particularly good DH sometimes buys some for me.  When I was ill in hospital DH brought me a box of Anton Berg bars  which the nurses were delighted to help me eat.

I don't normally go to Lidl so I will have to look for the bags of little gingerbread at the same time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

We visited their shop and tea room in Lubeck earlier in the year. What an amazing place. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I will have to pay a visit to Lidl, I love marzipan regardless of whether it is chocolate covered or not.

Anton Berg is particularly good DH sometimes buys some for me.  When I was ill in hospital DH brought me a box of Anton Berg bars  which the nurses were delighted to help me eat.

I don't normally go to Lidl so I will have to look for the bags of little gingerbread at the same time.

I can certainly agree with the Lidl recommendation for Christmassy foodstuffs. Wide range, excellent quality, low prices. Every bit as good as anywhere else’s and almost certainly from the same suppliers to the same or better specifications. Aldi likewise. Well worth a visit.

• Like 3

@Eglesbrech: You and I have in the distant past discussed buying cheese, fish etc online. We’re after some decent haddock, Dover sole and other fish at the moment for the freezer, and our local fish van has lost his way a bit on quality. Do you happen to have any recommendations please? I can offer you in return a recommendation for an excellent frozen fruit supplier, direct from the farm, if you’re interested!

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

@Eglesbrech: You and I have in the distant past discussed buying cheese, fish etc online. We’re after some decent haddock, Dover sole and other fish at the moment for the freezer, and our local fish van has lost his way a bit on quality. Do you happen to have any recommendations please? I can offer you in return a recommendation for an excellent frozen fruit supplier, direct from the farm, if you’re interested!

DR Collin in Eyemouth do online frozen fish sales. I haven’t used them for frozen delivery but have bought their fish and shellfish many times and it’s good quality from the shop at least.

Yes please re the frozen fruit supplier.

• Thanks 1

Well I’m back from a USA/Canada cruise on Sky Princess travelling just ahead of Arcadia on a similar trip. Had a lovely time, gorgeous weather 76 Fahrenheit in Quebec and got back ahead of the storm. Next few cruises are with P&O and looking forward to them. 

QuebecIMG_9476.thumb.jpeg.2c92227c7baf3e5b36a0a185ed0987d9.jpeg

Arcadia in Halifax Nova Scotia

IMG_9320.thumb.jpeg.7f0413f7a4af3fe8337d887fd5fcec5d.jpeg

Sky Princess in Bar Harbor
IMG_9213.thumb.jpeg.f0125f98375a17962a494e5106b4c8a7.jpeg

Queen Mary 2 in Quebec
IMG_9477.thumb.jpeg.c3e78132cbfa7dac81d5c688d9b084af.jpeg

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

DR Collin in Eyemouth do online frozen fish sales. I haven’t used them for frozen delivery but have bought their fish and shellfish many times and it’s good quality from the shop at least.

Yes please re the frozen fruit supplier.

Thanks very much - I’ll have a look.

Uninspiring name for a website:  https://www.frozenfruit.co.uk/our-story/the-farm

But we’ve found them reliably good, with a pretty wide range. Gooseberry and blackcurrant crumbles (separate!) appeared almost as soon as the fruit.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Thanks very much - I’ll have a look.

Uninspiring name for a website:  https://www.frozenfruit.co.uk/our-story/the-farm

But we’ve found them reliably good, with a pretty wide range. Gooseberry and blackcurrant crumbles (separate!) appeared almost as soon as the fruit.

Rick Stein also does frozen fish delivery, but more pricey though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

I had never heard of Niederegger before - just looked them up and my delivery supermarket sells them!  Thank you Avril for the information - very dark chocolate and marzipan are two of my favourite things, and will order maybe bars (cheapest per 100 grams) and hope they have them in.  Just what I need, for the soul, though sadly not the body.

They have them on Amazon too.

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Yes thanks Avril I regularly eat their bars.

When I sold Anthon Berg Danish chocolate their marzipan Lifli range was a favourite of mine.

Screenshot_20231018_122317.jpg

Is that what they call eating away the profits Graham?

• Haha 1