P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Have been out nearly all day so have just been catching up with what's been said.

Congratulations @DamianG on your promotion, I hope it all works well for you.

We had two banks here, Barclays and Lloyds. First Barclays closed and Lloyds were due to close before the pandemic but stayed open until it was over, but has now gone. So now our nearest banks  Camborne, Penzance or St Ives (which is a pain to get parked).

I called in at Asda on my way over to Mum's this morning and what should have been a quick shop turned out to take a lot longer than planned as an ex-collegue saw me and ended up talking for half an hour as I couldn't get away!

Mum has decided to cancel our TA cruise in March as she has decided that 8 hours sitting on the plane will be too much for her. So we then spent over an hour on the phone getting through to P&O. We have now cancelling and booked a Med cruise from Southampton instead.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

We bank with Lloyd's. We also have a Nationwide branch 20 meters away. When we do our questionnaire I point out that if they shut the branch I have a plan B.

My friendly Nigerian, who calls regularly, from over seas, always enquires which Bank I use, I tell him ant and dec, just saying

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

My friendly Nigerian, who calls regularly, from over seas, always enquires which Bank I use, I tell him ant and dec, just saying

Oh I know him too.

We always have a good old chat about everything, especially  as he is researching Amazon and the British Banking System.  I try to help him.   I'm teaching him about credit and debit cards at the moment.  He didn't quite understand the numbering system, so we experiment with my cards.  I hope it is clearer now and he gets on ok 🙃😏  Not.

• Haha 10

I am just eating a small handful of nuts!  As it is a bit early for breakfast.

Not still up - slept 9.30 until 1, awake since.  I am pleasantly surprised at feeling as reasonably intelligent as I used to, considering the lack of sleep. I hope you feel the same.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That's brilliant

Our local Sainsbury's had a coin counting machine, where you could put all the money in, and get a money off shopping voucher at the end.  I used to love the noise it made when I poured the money in.

The machine disappeared in 2020 and never returned, unfortunately. 

I remember that, the machine was very noisy!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

We bank with Lloyd's. We also have a Nationwide branch 20 meters away. When we do our questionnaire I point out that if they shut the branch I have a plan B.

My friend worked for Lloyds all her working life ( and me for most of mine - was TSB first) She told me the other day she’s written a letter of complaint to them . Her Dad is 88 and goes to the next town to do his banking as our nearest one shut last year. He was very upset as he was told very rudely he couldn’t go to her till for what he wanted to do and he had to go to some pod area. He likes to chat to a cashier. They are both planning to change their bank to Nationwide now!

• Like 10

Although on the plus side for Lloyds I was dreading having to go to the town further away to sort out my Dad’s accounts. Luckily most of them were joint accounts with my mum.

I have Power of Attorney on their accounts and that section of the bank has always been very helpful when I phoned them. So I rang them thinking I’d probably have to make an appointment to go down there. 
She did it all on the phone - sent me an email that I replied to and had to upload the death certificate and it was all done! 

I was very impressed, the new cheque book arrived and my dad’s sole accounts were closed and the funds put in my mum’s account within a week or so! 

• Like 11

Morning it's 1.c with a chill of -3 outside ,so gave the heating a boost.

So sat with a nice cuppa reading some of the other threads ,lots of talk about

Chocolate and I read how some like silent disco's on ships.

Can you imagine trying to explain a silent disco to the un informed as it is 

anything but silent . 

Loud speaker music is replaced with half inebriated ,yelping and howling like

a banshee in pain is a fairer description of the disco . The main thing is they enjoy themselves .

Have a good day 

bc2fcc3b993afbfe9a3ad3ee7e759b02.jpg.954827aef05209be2a11453737aa3124.jpg

• Haha 17

My mrs took her brother to Barclays the other day to renew his ISA.While she was there she grabbed a load of coin bags.She went into our Ant & Dec branch yesterday,changed up 76 quids worth of coins at the counter,in and out in 5 minutes.Why is there so much chaos in other banks?

• Like 4

Morning everyone, hope you're all well.

Our coldest temp of the winter so far this year at 5c, but dry which is a bonus and no wind.

Driving up to Exeter today to see Disney on Ice and have booked a meal at a local pub for our return.There are 7 of us going so should be a good day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Pam

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning everyone, hope you're all well.

Our coldest temp of the winter so far this year at 5c, but dry which is a bonus and no wind.

Driving up to Exeter today to see Disney on Ice and have booked a meal at a local pub for our return.There are 7 of us going so should be a good day.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Pam

Have a lovely day out sounds very nice , safe travels.

• Like 4

A really sharp frost here today. Looks like the poor fuschia in the back garden will be hibernating for another year after this. 

Well us Presto2s are off wine tasting today at Whitebridge Wines. Will think of you all and raise a glass or two;-)

Enjoy the sunshine.....if you have some.

And to those of you crusing .. enjoy the day and may the sea be kind 😀

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

A really sharp frost here today. Looks like the poor fuschia in the back garden will be hibernating for another year after this. 

Well us Presto2s are off wine tasting today at Whitebridge Wines. Will think of you all and raise a glass or two;-)

Enjoy the sunshine.....if you have some.

And to those of you crusing .. enjoy the day and may the sea be kind 😀

Enjoy the wine tasting, just a pity we are in the glorious sunshine of Haugesund and not Stoke. We will undoubtedly be with you in spirit.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, pete14 said:

Enjoy the wine tasting, just a pity we are in the glorious sunshine of Haugesund and not Stoke. We will undoubtedly be with you in spirit.

We may find a nice red....... or two. Sadly Mr Presto2 is driving so think of him. 😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

My financial advisor is a Nigerian Prince. He's very good. Just gets on with it and doesn't pester you all the time. In fact I haven't heard from him for ages.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

My mrs took her brother to Barclays the other day to renew his ISA.While she was there she grabbed a load of coin bags.She went into our Ant & Dec branch yesterday,changed up 76 quids worth of coins at the counter,in and out in 5 minutes.Why is there so much chaos in other banks?

They have very clever analysts. If you shut half the desks, at lunch time folk have no choice but to use the machines. See, didn't need them after all. We have a Lloyd's and a Halifax within 50 meters of each other. Both big buildings, both closing the number of counters, both with folk in posh suits directing you to the machines. Nincompoop Zap thinks, why not combine the 2. Half the counters could be Lloyd's and the other half Halifax. Room for both brands machines....but what do I know.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My friend worked for Lloyds all her working life ( and me for most of mine - was TSB first) She told me the other day she’s written a letter of complaint to them . Her Dad is 88 and goes to the next town to do his banking as our nearest one shut last year. He was very upset as he was told very rudely he couldn’t go to her till for what he wanted to do and he had to go to some pod area. He likes to chat to a cashier. They are both planning to change their bank to Nationwide now!

When it's time to pay the credit card bills DW goes to the machine to get the cash out and print a mini statement and I go to the counter to pay the bill with a cheque. At the counter was the chap who has been there for years and always welcomes me by name and a shiney,smiley new bloke....can I help you sir ?. can I pay this please....sorry sir, you can't pay somebody else's credit card bill. Regulation 713.01 of the financial servic......the regular chap leant across...just process Zaps transaction....by then I was joined at the counter...Good afternoon Mrs Zap. The personal touch is worth something.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Good afternoon Mrs Zap. The personal touch is worth something.

Everything in my book fully agree. Pity everything seems to be going that way ,as you have pointed out ,the supermarkets would you like to scan your trolley load of shopping ..? Err no thanks !

Going on holiday  never fear an app is near !!  Our ticket is on your phone as is your hotel details. 

Print your own luggage labels and take them to that machine that weighs scans and takes your luggage . Now onto the passport scan that and your phone if you have no ticket and have a nice holiday .Should you need us give us a text and if your planes delayed we will text you .

We hope you have a nice holiday . Who the hell is we as we aint seen anyone 😒

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

They have very clever analysts. If you shut half the desks, at lunch time folk have no choice but to use the machines. See, didn't need them after all. We have a Lloyd's and a Halifax within 50 meters of each other. Both big buildings, both closing the number of counters, both with folk in posh suits directing you to the machines. Nincompoop Zap thinks, why not combine the 2. Half the counters could be Lloyd's and the other half Halifax. Room for both brands machines....but what do I know.

Now that's great idea, but why not go the whole hog, and just have one, big, high street branch handling all the banks' business's. In this age of computers and high speed internet it should be easy to have one terminal feeding data to each bank's system, just as long as you dont use P&O's IT dept ro write the programme.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kalos said:

For anyone thinking  going shopping this weekend  ...

FB_IMG_1700913537420.jpg.36b4593834fa5805d1eb6170a7a8d8e5.jpg

Cut out the middle man and use the farmers market. Posh sausages £5.99 a pound , 2 for 12 quid. Mediocre fillet. £38 a kilo. We have a pre Christmas French Market. Stuff about double the price of the same brand in the supermarket.

• Haha 5