P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I have found recent forecasting pretty accurate - it is the weather that can't make its mind up nowadays.

Graham, I think you have hit the sweet spot with your cruising.  Reading the comparisons with Fred, you get the best of both worlds for less cost.  A comparatively less expensive  overall cruise, but with excellent dinners each night.

• Like 1

Good morning?

Well we got up this morning and looked out of the lounge windows to the tiny garden pond... just to check that neither the pesky foxes nor the psychopathic kitties had tried to rearrange the heron net protecting our fish... (they hadn't)... We couldn't help wondering just what was hanging from the squirrel-proof bird-feeder by the pond.... it was long, straight, a dark yellow brown and one end was distinctly blunt and rounded... and it was about 6" long. (15.2 cm for the young-uns)

Clearly investigation required... but then, before our very eyes, it moved... this enigma was a living thing! And then it dropped, went through the heron net... and vanished into the wilderness vegetation (that's the tough perineal weeds that we can't get rid of!) by the edge of the pond... was it a worm, was it a grass-snake... an especially thick and unpalatable noodle from a discarded Chinese take-away dropped by a disappointed carron crow this morning?

No! One thing and one thing only... (if we ruled out mirages, hallucination or too much red wine last night)... we had a mature slow-worm that had followed the mouse trail though the vegetation and the dense ivy inside our double-sided fence to then slither along the bracket and down to the bird nuts! 

Clearly the little "ungrat" wasn't content with the rewilding of that corner of the garden including the pebble-bed designed especially for little froggies and occasional baby toadies to hid from the marauding, monster mousers, the fern-bed that is a little larder for the same said froggies and the moist shade that we created by the odd bespoke fencing thingy.

So from "Gob-smacked-Couple-Surrey" this morning... 11˚C, cloudy and grey with a threat of just a little rain.

Hope all are well and also find something to surprise and excite today.

• Like 15

12c and cloudy here but at least it isn’t raining, for now.

We’re taking my MIL to Stoke (Tunstall) today to buy a rollator. Her mobility has deteriorated a lot in the last year and after starting to use a stick last year she has reached the stage where she needs the stability of a rollator, much to her disgust as she has always prided her mobility compared to others of similar age. She is 90 next month.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

12c and cloudy here but at least it isn’t raining, for now.

We’re taking my MIL to Stoke (Tunstall) today to buy a rollator. Her mobility has deteriorated a lot in the last year and after starting to use a stick last year she has reached the stage where she needs the stability of a rollator, much to her disgust as she has always prided her mobility compared to others of similar age. She is 90 next month.

I hope you manage to get something suitable. Sadly, Tunstall is a bit of a ghost town nowadays but at least you should be able to find somewhere to park. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brian1 said:

12.30 today,everyone has taken a leaf out your book Graham.IMG_20240407_1230472792288.thumb.jpg.78cc4e058d38935f2504c7ffbb1ff550.jpg

Before my heart attack I would be in the gym every day when cruising.

8°C and partly sunny here.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Good morning?

Well we got up this morning and looked out of the lounge windows to the tiny garden pond... just to check that neither the pesky foxes nor the psychopathic kitties had tried to rearrange the heron net protecting our fish... (they hadn't)... We couldn't help wondering just what was hanging from the squirrel-proof bird-feeder by the pond.... it was long, straight, a dark yellow brown and one end was distinctly blunt and rounded... and it was about 6" long. (15.2 cm for the young-uns)

Clearly investigation required... but then, before our very eyes, it moved... this enigma was a living thing! And then it dropped, went through the heron net... and vanished into the wilderness vegetation (that's the tough perineal weeds that we can't get rid of!) by the edge of the pond... was it a worm, was it a grass-snake... an especially thick and unpalatable noodle from a discarded Chinese take-away dropped by a disappointed carron crow this morning?

No! One thing and one thing only... (if we ruled out mirages, hallucination or too much red wine last night)... we had a mature slow-worm that had followed the mouse trail though the vegetation and the dense ivy inside our double-sided fence to then slither along the bracket and down to the bird nuts! 

Clearly the little "ungrat" wasn't content with the rewilding of that corner of the garden including the pebble-bed designed especially for little froggies and occasional baby toadies to hid from the marauding, monster mousers, the fern-bed that is a little larder for the same said froggies and the moist shade that we created by the odd bespoke fencing thingy.

So from "Gob-smacked-Couple-Surrey" this morning... 11˚C, cloudy and grey with a threat of just a little rain.

Hope all are well and also find something to surprise and excite today.

Thank you ttL. Another amusing anecdote to read with my morning coffee. I love them.😊

Avril

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I hope you manage to get something suitable. Sadly, Tunstall is a bit of a ghost town nowadays but at least you should be able to find somewhere to park. 

The shop is on Tunstall Trade Park so we can park right outside. MIL is only 4ft 10in so it’s important that the rollator is comfortable for her height, so she needs to try before she buys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Was about to say the same thing. Very sad to see Tunstall like this .... am now at the age where I am saying "When I was young....". Hope you get what you need. If all else fails there is an excellent Able World bottom of Lichfield Street Hanley way.

50 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The shop is on Tunstall Trade Park so we can park right outside. MIL is only 4ft 10in so it’s important that the rollator is comfortable for her height, so she needs to try before she buys.

Where is that? The huge units bottom end towards Longport?

Ps all the best people are small ... 😀

• Like 2

Goo Morning Everyone

I hope you're all good and well. Lovely day here today - very bright and mild. I hope it's like this for you tomorrow @brian1.

Medical update from Smurf HQ: Saw GP this morning and aside from what we already knew ( (arthritis, opsteoporosis in spine), it turns out I have a large, but non- cancerous, tumour across Lumbar Spine L1 and L2. Referral to spinal surgeon next so he/she can assess the agression of the tumour. It may mean treatment (injections, surgery) or it might just be a watch and wait brief.

If I hadn't had the fall, I wouldn't have known. It was an "incidental finding". So, every cloud and all that!

I hope you all have a lovely day. Jane xx

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Goo Morning Everyone

I hope you're all good and well. Lovely day here today - very bright and mild. I hope it's like this for you tomorrow @brian1.

Medical update from Smurf HQ: Saw GP this morning and aside from what we already knew ( (arthritis, opsteoporosis in spine), it turns out I have a large, but non- cancerous, tumour across Lumbar Spine L1 and L2. Referral to spinal surgeon next so he/she can assess the agression of the tumour. It may mean treatment (injections, surgery) or it might just be a watch and wait brief.

If I hadn't had the fall, I wouldn't have known. It was an "incidental finding". So, every cloud and all that!

Sorry to read that Jane, but as you say, every cloud......... 

Also good news that it's benign, and hopefully that if treatment is needed it will be done soon.

Take care x

Avril

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Goo Morning Everyone

Oh dear, but thank goodness it is benign. 😘

Gx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Beckett said:

+1from 5ft 2 in Jane. 

Are you sure? I used to be 5ft 2in, but on my last health check I was 5ft 1in.

Just had a scary thought. That was 4 years ago, I could be 5ft by now😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

57 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I remember my B I L  , he fell and broke his arm and they found a small cancer.

His words were " Someone up there was looking out for me ,in a strange way "

Hope everything gets sorted Jane , One thing after another as the saying goes .

Take care ♥️🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Are you sure? I used to be 5ft 2in, but on my last health check I was 5ft 1in.

Just had a scary thought. That was 4 years ago, I could be 5ft by now😁

Avril

Check your shoe leather lass , after all that running around when Frank were bad 

could be thas wore your shoes out . Check tread on them 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Goo Morning Everyone

Sending you my best wishes Jane.

Graham xx

Screenshot_20240408_135522.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Goo Morning Everyone

Sorry to read this Jane but it’s also a good thing that it’s been found and any necessary action taken.

For me last year DCIS was found accidentally  following other surgery, thankfully now have yearly mammograms to monitor it.

Hope you are generally feeling better in yourself after your fall

Michelle

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I remember my B I L  , he fell and broke his arm and they found a small cancer.

His words were " Someone up there was looking out for me ,in a strange way "

Hope everything gets sorted Jane , One thing after another as the saying goes .

Take care ♥️🙂

I wonder how may cancers are found incidentally, my wifes breat cancer was found following a CT scan checking for a possible stomach ulcer, which happened to be negative.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Check your shoe leather lass , after all that running around when Frank were bad 

could be thas wore your shoes out . Check tread on them 😉

Tread's fine Kalos, it's the little legs😁

Avril

• Haha 8

Once again, thanks for your good wishes one and all.

I'm feeling much better now thank you. Stitches out tomorrow then me and my tumour will await further instruction from them wot know,

Thanks again you lovely lovely people!

Best wishes to all. Jane xx

• Like 16

Good Afternoon everyone. 

Sunday.  A visit to Eden Project. Weather ( storm killjoy) having an effect meant  getting a little wet once we arrived. So straight to the Biomes. Some pics  below. 

So today, Monday  we were off to Rock opp side of Estuary  for a family lunch at The Mariniers. 

We had several friends ask if we were eating at Rick Stein places. Short answer, no. But we will & are eating at different Paul Anisworth restaurants.

I have food pictures/ menu also  below. 

20240407_125133.jpg

20240407101214.JPG

20240407103301.JPG

20240407103240.JPG

20240407112234.JPG

20240407104943.JPG

20240407112023.JPG

20240407113605.JPG

20240407112310.JPG

20240407112509.JPG

20240407112532.JPG