P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Oh my goodness! Good news that you had no fractures but I expect you’re going to be very sore. I hope you feel better very soon

Nice to see you posting hope you and the family are ok Sarah.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

Nice to see you posting hope you and the family are ok Sarah.

Thanks Kalos 

I thought I’d have more time for browsing once my daughter was on maternity leave but it hasn’t worked that way.

New baby is gorgeous, the 4 year old goes and sits on the stairs with his hand over his ears when baby cries 😂

Mum hasn’t had a date for her back operation yet. Our cruise is 8 weeks today so I hope the op isn’t while we’re away 🥴 

i hope you and everyone else is keeping well.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thanks Kalos 

I thought I’d have more time for browsing once my daughter was on maternity leave but it hasn’t worked that way.

New baby is gorgeous, the 4 year old goes and sits on the stairs with his hand over his ears when baby cries 😂

Mum hasn’t had a date for her back operation yet. Our cruise is 8 weeks today so I hope the op isn’t while we’re away 🥴 

i hope you and everyone else is keeping well.

That’s so cute about your grandson!

I’ll keep everything crossed for the op date, the stress of waiting doesn’t help! 
I was anxious I’d get a call from my mum’s Home just before we went away! I made sure they had my sister’s number though 😏

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

It is quiet here I hope everyone is okay.

It is 8°C but raining in Sunderland.

I hope everyone has a great day.

It's similar on the Southern fringes of the metropolis... except that the rain's just a tad warmer! Forecast for the rest of the day is wind and rain. 

Just reading how busy some ships were over the Easter Holiday.

HD-wallpaper-noah-s-ark-cartoons-noah-entertainment-funny-ark.jpg.10cc3a7c635fdf10448dd53519aa65cf.jpg

A day without a chuckle is a day without sunshine so best not to make a day without sunshine a day without a chuckle! 😇😂

Hope everyone is well.

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Just reading how busy some ships were over the Easter Holiday.

A sign of the times?  The thread attached is trending on Google headlines ...

• Like 2

Good Morning

I hope everyone is well today.

It's very mild here this morning but alternating between brilliant sunshine and heavy showers.

Another day indoors for me today. I feel like I've been kicked by donkeys. Everything hurts/aches and I didn't sleep very well again. However, painkillers are a wonderful invention and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be a bit more human.

My next task is to try and get an appointment to get my stitches removed on Tuesday next week. I phoned my GP surgery to get an appointment booked in, but of course nothing is straightforward any more. "You have to call on the day" says the receptionist. "I promise I'm not being difficult but I really do need to have these stitches out on Tuesday. What do you advise?" says I. "Go back to A&E" she says. That was it! 

It's not often I wish I was still at work in my own brilliant surgery but that was one of those times. 

I'm going to call again today and try another receptionist but if I don't have any luck I'll probably have to go to a walk-in centre where the waits are only about 2 hours. 

Right, no more whingeing. I just want to thank @twotravellersLondon and @P&O SUE for the gorgeous photos posted yesterday. Two Travellers - your bird pics are exquisite  and Sue - so glad you had a good cruise and you, me dear, are really photogenic.

Have a good day guys and girls. Best wishes. Jane xx

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I hope your in-laws are alright Damian.

Avril

Thanks Avril.

They're just back from a 16 night cruise on Aurora and father-in-law was getting short of breath. Diagnosed as a chest infection and a little water on the lung so the most likely cause is the notorious Aurora air con. We're all relieved as the diagnosis could have been far worse.

Damian

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning

It's very mild here this morning but alternating between brilliant sunshine and heavy showers.

Another day indoors for me today. I feel like I've been kicked by donkeys. Everything hurts/aches and I didn't sleep very well again. However, painkillers are a wonderful invention and I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be a bit more human.

My next task is to try and get an appointment to get my stitches removed on Tuesday next week. I phoned my GP surgery to get an appointment booked in, but of course nothing is straightforward any more. "You have to call on the day" says the receptionist. "I promise I'm not being difficult but I really do need to have these stitches out on Tuesday. What do you advise?" says I. "Go back to A&E" she says. That was it! 

It's not often I wish I was still at work in my own brilliant surgery but that was one of those times. 

I'm going to call again today and try another receptionist but if I don't have any luck I'll probably have to go to a walk-in centre where the waits are only about 2 hours. 

Right, no more whingeing. I just want to thank @twotravellersLondon and @P&O SUE for the gorgeous photos posted yesterday. Two Travellers - your bird pics are exquisite  and Sue - so glad you had a good cruise and you, me dear, are really photogenic.

Thank you Jane, you are too kind.

I’m sorry you are feeling so rough still, take it easy x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning

I hope it works out ok but unfortunately for you Jane....welcome to the real world of your local GP. Folk from our practice often go straight to A&E, or the walk in centre. A few weeks ago we filled in the online form as the SS lady on reception told us to do. 4 hours later we phoned.26 in the queue ,eventually. We filled in the online form 4 hours ago and haven't heard anything.  Hold..I'll look...no I can't see it ,you will have to do it again. I'm looking forward to the time I am at the surgery...excuse me, can I ask you a question ?. No you will need to fill an online form in...OK I'll do that. I hope I can find a box to tell you 2 blokes in hoodies have just driven off in your car.🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I hope it works out ok but unfortunately for you Jane....welcome to the real world of your local GP. Folk from our practice often go straight to A&E, or the walk in centre. A few weeks ago we filled in the online form as the SS lady on reception told us to do. 4 hours later we phoned.26 in the queue ,eventually. We filled in the online form 4 hours ago and haven't heard anything.  Hold..I'll look...no I can't see it ,you will have to do it again. I'm looking forward to the time I am at the surgery...excuse me, can I ask you a question ?. No you will need to fill an online form in...OK I'll do that. I hope I can find a box to tell you 2 blokes in hoodies have just driven off in your car.🤣

You are so right Zap. I was very lucky to have been sheltered in the care of my own surgery for so many years. This was my first foray into "the real world" of the NHS - and I don't like it!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - disgraceful, but yes you're right - there will be another form to fill in.

As it happens, following on from my earlier post, I got a text from my GP surgery asking me to make two appointments. One -  to have the stitches removed with the practice nurse, and two - with a GP to discuss findings on my CT scans. All done with an online link so sorted! 

Have a good weekend. Jane xx

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

You are so right Zap. I was very lucky to have been sheltered in the care of my own surgery for so many years. This was my first foray into "the real world" of the NHS - and I don't like it!

I'm sorry to hear about your experience - disgraceful, but yes you're right - there will be another form to fill in.

As it happens, following on from my earlier post, I got a text from my GP surgery asking me to make two appointments. One -  to have the stitches removed with the practice nurse, and two - with a GP to discuss findings on my CT scans. All done with an online link so sorted! 

I'm happy to hear your painkillers are helping you Jane.

Hopefully these 2 funny memes might help too.

Graham xx

434113658_851081647037454_5083800401304733287_n.jpg.73d26c691c832a639874100a4c43feed.jpg

434270903_10159348872921431_3847926390691199119_n.jpg.2bdc297cdfe9480067aeee4276c220bc.jpg

• Haha 13

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Glad you have some progress. On a lighter note I fell over in a poorly lit carpark just before Christmas. I broke a bone in my hand so was struggling to get up. 2 concerned Ladies, from a safe distance called out..' I wouldn't sleep there, its going to be cold tonight '

• Haha 14

A lovely warm day here with a breeze, we went out for breakfast with one of my old workmates and his wife this morning. So a good chinwag there.

Mrs YP then had to go for the dreaded mammogram. I am now going to have a whinge about the NHS after extolling their virtues over the last few years with our own experiences. Usually the mobile unit parks at a local surgery where they can fence off part of the car park. However this has now changed and no local facility is available.

It is no more than an inconvenience and a low cost to us, but for people that have to use public transport it will be more onerous as most of the towns and villages around us do not have a particularly good bus service plus the new facility is out of town meaning that more than one bus is required.

I fear that some people will not go which will then add more load onto the NHS at a later date.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

A lovely warm day here with a breeze, we went out for breakfast with one of my old workmates and his wife this morning. So a good chinwag there.

Mrs YP then had to go for the dreaded mammogram. I am now going to have a whinge about the NHS after extolling their virtues over the last few years with our own experiences. Usually the mobile unit parks at a local surgery where they can fence off part of the car park. However this has now changed and no local facility is available.

It is no more than an inconvenience and a low cost to us, but for people that have to use public transport it will be more onerous as most of the towns and villages around us do not have a particularly good bus service plus the new facility is out of town meaning that more than one bus is required.

I fear that some people will not go which will then add more load onto the NHS at a later date.

Barnsley now has a 'branch' of the hospital in the new town centre. They do all the non emergency tests etc to free up as many resources as possible for the hospital. They do xrays, scans, mamograms, blood testing, removing stitches, anything that can be done without the need to wait for hours at the hospital. 

Avril

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Barnsley now has a 'branch' of the hospital in the new town centre. They do all the non emergency tests etc to free up as many resources as possible for the hospital. They do xrays, scans, mamograms, blood testing, removing stitches, anything that can be done without the need to wait for hours at the hospital. 

Avril

Mrs YP went there for a scan last year, that would have been better for us as we go to Barnsley several times a week. However she was told she couldn't go to Barnsley as she was invited to go for the test by Kirklees area of the NHS. I am not sure what the circumstances of insisting on Barnsley would have been, but it isn't such a big deal for us. For non drivers Barnsley isn't much use for our area as we don't have a bus service other than 3 buses on Saturday. 

• Like 2

When I was in hospital in February, the biggest problem was finding beds for patients who need to be admitted, thus causing blockages in A&E. The big issue is finding places of care or care packages for those who need them after a stay in hospital. The an in the next bed to me was fit to be discharged however he could not return to his home as he would be unable to look after himself and need a place in a care home for a few months whilst he recovered, he had been waiting 3 weeks for such a place. It’s the lack of social care and investment in it that causes many but not all of the issues within the NHS. 

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

When I was in hospital in February, the biggest problem was finding beds for patients who need to be admitted, thus causing blockages in A&E. The big issue is finding places of care or care packages for those who need them after a stay in hospital. The an in the next bed to me was fit to be discharged however he could not return to his home as he would be unable to look after himself and need a place in a care home for a few months whilst he recovered, he had been waiting 3 weeks for such a place. It’s the lack of social care and investment in it that causes many but not all of the issues within the NHS. 

We have recently had this experience too.  An elderly Aunt of mine was 'medically' fit in hospital for 7 weeks whilst a care home place was found.

We're creating a perfect storm for the future I think ...............

• Like 7

Good Morning Everyone

I hope you are well today. It's a very warm start to the day here - all windows already open and a lovely breeze coming through. I don't think Storm Kathleen is going to reach my neck of the woods but it looks as though she's going to be very fierce in the North and West so take care.

My big excitement today is that I can wash my hair - yay! Having an injury and looking like a bag lady is not a good combination so some semblance of normality will be very welcome.

Monday is a GP appointment "to discuss the findings on your scan". Maybe they found a brain! Tuesday is stitches out so slowly and surely I hope I'm on the mend. I'll let you know what the "findings" are but apart from that I'll shut up now because this thread is becoming a bit 'Me, Me, Me" . Once again, thank you all so much for your care and good wishes.

Have a great weekend everyone. Jane xxx

• Like 16

@Beckett - so pleased you are starting to feel better and being able to wash your hair will make you feel SO much better.

I don’t think there’s anyone less “me me me” on this forum Jane, as you are one of the most sympathetic and empathetic posters with your kind words and good advice.

Take care.

Gill x

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

@Beckett - so pleased you are starting to feel better and being able to wash your hair will make you feel SO much better.

I don’t think there’s anyone less “me me me” on this forum Jane, as you are one of the most sympathetic and empathetic posters with your kind words and good advice.

Take care.

Gill x

How lovely of you to say that Gill. Thank you so much. 

I must tell you that Ted is revelling in my discomfort. I've had loads of visitors to make a fuss of him (not me!) and he hasn't had to walk very far - have another fall he says!

Have a lovely weekend Gill. Jane xx

• Like 8

That’s all sounding positive Jane.  Enjoy the clean hair - that will give you a great boost.  Will you be ok drying it, or will you have someone help?  
We’ve got very mild, incredibly windy, dry weather this morning.  It must be very difficult for those in the extreme west, who are getting the full force of Storm Kathleen

Have a good Saturday/weekend everyone.  Bon voyage to anyone embarking a cruise today or tomorrow 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

In retrospect, the closing of so many of the old style cottage hospitals seems to have been a really poor decision

• Like 10