P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, kalos said:

I seldom listen to BBC radio, maybe Radio Sheffield Toby Foster who does a 

topical local chat about things I can relate to.

Delighted to hear it, BBC local radio is extremely valuable.  My one complaint is the budget cuts making them join up overnight  a real shame in my opinion but money being tight totally understandable.

Ken Bruce made his own decision to leave based on a quadrupled salary which as he said couldn't really be refused at his age.  Interestingly his slot on BBC is now picking up listeners whereas his new one is much smaller.  Sadly another case of losing someone due to needing to keep the finan6house in order.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

When Ken Bruce left BBC ,I now tune into G H radio just for the Pop Master quiz.

As for the BBC tv ,I have watched the Olympics,news , documentaries and bits 

of football and sometimes full matches .

All this for just under .47 p per day ,so no complaints from me .

We do the same for Pop Master but we still listen to Radio 2 most mornings from getting up until 12.00.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, kalos said:

When Ken Bruce left BBC ,I now tune into G H radio just for the Pop Master quiz.

As for the BBC tv ,I have watched the Olympics,news , documentaries and bits 

of football and sometimes full matches .

All this for just under .47 p per day ,so no complaints from me .

I listen to our local radio station, Radio Shropshire, very useful during bad weather, the local commercial stations are poor imitations of what they once were. 

The BBC is the main TV station we watch for its excellent programming uninterrupted by inane adverts. We do have a cable TV subscription, mainly for the sport, movies and documentaries. 

In the car I tend to listen to Virgin Anthems channel which plays music from 70s and 80s otherwise it’s music I have loaded on my phone or the occasional podcast. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

The rain (for once) is very welcome. I’m hoping the forecast is correct and it will here in Dorset stop around 8am…..

I am enjoying the Olympics and viewing is always more enjoyable when team GB &NI are successful in winning medals! My only criticism would be there is too much waffle at times on the main BBC channels.

Have a good day everyone

More waffle than action sometimes...........oh what a perfect jump/dive/routine !!!. When it seemed fairly average...why are we team GB&NI ?. Why can't we be team UK?...lots of medals...come on team UK🤩

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Palaceman said:

The BBC could not afford to pay for full live coverage of the Olympics this year. This means they have a lot of gaps to fill with waffle. This proves the tax we have to pay called the TV Licence fee is not fit for purpose and outdated. It's about time it was scrapped and the BBC became a commercial broadcaster. All other channels have adverts so there'd be no hardship to the viewers. 

I watch the F1 on sky. Before and after the race lots if adverts. During the race, none are shown. It can be done.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Not correct, the IOC awarded the rights from 2016 to 2024 to Warner Discovery TV & EBU for $1.45bn, they then licence packages of live events and highlights with restrictions to other broadcasters, including the BBC. The same has been done for the games both Summer and Winter from 2025 to 2032, it’s is believed the package offered to the BBC, who currently have sole rights to broadcasting the games in U.K, is an improvement on the 2024 package. 

I don’t think the licence payer would approve of the BBC using a third or more of its income on one event that is broadcast every four years. 

Quite right. How much do the beeb pay for Eurovision....? Too much..I bet

5 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Being from Rotherham I prefer Chuckle vision, top program ! 🙃

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Being from Rotherham I prefer Chuckle vision, top program ! 🙃

Obviously memorable. Is that where your humour comes from. That'll do for me Tommy.🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Far too much, at least the Olympics are worth watching and the winners are on the podium based on their ability rather than countries voting for their allies.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

More waffle than action sometimes...........oh what a perfect jump/dive/routine !!!. When it seemed fairly average...why are we team GB&NI ?. Why can't we be team UK?...lots of medals...come on team UK🤩

I'm not an expert and am watching the show jumping... A horse jumps over the fences with somebody hanging on to it for grim death. If the horse comes in the top 3, they give the rider a medal. Shouldn't the clever horse get the medal.?🐎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Obviously memorable. Is that where your humour comes from. That'll do for me Tommy.🤣🤣

Cannon and Ball 😀 Love em, as well. . I suppose my humor does come from 

around here but also off some things you folk post on here    To Me ,To You   🤣

• Haha 5

Reading through the news ,two drunks on MSC Virtuosa have been charged

with stuffing jewelry down their undies and leaving without paying .

I will be watching any ships photo's with great interest in future ..

Is that bulge in your pants just a Radley bag or .... 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

I'm not an expert and am watching the show jumping... A horse jumps over the fences with somebody hanging on to it for grim death. If the horse comes in the top 3, they give the rider a medal. Shouldn't the clever horse get the medal.?🐎

The horse gets its oats

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We will never know as it not a broadcasting fee as such but a "club," membership to actually run the contest.  Lots of talk about the cost to Liverpool last year - see below.  As we are pretty dire at it nowadays I don't think the cost will be too much of a worry for now.

"How much does Eurovision cost?

Each participating broadcaster pays an entrance fee to the EBU.

France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK pay the most, although the BBC does not make its contribution public.

It is thought staging the 2023 event in Liverpool cost the BBC between £8m and £17m. The UK government pledged £10m, while local authorities in Liverpool committed £4m."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Palaceman said:

The BBC could not afford to pay for full live coverage of the Olympics this year. This means they have a lot of gaps to fill with waffle. This proves the tax we have to pay called the TV Licence fee is not fit for purpose and outdated. It's about time it was scrapped and the BBC became a commercial broadcaster. All other channels have adverts so there'd be no hardship to the viewers. 

I can’t think of anything worse than adverts on the BBC. They’re doing a great job. 

• Like 3

In between nearly every BBC programme there is a mountain of ads for future programmes, or an overlong introduction, as in the Olympics, every time they go back after a break.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

Even though I don't bother with Eurovision, the fact that it gets such good viewing figures is probably why the Beeb continue to highlight it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

In between nearly every BBC programme there is a mountain of ads for future programmes, or an overlong introduction, as in the Olympics, every time they go back after a break.  

I like to see that, gives me an idea of what is coming, darn site better than back to back betting ads you get on sky sports channels. 

Commercial TV isn’t free, we are all paying for in when we buy anything as a small percentage of what we pay goes towards the companies marketing budget out of which come s the creation of the advert and paying commercial tv companies for the advertising slots, which can be eye watering amounts at peak times.

The ads are one reason why we record programs on commercial channels and fast forward through the said ads, what is listed as an hour long program we can watch in 40 to 45 mins. 

A marketing man once told me that marketing companies tried to get the fast forward button banned on video recorders when they first appeared as they believed it would hit the businesses income. Guess it works a few years ago I could name adverts, today I have no idea who advertising what in the majority of cases. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

They might ad well it seems every 5 mins they are advertising I player and it seems there are as many breaks when watching sky sports 

I guess as the Iplayer is paid for from the licence fee and there are many who don't watch the sports it's a good way to let people know it's out there.  

It was mentioned to me on here a few days ago that it would be the best solution for those not liking sports.  

It's quite astonishing what the licence fee actually produces for what is really a small sum.  Compared with Netflix, Amazon etc who at least make and produce their own programmes they have a miniscule amount to spend on production yet make some of the best programmes available and export them worldwide.  

• Like 2

Whilst the subject of content on the BBC is subjective what I find really annoying is that I can't watch any live TV on any other channel or provider, for example Sky or ITV which are funded by advertisements, unless I have a TV licence where the fee goes to the BBC. I can choose to pay to have Sky, Netflix etc if I wish but I can't watch any of that live if I don't pay for a service I don't want/use.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Devon born and bred said:

Whilst the subject of content on the BBC is subjective what I find really annoying is that I can't watch any live TV on any other channel or provider, for example Sky or ITV which are funded by advertisements, unless I have a TV licence where the fee goes to the BBC. I can choose to pay to have Sky, Netflix etc if I wish but I can't watch any of that live if I don't pay for a service I don't want/use.

That’s because it’s a TV Licence Fee not a BBC Licence fee, the fee is for watch TV broadcasts be that terrestrial or Pay TV.

The fee goes to the government out of which it gives a grant to the BBC, which amounts to around 65% of its income. 

• Like 2

I seldom if ever watch sport and the money the BBC pays for that is a waste IMO but I appreciate others do enjoy it. The salary they pay some presenters is fra key just silly.

I do however watch the Eurovision every year, which is just once a year, so much better value for me than football twice a week.

I also don’t watch Strictly but again lots of people do.

The trick for the BBC is to offer something across a range of interests for everyone.

• Like 5