P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

My DIL went with friends to the slightly cheaper bit of Moor Hall, the barn, and they had a lovely time.  However, I have read on Trip Advisor or similar from people who felt the service for them was slow and unfriendly - sounds like they were very busy with  large tables at the time - so naturally felt they did not get what they expected.

My experience at Moor Hall Barn was stellar - great company, table looking out over the lake, good service and good food - but the tiny 'pearls' of pear on my pear tart did make me want to giggle.  It's just that I don't truly appreciate the 'specialness' of the food, well, other than the fact that it is locally sourced.

As a one-off, it met my expectations, and we had a lovely time.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Well that's a relief... both done our official tests for our Ambassador cruise on Sunday and both negative. We leave tomorrow to stay overnight at the PI.

This is  a strange  one as we have to pack layers and hat and scarves as it's Round Britain and it gets a bit nippy up there in Scotland and the Shetlands.

Normally we would be all sorted out and packed by now, but we aren't.  We dont know why.  Probably psychologically it could be something to do with covid or the fact that it isn't 'abroad',  Its very strange.

I wont be able to get off at some ports, which are tendered,   (taking my little buggy) but hey ho... i'll be on a ship with wine, books, chocs and good company.

No naughty steps while I'm gone.   Have fun😇

I hope the weather stays good for you.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211221_223815.jpg

• Like 2

I haven't eaten out for over 6 months, my wife does go out now and again with various friends for meet ups. However in the next month we have a UK break so will eat out then and a special family meal is booked locally to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, mil birthday and middle son coming back from Australia for the first time in 3 years.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I haven't eaten out for over 6 months, my wife does go out now and again with various friends for meet ups. However in the next month we have a UK break so will eat out then and a special family meal is booked locally to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, mil birthday and middle son coming back from Australia for the first time in 3 years.

Enjoy your break and family meal.  It will be lovely for you to have your son back.

We have got back into our routine of making the effort to go out once a week to eat and are enjoying it.  We felt as though it was time to start trying to get back to a more normal way of life.  We are still taking precautions such as wearing masks when we are in crowded places and constantly using hand sanitizer, we are also still testing before we go out to be sure that we aren't likely to pass the virus on.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

My experience at Moor Hall Barn was stellar - great company, table looking out over the lake, good service and good food - but the tiny 'pearls' of pear on my pear tart did make me want to giggle.  It's just that I don't truly appreciate the 'specialness' of the food, well, other than the fact that it is locally sourced.

As a one-off, it met my expectations, and we had a lovely time.

There's also Solo now next door to the GP Surgery. No stars yet but I believe the food is of a similar quality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Enjoy your break and family meal.  It will be lovely for you to have your son back.

We have got back into our routine of making the effort to go out once a week to eat and are enjoying it.  We felt as though it was time to start trying to get back to a more normal way of life.  We are still taking precautions such as wearing masks when we are in crowded places and constantly using hand sanitizer, we are also still testing before we go out to be sure that we aren't likely to pass the virus on.

Thanks. Son is only with us for 5 days then spending a few days with friends in London before flying back to Australia via a week's holiday in Bali.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It looks delicious.  I showed the pics to my friend who worked at Wedgwood years ago and she said that she had they have obviously upgraded since she used to eat in the canteen,.  I didn't quite understand until she to!d me that Lunar is in what used to be the staff canteen. 

If they were served food like that in the canteen, they would have to have paid them well to afford it. The restaurant is sited within ‘The World of Wedgwood’ and crockery and cutlery is all Wedgwood and glassware is Waterford crystal. I don’t know what the breakage policy is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

If they were served food like that in the canteen, they would have to have paid them well to afford it. The restaurant is sited within ‘The World of Wedgwood’ and crockery and cutlery is all Wedgwood and glassware is Waterford crystal. I don’t know what the breakage policy is.

I dread to think how much the china, cutlery and glassware is but I hope the poor staff don't have to pay for breakages. 

We have a beautiful Wedgwood dinner set and matching tea set that we had for  wedding presents and 42 years later I still haven't used them because I would hate to break a piece especially now that it is out of production.

I know that you don't originate from Stoke but do you do the Stokie thing of turning over crockery to see where it was made ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

653D35B8-27BB-496D-8277-AA6617C82B3F.thumb.jpeg.1444586fd6d71ca05c6d5e51064b4c58.jpeg

A truck loaded with thousands of copies of Roget's Thesaurus spilled its load leaving New York
Witnesses were stunned, startled, aghast, stupefied, confused, shocked, rattled, paralyzed, dazed, bewildered, surprised, dumbfounded, flabbergasted, confounded, astonished, and numbed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

19 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I dread to think how much the china, cutlery and glassware is but I hope the poor staff don't have to pay for breakages. 

We have a beautiful Wedgwood dinner set and matching tea set that we had for  wedding presents and 42 years later I still haven't used them because I would hate to break a piece especially now that it is out of production.

I know that you don't originate from Stoke but do you do the Stokie thing of turning over crockery to see where it was made ?

We were given money from my parents to buy a Wedgwood dinner set as our wedding present 30 years ago, we got it from the factory shop as it is only a 30 minute drive away. We used it at Christmas and special family meals for 10 years or so but not much since and especially since the Grandkids came along!! I have contacted some buy/sell crockery places a few times but they weren't interested. 

7 hours ago, lincslady said:

I also enjoy some fine dining, pub food and fish and chips, depending on the circumstances, and they all need to be the best of their type.  One problem with fine dining can be that expectations are understandably very high, an anything less than perfection is noticed.  My DIL went with friends to the slightly cheaper bit of Moor Hall, the barn, and they had a lovely time.  However, I have read on Trip Advisor or similar from people who felt the service for them was slow and unfriendly - sounds like they were very busy with  large tables at the time - so naturally felt they did not get what they expected.  I know a few restaurant owners actually don't want Michelin stars or other gongs, as they know they will attract foodies expecting perfection at all times.  That meal at Luna looked lovely, and not overfussy.

Exactly this for me. I am lucky to be able to choose from a number of fine dining options here but although I will do occasionally it needs to be absolutely sublime food for the £100+ cost just for me. I like and appreciate excellence in anything but it also has to represent value for money and be a top notch experience e..g. beautiful table settings and surroundings excellent service. One of the venues locally have started serving some fish items in newspaper - fine if its the chip shop (it isn't) but when my cod strips in goodness knows what spicing cost £32 for 4 strips excuse me but give me a plate and cutlery. Nor do I want the waiter calling me 'me dear'. Might just be old fashioned but I like my monies worth for anything £100 as I say has to buy me the whole package If not the local gastro pub can do me 3 meals for that cost and Wetherspoons probably 5-6. and I trim my expectations and still have a great time cheaper.

2 hours ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

There's also Solo now next door to the GP Surgery. No stars yet but I believe the food is of a similar quality.

Yes, my friends and I were discussing Solo. Two of them had been and both came to the conclusion that it too is aiming for a Michelin star but they felt that unlike Moor Hall it didn’t have that ‘extra’ something (location maybe?) to warrant the prices they were charging, unlike nearby Moor Hall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Only when I have eaten everything off it 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Yes, my friends and I were discussing Solo. Two of them had been and both came to the conclusion that it too is aiming for a Michelin star but they felt that unlike Moor Hall it didn’t have that ‘extra’ something (location maybe?) to warrant the prices they were charging, unlike nearby Moor Hall. 

Yes it isn't quite as glam a location as Moor Hall given it's next door to the GP and opposite a primary school. Good to have more choices in the area though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Wow that looks amazing. 

Looks like you have competition Graham 😀🙂

I doubt that Graham would be impressed that the ' meat ' is sitting in runny blood, or is it fine dining ' jus'. I would send it back.🤔

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I doubt that Graham would be impressed that the ' meat ' is sitting in runny blood, or is it fine dining ' jus'. I would send it back.🤔

I'd just ask when ordering how it came and either ask for it to be done more or order something else --- problem solved. 

I'm a 'I want my steak cremated, very well done, no pink' sort of person and some would send that back if they were served it. It is all down to personal taste. 🙂

• Like 2

We have returned from a great trip to see Andre Rieu in Liverpool, a magical experience. The M&S Bank arena was full. We stayed at the Mercure Preston hotel and dined at East2East adjacent to the arena before the show, a cracking Indian restaurant if a little pricey. We had a couple of hours around Salford Quays this morning before returning home. We finished the break by eating fish and chips in one of our local parks in lovely warm sunshine.

Wishing all those going on their cruises this week end a great holiday.

• Like 12

56 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I'd just ask when ordering how it came and either ask for it to be done more or order something else --- problem solved. 

I'm a 'I want my steak cremated, very well done, no pink' sort of person and some would send that back if they were served it. It is all down to personal taste. 🙂

I was asked and selected medium rare which it was, although more medium than rare.

There was also a beef ‘gravy’ (no bisto) to go with it.

Edited by pete14
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Like you, we bought a Wedgwood dinner and tea set when we were first married.  We were buying it piece by piece as we could afford it, but then Wedgwood decided to discontinue it because it didn't fit American dishwashers (they weren't much in evidence here at the time!). We were really unhappy at that, contacted Wedgwood, and did a deal with them which allowed us to buy the rest of what we needed direct from them at half the retail price.

Over the years it was brought out just 'as best' until there was a change of policy in the house (my wife sets policy in these matters) and it was decided that it was pointless having it sitting unused for most of the time, so we now use it every day.  We also found that we could buy the pieces that we couldn't originally afford from eBay at really good prices - and most of it turned out to be almost unused!  Surprise, surprise - everybody else had just been keeping it for best.

We don't have best now - we use it all the time, every day.  Why keep it, just for it to end up, eventually, in a charity shop?  Live for today!!!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Like you, we bought a Wedgwood dinner and tea set when we were first married.  We were buying it piece by piece as we could afford it, but then Wedgwood decided to discontinue it because it didn't fit American dishwashers (they weren't much in evidence here at the time!). We were really unhappy at that, contacted Wedgwood, and did a deal with them which allowed us to buy the rest of what we needed direct from them at half the retail price.

Over the years it was brought out just 'as best' until there was a change of policy in the house (my wife sets policy in these matters) and it was decided that it was pointless having it sitting unused for most of the time, so we now use it every day.  We also found that we could buy the pieces that we couldn't originally afford from eBay at really good prices - and most of it turned out to be almost unused!  Surprise, surprise - everybody else had just been keeping it for best.

We don't have best now - we use it all the time, every day.  Why keep it, just for it to end up, eventually, in a charity shop?  Live for today!!!

Interesting - we have a Royal Doulton dinner set we were given as a wedding present. It is beautiful and was actually made in Stoke on Trent. Part of us doesn't want to use it but the other part thinks that it is just sitting there ..... think it is time to risk it getting broken ...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Interesting - we have a Royal Doulton dinner set we were given as a wedding present. It is beautiful and was actually made in Stoke on Trent. Part of us doesn't want to use it but the other part thinks that it is just sitting there ..... think it is time to risk it getting broken ...

It's a difficult one.  I think we were influenced by the fact that breakages were reasonably easy to deal with via eBay.  The odd droppage has been dealt with quite easily and cheaply.  1970s Wedgwood isn't very fashionable now.  The kids hate it and prefer Ikea!

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

It's a difficult one.  I think we were influenced by the fact that breakages were reasonably easy to deal with via eBay.  The odd droppage has been dealt with quite easily and cheaply.  1970s Wedgwood isn't very fashionable now.  The kids hate it and prefer Ikea!

You haven't seen our dinner set --- it is just so lovely and real quality ...... proud to be from Stoke on Trent seeing it. Just frightened to use it ...... this is Royal Doulton and the quality is awesome.

Had email from theatre today the performance of the Da Vinci Code has been cancelled as the tour has been ended early. The reason was given as

Due to Covid complications earlier in the tour and circumstances beyond our control, the producers of the show have informed us that the Da Vinci Code will no longer be touring. Apologies for any inconvenience caused

We have chosen the refund option rather than credit for another show. 

We have just one other show booked, the Burn the Floor reunion in July featuring a number of the dancers both past & present from Strictly Come Dancing. We saw the show around 3 years ago, I wasn’t keen but it my OH wanted to go, I surprised myself that I quite enjoyed the show. 

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Stokie thing of turning over crockery to see where it was made ?

That is something I have always done and still do whether in a cafe, restaurant, hotel or on a cruise and it drives my wife absoluteley bonkers but she doesnt understand as she comes from Stafford.