P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Personally I love everyone’s photos on here whether it’s gardens, sunrises , hotels, dinners, celebrating a special occasion, a new car , booking a new cruise, I’m celebrating my life !! As on numerous occasions me and my husband have had several near misses, ie , being  rescued in Yellowstone national park fire in 1988, caught in the great San Francisco earthquake 1989, being late for our ferry the Zeebrugge ferry disaster 1987 ( god rest all the 193 that died then ) we being a family of 4 with 2 small children under age 3 , to saying goodbye to my husband in 1990 for the gulf war not knowing if I would ever see him again and numerous occasions after that , I certainly know what’s going on in this world at the moment and feel for everyone going through hard times as we are too, so we are living for everyday while we can enjoy your life as much as you can everyday is precious, so I love to read when others are able to share what ever they can do even if it just going to the beach and having a McFlurry, favourite pizza restaurant, etc , this is a everyday thread and we should be able to post what we’re up to if we want.Rant over I hope I’ve not offended anyone but I’ve kept quiet for a number of years now and I think we’ve all gone through some tough times and still going through them .

Excellent post Purdey.

My Uncle worked on that ferry at Zeebrugge but luckily was his rota day off.  My Dad had to field several calls from worried Aunties as they couldn’t get hold of my Uncle. 

• Like 4

The actual meaning of banal is lacking in originality. Some of our posts may have been daft or whatever, but they never lacked originality.🙂

I was widowed, aged 66, in August 2019,  having never lived alone in my entire life. This forum was a lifeline for me. Nine months later, just when I was ready to start joining a few things to get myself out of the house and back into some sort of normal life, came the first lockdown. I was lucky - family moved in and I wasn't alone; many were not so fortunate plus quite a few of the members on here were shielding; some still are.

Like many,  I now contribute sometimes and not others, but still read the P&O boards every day and get a great deal of pleasure out of so doing. One day, I may even go on a solo cruise, at which point the good people on here will be a mine of useful information.

Take care everyone.

• Like 25

23 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

The actual meaning of banal is lacking in originality. Some of our posts may have been daft or whatever, but they never lacked originality.🙂

I was widowed, aged 66, in August 2019,  having never lived alone in my entire life. This forum was a lifeline for me. Nine months later, just when I was ready to start joining a few things to get myself out of the house and back into some sort of normal life, came the first lockdown. I was lucky - family moved in and I wasn't alone; many were not so fortunate plus quite a few of the members on here were shielding; some still are.

Like many,  I now contribute sometimes and not others, but still read the P&O boards every day and get a great deal of pleasure out of so doing. One day, I may even go on a solo cruise, at which point the good people on here will be a mine of useful information.

Take care everyone.

Sending you our prayers 🙏 and best wishes on the 3rd memory of your husband Annie.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

If you are someone living alone, or housebound,the banal rubbish may be a lifeline to the outside world

Quite agree, my mother was widowed at 52 and lived alone for over 40 years and was housebound for the last ten years of her life, like lots of her generation she never asked for help, it did her no harm living without social media as she lived out a very fulfilled life until the last three months , while appreciating it may well be a lifeline to the generation now, in her time she managed perfectly well without it 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Quite agree, my mother was widowed at 52 and lived alone for over 40 years and was housebound for the last ten years of her life, like lots of her generation she never asked for help, it did her no harm living without social media as she lived out a very fulfilled life until the last three months , while appreciating it may well be a lifeline to the generation now, in her time she managed perfectly well without it 

Well, she would have done. It didn't exist! My mother, who would now be 99, also managed very well without it for the same reason, but had she been born a little later would have absolutely loved it. She missed out.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Well, she would have done. It didn't exist! My mother, who would now be 99, also managed very well without it for the same reason, but had she been born a little later would have absolutely loved it. She missed out.

It did exist for her later years,🙂

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Vamps - hope you have a great cruise. Make sure you come back here and let us know how you got on.

I definitely will

going with msc and their boards just do not feel the same as this one. You recognise so many names and characters that for me even going on a different line I’d rather tell you guys about. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I definitely will

going with msc and their boards just do not feel the same as this one. You recognise so many names and characters that for me even going on a different line I’d rather tell you guys about. 

Will be interesting to see what you make of MSC ,we have toyed with trying them for quite some time and have had mostly good reports, but as with everything also some not so good.

6 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Sorry , I meant for MY mothers later years🙂

Ah, right. Sorry.

My grandparents' generation (born late 19th century) managed perfectly well without telephones; imagine they were a welcome breakthrough, though, when they arrived and people could communicate and help each other without actually meeting in person. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Point of order!  It may be banal, but it is never rubbish (unless it's about my bins! )

Point of order to your point of order. I didn't originate the reference to banal rubbish, but I do take a great interest on your tales of Wheely bins. They have a social media following of their own.🤣........ wasn't me what started it.🤣

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Exactly.  I was widowed a few months ago, having managed through covid and my husband being in a care home and then hospital.  Please realise that for those few who have been through these sorts of troubles in recent years this sort of lifeline has been a big help and comfort, even though we probably have family and friends as well.  Something to turn when you are feeling particularly alone.

I do try to put myself in others shoes, and hope other people will do the same.  I feel lucky in that I  will not go hungry or cold this winter, even with the horrendous increase in cost of living coming up, and so sorry for those who will.  So I would like everyone to either enjoy this thread, or just don't bother with it!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Exactly.  I was widowed a few months ago, having managed through covid and my husband being in a care home and then hospital.  Please realise that for those few who have been through these sorts of troubles in recent years this sort of lifeline has been a big help and comfort, even though we probably have family and friends as well.  Something to turn when you are feeling particularly alone.

I do try to put myself in others shoes, and hope other people will do the same.  I feel lucky in that I  will not go hungry or cold this winter, even with the horrendous increase in cost of living coming up, and so sorry for those who will.  So I would like everyone to either enjoy this thread, or just don't bother with it!

100% agree……..👏👏👏

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I am truly sorry that you were widowed a few months ago.

I'm really pleased that this thread has helped you and it is always nice to read your comments.

Graham.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

This mirrors what Royal Caribbean do.

On Royal Caribbean they also leave envelopes in your cabin called 

Tip Tip Hooray

This is after you have auto paid your gratuities.

Never had them in my RCI cabin, but ours were Southampton sailings so maybe RCI reckon it's a waste of envelopes in the UK .

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I'm not quite sure what your point is.

My mother,  born in 1926,  had no television until around 1958.

Are you saying that she should not watch TV,  and instead read People's Friend magazine instead ?

Even worse, she watches banal TV programmes such as Emmerdale. 

Next time I see her,  I will tell her to throw the TV away, turn off the central heating and disconnect her phone, because she will manage,  as you put it, "perfectly well". 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

What!!!!

Over imbibing? You!!? 😲

Never😊

Avril

Avril - what are you trying to say ?😁

I am currently working my way through a case of red wine from Virgin. 

Does anyone else order the discounted first case from these online retailers,  and then cancel their membership?