P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Quite agree, my mother was widowed at 52 and lived alone for over 40 years and was housebound for the last ten years of her life, like lots of her generation she never asked for help, it did her no harm living without social media as she lived out a very fulfilled life until the last three months , while appreciating it may well be a lifeline to the generation now, in her time she managed perfectly well without it 

You may well not intend to deliberately hurt anyone with your posts, but the underlying inuendo in this and many of your posts can do just that.

• Like 10

Morning everyone, hope you are all well this morning. The weather here looks sunny/cloudy at the moment.

We have three grandchildren staying for three nights plus their dog. Mum and dad have gone to a wedding in Barcelona - lucky them.

Hubby is just making pancakes for them all then going to take the three dogs for a walk on the beach. 

It’s 1940’s weekend here in Lytham so we are going to that today. It’s a good way to spend a couple of hours, lots to see. There is a marquee with a tea dance with instruction on the dances and Winston Churchill giving a speech(he looks just like him). No battle re-enactment this year in respect for Ukraine.

Hope you all have a lovely day

Michelle

• Like 11

I need some ideas from those of you based in the middle of the country please.

We always try to see something new on the way down to Southampton. We travel down the the m6 and we are running out of ideas for half way down. So we have visited for example the Potteries, Wedgewood and Drayton Manor, Chester cathedral etc

So for this trip any ideas for attractions around about an hour up or down from say Knutsford?

9 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We always try to see something new on the way down to Southampton. We travel down the the m6 and we are running out of ideas for half way down. So we have visited for example the Potteries, Wedgewood and Drayton Manor, Chester cathedral etc

So for this trip any ideas for attractions around about an hour up or down from say Knutsford?

If you go further down to Newbury you could visit Highclere Castle home of Downton Abbey.

If you do it is best to pre book and have a night in Newbury the night before.

Graham.

• Thanks 1

A blast from the covid past yesterday.Back in 2020 a cop from Rome bought a holiday home over the road.He timed it wrong and ended up in lockdown like us for several months.I remember 2 nurses turning up in spacesuits to test him cos he had contact with a positive lady who just got off a Costa ship.Anyway he is holidaying over the road now leading a "normal"life.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

While the thread has appeared to help a great number of people , which is a positive thing that many obviously appreciate,  it does feel at times like some other social media sites which I am not on or ever will be, my OH,  who is on it ,shows me some of the banal and utter rubbish that gets posted which can't possible be of any support or help to anybody. Would any of that be useful to me during Covid,   not at all, there have been far worse things to deal with in my life than that    

He either likes the banal rubbish, or he isn’t doing social media correctly.  By following the right people, your feed is full of things that interest you personally, and the the things that you  think of as rubbish get filtered out. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If you go further down to Newbury you could visit Highclere Castle home of Downton Abbey.

If you do it is best to pre book and have a night in Newbury the night before.

Graham.

Many thanks Graham but we have done that and also the Bombay Sapphire distillery along the road from it. It’s worth a visit if you haven’t been.

I was looking a little further north as we have exhausted things within an hour or two of Southampton. Everything from Stonehenge, Bath, Stratford, Winchester, Warwick castle etc etc. Last time we did Silverstone on the way which was excellent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

I believe Blists Hill is pretty good. Ironbridge etc. I say ‘believe’ as it’s many years since I visited. Worth investigating as a possibility. 

It is, but guess I am biased as I volunteer for the Trust and also for English Heritage on the Ironbridge and Buildwas Abbey. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ranchi said:

I believe Blists Hill is pretty good. Ironbridge etc. I say ‘believe’ as it’s many years since I visited. Worth investigating as a possibility. 

Blists Hill in Ironbridge is an excellent open air museum but it can involve a fair amount of walking if you choose to see everything it has to offer. A nice dry day helps of course but cannot be guaranteed ☹️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Tatton Park is lovely, on the outskirts of Knutsford. It is the show ground for the RHS Tatton Show held every July.  But apart from that, it is acres of

woodland with deer and the house itself of course, especially if it s raining!

• Thanks 1

Just catching up on last nights posts and the one's on our dearest wives are 

so true .They know before we know which is uncanny ,take my mate Barry ..

Barry gets home late from work and says to his wife "you'll never guess what happened to me today.

She says "Try me".

He says "Well I was walking home from work and past a pub,"

She Interrupts him and says "Your right I don't believe it". 😊

The sooner we learn to translate what they say the better it is for everyone!

Last week I was looking at a hotel for a little stay away and I said to Mrs K...

" I'm thinking of booking this what do you think ?"

Upon inspecting it she said " Well it's up to you ,do what you think " and kissed me on the cheek !  Now to the untrained, she has gave me full control .But I know what she really said  to me is ..

" Stop dithering and book it and I will go and pack "  You learn these things over time.😇

Enjoy your Sunday guys ,(the day of rest  or is it ?? ) Be good and take care :classic_love:

74de65770cd531885633f6f7466df6f5--rest-quotes-silly-quotes.jpg.26de3f01d46a98b6fa23d57689514b62.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I definitely will

going with msc and their boards just do not feel the same as this one. You recognise so many names and characters that for me even going on a different line I’d rather tell you guys about. 

I know how you feel. Next year, I have a Saga cruise booked, and I’m sure I’ll post about it on this thread where I ‘know’ people. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

You could try:

Tatton Park, the gardens are beautiful

Jodrell Bank near to Knutsford if you have any interest in Space

Capesthorne Hall  just south of Knutsford

The Anderton Boat Lift at Northwich is very interesting it lifts boats between the River Weaver and the Trent and Mersey Canal

Shugborough Hall near to Stafford Is worth a visit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t always post but really enjoy reading this thread. 
As with any online forum it is sometimes difficult to tell the intended tone of what is written but it’s possible to skip past posts/posters that maybe make you bristle. 

Anyway, we’ve  been busy with our little 2 year old Grandson, we took him to Leeds Castle yesterday. He’s a friendly little lad and often runs (waddles) up to people to say hello, his current chat up line is ‘hello, how are you, I play  play dough’ most people react well but yesterday he went up to a rotund man and before we could grab him he patted the man on his belly as he said hello. Man wasn’t impressed & just glared & we were very embarrassed. 😳

C68CD33E-101B-4AE1-8C00-7D1A4F648D45.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

As a somewhat irregular contributor to the thread I’d be sad to see it disappear particularly when it isn’t the general consensus but just the opinion of one or two ‘individuals’ who seem to voice the same opinion every few months or so. 

If people didn’t want the thread they wouldn’t post and it would naturally disappear into the ether. 

So what are things like where I am? Well my daughter graduated and secured her first job within a week of graduating, we’re coming to the end of a 6 month full house renovation and was looking forward to relaxing a wee bit but sadly my Mum had other ideas and passed away just over a week ago so I’m in the process of dealing with her estate and making arrangements whilst somehow trying to find the space to process what’s happened.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

As a somewhat irregular contributor to the thread I’d be sad to see it disappear particularly when it isn’t the general consensus but just the opinion of one or two ‘individuals’ who seem to voice the same opinion every few months or so. 

If people didn’t want the thread they wouldn’t post and it would naturally disappear into the ether. 

So what are things like where I am? Well my daughter graduated and secured her first job within a week of graduating, we’re coming to the end of a 6 month full house renovation and was looking forward to relaxing a wee bit but sadly my Mum had other ideas and passed away just over a week ago so I’m in the process of dealing with her estate and making arrangements whilst somehow trying to find the space to process what’s happened.

Congratulations to your daughter great news. So sorry about your mum, take care. X

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

NO WAY….. have you not seen and read how many people enjoy and appreciate this thread.?

Just don’t read the thread or ignore individual posts (like I do and will) if you don’t like it,  and leave the rest of us to participate.

Thank you Sharon for allowing it to continue.

I absolutely agree Gill.

Some of us post every day sometimes several times a day on this thread without any issues.

Graham.

• Like 7

Hi

Cooler here today, and about 17 drops of rain.  Nothing significant forecast at least until the end of the month.  I guess it’s likely to be a wet winter.

Generally, I try to keep to the old adage of “Least said, soonest mended”.  Might work here?

Have a good day all

4CE737C3-63F9-4FB4-B19F-571217B14ADD.thumb.jpeg.d5b4c603a45a1cf1d21e8ac9da4249bc.jpeg

• Haha 5