P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I have always liked to think that the close ties the 4 UK countries have rise above petty differences, and that we have far more in common than any differences that define us.

Clearly I seem to be wrong.

No you’re not wrong. But it’s also good sometimes to celebrate our differences and to remind others that differences do exist! We don’t want to go back to the bad old days of the 1880s when The Encyclopaedia Britannica stated ‘For Wales, see England’. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandad John said:

I believe you should count yourselves lucky having the Prince of Wales, we’ve got the Duke of York (broke out in a sweat just typing that😳).

The 10,000 men scandal hasn't broken yet.

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

No you’re not wrong. But it’s also good sometimes to celebrate our differences and to remind others that differences do exist! We don’t want to go back to the bad old days of the 1880s when The Encyclopaedia Britannica stated ‘For Wales, see England’. 

Tha cumhachd aig focail, cleachd iad gu ciallach.

Or

mae gan eiriau rym. defnyddiwch nhw'n ddoeth (With apologies for the translation).

• Like 3

When I was a girl, I decided to classify myself  thus:   human being, female, English, British.  Wrong order really, but I suppose I did feel English first, even though half of my blood line is Welsh with a smidgeon of French thrown in.  We do feel that we have more in common with our other British neighbours than any other English speaking nation, though.  Well, I do.

• Like 7

Heavens have opened, garden flooded,  Terrible storm, in two parts  here in Kent. Thunder went on and on.   OH had a meeting, but lovely Morrisons driver ran in with the shopping for me and  put it nicely in the kitchen.   He rescued me from a spider too. He couldn't believe then noise of the rain  on the conservatory roof and that has a proper ceiling.

Hopefully that's it.  It was scary stuff, being in alone especially as i had dropped off and woke up in the dark with  the doorbell ringing.

Hope everyone round here is ok.  There are quite a few of us on here from around the area.

• Like 4

United Kingdom Royal Union Flag Sticker ... A beautiful blend of people 😍 

Morning all ,tis a a bit wet this morning but that is part of being British and it's 

easy to spot us Brits as if we are not moaning about the rain,we can be heard 

then saying .."Innit hot ". 🙃

What is it that makes us British though ? 🤔

This question was once asked in a newspaper and I would like to share with 

you a top answer to this question .....

What it means to be British ,,,,

"Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer,

then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way,

to sit on a Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Then  buys a holiday/ home  in Spain, Skis in France, fancies Swedish birds and

has a Romanian au-pair.
 And the most British thing of all?......"Suspicious of anything Foreign "

Hope wherever you are in our lovely nation you have a great day --Take care 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

Morning 15c and raining at the moment as it did yesterday afternoon and into the night. It is forecast to stop about lunchtime so I have planned to wash the car this afternoon. Better days ahead tomorrow and Friday but we are really being rationed the nice days this year.

I have traced my family tree back on all branches to at least the 1700s and in some cases 1400s, 225 individuals in total. Apart from one branch which came from Berwick Upon Tweed all of my ancestor's came south of a line from Norwich to Bristol. Branch records show origin being from Devon, Gloucestershire, Cotwolds, Dorset, Hampshire and Norfolk. I changed this history though by moving up from Southampton to South Cheshire so my son is a mild northerner (not very north more like north midlands) and my wife is welsh so he now has dual UK country ancestry. Although he now lives back down in Southampton so back to the city, town at the time, where one of our ancestors was Mayor in the 1400s.

A rather long winded way of saying that I am truly English but still want the other uk nations (and Ireland) to do well, unless we are playing them of course!!

• Like 17

Morning to you all.

We had the weather that a lot of you are describing yesterday, minus the thunder.   Today we have got blue sky, sunshine and supposedly it will be warm.

I received a letter yesterday with the results of my MRI scan informing me that there has been response to last year's treatment, with another scan in a year. So all looking OK.🙂

Just a few errands to run but, as per norm, nothing exciting doing! 

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, purplesea said:

I received a letter yesterday with the results of my MRI scan informing me that there has been response to last year's treatment, with another scan in a year. So all looking OK.🙂

Excellent news ,so pleased for you .😍😃

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning to you all.

We had the weather that a lot of you are describing yesterday, minus the thunder.   Today we have got blue sky, sunshine and supposedly it will be warm.

Just a few errands to run but, as per norm, nothing exciting doing! 

Hope everyone has a good day.

Excellent news.

I'm pleased for you.

It is 14°C and partly sunny here with rain expected this afternoon.

On football the only time I want to see a team lose is if they are playing Sunderland or England.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are witnesses in a matter today.  Just waiting for Police to arrive to check on computer settings.  We are doing it by video.  Due to last three days.

Scary stuff trying to remember what and when, some of our timings differ a bit, but after two years that is normal.

Strange feelings.

Good luck indiana.  That sounds like the kind of thing nobody would enjoy.  Hope it goes well and, whatever the matter is, that it can be put to bed

I think the rain has finally stopped.  There was a final noisy splatter about 4am but it’s just dull now, with the promise of sun this afternoon and a lovely day tomorrow 

Haircut for me today - that’s as exciting as it’s going to get.  I must say I am enjoying the calm

• Like 7

15 hours ago, kalos said:

I loved it having the local teams playing each other and having friends who support them ,

we took an interest in each others teams .  

Now you're drifting back to the days when there was the word 'Sportsmanship' when people enjoyed the friendly rivalry of the sport.  We now have violence and segregation of fans. Such a shame.

Avril

• Like 6

I think that’s only football Avril?

Certainly rugby and cricket don’t have segregated crowds and don’t need swathes of police - just traffic management for the most part.

We were at Old Trafford years ago when Twickenham was being redeveloped and the England autumn internationals went “on tour”.  We spoke to a mounted police officer, whose horse was stamping its foot.  She said he was bored, just standing there with nothing to do.  She said it was the quietest day at Old Trafford since Songs of Praise was there! 🙂

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kalos said:

United Kingdom Royal Union Flag Sticker ... A beautiful blend of people 😍 

Morning all ,tis a a bit wet this morning but that is part of being British and it's 

easy to spot us Brits as if we are not moaning about the rain,we can be heard 

then saying .."Innit hot ". 🙃

What is it that makes us British though ? 🤔

This question was once asked in a newspaper and I would like to share with 

you a top answer to this question .....

What it means to be British ,,,,

"Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer,

then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way,

to sit on a Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Then  buys a holiday/ home  in Spain, Skis in France, fancies Swedish birds and

has a Romanian au-pair.
 And the most British thing of all?......"Suspicious of anything Foreign "

Hope wherever you are in our lovely nation you have a great day --Take care 🙂

Just goes to show Kalos how versatile we British can be 😁😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

We are witnesses in a matter today.  Just waiting for Police to arrive to check on computer settings.  We are doing it by video.  Due to last three days.

Scary stuff trying to remember what and when, some of our timings differ a bit, but after two years that is normal.

Strange feelings.

Hope it all goes well for you today and the matter is ended after your witness statement.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Strange feelings.

But well worth it. Two years ago my our daughter was the only witness to a very serious and life changing assault  and had to attend court. She was obviously very nervous and a little worried, but as she said later, she felt pleased that she could give the poor man some justice.

Avril

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Now you're drifting back to the days when there was the word 'Sportsmanship' when people enjoyed the friendly rivalry of the sport.  We now have violence and segregation of fans. Such a shame.

Avril

I agree Avril - a sad development.  I get so worked up about the cynical and often potentially career/life changing fouls.  Sadly sportsmanship has been lost in some sports - I suspect the amount of money involved with certain sports is a factor.   

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

I agree Avril - a sad development.  I get so worked up about the cynical and often potentially career/life changing fouls.  Sadly sportsmanship has been lost in some sports - I suspect the amount of money involved with certain sports is a factor.   

Sadly, as with most things nowadays, everything is just 'big business'

Avril

• Like 5

Following our cruise from hell on Sky Princess I emailed Princess guest services with details of the problems that we had on the cruise.  I have just had a call from a very nice young man to discuss the issues and to let us know that they have applied a 25% future cruise credit to our account.

We are not sure that we want to risk another cruise with them but if we are feeling brave or stupid in the future 25% is a good saving on the cost of a cruise.

• Like 13