P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good morning everyone - where are the early birds?

Sunny here for now, but apparently not later.  It was nice to put the news on and see only peaceful people out on the streets; one can but hope that it stays civilised from now on.

I hope everyone is feeling  all right, and we will have a good day.

• Like 10

Morning a very sunny 15.c  this morning and a peaceful start to the day

on these boards.

Wish you all well and take care and have a good day .

.image.jpeg.a333f050c20d17d89fa7f1291c58a58c.jpeg

• Like 10

Good morning.

15°C and sunny here with rain expected this afternoon.

Pleased to see everyone was peaceful last night in Newcastle while Sunderland was a ghost town.

I hope everyone on here is feeling well and we all have a pleasant day.

• Like 10

Morning all,

A dull, wet and dismal day here with rain although warm at 17c.  The gardens and the fields need the rain, but I've had enough!

Going over to see Mum later today, but other than that not a lot planned.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 7

On 8/7/2024 at 7:20 AM, brian1 said:

Morning all,I had my annual eyetest Monday.I had the dreaded confirmation that I need cataracts sorted.She referred me and said it will be 6 weeks for pre op.Got a phone call yesterday,it's for Saturday.Great service but a bit squeamish having my eyes poked about,lol..

I empathise fully, I hate the opticians / hospital eye clinic more than the dentist for the same reason, the poking about. It is however more the thought of it than the actuality. Once they put the anesthetic drops in you don’t feel anything they do at all.

Thats really great news that you are getting sorted out so quickly. It will be worth it and once done.

Boots sell tablets called Kalms which I use before eye clinic visits and going to an airport. They are just herbal but they do work for me (even if the affect is just placebo).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A cool but pleasant day here

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Good morning everyone - where are the early birds?

Sunny here for now, but apparently not later.  It was nice to put the news on and see only peaceful people out on the streets; one can but hope that it stays civilised from now on.

I hope everyone is feeling  all right, and we will have a good day.

A bit grey and cool today.

Busy busy busy this morning, I  was out walking the dog at 5:10 because I  had been up since just after 4 am, it is the first time that I have taken him out and not seen some other dog walkers, I didn't even see any cars.

I have been to the oatcake shop then into town to the optician following a problem that I had on Tuesday evening when I lost my sight in my right eye for a short time, he is sending the details to my doctor so that he can refer me to the eye hospital.

I am planning to bowl this evening at an away green so that should be fun.

I hope everyone is well.

• Like 11

Hope I haven't started a snowball effect of eye problems.I'm quite surprised I was referred cos my vision is nowhere near 50% yet.Best to get it over with sooner than later,cheers,Brian.

• Like 5

I started a thread over on Princess asking what the standard spirit measure is now.I got all sorts of answers none of which answered my question.The best one was get your butt on a bar stool all night and tip the bartender a few bucks now and then and he'll top you up all night.Yeah right ,bar stools to Yanks are like deckchairs to Germans.Anyone know the answer while I'm here,Brian.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hope the vision will be fine, Josy.

I'm a bit neurotic about my eyes because my mum went blind due to her diabetes and I remember how hard it was for her having to rely on people to do things for her. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I started a thread over on Princess asking what the standard spirit measure is now.I got all sorts of answers none of which answered my question.The best one was get your butt on a bar stool all night and tip the bartender a few bucks now and then and he'll top you up all night.Yeah right ,bar stools to Yanks are like deckchairs to Germans.Anyone know the answer while I'm here,Brian.

We were on Sky Princess in March and June this year and found that the waiters in the bar that we drifted to most evenings always brought drinks that were larger than what we get served in local pubs and restaurants at home.  We noticed that the bar tenders rarely used a measure it seemed to be free pour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A wet morning here around 17 C, so not clearing the compost bin out today, needs doing as leachate drainage is blocked, not a job I am looking forward to. 😷

Watched the Athletics on Eurosport last night athlete Matt Hudson-Smith from my home town just missing out on a gold medal.

We watched an exciting Women’s Pole Vault competition followed by the men’s discus in which Jamaican Discus thrower Roja Stona was the surprise winner and also broke the Olympic record, the non European winner since 1976. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I saw that on Princess site as you were thinking of Drinks package. Rather than just have drinks package you should go for Princess Plus which includes Gratuities and Interrnt.  Works out a much better deal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I saw that on Princess site as you were thinking of Drinks package. Rather than just have drinks package you should go for Princess Plus which includes Gratuities and Interrnt.  Works out a much better deal.

I agree that the Princess Plus is better than just a drinks package if you tend to use the Internet a lot when you are away.

It really depends on how much you drink.  Before going on the cruise I did a quick calculation based on what we would normally drink over the course of a cruise :

a glass of wine with dinner and with lunch on sea days

a couple of Hendrix and tonic for me and a couple of lagers and a Malt Whiskey for DH in the evening

what we would give for gratuities for good service.

We decided that for the small saving to be made by buying a package wasn't worth the hassle of tipping individuals. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I agree that the Princess Plus is better than just a drinks package if you tend to use the Internet a lot when you are away.

It really depends on how much you drink.  Before going on the cruise I did a quick calculation based on what we would normally drink over the course of a cruise :

a glass of wine with dinner and with lunch on sea days

a couple of Hendrix and tonic for me and a couple of lagers and a Malt Whiskey for DH in the evening

what we would give for gratuities for good service.

We decided that for the small saving to be made by buying a package wasn't worth the hassle of tipping individuals. 

The main thing is gratuities are added automatically each day on Princess and are large, you need to make moves to remove them and then tip individually. It is indeed a hassle. Princess Plus is $60 and if you drink a moderate amount, with all the other extras included, it is well worth it. 

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

We always ask for 

No Ice in our drinks.

This makes a big difference to the strength of the drink we get.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Went out for lunch today, I had the Ploughman’s Lunch

20240808_141652_Original.jpeg

lovely piece of pork pie, wish I could eat that but at the moment I’m I’ll so hardly any food for me 🥹

Good morning everyone. 

Only 16° at the moment.

The dog decided that 5:15 was a good time to come into the bedroom and demand that I get up to let him out.  He has now gone to sleep but as soon as I have finished my coffee he will be woken up to go for his early walk.  His family are in Rome today, they texted that they are currently on the coach leaving the port.

Have a good day wherever you are.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6

Morning everyone ,we have a bright sunny start to the day 18.c.

I will be booking the car in for mot & full service.The car is coming up 9 year old

and serves us well for the little use we use it overall and we still have no desire

to swap it for another car yet .

That's our plans for today, so whatever your planning ,have a good day.🙂

• Like 7

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Keep away from the scales, and any more food for a few days.

Chuck a few slices of turkey on with that lot and years ago that would be my

Boxing day tea .

Talking of turkeys.. They can really look after themselves .I was on YouTube

and came across a film Turkey vs eagle vs snakes . No contest, the turkey wins

every time

• Like 1