P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I’ve had an email from Nationwide that the Flexplus account monthly cost will rise from £13 to £18 per month from December. I only use the world travel insurance part of the benefits because we have other included car breakdown insurance and our old mobile phones wouldn’t pay much if lost. They also haven’t reinstated interest payments on the balance even though overall interest rates have risen substantially in the last 2 years.

We are due to move to their new travel insurance provider next spring but I know that the changeover started earlier this year. I know that others on here have a flexplus account is the new travel insurance provider ok?, have pre existing condition costs gone up? I read that you have to inform them before any cruise rather than just covered for the year. The attraction of the Flexplus account seems to be diminishing for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I read that you have to inform them before any cruise rather than just covered for the year. The attraction of the Flexplus account seems to be diminishing for me.

You are covered for cruises. You only have to inform them (apply) each time if you want the extra cruise cover for missed ports etc. it is an extra premium each time. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Another grey morning for us.  I put the washing out at 6:30 but it us still as wet as it was when I put it out so I am now drying it in the tumble dryer. 

We have a 30 minute drive to get to our bowling match this afternoon to one of the trickiest greens in the league so it should be an interesting afternoon, the last time I played there I did manage to win my game by 1 chalk so🤞🤞

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I’ve had an email from Nationwide that the Flexplus account monthly cost will rise from £13 to £18 per month from December. I only use the world travel insurance part of the benefits because we have other included car breakdown insurance and our old mobile phones wouldn’t pay much if lost. They also haven’t reinstated interest payments on the balance even though overall interest rates have risen substantially in the last 2 years.

We are due to move to their new travel insurance provider next spring but I know that the changeover started earlier this year. I know that others on here have a flexplus account is the new travel insurance provider ok?, have pre existing condition costs gone up? I read that you have to inform them before any cruise rather than just covered for the year. The attraction of the Flexplus account seems to be diminishing for me.

Even at £18/month it is still considerably less than our old Staysure policy with a higher level of cover. I stopped my Green flag recovery once I opened the flexplus account so another benefit for us. It is a considerable jump though and it may be because of the rising insurance costs. I am awaiting delivery of a new car and having looked at insurance quotes my usual insurer has increased costs by almost 50% since I took out the policy in March. Needless to say I will be changing insurer.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Even at £18/month it is still considerably less than our old Staysure policy with a higher level of cover. I stopped my Green flag recovery once I opened the flexplus account so another benefit for us. It is a considerable jump though and it may be because of the rising insurance costs. I am awaiting delivery of a new car and having looked at insurance quotes my usual insurer has increased costs by almost 50% since I took out the policy in March. Needless to say I will be changing insurer.

I had been with LV car insurance for many years but when my renewal quote came in July with a large increase I went on a comparison site and could save 35% going to Allianz, which is run and administered by……..LV!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had been with LV car insurance for many years but when my renewal quote came in July with a large increase I went on a comparison site and could save 35% going to Allianz, which is run and administered by……..LV!

A few years back I got my car insurance with Churchill and thought it was expensive

so same as you I went on a comparison site only to find Churchill cheaper 🤔

I rang them up but they refused to match it ,even though it was them .

So renewed through the comparison site ,staying with Churchill 😒

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

As already mentioned, the standard insurance covers you for cruising e.g. medical costs, repatriation etc. 

You only pay an additional fee per cruise if you want the cabin confinement and missed ports cover. (From memory £150 p.p./day).   If you wanted this cover before the change of insurer it was a single charge for the year irrespective of the number of cruises taken.  Now it is per cruise. But it's your choice - there is no need to take out this 'extra' unless you feel it's worth it.

However one saving we had was the removal of the age extension cover for over ???? was it 70 years?  Whatever, we did have to pay it with the old insurers and now do not.  I think that was a saving of £65 (again not too sure of figure - but in that order) so in essence having a reduction in cost due to the removal of the age extension and the choice of not taking out additional cruise cover meant it was cheaper with AXA, the new insurers.  Of course medical screening etc is another factor and will vary according to each person but we didn't have any additional costs with the new insurers wrt the medical screening.

So you may find it's still worth considering.

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from wet Dorset!

I got back yesterday from a few days away around the Totnes area in Devon. The weather was ok although Thursday was dreadful as the photo from Dartmouth shows!

Annual boiler service tomorrow- always a sign that winter is approaching!

Have a good Sunday.

Gill x

IMG_0448.jpeg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

As already mentioned, the standard insurance covers you for cruising e.g. medical costs, repatriation etc. 

You only pay an additional fee per cruise if you want the cabin confinement and missed ports cover. (From memory £150 p.p./day).   If you wanted this cover before the change of insurer it was a single charge for the year irrespective of the number of cruises taken.  Now it is per cruise. But it's your choice - there is no need to take out this 'extra' unless you feel it's worth it.

However one saving we had was the removal of the age extension cover for over ???? was it 70 years?  Whatever, we did have to pay it with the old insurers and now do not.  I think that was a saving of £65 (again not too sure of figure - but in that order) so in essence having a reduction in cost due to the removal of the age extension and the choice of not taking out additional cruise cover meant it was cheaper with AXA, the new insurers.  Of course medical screening etc is another factor and will vary according to each person but we didn't have any additional costs with the new insurers wrt the medical screening.

So you may find it's still worth considering.

Thinking of switching to Nationwide, but it would be just for the travel insurance, breakdown insurance not needed as my car has RAC cover included both U.K. & Europe as part of my service contract. Before I switch I would like to know what the additional medical cover costs would be, not found out how you can do that before switching.

52 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Thinking of switching to Nationwide, but it would be just for the travel insurance, breakdown insurance not needed as my car has RAC cover included both U.K. & Europe as part of my service contract. Before I switch I would like to know what the additional medical cover costs would be, not found out how you can do that before switching.

No you don't have to open an account first. This is taken from the Nationwide website.

"If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, you'll need to get a quote from Aviva to cover them before you open a FlexPlus account.

We'll ask if you need a quote – and tell you how to get one – before you start your application."

All the details and links are on the website. 

If you are not happy with your quote you don't need to open an account.

• Like 5

You couldn’t send a bit of that lovely sun this way, could you?  We’re damp again 🙄 So far the saving grace has been that it’s been ok at The Oval and we’ve been able to follow the cricket.  I’m doubting even that for today - not that the cricket has been that great anyway

So - a quiet day in, fitting in a dog walk between the showers and consoling ourselves with a nice chicken roast.  Life’s not so bad

Hope your day is good and the weather doesn’t spoil any plans

• Like 13

Morning 😃 Looks a bit damp and dismal out there this morning and looking

at the forecasts ,plenty more where that came from .Beats getting the watering

can out I suppose.

Will nip out for a Sunday carvery later,that should brighten our day up 😋

Hope you all have a good day -Take care 🙂

• Like 8

Good morning all from yet again another wet day from Bournemouth, we have been out for a few days , Friday we went to Thorpe park as we won blue light passes to ride on their new Hyperia rollercoaster, uks tallest and fastest picture below, but we didn’t like it one bit instant headache before I got off and felt like I was coming out of my seat 😱 , we went on most of the rides but felt iffy after each one and I’ve now come to the conclusion we are too old to do these things 😂 I think my fast days are over , but thanks to blue light card and our bag of goodies.

Saturday we went to the Dorset county show which was lovely seeing all the huge animals and shows but a very wet muddy fields to deal with all fun .

Have a lovely Sunday everyone and all those that have been away I hope you had  lovely time .

IMG_8106.jpeg

IMG_8108.jpeg

IMG_8111.jpeg

IMG_8117.jpeg

IMG_8124.jpeg

IMG_8115.jpeg

IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

• Like 16

Good Morning to you all,

A wet, dull, misty day here too, although it has stopped raining heavily for the time being!

Nothing planned, except a roast for dinner later. Can't decide on a pudding but it will have to be something with raspberries.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Good Morning to you all,

A wet, dull, misty day here too, although it has stopped raining heavily for the time being!

Nothing planned, except a roast for dinner later. Can't decide on a pudding but it will have to be something with raspberries.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Raining here in the NW too, and very autumnal looking.

Every pudding I make will have to be ‘something with apples’ since we have so many. I’ve just defrosted what I believe to be (🤞) the end of last year’s lot!

@Adawn47 do you have any tips on making a good crumble topping please?  

• Like 8

Morning all,conflicting weather reports on different websites here.Will probably wear my waterproofs again walking to the gym.Shorts on Friday and got stung on my leg by a bloody wasp.1st time ever in 71 years,lol.

• Like 9

22 hours ago, kalos said:

A few years back I got my car insurance with Churchill and thought it was expensive

so same as you I went on a comparison site only to find Churchill cheaper 🤔

I rang them up but they refused to match it ,even though it was them .

So renewed through the comparison site ,staying with Churchill 😒

We got our renewal quote from the RAC... I'm not paying  that, up 25%....I went on a comparison site..RAC were still cheapest.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Good morning from wet Dorset!

I got back yesterday from a few days away around the Totnes area in Devon. The weather was ok although Thursday was dreadful as the photo from Dartmouth shows!

Annual boiler service tomorrow- always a sign that winter is approaching!

Have a good Sunday.

Gill x

IMG_0448.jpeg

Did you sit on the top deck for your boat trip up the Dart.🤣