P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

For those who have any interest in the Royal Family; surprising to see the (admittedly not very personal) birthday greetings for Harry.  I myself think it would be good if he could have a private personal reconciliation with his father, but hopefully no question of helping out with any royal duties. Most older Brits. I guess would not approve of that.

In what is an absolute first for me after 21 years and circa 15 cruises with P&O I have today received an e-Mail advising me that they have upgraded my booking for my forthcoming cruise on Ventura to cabin number R614. I booked saver fare quite a long time ago and can’t recall if the no upgrade option was mentioned. However looking on the bright side it is an upgrade albeit it is a partially shaded balcony ( not a major issue as balcony usage will be somewhat limited by sailing to and from Southampton in November. Bit near to a launderette for my liking and no doubt there will be an early morning ‘call’ when the crew are putting out the sunbeds on Lido deck. Anyone had any experience of this cabin or one in the near vicinity?

on

On 9/12/2024 at 10:07 AM, Adawn47 said:

Good morning everyone.

A bright sunny morning here, not as cold as yesterday morning, but still a nippy 9c.

Frank had a restless night, so is still in bed at the moment. I've set the table and weighed out the blueberries for breakfast, so now I'm at a bit of a loose end. 

There are still some garden jobs to be done ready for winter, that the strange Autumn weather has delayed, so I think I'll see if we can get a little more done if the day stays bright and dry. When we were younger we would garden in all weathers and all seasons., Now we are weather dependent, but thankful we can still do it since we made the garden  easier to cope with. It's more of a pottering garden now than a gardener's garden if you know what I mean. Mowing, hedge trimming, pruning, weeding and planting up pots and baskets etc.

Well enough of my ramblings.

Have good day everyone whatever you do and wherever you are.

Take care.x

Avril

Hope you both have a lovely day today and that Frank has a more settled night tonight 

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peanut006 said:

Just posted above as I didn’t know how to clear it as it just appeared when I wanted to type something. I know I posted it a few days ago so no idea why it was there again? Does anyone know how I could have cleared it? 

Michelle

If it happens again it should give you the option to "Clear Editor "

and you always get 20 mins of posting to Edit anyway  

after that you could click report and request a Mod to delete it .

But seeing you have posted ..I hope @Adawn47 and Frank are doing OK.🙂

Edited by kalos
20 not 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did anyone watch Pointless tonight?

I aced it as two of the subjects were Queen songs and StarTrek. I ask you, who doesn’t know who Bilana Torres is, And she was pointless.

We are addicted to Pointless and watch every night but missed it tonight  because our favourite plumber (aka nephew) came to look at a problem that we have with our bath taps just as it started. 

DH is gutted that he missed it since I told him that Queen songs were one of the subjects as he is a big Queen fan.

• Like 1

I used to enjoy Pointless, but it is now so 'samey' with Xander parroting the same phrases each edition. I much prefer House of Games, where I really enjoy pitting my wits against the contestants, and was sad to discover, from my son, that obviously when I get answers more quickly than any of them it is simply because the Beeb do a time delay on the answers when editing the show.  I had thought I was clever beating them, especially on the last round.  (He only told me this because I usually beat him, of course).  One surprise is how often the well travelled actors etc. have no idea of world geography, although they travel extensively.  I do think it is good mental stimulation against the dreaded onset of dementia - at least I hope so.

The drivel is only here because of being awake at 3.30 in the morning - will have a cup  of tea and hope to go off again.  Have a good day, everyone - when it actually starts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Another early morning, I have convinced DH that he wants to go shopping for clothes this morning.  He really hates shopping but he can be tempted by breakfast in M&S so the odd unhealthy meal won't  domuch harm.

Have a good day.

After trawling Lakeside for trousers and dress jacket earlier this year,I ended up in Next.Quite pleased with the quality and pricing.

• Like 5

Up earlyish body clock still set to French time!

Got back yesterday evening after an horrendous journey from Folkestone to home, with endless roadworks of M20, M26 and M25, followed by an overturned HGV on the M40 which closed the motorway resulting in a substantial detour. 

We have had a wonderful 2 weeks in Brittany, although weather was mixed, visored a a number of the places we wanted to go to, also visited our friends who live there, who we haven’t seen for 8 years

It was a pleasure driving on the French roads, less traffic, no potholes and very few roadworks.

The French people we met were polite and when we tried our rusty French quickly asked if we preferred English. We got to know our French neighbours next to the cottage, 84 year old Claude dropped a load of tomatoes by one morning and as well as some onions and leeks, he would accept any payment. 

We left out overnight stop just outside of Berck at 9am to drive to the Eurotunnel terminal at Coquelles, took us an hour, arriving early we were offered an earlier train at no additional cost. Breezed through French Passport Control and U.K. Border, they had a pleasant lady at the both which made a change from who we have dealt with previously, no inane questions like where you have been etc. Just scanned passports and wished us a safe journey.

Going across was much slower as it was a Saturday morning and space at Eurotunnel at Folkestone is limited, it was never designed for the post Brexit world, a lot of construction going on for the incoming Entry Exit System. Hopefully by the next time we use the tunnel we will have been registered as we are looking to do a couple of city breaks in the next 6 months.

A few things we noticed whilst there

1.Pizza dispensers on the streets - providing cooked pizzas with 3 mins

2.Baguette dispensers 

3. Traffic lights at roadworks with countdown timers which let you know how long you had to wait.

4. How much more relaxed it is with no shops open on a Sunday, with people out with their extended families on picnic's etc

5. No mention Christmas in shops, restaurants etc

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 7

11 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did anyone watch Pointless tonight?

I aced it as two of the subjects were Queen songs and StarTrek. I ask you, who doesn’t know who Bilana Torres is, And she was pointless.

The love child of a Klingon and a Man City footballer?

• Haha 2

Morning to everyone,

Another bright sunny day at 10c but expected to reach 19c😃

Feeling a bit sorry for myself as have woken up with a swollen face and toothache! 

Meeting friends for a cuppa this morning and also need to join the queue at Boots for the pharmacy to stock up on my supplies for my trip next week.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable day.

• Like 4

I have just been on the school run.  Miss Grumpy was sat in the car when we were about 100 yards from the school gates moaning that she was going to be late if the traffic didn't start moving so I suggested that she get out and walk because there are road works with temporary lights further down, anyone would think that the kids today had never learned to walk. 

I did a u-turn and noticed that most of the cars behind me had teenagers in them including one of  my neighbours who had her 16 year old son in the car and we are only about 15 minutes walk from that school.  I used to have a 30 minute walk to the bus stop to catch the school bus so was out of the house just after 7am in all weathers in order to get to school on time.  How times have changed.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, lincslady said:

For those who have any interest in the Royal Family; surprising to see the (admittedly not very personal) birthday greetings for Harry.  I myself think it would be good if he could have a private personal reconciliation with his father, but hopefully no question of helping out with any royal duties. Most older Brits. I guess would not approve of that.

I wish Harry and Meghan all the very, very best. They seem to be doing well on their own tours.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Another early morning, I have convinced DH that he wants to go shopping for clothes this morning.  He really hates shopping but he can be tempted by breakfast in M&S so the odd unhealthy meal won't  domuch harm.

Have a good day.

Our M&S is a dangerous place. It's next to the Sketchers shop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Beautiful day here but at the rate I'm going I'll not be seeing much of it.  1 hour and 30 minutes and counting in the P&O queue trying to cancel my last remaining cruise with them. OH had suggested giving it a final chance and moving it to a one off Itinerary next November on Britannia.  This plus my 32 calls yesterday is rather hardening my resolve to say no more!

• Like 2