P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

I suspect a Halloween is a problem waiting to happen. Some parents will allow their kids to go door to door and the older ones will do it with or without their parents knowing. Parties are still likely to happen regardless of the rule of six. Perhaps, along with bonfire night ‘celebrations’ it should be banned well in advance with meaningful fines for gatherings of more than 6 and for parents of children going door to door for trick or treat regardless of whether they are aware that their children are doing it.

I sincerely hope that you are wrong, I can't imagine any of the parents that I know will take/allow their children to go door to door this year.  My niece told me last year that her children's school had told them only to go to houses where there was a pumpkin displayed outside indicating that the occupants were happy taking part.  She brought the children to our house and to my sisters houses but nowhere else.  She won't be taking the anywhere this year she is isolating because her chemo is weakening her immune system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I sincerely hope that you are wrong, I can't imagine any of the parents that I know will take/allow their children to go door to door this year.  My niece told me last year that her children's school had told them only to go to houses where there was a pumpkin displayed outside indicating that the occupants were happy taking part.  She brought the children to our house and to my sisters houses but nowhere else.  She won't be taking the anywhere this year she is isolating because her chemo is weakening her immune system.

I hope you are right and in your area you possibly are. I believe on our estate, it is already being talked about and some are adamant that their children will be going door to door. Many used the pumpkin idea last year but some older kids who came from a neighbouring estate ignored the system and even used some of the pumpkins as footballs. It maybe apocryphal, but apparently some parents brought their kids by car last year and sat in the pub whilst their children went door to door hoovering up sweets. They threw (or spat) ones they didn’t like into people’s gardens.
It is actually a very nice estate, and some had made a great effort with their costumes and were grateful for what they were given.
Coincidentally, we were supposed to be leaving Southampton on Ventura on October 31st this year but of course that isn’t happening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

My mrs gets her words mixed up sometimes.There's statues of a priest everywhere here,he supposed to have perfprmed miracles,his name was Padre Pio.My mrs said to me once I'll meet you at the peodo padre,true story.

True she met you there or true the Padre was a ....  Well you never know :classic_blush::classic_unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Ahh! Halloween, trick or treat, give us some money or we will firebomb your letterbox, as they say around here 😈

Don’t you just love these great celebrations of British culture🥴

Edited by pete14
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

10 points if you can tell me the singer of  the song "I'm the Leader of the Gang". 

PS I think you have your decades slightly wrong! 70s, not 60s.

You are no doubt correct. I didn't mention the names in case some folks took offence. I don't want to be banished to the naughty step🤣

18 hours ago, majortom10 said:

On a bit of a downer today we should have been boarding QM2 for a 28 nt cruise to USA/Canada.

Yes us too just been discussing what we would be doing on our sea day today.Would have been our first trip to Canada and I can only imagine how beautiful it would have been.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Yes us too just been discussing what we would be doing on our sea day today.Would have been our first trip to Canada and I can only imagine how beautiful it would have been.

I can help you out there. Canada is really beautiful. 2020 would have been our 3rd year running. Both East and West. Rockies are stunning. Hope that helps😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

But your mask is totally different to those silly half face efforts that don't even cover the chin. Which is why airlines insist on masks, not visors. 

The one I am using at work covers my face completely and is well below my chin - wouldn't wear it otherwise.  The only issue I am having is forgetting I am wearing it and throwing my tea / coffee all over it when I try to drink through it !

I was originally wearing a mask but I found that I was touching it too often and when taking it off (in areas where it is ok not to wear it) I was leaving it around. More chance of spreading and catching to be honest.

When we go into shops we always wear a mask though

I think I'm right in saying that masks are more about protecting others and visors more for protecting yourself? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

I hope you are right and in your area you possibly are. I believe on our estate, it is already being talked about and some are adamant that their children will be going door to door. Many used the pumpkin idea last year but some older kids who came from a neighbouring estate ignored the system and even used some of the pumpkins as footballs. It maybe apocryphal, but apparently some parents brought their kids by car last year and sat in the pub whilst their children went door to door hoovering up sweets. They threw (or spat) ones they didn’t like into people’s gardens.
It is actually a very nice estate, and some had made a great effort with their costumes and were grateful for what they were given.
Coincidentally, we were supposed to be leaving Southampton on Ventura on October 31st this year but of course that isn’t happening.

Don't send them our way 😉 Hate the whole thing that's come in from America. We have had elderly people telling us that they turn the lights off that and hide in their bedrooms because it frightens them so much. Ok if with sensible parents, but when on their own (which is a disaster waiting to happen) knocking on the door of vulnerable people (and probably complete strangers) then I fail to see it as fun. Will get off my soap boax now and pray it throws it down with rain on the 31st ! That keeps things quiet 😉

Re ventira - 😞 . The rumour is that they may have a 2 week lockdown over half term when the schools are closed. I think there would be a major backlash from all of the folks who moved holidays from July / August !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

Thanks (not) for reminding me what we are going to be missing, I was trying to put it out of my mind 😣

30 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Would have been our first trip to Canada and I can only imagine how beautiful it would have been.

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I can help you out there. Canada is really beautiful. 2020 would have been our 3rd year running. Both East and West. Rockies are stunning. Hope that helps😁

Good old Zapp :classic_biggrin: I bet that really helped her no end :classic_unsure:

Have you ever thought of working for the Samaritans ? I could well imagine you on the other end of a phone with 

Van Halens " Might as well Jump " blaring out in the background :classic_ohmy::classic_wacko::classic_smile:

Lindylooellalouise , Sorry to hear your trip to Canada is no more but in the near future you will get to go

to Canada .So hold on to that dream as you will be going and I'm sure it will be everything you imagined 

and hoped for . PS.Canada is always improving and so when you do get to go , I  look forward to reading 

about how much better it was than Zapps visits .:classic_smile: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Good old Zapp :classic_biggrin: I bet that really helped her no end :classic_unsure:

Have you ever thought of working for the Samaritans ? I could well imagine you on the other end of a phone with 

Van Halens " Might as well Jump " blaring out in the background :classic_ohmy::classic_wacko::classic_smile:

Lindylooellalouise , Sorry to hear your trip to Canada is no more but in the near future you will get to go

to Canada .So hold on to that dream as you will be going and I'm sure it will be everything you imagined 

and hoped for . PS.Canada is always improving and so when you do get to go , I  look forward to reading 

about how much better it was than Zapps visits .:classic_smile: 

Thanks fingers crossed I will get there one day 🤞🏻🤗

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Thanks fingers crossed I will get there one day 🤞🏻🤗

You will have a brilliant time. We went around Nova Scotia last year. Lobster to die for. We preferred the Rockies ( and Alaska ). We are all booked for next year. Norwegian Fjords was good, but you will miss Canada worst.😁

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

As with everything nowadays, it doesn't take long for a disruptive minority to spoil things for the majority. I remember when 'penny for the guy' was very popular and the children collected the money for  sparklers etc. Some of the 'guys' were really well made and then traditionally burnt on the bonfire. Now long gone. Spoilt by the ones who harrassed people for money  outside shops, and then disappeared inside to buy cigarettes. 

Avril

Avril

• Like 3

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

I don't answer the door to them anyway. That way I can keep the sweets for myself. If I have to answer the door I wear a couple of different masks. One is a 60's shell suited DJ and the other a 60's glam rock singer. That gets them gone. More sweets for me.🤣🤡

Why am I not surprised zap? 🤣

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

We did similar cruise many years ago on QE2 but only 14nts from New York and returning to New York and flew across the Atlantic. Canada is beautiful and love Quebec and Halifax and absolutely gutted that it hasnt happened especially as QM2 is our favourite ship.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We did similar cruise many years ago on QE2 but only 14nts from New York and returning to New York and flew across the Atlantic. Canada is beautiful and love Quebec and Halifax and absolutely gutted that it hasnt happened especially as QM2 is our favourite ship.

28 nights onboard QM2 would have been fantastic really hoping Cunard do a similar cruise in 2022👍

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

As with everything nowadays, it doesn't take long for a disruptive minority to spoil things for the majority. I remember when 'penny for the guy' was very popular and the children collected the money for  sparklers etc. Some of the 'guys' were really well made and then traditionally burnt on the bonfire. Now long gone. Spoilt by the ones who harrassed people for money  outside shops, and then disappeared inside to buy cigarettes. 

Avril

Avril

I remember some kids used to stand outside a nearby pub offering to watch the owners cars while they went in for a drink.

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I remember some kids used to stand outside a nearby pub offering to watch the owners cars while they went in for a drink.

The majority of kids back then were more trustworthy than they are now.

Avril

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Just had a picnic watching the sea.

It has been heavily raining all morning.

Some of these seagull's in my photo had half my stottie.

Pauline has a hairdresser's appointment in 15 minutes but it is only 5 minutes drive away.

IMG_20201003_130218.jpg

Nice to see you're enjoying the same kind of weather as me. One quick question Graham. What's a stottie?🤔 I'm a bit worried now. I've just checked and the last time Andy posted was Sunday.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 1