P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

24 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

It feels like everyone is a little brighter today.  Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of the end, as worsisname said yesterday.  Early days but 🤞

Yes, it has been a real boost. It's the step forward that we were waiting for, and might be the route out of the pandemic.  Very good news 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

You’re absolutely right on both points.

And the inestimable Michael Spicer made the same point yesterday:

pls don't give the vaccine to the govt, they'll probably accidentally inject all of it into a single elephant or something

Many years ago, we needed some booster shots, as it was recommended for our upcoming holiday in Tunisia.  We took the day off work, just in case we had a reaction.. We went to the doctors and he gave us the shot, and we went home quite happily. Then about two hours later, we both literally slumped in our chairs as we felt really ill. We were like it for the rest of the day and my arm was agony where I had the injection.  It was later that we discovered that the doctor shouldn't have given it to us in one shot, but one third at first and the other two thirds a couple of weeks later. We'd both had enough to fell an elephant (or other large animal)!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Have you never had fish and chips?, surely you must have.

Of course. I never gave those a thought though. Although  to be honest we've not had takeaway fish & chips for at least 20 years now give or take. They sit heavy and I can taste them for days afterwards. I was meaning Chinese, Indian, pizzas, burgers, chicken type takeaways. If we want to eat any of those I make them at home so I know what's in them, or more precisely, what's not in them😉

Avril

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Have you never had fish and chips?, surely you must have.

54 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

can honestly say neither Frank nor I have ever had a takeaway. 

Avril

1 hour ago, kalos said:

,I keep well away from processed foods and takeaways which are a thing of the past. 

When I mentioned takeaways , I was talking in the sense of burger joints pizza,currys chinese,sandwich and any other fast food,pre made etc.

Fish & chips although one is one of the takeaway foods that I will share a portion of with the Mrs, but on very rare occasions,.

I have to avoid salts/sugar and food high in fat , so like Avril /Snow Hill we tend to opt for foods cooked ourselves . We choose any pre packed food on the traffic light system keeping away from as many reds and ambers on the labels as possible.

Edited by kalos
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, kalos said:

When I mentioned takeaways , I was talking in the sense of burger joints pizza,currys chinese,sandwich and any other fast food,pre made etc.

Fish & chips although one is one of the takeaway foods that I will share a portion of with the Mrs, but on very rare occasions,.

I have to avoid salts/sugar and food high in fat , so like Avril /Snow Hill we tend to opt for foods cooked ourselves . We choose any pre packed food on the traffic light system keeping away from as many reds and ambers on the labels as possible.

I have Meniere’s Disease. One of the things that seems to work for me when the vertigo is active is to keep my salt intake down, so I tend to make most things from scratch, so I know what’s in my food. I make pizzas myself, but tonight we are going to have a pizza delivered - I haven’t had vertigo for nearly 4 years, so my illness is currently not active, and we fancy a treat for a change. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Of course. I never gave those a thought though. Although  to be honest we've not had takeaway fish & chips for at least 20 years now give or take. They sit heavy and I can taste them for days afterwards. I was meaning Chinese, Indian, pizzas, burgers, chicken type takeaways. If we want to eat any of those I make them at home so I know what's in them, or more precisely, what's not in them😉

Avril

I knew what you meant Avril and I must say I do agree with you, home cooking is always the best.

Eric

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I agree completely Avril.  If you look at the labels on processed foods it is frightening.  We never go to fast food outlets even if we are out for the day.  We had my niece's daughter for the day last week because her school had closed down year 6, she was astounded when she realised burgers, sausages and fries don't live in our freezer 😂😂

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

How about a nice pasty in Cornwall. Go on, you know you want to ,🤣

Edited by zap99
Spell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It did. Then he realised he was having a  mad unwowwzlike moment and deleted it pretty quickly. 😁

Avril

I was about to comment about pizzas, but noticed that I was repeating what others had already said.

I would just defend certain ready meals - for a few years I worked for a company that supplied a large number of ready meals to M&S. The quality of the ingredients and the cleanliness of the production area was fantastic - whilst I would not suggest that anyone should eat a diet totally of ready meals, eating the odd one is no crime, and I certainly would never condemn anyone who eats them. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I was about to comment about pizzas, but noticed that I was repeating what others had already said.

I would just defend certain ready meals - for a few years I worked for a company that supplied a large number of ready meals to M&S. The quality of the ingredients and the cleanliness of the production area was fantastic - whilst I would not suggest that anyone should eat a diet totally of ready meals, eating the odd one is no crime, and I certainly would never condemn anyone who eats them. 

I wasn't commenting on the quality of ingredients nor the cleanliness during manufacture of ready meals Only takeaways that are usually full of additives. If you read my post again, I was condemning no-one

Avril

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I wasn't commenting on the quality of ingredients nor the cleanliness during manufacture of ready meals Only takeaways that are usually full of additives. If you read my post again, I was condemning no-one

Avril

Monosodiumglutomaterpoopery ?

12 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Sorry - I know you were not condemning anyone.

I am however, slightly intrigued about the additives that you say are in take aways.  What specific additives are you talking about ?   MSG is the obvious additive, but apart from that I'm not aware of other additives specifically related to take away foods as distinct from processed foods.

Edited by wowzz

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

A family member worked for a company who supplied M&S and indeed their production line was spotless for M&S products.

The same couldn't be said for the company's other production lines for other supermarkets or own label which were no where near the same standard.

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A family member worked for a company who supplied M&S and indeed their production line was spotless for M&S products.

The same couldn't be said for the company's other production lines for other supermarkets or own label which were no where near the same standard.

As is always the case, you get what you pay for.

To be fair, the othe production lines should still have met current UK trading standards quality requirements.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry - I know you were not condemning anyone.

I am however, slightly intrigued about the additives that you say are in take aways.  What specific additives are you talking about ?   MSG is the obvious additive, but apart from that I'm not aware of other additives specifically related to take away foods as distinct from processed foods.

E numbers(colourings) flavour enhancers, preservatives, antioxidants high saturated fat content , artificial sweeteners, high salt content emulsifiers, basically anything that is artificial.  When you're young these things don't matter, unless you have have any health problems problems, but as you get older you realise you're not immortal and have to be more aware of what you put into your body. If you avoid most processed foods and takeaways and prepare your own meals then you are personally in charge of what goes into your body. 

Avril

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

E numbers(colourings) flavour enhancers, preservatives, antioxidants high saturated fat content , artificial sweeteners, high salt content emulsifiers, basically anything that is artificial.  When you're young these things don't matter, unless you have have any health problems problems, but as you get older you realise you're not immortal and have to be more aware of what you put into your body. If you avoid most processed foods and takeaways and prepare your own meals then you are personally in charge of what goes into your body. 

Avril

I totally agree.

After my heart attack last December my diet has changed drastically after reading a lot about nutrition,processed foods,additives,e numbers, saturated fats etc etc.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I can back that up from personal experience when I was a student, working in a large bakery in Ipswich. It made bread under various labels, but the only one treated differently was M&S.

For M&S everything had to be perfect. For everything else, rather less so. They dared not risk that precious M&S contract.

Well remember the time someone dropped a ballpoint pen into the large vat of dough. Impossible to find it, so we were told to watch out for any broken pieces as they came through into the bread tins. Some bits we found, but the rest went through. I also remember being told that if it had been M&S bread being produced, the whole vat of dough would have been dumped.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

I wouldn't disagree. However, as you were talking specifically about take away meals, I would say that if you buy a take away pizza or burger from a reputable chain, and choose wisely ( no bacon or ham for example) you would avoid the vast majority of ingredients in your "hit" list.