P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I wasn't commenting on the quality of ingredients nor the cleanliness during manufacture of ready meals Only takeaways that are usually full of additives. If you read my post again, I was condemning no-one

Avril

Just to add that when people say that we should avoid processed food  they fail to realise that anything cooked anywhere, whether in a restaurant, a takeaway or in your own kitchen, it does become processed.

But additives are really only used in food which needs a long shelf life, your local takeaway does not need additives, unless you are going to count spices and seasoning. Most ready meals sold in supermarkets or M&S, have a very short shelf life and are kept in the chiller aisles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can back that up from personal experience when I was a student, working in a large bakery in Ipswich. It made bread under various labels, but the only one treated differently was M&S.

For M&S everything had to be perfect. For everything else, rather less so. They dared not risk that precious M&S contract.

Well remember the time someone dropped a ballpoint pen into the large vat of dough. Impossible to find it, so we were told to watch out for any broken pieces as they came through into the bread tins. Some bits we found, but the rest went through. I also remember being told that if it had been M&S bread being produced, the whole vat of dough would have been dumped.

Sure it wasn't the BICcie mix.Would have been written off anyway.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I can back that up from personal experience when I was a student, working in a large bakery in Ipswich. It made bread under various labels, but the only one treated differently was M&S.

For M&S everything had to be perfect. For everything else, rather less so. They dared not risk that precious M&S contract.

Well remember the time someone dropped a ballpoint pen into the large vat of dough. Impossible to find it, so we were told to watch out for any broken pieces as they came through into the bread tins. Some bits we found, but the rest went through. I also remember being told that if it had been M&S bread being produced, the whole vat of dough would have been dumped.

I didn't know they had ball pens that long ago ?🤔

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

In the "old days" I used to hear stories of human thumbs in meat pies.I could never put a finger on where they came from though.

Surely you would notice a human thumb in a meat pie, unless it was chicken of course. 😏🥴

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Surely you would notice a human thumb in a meat pie, unless it was chicken of course. 😏🥴

Perhaps they were told never to bite their nails.You're right though it probably tastes like chicken.

Equally I know somebody that works for a company in Kent who import fruit/vegetables from Spain and package for supermarkets. They do all the major supermarkets including M&S, Aldi and Lidl and there is no grading of fruit/vegetables just sizing and they are all the same just packaged differently for the individual supermarkets and individually priced. So in effect some fruit/vegetables are no different whether from M&S or Aldi just the price and come from same wholesalers in Spain.

Edited by majortom10

33 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

just sizing

Which can make a significant difference. If you buy a bag of potatoes from Aldi, the size variation is massive - by operating a loose size spec, they can "hoover" up all the unwanted sizes that Tesco, Waitrose etc reject, thus getting a better price, some of which results in a cheaper end price for the consumer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I wouldn't disagree. However, as you were talking specifically about take away meals, I would say that if you buy a take away pizza or burger from a reputable chain, and choose wisely ( no bacon or ham for example) you would avoid the vast majority of ingredients in your "hit" list.

If you say so wowzz, but even using your examples of a burger or pizza, the fat content alone would be enough to clog up the arteries of an elephant. 

Avril

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If you say so wowzz, but even using your examples of a burger or pizza, the fat content alone would be enough to clog up the arteries of an elephant. 

Avril

But that is a totally different subject. I was reacting to your incorrect comment that all take away meals are full of additives, preservatives etc.

And you do of course realise that as humans we all need to ingest a certain amount of fat in order to survive - the secret is to ingest the correct amount.

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Which can make a significant difference. If you buy a bag of potatoes from Aldi, the size variation is massive - by operating a loose size spec, they can "hoover" up all the unwanted sizes that Tesco, Waitrose etc reject, thus getting a better price, some of which results in a cheaper end price for the consumer.

I tend to prefer a range of sizes in my spud bags, it gives me big ones for baking, small ones for boiling and then the misshapen ones get pealed for mashing.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

But that is a totally different subject. I was reacting to your incorrect comment that all take away meals are full of additives, preservatives etc.

And you do of course realise that as humans we all need to ingest a certain amount of fat in order to survive - the secret is to ingest the correct amount.

Also the correct kind of fat. I know I'm coming across as a complete health nut, but I'm not. Both Frank's parents died of heart problems, as did my Dad. My mum had a stroke after years with high BP problems and died within 9 hours. As we know, they  are conditions which can be inherited, and unfortunately Frank and I have inherited them. So our food choices are self-preservation, and I know what to eat, what to avoid and what to eat in moderation. I've had to do it for a long time now and fully intend for us to get a Telegram from King William 

Avril.

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Also the correct kind of fat. I know I'm coming across as a complete health nut, but I'm not. Both Frank's parents died of heart problems, as did my Dad. My mum had a stroke after years with high BP problems and died within 9 hours. As we know, they  are conditions which can be inherited, and unfortunately Frank and I have inherited them. So our food choices are self-preservation, and I know what to eat, what to avoid and what to eat in moderation. I've had to do it for a long time now and fully intend for us to get a Telegram from King William 

Avril.

I hope I am still around then to congratulate you both Avril.

I totally get where you are with food and agree 100%.

Regarding alcohol I have had the equivalent of 2 glasses of wine a month since my heart attack 11 months ago.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope I am still around then to congratulate you both Avril.

I totally get where you are with food and agree 100%.

Regarding alcohol I have had the equivalent of 2 glasses of wine a month since my heart attack 11 months ago.

I'm sure you will be. We can be a little more relaxed regarding alcohol. We share a bottle of wine at the weekend and have the odd JD now and again. The doctor says that that's ok providing we're careful. Everything in moderation.😉

Avril

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm sure you will be. We can be a little more relaxed regarding alcohol. We share a bottle of wine at the weekend and have the odd JD now and again. The doctor says that that's ok providing we're careful. Everything in moderation.😉

Avril

I used to drink hoppy beer but I needed to lose 2 stones in weight  after my Heart Attack so stopping drinking beer was necessary.

I am at my targeted weight now and have been for around 5 months.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Equally I know somebody that works for a company in Kent who import fruit/vegetables from Spain and package for supermarkets. They do all the major supermarkets including M&S, Aldi and Lidl and there is no grading of fruit/vegetables just sizing and they are all the same just packaged differently for the individual supermarkets and individually priced. So in effect some fruit/vegetables are no different whether from M&S or Aldi just the price and come from same wholesalers in Spain.

Living down here in Cornwall we have a number of farms that grow and package vegetables for the major supermarkets, Morrisons, Tesco, Asda, etc. Woe betide, if you happen to get behind one of the articulated lorries in the lanes, going to or from the farms!

Well I am back from my injection of either the Covid vaccine or saline.  The appointment that should have taken about 2 hours actually took 3.5 hours because there were so many people there.  I really hope that when we all get the actual vaccination they are better organised.  Last time I had no reaction at all but I have a really sore arm this time even though it is the same thing that they gave me both times.

Good luck for Friday Pete.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

Well I am back from my injection of either the Covid vaccine or saline.  The appointment that should have taken about 2 hours actually took 3.5 hours because there were so many people there.  I really hope that when we all get the actual vaccination they are better organised.  Last time I had no reaction at all but I have a really sore arm this time even though it is the same thing that they gave me both times.

Good luck for Friday Pete.

Josy, you and Pete have my heartfelt thanks, and my wife's, for what you're doing.  Your personal efforts, time, inconvenience and fortitude are changing lives, and I sincerely thank you for it.  One day my wife will I hope be able to hug our grandchildren again.  🙂

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Josy, you and Pete have my heartfelt thanks, and my wife's, for what you're doing.  Your personal efforts, time, inconvenience and fortitude are changing lives, and I sincerely thank you for it.  One day my wife will I hope be able to hug our grandchildren again.  🙂

Mine too, and well said Harry. Thank you so much, Josy and Pete.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry, I don't have grandchildren but I know exactly what you mean, my niece's 2 children think that we are an extra set of grandparents and we are finding it hard not seeing much of them. I was actually pleased that my niece's daughter had last week off school isolating after a member of staff had had symptoms during half term and we got to have her for 5 hours on Friday while my niece went for her Chemo session.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pete14 said:

I never buy pies from a baker that is next door to a hairdresser. I saw this film once, but I won't put you off your tea😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

I too would like to add my thanks, to both Josy and Pete, for their help towards finding a vaccine for this disease.

I would like to add mine as well. There is so much at the moment that is negative, it really is a shot in the arm ( pun intended) to see folk being so selfless. Their efforts will benefit millions. Nothing can be greater than that.

• Like 3