P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Quite right Harry, there should be room for everyone. 

My coping mechanism is to understand what’s going on around me, and to have facts and figures to hand.  I also enjoy other people opinions on what is going on - whether I personally agree with them or not.

As I was involved in yesterday’s conversation ( and that’s what it was) I now feel abashed that I might have ‘driven people away’, and as a result don’t really feel like posting today.🤷‍♀️

Precisely. Couldn’t agree more. Please continue to post - your posts are always polite, reasoned and informative, adding to the fund of information.

Room for all of us, all topics, provided it stays polite, which it always does. 👍

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Quite right Harry, there should be room for everyone. 

My coping mechanism is to understand what’s going on around me, and to have facts and figures to hand.  I also enjoy other people opinions on what is going on - whether I personally agree with them or not.

As I was involved in yesterday’s conversation ( and that’s what it was) I now feel abashed that I might have ‘driven people away’, and as a result don’t really feel like posting today.🤷‍♀️

I agreed totally with your posts yesterday and think you are a great poster and friend.

Graham.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

In the wake of Phil Greens empire collapsing, I was going to suggest Kalos tries to take Lionheart off his hands. It might just be big enough for a small group cruise?

I tried John but he only wanted me to join his pension scheme and give him $150m just 

to borrow his boat while he swans away for Christmas , think he said he was going to 

the tropical part of Ireland :classic_wacko::classic_wink:

The good news is if any one thinks we could do this up , not the same as Lionheart 

but .... :classic_unsure:       old-fishing-boat-ron-cantrell.jpg.6ca3d347ff49f88c0eb60331c4989865.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Precisely. Couldn’t agree more. Please continue to post - your posts are always polite, reasoned and informative, adding to the fund of information.

Room for all of us, all topics, provided it stays polite, which it always does. 👍

I completely agree that there is room for us all and for a broad range of topics.

I do however think that from time to time there are posts which are just plain nasty and posters whose one intent is to stir up trouble. I don’t agree that it is always polite. There are some really sarcastic and superior comments made, thankfully a minority.

I have no problems with genuine debate on any subject.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Do whatever makes you happy we all deserve to have the best Christmas that we can under the circumstances.🎄

We are fortunate, we will be fed and watered on Xmas day at our younger son's with his family, then we do it all again on boxing day at our older son's house, when it will be his turn to have his teenage Granddaughters from his first marriage.

In recent years we have had a family get together at our house in early January, combining it with our younger son's birthday.  Clearly that's not going to be be very likely this year, so no need for us to even buy extra Xmas food, although I have put a couple of boxes of mince pies on next weeks Sainsbury's order.

• Like 4

Morning all, foggy and miserable hear in North Kent. Sorry too many posts to read through since I’ve last been on but there seems to be lots of back and forth over the same points.

We are tier 3 in Kent now and will only have my parents over for one day over the 5 day Christmas extravaganza! It breaks my heart not to see my grandson but my son and his partner have decided not to choose anyone for their bubble as they wouldn’t know who to leave out and it seems the sensible thing to do. We all want this thing to end and it will all end sooner if people accepted the rules.

In Kent places like Tonbridge with hardly any cases are upset they are in tier 3 but I can understand why they have been put in tier 3 as if people nearby went there to shop and eat their cases would soon shoot up.

I’d rather a nothing Christmas and being able to see my family in January and February but looks like that’s not happening.

Sorry very fed up today.

• Like 10

Here’s a little question for those who still send Christmas cards, particularly those who post their own round the neighbourhood.

We’ve always hand delivered all the cards we send to friends in our village - getting on for a hundred. £65 for 100 cards to Royal Mail is a fair chunk!

This year that’s probably illegal in Tier 3.  So we’re looking a little more carefully at the list this year. Sticking a card through 100 letter boxes involves little more than a walk. Spending £65 for someone with a Yorkshire background takes a little more thought.

Should we bite the bullet and hand £65 to Royal Mail, or be a little more ‘selective’ this year? Probably the latter.

Anyone else going through a similar though process? Or maybe I’m just too tight fisted.........🤔

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We are fortunate, we will be fed and watered on Xmas day at our younger son's with his family, then we do it all again on boxing day at our older son's house, when it will be his turn to have his teenage Granddaughters from his first marriage.

In recent years we have had a family get together at our house in early January, combining it with our younger son's birthday.  Clearly that's not going to be be very likely this year, so no need for us to even buy extra Xmas food, although I have put a couple of boxes of mince pies on next weeks Sainsbury's order.

Don't forget to wrap those Halloween chocolate treats  up as Christmas gifts John :classic_wink:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Aah, soaked in alcohol... 😊

Thank you for picking up the mood.. 

I have 2 weeks off, so I can start to make things. 

Michelle and the girls make loads of stuff for Christmas and I usually try something different in the kitchen.. 

Any suggestions of what I can make will be much appreciated... 

Andy 

Do you make your own Pettit fours?

That’s always fun and a few basic ingredients can make a lot of different sweets.

Apricots dipped in chocolate / apricots chopped fine bound in chocolate

Dates stuffed with golden marzipan/ marzipan with almonds or walnuts on top

Peanut butter bound with dates and coco powder rolled in chopped nuts

Fondant creams

Dry cranberry dipped in chocolate 

Nuts dipped in chocolate

And if you are feeling more adventurous make caramels or puff candy with a few simple ingredients.

Lots of lovely, pretty little mouthfuls.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Here’s a little question for those who still send Christmas cards, particularly those who post their own round the neighbourhood.

We’ve always hand delivered all the cards we send to friends in our village - getting on for a hundred. £65 for 100 cards to Royal Mail is a fair chunk!

This year that’s probably illegal in Tier 3.  So we’re looking a little more carefully at the list this year. Sticking a card through 100 letter boxes involves little more than a walk. Spending £65 for someone with a Yorkshire background takes a little more thought.

Should we bite the bullet and hand £65 to Royal Mail, or be a little more ‘selective’ this year? Probably the latter.

Anyone else going through a similar though process? Or maybe I’m just too tight fisted.........🤔

We post the vast majority of our Xmas cards but we walk around our neighbours houses and push their cards through the letterboxes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do you make your own Pettit fours?

That’s always fun and a few basic ingredients can make a lot of different sweets.

Apricots dipped in chocolate / apricots chopped fine bound in chocolate

Dates stuffed with golden marzipan/ marzipan with almonds or walnuts on top

Peanut butter bound with dates and coco powder rolled in chopped nuts

Fondant creams

Dry cranberry dipped in chocolate 

Nuts dipped in chocolate

And if you are feeling more adventurous make caramels or puff candy with a few simple ingredients.

Lots of lovely, pretty little mouthfuls.

Eglesbrech, can I adopt you as my favourite cousin!!!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines best friend is into crafts and makes fantastic cards.

My late mam knew she was dying with cancer in 2011 and got a fabulous birthday card with a cruise ship theme made for me.

Pauline promised my mam she would give the card pride of place every year on my birthday and it is lovely to see it every year as it was the last thing she ever wrote and she died 6 days after my 55th birthday 9 years ago.

Graham.

Graham  I don’t celebrate Christmas or birthdays because of my religion, but that brought a tear to my eye , what a lovely thing for Pauline to do every year for you and your lovely late mum 

sandra 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grapau27 said:

We post the vast majority of our Xmas cards but we walk around our neighbours houses and push their cards through the letterboxes.

Hi Graham. Hope you’re both well today.  

We’d normally do that, but being a very law abiding citizen I’m concerned that entering someone else’s property, even to deliver a card, might breach the regulations. I know nobody would report it, and that it’s unenforceable, but that’s not really the point.

Maybe there’s an exemption somewhere to cover it. Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.  Enjoy your day.  🙂

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, foggy and miserable hear in North Kent. Sorry too many posts to read through since I’ve last been on but there seems to be lots of back and forth over the same points.

We are tier 3 in Kent now and will only have my parents over for one day over the 5 day Christmas extravaganza! It breaks my heart not to see my grandson but my son and his partner have decided not to choose anyone for their bubble as they wouldn’t know who to leave out and it seems the sensible thing to do. We all want this thing to end and it will all end sooner if people accepted the rules.

In Kent places like Tonbridge with hardly any cases are upset they are in tier 3 but I can understand why they have been put in tier 3 as if people nearby went there to shop and eat their cases would soon shoot up.

I’d rather a nothing Christmas and being able to see my family in January and February but looks like that’s not happening.

Sorry very fed up today.

So sorry that you won't get to see your son and his partner and grandson.  I hope that most people will make sensible decisions so that we don't get a massive spike but I don't think that they will.

Like you our families have decided to do nothing for Christmas just to try to stay safe.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Graham  I don’t celebrate Christmas or birthdays because of my religion, but that brought a tear to my eye , what a lovely thing for Pauline to do every year for you and your lovely late mum 

sandra 

Thanks Sandra we were all very close and all our late parents are sadly missed.

Graham.

• Like 1

I should have said that  the sausage rolls sound delicious, and very inventive.  I do admire all the goodies everyone is making for Christmas - used to make cakes and puddings, but old age and  less good health means I don't any more.  But there are some excellent bought ones, and I don't feel guilty about buying them.

Regarding the person who has the excellent health - I confess to being probably a bit smug in younger years, up to about 70, at never having anything serious wrong, but one bout of something like cancer or a serious heart problem, say,  makes you a bit more humble!   And appreciative of what you have still got.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A lot of your card recipients will be having the same thoughts Harry .

Have a good look at your list and see which ones you could send an 

E-mail  to them , others maybe a very nice Christmas text .

Friends and family you wish to post to then use the post or even like

I am doing for my wife's card this year is to buy the card online and let 

some funky pigeon deliver it as well . That way no card shops for me

or buying stamps or trying to catch the post box pick up time .

Which keeps me safe indoors as well .

Hope this helps you :classic_smile:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hi Graham. Hope you’re both well today.  

We’d normally do that, but being a very law abiding citizen I’m concerned that entering someone else’s property, even to deliver a card, might breach the regulations. I know nobody would report it, and that it’s unenforceable, but that’s not really the point.

Maybe there’s an exemption somewhere to cover it. Or maybe I’m just overthinking it.  Enjoy your day.  🙂

Thanks Harry we are both well.

We just push the cards through the neighbours letterboxes just like the postman does and don't knock on the doors to speak so nothing in the rules to prevent us doing this.

I hope you and your family are well.

Graham.

• Like 5

Just now, grapau27 said:

Thanks Harry we are both well.

We just push the cards through the neighbours letterboxes just like the postman does and don't knock on the doors to speak so nothing in the rules to prevent us doing this.

I hope you and your family are well.

Graham.

I agree Graham I won’t be sending a card in the post to my immediate neighbours, the post here is dreadful at the moment, I wouldn’t trust it to get there in time.

I have a couple of friends who send me email cards and they aren’t the same. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

A lot of your card recipients will be having the same thoughts Harry .

Have a good look at your list and see which ones you could send an 

E-mail  to them , others maybe a very nice Christmas text .

Friends and family you wish to post to then use the post or even like

I am doing for my wife's card this year is to buy the card online and let 

some funky pigeon deliver it as well . That way no card shops for me

or buying stamps or trying to catch the post box pick up time .

Which keeps me safe indoors as well .

Hope this helps you :classic_smile:

Moonpig is great to make up special cards. I did them this year for my hubby’s and son’s birthday with my photos on them!

I even did one for my grandson because there aren’t any ‘grandson 2’ ones!

• Like 3

Absolutely no problem with discussion about anything , I enjoy taking part, but unfortunately it does occasionally become condescending and righteous. 

Obviously some don't see this and think it is fair game to make others feel  uncomfortable, stupid or ignorant... 

Andy 

• Like 3