P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

She fell out of favour somewhat after an appallingly rude, condescending put down of a woman from the West Country named Gwen Troake. And quite right too.

I think you'll find that there are still some chefs who have a similar attitude towards other chefs or cooks, but now they're given their own programmes instead. How tmes change.

Avril

• Like 1

Changing the subject somewhat, I don’t suppose there are any Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog) fans, if that’s the right word, in here are there?

Sadly died last year but a lovely man and a great comic and musician. Reminded by an excellent new three parter on Radio 4 Extra:

Neil Innes - Dip my brain in joy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py8l/episodes/guide

Diane Morgan celebrates Neil Innes, the music & comedy legend of The Bonzo Dog Band & The Rutles. Occasionally known as the 7th Python & regularly found with a duck on his head.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Any of the other ladies on here rather like Rick Stein? Never tried his recipes, but he's got a brain and a lovely voice. Not that I'm influenced by either of these things, of course.🤞

Not Rick Stein, but the ones I favour and tend to use more recipes from are Delia Smith, James Martin, Ken Hom and for the most delicious italian desserts, La Dolce Vita by Ursula Ferrigno. A fabulous book for anyone with a  taste for decadent desserts.

Avril

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I want to defend Jamie Oliver a bit. 

I know he is annoying but he is a man's chef.. 

By that, I mean his recipes are easy to follow and portion size is relevant, without having to look like a work of art.. 

I will often dig out a Jamie recipe for my odd forays into the kitchen, especially at Christmas.. 

Andy 

Funny enough I used a Jamie Oliver recipe for the Yorkshire puddings today. A certain someone in our house wasn’t sure that they would rise! 

C8651DF6-9569-48BD-A0E7-C803529E8567.jpeg

Pukka!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

Absolutely fantastic and I would eat most of it 😋😋 hope it works ok for you , it’s one thing that I have never attempted choux pastry but love profiteroles 

It wouldn't last long in our house either.  It is easy to make profiteroles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Changing the subject somewhat, I don’t suppose there are any Neil Innes (Bonzo Dog) fans, if that’s the right word, in here are there?

Sadly died last year but a lovely man and a great comic and musician. Reminded by an excellent new three parter on Radio 4 Extra:

Neil Innes - Dip my brain in joy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py8l/episodes/guide

Diane Morgan celebrates Neil Innes, the music & comedy legend of The Bonzo Dog Band & The Rutles. Occasionally known as the 7th Python & regularly found with a duck on his head.

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band !!! now there's a blast from the past. The Canyons of your Mind, Loved it. He had a lovely voice.

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eddie99 said:

Didn’t everybody love the Bonzos?

Everybody I did did.  We saw them on tour a few years back in Leicester, still as good (if older) than ever.  Our kids still love them - it's the sort of thing that gets passed on! 

Those R4 Extra programmes about Neil Innes show what a genius he really was.  Very much underestimated, because honesty and modesty were his strongpoints.

4 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Talking celebrity chefs, our favourite is probably James Martin. Our first cruise was on Ocean Village 2 and his name was linked to the speciality restaurant (think it was called Le Bistro). It was and remains the best speciality dining experience we have ever been in on any ship. The whole experience was excellent and our one regret was that we didn't pay to eat there every night. 

James Martin was on Britannia's maiden, he did some cookery classes but I tried to book one on the day that they went on sale but after spending a ridiculous length of time trying to book I was unsuccessful, such is my luck.  We saw him on the tender at Monaco where he left the ship and I wasn't impressed, he was very scruffy and ignored an old lady who tried to speak to him but I have to admit that my guilty pleasure on Saturday morning is to watch his show.  I have one of his cook books but rarely use it because everything is so heavy on butter and cream.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have one of his cook books but rarely use it because everything is so heavy on butter and cream.

Like you, Josy, I wouldn't make any of these desserts on a day to day basis, or even monthly, just when family/friends come here to eat. Nothing quite like an occasional spot of butter and cream (and chocolate)! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Like you, Josy, I wouldn't make any of these desserts on a day to day basis, or even monthly, just when family/friends come here to eat. Nothing quite like an occasional spot of butter and cream (and chocolate)! 

We all need unhealthy things from time to time otherwise how boring would our food be ?  I have James Martin's Desserts book sitting right next to the Health Heart cook book on the shelf in my kitchen. 😇😇

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We all need unhealthy things from time to time otherwise how boring would our food be ?  I have James Martin's Desserts book sitting right next to the Health Heart cook book on the shelf in my kitchen. 😇😇

Suspect if one ate lettuce and cabbage daily and not much else, that wouldn't be terribly healthy either - what a pity some expert doesn't announce research proving just that.😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

James Martin was on Britannia's maiden, he did some cookery classes but I tried to book one on the day that they went on sale but after spending a ridiculous length of time trying to book I was unsuccessful, such is my luck.  We saw him on the tender at Monaco where he left the ship and I wasn't impressed, he was very scruffy and ignored an old lady who tried to speak to him but I have to admit that my guilty pleasure on Saturday morning is to watch his show.  I have one of his cook books but rarely use it because everything is so heavy on butter and cream.

And that was his bloody Mum.LOL.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Oh wowzz you just told me the results 🥺I normally watch it in the morning with a cup of tea , don’t watch it Sunday night because other half is watching NFL for 9 hours 🙃

Sorry Purdey.

Tell your OH to stop wasting his time watching NFL.  10 seconds of activity followed by a time out and 3 minutes of adverts!

If all else fails, watch on your laptop.

Sneak preview - Jamie voted out next week, when he accidentally dyes his hair red, and doesn't recognise himself in the trainng room.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sunday night NFL is red zone that’s what we watch no TV adverts and all action it’s not the full games you watch but important bits when ther in the red zone then Monday night and Thursday night full games that he watches, I don’t mind I’m normally on this forum catching up on stuff , but his team our doing well 

go Green Bay packers 😁

19 hours ago, ann141 said:

I have a photo of me and him when I was onboard Britannia a few years ago.He was just signing books (and serviettes!) for 1 day and when I saw the queues I decided not to bother.However towards the end of the day as I had finished a Zumba class I noticed that the queue was very short so joinedI have a photo of me looking very dis shevelled and sweaty and him looking(probably) as if he had done enough autographs for the day

Might have been on the same cruise, Sept 2015 when they were filming Battle Chefs on Britannia? ( not that James Martin was part of that he was promoting his new book). Got the photos somewhere, nice man but then again so is Marco, always came to have a chat with us.

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Might have been on the same cruise, Sept 2015 when they were filming Battle Chefs on Britannia? ( not that James Martin was part of that he was promoting his new book). Got the photos somewhere, nice man but then again so is Marco, always came to have a chat with us.

James Martin was on our translantic cruise (just the last 3 days I think) on Britannia either 2017 or 2018 (I can't remember which!)

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Been to the eye infirmary for pre-op assessment at 8.30am.

Home now so we are going to a garden centre then probably have a drive to the beach.

Graham.

Hope all went well with the assessment Graham. The sun's shining here today, so if it's the same where you are it will be a good day for an outing. 

Avril

I've just seen your photos. Lovely, but I can't see Rudolph, he must be resting up for later.🎅

Edited by Adawn47
  • Thanks 1