P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

As a kids our parents used to get us an Easter egg from Thornton's

Which had our names in white icing . We thought we had the world.

The Thornton's shop in our town centre was just confectionery until

they closed and relocated to our retail park selling balloons, cards as 

well as the confectionery but we preferred the old shop where some 

of the goodies were made in-store . Our hearts go out to their staff ,

after a  year like we have all had and now this for them  . 

I have bought Thornton’s Easter eggs for our grandchildren many times. I agree they think they are special with their name on and Thornton’s chocolate is lovely. 
I have to say I like Hotel Chocolate as well. I notice Next are selling Hotel Chocolate gifts now 
Michelle

• Like 2

It is sad that Thorntons shops are closing, my parents used to buy us a Thorntons Easter egg every year when we were young. I used to buy them for my nephew and nieces and up until now I have bought them for their children.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

There are so many of them.

• Does the crew sleep onboard?
  • How far above sea-level are we?
  • Is the island surrounded by water?
  • Does the ship generate its own electricity?
  • Does this elevator go up as well as down?
  • What time’s the midnight buffet?
  • What do they do with the ice sculptures when they melt?
  • Was the fish caught this morning by the crew?
  • Do we have to stay up until midnight to change our clocks?
  • How do we know which photos are ours?
  • Is the mail brought on by plane?
  • Is the doctor qualified?
  • Should I put my luggage outside the cabin before or after I go to sleep?
  • Does the Sun always rise on the left side of the ship?
  • Does the ship dock in the middle of town?

thank you, you have given me a good laugh

6 hours ago, davecarr said:

My favourite quote from a cruise ship passenger, do the crew get off the ship at night

Classic one from us was in a lift with a group of elderly ladies who wanted to go to the buffet. This was at the pointy end of the ship and our lift was at the very back.

"How do we get to the buffet in this lift?"

We tried to explain that it only went up and down and that they would have to go up to their deck and then walk, but I think they had been watching too much Star Trek and wanted it to go in a horizontal line too 😉

You had to be there as it was so funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, davecarr said:

thank you, you have given me a good laugh

A much needed laugh reading some of this tonight 🙂

Celebrity cruises ---- complaint because there were no celebrities onboard 😉 

Someone booked a balcony cabin and when they embarked they were not happy as they did not have a view of the sea, just some buildings 😉

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

It is sad that Thorntons shops are closing, my parents used to buy us a Thorntons Easter egg every year when we were young. I used to buy them for my nephew and nieces and up until now I have bought them for their children.

Totally agree - what a shame. Companies that are so loved and have stood no chance. 😞

35 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Oh no, Thornton’s toffee is the best. I have a lovely cheesecake recipe using Thornton’s toffee, looks like no cheesecake!!!

Michelle

Not sure whether they are shutting manufacture down, the report just said all shops. We used our Thornton's cafe at least twice a week and bought their products for Christmas and Easter gifts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Not sure whether they are shutting manufacture down, the report just said all shops. We used our Thornton's cafe at least twice a week and bought their products for Christmas and Easter gifts.

Looks like they are going down the online route , going with the times .... 

Dear Customers,

We wanted to share an important update with you all relating to our Thorntons retail stores.

Like many companies, we have been operating for a long time in a tough and challenging retail environment. We have been committed to transforming and growing a successful Thorntons retail estate; this has included significant investments to open new format stores and cafes and ensuring we had stores in the right locations.

However, changing dynamics of the high street, shifting customer behaviour to online, the ongoing impact of Covid-19 and the numerous lockdown restrictions over the last year - especially during our key trading periods at Easter and Christmas - has meant we have been operating in the most challenging circumstances.

Unfortunately like many other retailers, the obstacles we have faced and will continue to face on the high street are too severe. Despite our best efforts we have taken the difficult decision to go into full consultation to start the permanent closure of our retail store estate. We understand that this will be an uncertain and concerning time for our colleagues and we will actively support them during this period.

As customers continue to change the way they shop, we must change with them. We have seen a strong growth in Thorntons.co.uk and this will remain a key focus for us in continuing to provide you with your favourite Thorntons ranges, including our unique personalisation offering. In addition, we continue to invest in building our brand in grocery channels with our partners in order to meet the demand from you, our loyal customers.

We remain committed to our iconic Thorntons brand and will continue to invest further in the future potential to ensure we evolve with the times.

We would like to thank you for your continued support.

https://www.thorntons.co.uk/retail-store-statement.html

• Like 1

Thornton’s was a family firm making quality products. It expanded, then cheapened its products and made matters even worse by selling through supermarkets.

Now it’s just another Ferrero brand.

What a sad decline. Much like Cadbury - once quality British companies cheapening their products and no longer British owned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

My late mam and dad stayed in a hotel in the Scottish Highlands about 20 years ago and said a particular couple were complaining about everything which soured the atmosphere.

On departure this couple were smirking and pleased with themselves saying they got their money back from the hotel.

They said they enjoyed the hotel but by complaining they made everyone miserable and got a free stay.

Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore Graham. They may have got a refund  but proved they have no class. If we have a genuine complaint, we speak privately and quietly to Reception or waiter etc. We would never be so crass as to cause a ruckus and embarrass ourselves... ..or anyone else for that matter.

Avril

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Absolutely nothing surprises me anymore Graham. They may have got a refund  but proved they have no class. If we have a genuine complaint, we speak privately and quietly to Reception or waiter etc. We would never be so crass as to cause a ruckus and embarrass ourselves... ..or anyone else for that matter.

Avril

We are the same Avril.

It is very rare we need to complain and by being nice and pleasant always results in a positive outcome.

Nearly every one of my 200+ TripAdvisor reviews are 5* reviews.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We are the same Avril.

It is very rare we need to complain and by being nice and pleasant always results in a positive outcome.

Nearly every one of my 200+ TripAdvisor reviews are 5* reviews.

I think too many people watch 'Four in a Bed' and start looking for things to complain about as soon as they get to a hotel! Similarly on a cruise there are always some people who will find fault with some things .Accepting nothing can be 100% perfect I always look for the positive of a hotel or cruise ship and as a result usually have an enjoyable holiday

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I think too many people watch 'Four in a Bed' and start looking for things to complain about as soon as they get to a hotel! Similarly on a cruise there are always some people who will find fault with some things .Accepting nothing can be 100% perfect I always look for the positive of a hotel or cruise ship and as a result usually have an enjoyable holiday

That is my way of thinking too Ann.

We are very fortunate to cruise and stay in nice hotels and eat in nice restaurants and we fully appreciate this.

Graham.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

They have been owned by Ferrero Rocher  since 2015.

They are concentrating on online sales and sales through supermarkets and various department type stores.

Boundary Mill have always got big stacked displays of Thornton's boxed chocolates.

Out favourite was always the nougat casket of Thornton's continental chocolates which was only available in their branded stores.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

They have been owned by Ferrero Rocher  since 2015.

They are concentrating on online sales

Problem is Graham, if we order 2 coffee's and 2 toasted teacakes online it will be cold by the time we get it😁.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Problem is Graham, if we order 2 coffee's and 2 toasted teacakes online it will be cold by the time we get it😁.

I liked the hot chocolate with marshmallows topping with the free couple of chocolates.

I wonder it Starbucks and or Costa take over any of Thornton's stores?

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Well I am devastated, Thornton's are shutting down all their shops.  

The one in Barnsley was closed over 2 years ago. You can still buy a some in supermarkets though. Asda did have some Easter eggs too but you have to quick, as they sell out fast.

I prefer Lindt if anyone's interested😁

Avril

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

There are those that are only happy if they're moaning ann. 😏

Avril

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

There are those that are only happy if they're moaning ann. 😏

Avril

I think you are spot on, for some it has almost become a sport.

Dont get me wrong if I’m not happy I will say something and get it sorted out but I prefer not to have to.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I Agree it will be.

Thorntons are going to rely on online sales and in supermarkets and department stores.

We used to like the cafe plus the personalising of names etc on chocolate eggs and boxed chocolates like their continental range.

We had a tour of the Thorntons factory at Belper Derbyshire a few years ago, before they were taken over by the Italian Company.

It's only a matter of time before they close them altogether and move production abroad just like what happend to Terrys of York.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

We had a tour of the Thorntons factory at Belper Derbyshire a few years ago, before they were taken over by the Italian Company.

It's only a matter of time before they close them altogether and move production abroad just like what happend to Terrys of York.

Maybe but with a turnover of Euro10.5 billion, I suspect that Ferrero Rocher might just be a tad more experienced in how to market chocolates. 

Hi everyone, checking the weather around here and it's already 10.c

but with a 5.c chill and plenty of rain . So it's another day of sat in the 

house humming that tune to myself 🎵Busy doing nothing 🎵

All that talk of chocolate got me thinking back to my younger years

when I always had some on my person .In school eating in class was 

forbidden but that never stopped me. The other kids  always used to

ask me how I managed to sneak chocolate into the classroom?

Well ...I had  a few Twix up my sleeve back then .:classic_wink:

It's great to see the infection rates still falling in the UK thanks to all

those jabbers ,we are going in the right direction that's for sure.

Lets get back to something like normal .Last night there was a knock

at our door , upon answering a torch shone in my face, a voice screamed

at me ....."STAY RIGHT THERE, PUT THOSE HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM ! ..

DON'T MOVE!" That pizza delivery man took this distant payment thingy very

seriously if you ask me . I wouldn't mind but it was for next door :classic_unsure:

Hope you all have a good day and whatever you're doing today , take care 

and keep safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 8

13 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That is my way of thinking too Ann.

We are very fortunate to cruise and stay in nice hotels and eat in nice restaurants and we fully appreciate this.

Graham.

That's my attitude Graham. My parents worked hard, had nothing and died relatively young. Always food on the table but little else. The life I lead now is a world away and unfortunately they were not around to enjoy some it.

Times are tough but at least we are not worrying about where the £5 is coming from.

• Like 5