P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

49 minutes ago, zap99 said:

About a year ago Wowzz pointed out that the M27 was more dangerous than the buffet. On Thursday we will avoid the buffet on Britannia, but give the M27 a very wide berth. I never ignore expert advice.🤣

As an ex white van London plumber driving in Italy,it's a similar LH v MV experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The wasp exterminator has just left.  I sent DH up into the loft this afternoon to get a fan out and when he switched the light on he could see some wasps buzzing around.  The guy who came out told us that we have caught them early because there are only a few and that they usually swarm in once a queen has settled.  I just hope that he is right and they have all gone and don't come back, he said that if we have any more trouble within 2 months he will come out and treat again free of charge.  🙏

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The wasp exterminator has just left.  I sent DH up into the loft this afternoon to get a fan out and when he switched the light on he could see some wasps buzzing around.  The guy who came out told us that we have caught them early because there are only a few and that they usually swarm in once a queen has settled.  I just hope that he is right and they have all gone and don't come back, he said that if we have any more trouble within 2 months he will come out and treat again free of charge.  🙏

Oh gosh - that was very lucky! X

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

Horner is a bitter little man with a short memory. His boy does just the same.

This was a quote from Mr Horner after his boy ran up the inside of Hamilton at the Barcelona GP this season. Short memory as you say:

image.png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DamianG said:

This was a quote from Mr Horner after his boy ran up the inside of Hamilton at the Barcelona GP this season. Short memory as you say:

image.png

My son was one of the many volunteer Marshalls (those in the sweltering orange overalls) at Silverstone yesterday. I am just happy he was marshalling another area of the track and didn’t have to deal with that accident. There was an accident near his post earlier in the weekend mind you but not so bad.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

My son was one of the many volunteer Marshalls (those in the sweltering orange overalls) at Silverstone yesterday. I am just happy he was marshalling another area of the track and didn’t have to deal with that accident. There was an accident near his post earlier in the weekend mind you but not so bad.

Full credit to your son & all the other volunteers who keep the show in the road. Considering the extortionate ticket prices & huge attendance it makes one wonder why they need volunteers? I completely understand that they do it for love of the sport but I’m sure they could be paid a little something?

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Hats off to him. The Marshalls are the unsung heroes of Motorsport. British Marshalls help out all over the World and without them and folk like St Johns ambulance, racing wouldn't take place .

Spell check thought I said unhung heroes. Thank goodness I spotted that one🤣

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Full credit to your son & all the other volunteers who keep the show in the road. Considering the extortionate ticket prices & huge attendance it makes one wonder why they need volunteers? I completely understand that they do it for love of the sport but I’m sure they could be paid a little something?

They get the odd perk, such as free camping, but using volunteers ensures they get those committed to doing their bit for the sport as a whole, not as a way of earning a little extra. Similar to those who work for the likes of RNLI I guess.

The marshals they select for the GP work throughout the year at other race meetings elsewhere in the country. The two weeks before Silverstone, he was at Anglesey track and before that, Oulton Park. 

Edited by pete14
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, zap99 said:

About a year ago Wowzz pointed out that the M27 was more dangerous than the buffet. On Thursday we will avoid the buffet on Britannia, but give the M27 a very wide berth. I never ignore expert advice.🤣

Crikey, you have a good memory !

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I encountered wasps in lofts numerous times in my plumbing career.I became an expert at frazzeling them in midair with my blowtorch.When you have to work up there all day I had little other choice I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Good morning, isn't it hot !! I can sleep but my other half is struggling, sleeping in another bedroom with a fan blowing all night, which would drive me mad !

The Hamilton driving debate, well I've seen a lot worse go unpunished but we are in an age of safety comes first, rightly, so the penalty was fair and he overcame it, great race.

Now a little favour from those of you that drive to Southampton. We are on the Iona Sunshine Cruise, departing on the 28th August, the dreaded Bank Holiday weekend. Driving down from Penistone, near Barnsley the day before, Friday. We are setting of early, 6am, to avoid traffic, but the route, bearing in mind it is Friday and Bank Holiday is my concern. One direct route would take me past Silverstone, but it is the British Motor Cycle weekend, so will want to avoid. Another would use the Fosse Way, M40 and down, another would be M1, M25, M3, longer but according to the AA site about the same driving time. I am even thinking about going the day before and stopping on the way.  Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

Stay safe.

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Good morning, isn't it hot !! I can sleep but my other half is struggling, sleeping in another bedroom with a fan blowing all night, which would drive me mad !

The Hamilton driving debate, well I've seen a lot worse go unpunished but we are in an age of safety comes first, rightly, so the penalty was fair and he overcame it, great race.

Now a little favour from those of you that drive to Southampton. We are on the Iona Sunshine Cruise, departing on the 28th August, the dreaded Bank Holiday weekend. Driving down from Penistone, near Barnsley the day before, Friday. We are setting of early, 6am, to avoid traffic, but the route, bearing in mind it is Friday and Bank Holiday is my concern. One direct route would take me past Silverstone, but it is the British Motor Cycle weekend, so will want to avoid. Another would use the Fosse Way, M40 and down, another would be M1, M25, M3, longer but according to the AA site about the same driving time. I am even thinking about going the day before and stopping on the way.  Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks.

Stay safe.

Personally I would take the M1,M25,M3 . As you say there is likely to be traffic and restrictions around silverstone which would rule out the direct route through there. The other route around the M42/M40  could also be busy with people trying to get to Silverstone from the North and West.

I'd take a flask and some extra sandwiches whichever route you take 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Stay safe.

We are driving down to Southampton from the North West very soon and I would always travel down the day before.  To me, the worry of the 'what ifs' is just not worth the £50 or so we'll spend on a Premier Inn room.  Your worry levels might be different to mine though 😉

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

We are driving down to Southampton from the North West very soon and I would always travel down the day before.  To me, the worry of the 'what ifs' is just not worth the £50 or so we'll spend on a Premier Inn room.  Your worry levels might be different to mine though 😉

But bobstheboy is already driving down the day before.

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

We are travelling the day before, I stated that.

27 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Stay safe.

We've stayed at Daventry Court Hotel on the way down a few times, from there you can get on the M40 which is sensible when there is any event at Silverstone. Last time we stayed at Brandon Hall Hotel just outside Coventry leaving us a similar drive for embarkation day (around 2 hours without pushing it).

We once drove M3, M25, M1 coming home to avoid Car Fest but it didn't go too well for us, the main reason being the very slow traffic around the M25 which added a considerable length of time to our journey. That was our only experience of it on a single occasion so others may know better than me.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 1

Can someone please remind me of the Dyson fan(s) that were recommended on here a while ago? I don't really want to add to Mr Dyson's wealth but we really need to cool down our bedroom at bed time. I'm a really light sleeper so a silent fan would be essential.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Stay safe.

Going down the M1-M40-34 looks a good plan if you do decide to go the day before Bob and personally we would look at pulling up at Winchester overnight at the premier Inn just off 

the motorway  with a big Tesco extra store to refuel your motor and buy your bits and bobs.

Also it's a nice walk about ten minutes into Winchester it's self which we enjoyed a look around .

Next morning  It's 2 minutes back to the motorway and a steady half hour- ish run down into Southampton dependant on traffic . Have a great time whatever you decide upon .

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

Going down the M1-M40-34 looks a good plan if you do decide to go the day before Bob and personally we would look at pulling up at Winchester overnight at the premier Inn just off 

the motorway  with a big Tesco extra store to refuel your motor and buy your bits and bobs.

Also it's a nice walk about ten minutes into Winchester it's self which we enjoyed a look around .

Next morning  It's 2 minutes back to the motorway and a steady half hour- ish run down into Southampton dependant on traffic . Have a great time whatever you decide upon .

& if Verstappen happens to come up on your outside on the motorway just back off and leave plenty of room so that he can cut across you! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

Stay safe.

We have tried many routes over the years but now always go M1, A34, M3. It is the most direct and avoids the M25. It usually takes us around 4 hours at a steady pace. Bank holiday will likely add a bit on. You just need a bit of good luck whichever route you take.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have tried many routes over the years but now always go M1, A34, M3. It is the most direct and avoids the M25. It usually takes us around 4 hours at a steady pace. Bank holiday will likely add a bit on. You just need a bit of good luck whichever route you take.

That's our normal route too Phil but any event at Silverstone really makes a difference so I think Bob's right to avoid the A43 this time. 

I quite like the run down the A43 with all the roundabouts but my in-laws always grumble about it. I thought I am a fairly smooth driver but maybe they disagree!

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

In my commuting days (albeit some years ago!) the traffic on a Friday morning before a BH was relatively light. Those having a long weekend would normally travelled on the Thursday night, whilst those leaving on a Friday, did so after lunch.

Leaving Yorkshire early on the Friday morning should mean arriving in Southampton well before the afternoon exodus begins.