P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I would rather donate personally to an organisation than via some charities, where the majority of donations is used on 'overheads' and 'free gifts'.

Avril

We have sponsored a guide dog puppy this year and will certainly do it again, it is a charity very close to my heart, they do an amazing job, these dogs are life savers. I look forward to my "free gift" which consists of a couple of photos throughout the year. Another charity which I find hard to believe that they don't get any funding from the government is Air Ambulance!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

It being another late October type day in early September here in North Norfolk I am cold and indoors with little to do, so have relied on CC P&O board to fill in time. I also donate my fuel tenner. Plus my clubcard points get converted, donate the East of England Co-op divi and some other loyalty bits and bobs as well as various subscriptions. My question is - is it only our generation that does this? I am 67. My niece and nephew will both do things like run a 5K etc but see those monies (not the fuel allowance) as for them. Obviously thats now and still means they are "donating" but will it cover giving in their future? Just curious

Years ago, there were numerous committees around here (kidney group, SIDS group, etc etc, there still is a Cancer committee) and they used to hold several small fundraising events over the course of the year - sale of work, coffee mornings etc. They mainly consisted of retirees and housewives. Nowadays, with most women of working age in paid employment, people tend to hold one-off fundraising events with work colleagues or leisure groups or choirs etc, and probably raise far more than the committees in the past ever did. My children (in their 20s) donate quite a lot online to these events as they’re on social media and they’ll often send us a link if they think it’s something of interest to us. So I think it’s a very different way of raising money these days. And there’s always donations in remembrance which raise a huge amount as everybody knows everybody! 

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It may be worth attaching a reminder email to your initial email Jane.

Best wishes.

Graham x 

I did that on Monday Graham - no response! I'll carry on though. The more they ignore, the more I'll pursue. Jane.x

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I did that on Monday Graham - no response! I'll carry on though. The more they ignore, the more I'll pursue. Jane.x

Hopefully they will respond soon Jane.

Maybe they hope you will go away.

I for one will never sail with them.

Graham x.

• Thanks 1

I have sailed with MSC twice before in Med & Caribbean. Ships are fab & our cabin was lovely both times and the price was amazing. In my opinion the food it not good enough, you would not starve but not comparable with any other cruise line. I would like to sail on their new ship but maybe only for a few nights. I like to know my food will be fab & enjoyable. However I have to say I did enjoy the shows in the theatre 

Michelle

52 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I have sailed with MSC twice before in Med & Caribbean. Ships are fab & our cabin was lovely both times and the price was amazing. In my opinion the food it not good enough, you would not starve but not comparable with any other cruise line. I would like to sail on their new ship but maybe only for a few nights. I like to know my food will be fab & enjoyable. However I have to say I did enjoy the shows in the theatre 

Michelle

We like MSC and I would second your views, however we thought the pizza and ice cream were excellent, which you would expect from an Italian cruise line. We were scheduled to cruise Japan and middle east on Bellissima last year and will do that cruise when the opportunity arises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

Our Sarah was on the MSC Fantasia during her  maiden season in 2009 and liked the ship but said some of the Italian crew were not nice. 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

I am not going to comment on the MSC experience per se,  but like many of  us , I lurk on numerous boards. 

Undoubtedly MSC have the worst customer relations reputation of any cruise line. People are waiting  for months for refunds, even now.  P&O are fantastic in comparison.

They are the equivalent to Ryanair  - if all goes well,  fine.  If there are problems,  you are on your own.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am not going to comment on the MSC experience per se,  but like many of  us , I lurk on numerous boards. 

Undoubtedly MSC have the worst customer relations reputation of any cruise line. People are waiting  for months for refunds, even now.  P&O are fantastic in comparison.

They are the equivalent to Ryanair  - if all goes well,  fine.  If there are problems,  you are on your own.

Albeit I don't disagree on MSC customer service, but I hardly think P&O customer service has exactly been good of late.

18 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Albeit I don't disagree on MSC customer service, but I hardly think P&O customer service has exactly been good of late.

I wouldn't disagree,  but the number of complaints about MSC customer services on other forums is unbelievable.  

The real issue is that P&O are slow to respond due to insufficient staff, whereas MSC are deliberately ignoring customer complaints. 

Obviously I can't tell you where to look, but you will probably have a good idea!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We like MSC and I would second your views, however we thought the pizza and ice cream were excellent, which you would expect from an Italian cruise line. We were scheduled to cruise Japan and middle east on Bellissima last year and will do that cruise when the opportunity arises.

I agree about the pizza & ice cream, the best I have had on a ship

Michelle

• Like 2

Morning all, dull dull dull again here! Fed up of it! Supposed to be getting some decent sunshine soon but I’m not holding my breath.

When I worked at the bank we had loads of fundraising going on all the time. They started having a ‘charity of the year’ but that was a bit annoying as they often choose really big ones that get a lot anyway. We used to do stuff for the local hospice etc.

Anyone watch ‘Ambulance’ amazing and heartbreaking series, I often cry! Was great when the staff donated their unwanted clothes for refugees. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

We have sponsored a guide dog puppy this year and will certainly do it again, it is a charity very close to my heart, they do an amazing job, these dogs are life savers. I look forward to my "free gift" which consists of a couple of photos throughout the year. Another charity which I find hard to believe that they don't get any funding from the government is Air Ambulance!

I'm not saying all charities, only some. I donate to the PDSA and make regular donations to our local orphanage, where the money goes directly to where it was intended. It's shocking when you realise how many important services have to be funded through charities.

Avril

• Like 4

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, dull dull dull again here! Fed up of it! Supposed to be getting some decent sunshine soon but I’m not holding my breath.

When I worked at the bank we had loads of fundraising going on all the time. They started having a ‘charity of the year’ but that was a bit annoying as they often choose really big ones that get a lot anyway. We used to do stuff for the local hospice etc.

Anyone watch ‘Ambulance’ amazing and heartbreaking series, I often cry! Was great when the staff donated their unwanted clothes for refugees. 

I love that programme Sue. Like you, I often cry - this week especially. Yes, the collection of clothes for the refugees was heart-warming. I love the "togetherness" of the whole team and the way they are all aware of their colleagues' needs and feelings. It doesn't half put life into perspective. At my surgery, we have a paramedic on secondment for a year and he is cut from the same cloth - kind, empathetic, and so caring. Have a good Sunday. Best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

No complaints from me about Virtuosa itself Michelle. It is a beautiful ship and the cleaning operation was superb. The food was a huge diappointment to us- except for the ice cream parlour which was utter heaven! Jane.x

• Like 2

Morning all.

I don't want upset you Sue, but the weather is beautiful in my small corner of the universe this morning. A typical autumn morning, a little cool first thing, but now the sun is up and it looks as though a bright, pleasant day is in the offing at long last. 

I've had a very 'fruitful' morning so far, picked, blanched and frozen some more beans, picked some pears that were ready and some apples and blackberries for a pie for tonights dessert. It's amazing how the weather lifts my mood.

Have an enjoyable day everyone whatever you have planned.

Stay safe and take care.

Avril

• Like 5

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

+3 for the ice cream Phil and + 2 for the pizza from my girls ( I didn't have pizza). I hope you are able to do your Japan cruise in the not too distant. Jane.x

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

No complaints from me about Virtuosa itself Michelle. It is a beautiful ship and the cleaning operation was superb. The food was a huge diappointment to us- except for the ice cream parlour which was utter heaven! Jane.x

Hi Jane,in Tropea Calabria there's an icecream shop that does garlic flavour.Not sure if he does Octopus,I'll ask him.Booking the Eurotunnel today for Friday,yay.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Morning all.

I don't want upset you Sue, but the weather is beautiful in my small corner of the universe this morning. A typical autumn morning, a little cool first thing, but now the sun is up and it looks as though a bright, pleasant day is in the offing at long last. 

I've had a very 'fruitful' morning so far, picked, blanched and frozen some more beans, picked some pears that were ready and some apples and blackberries for a pie for tonights dessert. It's amazing how the weather lifts my mood.

Have an enjoyable day everyone whatever you have planned.

Stay safe and take care.

Avril

Here in North Norfolk it is yet again quite autumnal BUT the nice weatherman says it will be high 20s tomorrow so finally the garden furniture I waited for almost half a year for from John Lewis will finally get sat on. No coffee table though M&S make John Lewis look speedy allegedly arriving 20/9 think I ordered it in April.

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'm not saying all charities, only some. I donate to the PDSA and make regular donations to our local orphanage, where the money goes directly to where it was intended. It's shocking when you realise how many important services have to be funded through charities.

Avril

I agree Avril. The Hospice movement for example only receives 25% funding from the government yet their provision to to the terminally ill is exceptional. Were it not for fund-raising events, the kindness of volunteers and donations, they couldn't survive. Jane.x

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Hi Jane,in Tropea Calabria there's an icecream shop that does garlic flavour.Not sure if he does Octopus,I'll ask him.Booking the Eurotunnel today for Friday,yay.

No no no Brian, wrong on every level! Please don't ask him on my account. I managed a salt and vinegar ice cream on Ventura but it wasn't for me. Good luck with your booking today. Jane.x

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Garlic flavour icecream??  Erm..... NO!!   I thought salt and vinegar icecream was weird enough.😬

Pleased you're finally getting away to your second home bro. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and enjoy the sunshine.

Watch out for the stray animals 😉

Sis

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Here in North Norfolk it is yet again quite autumnal BUT the nice weatherman says it will be high 20s tomorrow so finally the garden furniture I waited for almost half a year for from John Lewis will finally get sat on. No coffee table though M&S make John Lewis look speedy allegedly arriving 20/9 think I ordered it in April.

We must have been lucky I went on a waiting list for John Lewis garden furniture in April. I receive a email one evening that it was back in stock.

I ordered it straight away  and it was out of stock the next day, it was delivered a few days later.

41 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Garlic flavour icecream??  Erm..... NO!!   I thought salt and vinegar icecream was weird enough.😬

Pleased you're finally getting away to your second home bro. I hope it all goes smoothly for you and enjoy the sunshine.

Watch out for the stray animals 😉

Sis

Cheers sis,it's a lot easier now,no tests required in France and Switzerland just a LFT for Italy.Just walk into most pharmacies in France test done and certified 25 mins and 25 Euro job done.Our friends have just drove thru Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy and weren't asked for anything,typical.Keep you posted,cheers,bro.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

I agree Avril. The Hospice movement for example only receives 25% funding from the government yet their provision to to the terminally ill is exceptional. Were it not for fund-raising events, the kindness of volunteers and donations, they couldn't survive. Jane.x

It's the same for GOSH. J M Barrie bequethed all rights to Peter Pan to the hospital. I donate to them as I have a special connection to GOSH, if not for them I wouldn't be here. My mum had a brain operation there when she was a child, which ultimately saved her life.

Avril

• Like 3