****CARNIVAL CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE???

Host Carolyn

Here I am busier than ever.  Our Governor stated he will not close things down and with the Holidays coming up I am so glad.  I have activities all week and need to get ready for Thanksgiving.  We have also been doing a lot of landscaping.  Had a front walk poured since none of the previous owners bothered to have that done.  I can now work on the front flower beds and get them in good shape.  My husband is having another large shed built in the coming weeks so he is very busy.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.  Michigan again.  I'm surprised there's so little activity here with other states and cities closing things left and right.

I'm surviving.  Cases are showing signs of stabilizing, at a very high level.  The virus is circling closer.  The vaccine can't come soon enough.

Statewide Florida COVID cases are up to 53,000 last week.  Florida was ranking #3 in highest statewide virus cases.  Thankfully, the rise in deaths isn't as severe.

Since Florida voted red, and the Gov is White House friendly, we expect to be in the 1st group of states to receive one of the vaccines after FDA approval.  Perhaps that may counter the Gov's hands off approach to the virus.  

• Thanks 1

Getting worse here but people refuse to mask up for the most part😟😟, we are having dinner on my son's front porch just the 4 of us.  I have not  been IN their house since February. They have a "bar", licensed as a store and rebuilt huge patio last spring with tables etc 6 feet apart. No inside socializing etc.  Sadly here I think it's going to take people knowing someone who has passed, been in ICU etc to make a dent in their stupidity

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Governor Whitmer closed bars and inside dining again for three weeks.  Naturally there were some that refused to comply.  Yesterday they found out the consequences of not complying.  They lost their liquor licenses and were heavily fined.  One in particular was a Big Boy restaurant that got fined $5000.  The rest were fines of $1000.  There'll probably be more lawsuits over these before it over.  

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving to all on this thread!  Sooo - we finally made it down to our Florida condo for 5 days after 9 months!  Truthfully, I was shocked to see what was going on in Fort Lauderdale.  Very few masks being worn, bars and restaurants jammed, jammed, and more jammed.  Total disregard for others when walking down Las Olas in regards to social distancing/masks.  I actually did a count - passed 60 people, and only 8 were wearing masks. Everyone was making jokes that the people wearing masks must be New Yorkers.   We scouted out restaurants to eat in our first day down, picking and reserving tables that were very socially distanced.  The places we ate at understood we were "neurotic NYers"   and went out of the way to help us feel comfy with our table choices.  I will say every server in each of the restaurants was fantastic - masks and gloves worn. I will also say that it would have been very hard for us to feel "safe" if we were eating and people were passing next to us on the sidewalk within a foot with no masks.   We got rapid tested (neg) in FLL as per NY orders within 72 hours of going back to NY, and will now quarantine 3 days and get tested on the 4th day here.  It was very hard to find a place in FLL to do a rapid test, and we paid $139 each when we finally did.  NY does free covid testing - even rapid tests are free.  We were planning to try to get down to FLL again the end of Dec., but may just skip it until a vaccine is out.  Unfortunately I expect a big spike in cases from the upcoming holidays.  Stay safe and healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just found this topic -interesting to see how other states are coping. Here in West Palm Beach, FL. we have to wear a mask at public places (good). Inside dining (spaced accordingly) has been allowed since June, you wear the mask to your table & then when you leave your table. Buffets are open, you also wear the mask when you go to the buffet. They have gloves & your own serving spoon available. Since we like to eat out, we've been doing it since June. Felt very safe, they were extremely clean, & waiters have masks always. Down here we are lucky that many restaurants are large, unlike NYC etc . Also have gone to many of the large chains like Olive Garden & Chilis. Larger places have it easier to separate the tables & keep the distancing. Publix & Target have been the best in keeping the distancing & cleanliness. I also go mid week, like 1pm when it is much quieter. And many times, I have the aisles to myself.

• Like 1

Our Governor closed down inside dining for three weeks.  The restaurant owners sued stating that they couldn't make a living on just take out.  The judge just ruled that the order stands.  He stated that it makes no sense to wear a mask into the restaurant, then take it off to eat.  He also stated that after the three weeks, he would take it up with health experts before he would determine if the ban should continue.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Our Governor closed down inside dining for three weeks.  The restaurant owners sued stating that they couldn't make a living on just take out.  The judge just ruled that the order stands.  He stated that it makes no sense to wear a mask into the restaurant, then take it off to eat.  He also stated that after the three weeks, he would take it up with health experts before he would determine if the ban should continue.  

That is just so sad.  Hopefully they can work their way up the food chain of judges and get a favorable ruling.  NW Florida can always use good non-chain restaurants.  Everything is open here and no state income tax.

• Like 2

Hi guys.  Michigan here.  A few news stories that have I noticed and have affected me:

• Cases are generally down (but very high), deaths are up (and very, very high), and the positive rate is stabilizing (but too high)
  • Our emergency order has been extended through December 20 with no changes.  TPTPB will take a second look then, but I'm skeptical that they will do much that close to Christmas.
  • Other Big University has an outbreak among their football team so they had to cancel their game this weekend with a rival university from another state

Thanks everyone for the updates.  Be safe and be careful.  Help is coming!

Destroying a lock down from 10:00 PM to 5:00 AM through January 8 on this coming friday as cases are really surging here and still a lot of people not wearing masks. I'm sure they will be very upset about new year's eve as bars and restaurants have to stop serving alcohol at 9:00 PM and everything has to be closed by 10 except food, pharmacy and fuel. Last I checked there were 8 covid positive guys on the Panthers squad so wondering if they will be playing the Broncos Sunday

• Like 2

I feel so bad for everyone who is under lock downs.  My area is pretty much the same as in June when everything opened up.  Our county held it's Christmas parade Saturday night.  Since some nearby counties had canceled their parades we had more floats.  Tomorrow night we are going to a drive through light attraction.  They won last year on The Light Fight so it should be good.  It has been cold here and we have had to cover plants. I am not a fan of cold weather but it should be warmer the rest of the week.1188921935_Christmasparade.thumb.jpeg.53c483fb3155b82674ab1fec050411e7.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keksie said:

I feel so bad for everyone who is under lock downs.  My area is pretty much the same as in June when everything opened up.  Our county held it's Christmas parade Saturday night.  Since some nearby counties had canceled their parades we had more floats.  Tomorrow night we are going to a drive through light attraction.  They won last year on The Light Fight so it should be good.  It has been cold here and we have had to cover plants. I am not a fan of cold weather but it should be warmer the rest of the week.1188921935_Christmasparade.thumb.jpeg.53c483fb3155b82674ab1fec050411e7.jpeg

Glad to see life in your part of Florida is "normal."  I am so used to seeing everyone (well- most people) around my neck of the woods wearing masks, it shocked me to see no one wearing masks in the picture!  Can't wait until the time we can do that without worrying about covid.   Cases rising in NY.  Gov. Cuomo giving the state 5 days to get the numbers under control, or he will shut down indoor dining again.  (we still haven't dined inside a restaurant).  Some areas here on Long Island are "orange zone" - schools must go virtual.  Hoping the covid vaccine makes its way here asap.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Glad to see life in your part of Florida is "normal."  I am so used to seeing everyone (well- most people) around my neck of the woods wearing masks, it shocked me to see no one wearing masks in the picture!  Can't wait until the time we can do that without worrying about covid.   Cases rising in NY.  Gov. Cuomo giving the state 5 days to get the numbers under control, or he will shut down indoor dining again.  (we still haven't dined inside a restaurant).  Some areas here on Long Island are "orange zone" - schools must go virtual.  Hoping the covid vaccine makes its way here asap.

We were outside and each group was staying apart.  Of course we are the "bad" county according to the news who don't always follow the rules.  Strange our numbers are better then the "good" counties.  Most people do wear masks inside and everyone stays apart inside and out.  We have been eating inside restaurants since June and usually go at least once a week.

• Like 1

Here on the Eastern Caribbean island of Barbados

things are relatively normal!

We have no Covid out and about!

Any cases discovered are all 'imports'

-visitors coming in from abroad for their holiday

about 1% of which get tested positive and are placed in quarantine

until they test negative again (MOST unfortunate, sorry...)

- but that also allows the other 99% of incoming visitors to enjoy the island

and earn us some badly-needed ForEx revenue

thus keeping the island's fragile economy from tanking entirely!

Everyone now walks with a mask in their pocket
(wife keeps a stash in the car's glove compartment!)

- for entry to Banks, Supermarkets, Stores and Shopping Malls.

Guy at the door takes your temp.

and sprays your hands with Magical God-Juice -and you're cool to go in!

Everyone practices social distancing, more or less

no more huggy-kissy between females these days, I notice.

But in this breezy island environment

few ppl walk around wearing masks on a regular basis outdoors

or while driving the car! Then again I must assume

that such people are diabetic or have other comorbidity issues,

and need to be that much more careful than the rest of us!

But if you're not here -you're missing out!

Catamaran_coastal_cruises.jpg

!Bluuue skies.jpg

!Boardwalk going Eastward.jpg

!Boardwalk-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Here on the Eastern Caribbean island of Barbados

things are relatively normal!

We have no Covid out and about!

Any cases discovered are all 'imports'

-visitors coming in from abroad for their holiday

about 1% of which get tested positive and are placed in quarantine

until they test negative again (MOST unfortunate, sorry...)

- but that also allows the other 99% of incoming visitors to enjoy the island

and earn us some badly-needed ForEx revenue

thus keeping the island's fragile economy from tanking entirely!

Everyone now walks with a mask in their pocket
(wife keeps a stash in the car's glove compartment!)

- for entry to Banks, Supermarkets, Stores and Shopping Malls.

Guy at the door takes your temp.

and sprays your hands with Magical God-Juice -and you're cool to go in!

Everyone practices social distancing, more or less

no more huggy-kissy between females these days, I notice.

But in this breezy island environment

few ppl walk around wearing masks on a regular basis outdoors

or while driving the car! Then again I must assume

that such people are diabetic or have other comorbidity issues,

and need to be that much more careful than the rest of us!

But if you're not here -you're missing out!

Catamaran_coastal_cruises.jpg

!Bluuue skies.jpg

!Boardwalk going Eastward.jpg

!Boardwalk-2.jpg

Sign me up!  Expecting a big snowstorm Wednesday!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

I'm glad to hear locals still being cautious!

Sounds like Barbados did it right😁 looks beautiful

Our lady Prime Minister jumped on it right away
and we had island-wide lockdown for something like 3 wks. back in March

-plus stringent everything else!
Tediously-long lines to get into the supermarket (NOT very popular!)..

to strictly limit the amount of people in any one place, at any one time
- no longer though..

Masks everywhere, hand sanitising galore, social distancing -the whole bit!

And islanders were/are easily compliant, too...
so that made it easy - and successful too.

We built a special purpose isolation/quarantine hospital -in a hurry
God knows what it cost us! (we don't even ask!)

• Like 1

Hi everyone.  Thanks for all the updates.  I hear a lot of countries and states are adding restrictions.  We in Michigan are proud of going the other way.  High schools are open again for in-person learning by local option.  Most indoor entertainment is open, though capacity limits are very low.  Bars and restaurants are still not open for indoor drinking and dining.  There's more to it, but I'm sure by now you know where to go if you need to know more.

Christmas doesn't figure to be too much fun this year, but I'm consoling myself by the fact that if everyone I care about survives this, we'll make up for it in the years to come.

Our governor is allowing cocktails to go till current level of restrictions ends January 31. Will help a little with current curfew etc. One drink per person to go. I'll have that 24 oz margarita but just one straw, please😁

Be safe out there folks. Happy Holiday! It has to be better next year

• Like 1