For Amsterdam WC passengers getting off/getting home and beyond

cruzingnut

20 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I checked my mariner status and it has been updated to reflect all 128 days for both cruise days (determines your medal color) and cruise day credits (mariner status).  

This was great that they did this!

Linda R.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything from the Amsterdam WC passengers who boarded the Pacific Princess in Freemantle to sail to Los Angeles instead of flying?

That ship arrived last week, and a lady made a nice posting on their roll call, but no mention of the Amsterdam passengers.  Earlier in their roll call thread someone estimated there were three new passengers, but another thought it was more like three couples.

Hopefully everyone has returned home safe and sound without catching the virus .

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Hygge! said:

Why does this announcement affect long cruises? This was our first “world” cruise and we are hooked! 

Looking at the way HAL is going, larger "Mid sized" ships designed for 7 day cruises or B2B cruises,  The fact that longer cruises may not sell as much stuff than shorter cruises with more turnover, the design of the new ships.  If there is a change in management they may decide to concentrate on the shorter cruises.  Further, I would guess that some ships will not return to service in the mid term future.  Will they be the older ships?  If so that could also affect long term cruises.  Hope they keep them because I too am hooked.

51 minutes ago, Captain Ricky said:

Looking at the way HAL is going, larger "Mid sized" ships designed for 7 day cruises or B2B cruises,  The fact that longer cruises may not sell as much stuff than shorter cruises with more turnover, the design of the new ships.  If there is a change in management they may decide to concentrate on the shorter cruises.  Further, I would guess that some ships will not return to service in the mid term future.  Will they be the older ships?  If so that could also affect long term cruises.  Hope they keep them because I too am hooked.

And this is why a merger between Seabourn (their president just resigned also) and HAL just might work.  Use the smaller Seabourn ships for the longer cruises.  Unless HAL makes smaller ships, in 10 years, they will be gone.  The Amsterdam, for example, is 20 years old this year.  HAL typically doesn't keep any ships longer than 30 years.  The larger ships wouldn't be able to do anything resembling a world cruise (such as we know it) because they are too big to get into many places. 

Linda R.

Some people on our cruise got post cruise surveys. We did not. I wrote to HAL and got the following reply.
If you didn't get a survey and want one you may want to contact HAL.
📷
May 18, 2020
Mr. Richard McClear
Mrs. Susan McClear
Email: rich@mcclear.net
RE: Case: 1-8474623051
Booking:
Dear Mr. McClear:
Thank you for contacting us regarding your sailing on ms Amsterdam.
We understand that you would like to have a Guest Satisfaction Survey sent to you. Our system is set up to send a survey to each email address associated with a booking, and we regret if you did not receive one. We do value all guest comments and are happy to send you a mail-in survey; we simply ask that you complete the survey and return it to us using one of the methods listed below. Please be assured the information you submit will have equal value to the surveys that are sent electronically. Please return your completed survey to:
Holland America Line
Attn: Guest Relations
450 Third Ave West
Seattle, WA 98119
Email: guestrelations@hollandamerica.com
Fax: 206-905-8962
You may either reply to the questions on the attached PDF in the body of your e-mail reply, or each print out the form to fill in by hand and send scanned copies to us or mail the physical copies to our mailing address noted above.
Please be advised that we are receiving a higher volume of guest communications and regretfully our response time is delayed. As such, kindly allow us sufficient time to review your comments with the attention and care they deserve, and you can expect a response in approximately 3-4 weeks. We sincerely apologize for any resulting inconvenience and greatly appreciate your patience during this time.
Thank you again for contacting us with your inquiry, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Ilene Barton
Special Advisor Office of the President

23 hours ago, Captain Ricky said:
Some people on our cruise got post cruise surveys. We did not. I wrote to HAL and got the following reply.
If you didn't get a survey and want one you may want to contact HAL.
📷

We also did not get a post cruise survey. Thanks for the heads up and the info. There are a few people who really stood out as deserving an atta boy on a survey!

I can only surmise the ship with the situation changing constantly, the ‘survey’ would only provide an outlet for ‘anger management’ issues for the Perth disembarkation. And I speak of this only of the corporate  management and NOT the on board staff.  Capt. Jonathan & the ‘kids’ dealt with situation above & beyond & rather graciously IMO.
The lack of guidance for those unfamiliar with making sudden changes / flights home arrangements on their own (unless they were under the umbrella of HAL’s insurance program or on board TA folks) I could see fairly negative surveys submitted.

Heck, we had fun enjoying new ports and the good folks aboard on sea days.

BTW, the Mrs. has a bag still aboard filled with knitting and artsy-cratftsy stuff. We figure it’s worth close to $1K insurance-wise, no?

Besides, at this point, with all that is going on, what would a survey contribute to the future of HAL WC’s?

No animosity here. JMHO whatever it might be worth (zero in most cases actually).

Be well.

Bob

1 hour ago, prescottbob said:

Besides, at this point, with all that is going on, what would a survey contribute to the future of HAL WC’s?

No animosity here. JMHO whatever it might be worth (zero in most cases actually).

Be well.

Bob

I take your point except that they sent it to some people and not others.  That puzzles me.  I want to take the survey to give a tip of the hat to on board staff that went above and beyond.  I wonder it it went to our TA?  I have sent a note to check.

16 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

We also did not get a post cruise survey. Thanks for the heads up and the info. There are a few people who really stood out as deserving an atta boy on a survey!

The survey we received was not a survey of your recent cruise experience, but what are you thinking about going forward.  Are you willing to air travel to get to a port for a cruise? Are ports on this list you would not take a cruise from? They did give a space (2000 key strokes) for comments and that's where I addressed the current unknowns (where's my luggage) that will guide my decisions.  My main response was the need for transparency and more communication vs silence.  

• Like 1

Our TA told us today that we have received our FCC for the WC.  We selected 50/50, no cash refund in sight yet and no expense reimbursement and of course no luggage.  One  step in the right direction.

31 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Our TA told us today that we have received our FCC for the WC.  We selected 50/50, no cash refund in sight yet and no expense reimbursement and of course no luggage.  One  step in the right direction.

Can you confirm it was based on 100% of the base cruise fare?

35 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Any one get the $1250 back yet ????

I don't have a check in hand yet, but I had an email asking if I wanted a check or FCC.  I asked for  check.

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Can you confirm it was based on 100% of the base cruise fare?

It was a few hundred short of 50% of 100% of our invoiced amount (pre port fees and taxes).  Not sure why its a few hundred short but I imagine there was something they deducted.  I have asked my TA to ask them for their calculation.  One would think you would receive an email telling you it was available and how they calculated it.  Truth be told someone probably did it on the back of a cocktail napkin.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

It was a few hundred short of 50% of 100% of our invoiced amount (pre port fees and taxes).  Not sure why its a few hundred short but I imagine there was something they deducted.  I have asked my TA to ask them for their calculation.  One would think you would receive an email telling you it was available and how they calculated it.  Truth be told someone probably did it on the back of a cocktail napkin.

It might have to do with the 3%  we got our"s  as well today 

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away