Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

I think these boards were instituted to give CC members a way to stay connected while the industry (and the world) shut down. As things get back to new normal they have served their purpose. It is nice to have an “off topic” type thread to keep in touch, though. I hope we can start something similar.

It is already 90F here at 930AM in tropical hell.We’re watching disc golf and having a quiet Sunday morning, hiding in the air conditioning and dreaming of Northern Europe. Our “baby” turned 39 yesterday. Not sure how that can be, since we’re only 30 ourselves. As the Tonopah life goes on…

DF609FF4-90F5-4D09-B005-72C5B9A1BCE3.jpeg

171AF3F7-C746-456C-804F-90D5EF35DDF4.jpeg

• Like 6

I’ve posted about my gardening endeavours on this thread over the past couple of years, especially about my agapanthus collection. Unfortunately, this year’s display has been disappointing with quite a few plants taking a sabbatical from flowering it seems. However, I did get a single bloom out of one plant which has consistently refused to flower for at least 3 years, so there is always hope for next year.  Aside from that, our lawn has turned brown and unripe apples have already started to fall from our crab apple tree.  A friend who lives on the other side of London says her blackberries are ready to eat now, which is about a month earlier than normal. I don’t think 2022 will go down in history as a vintage year for gardening. I’m thoroughly fed up with all the watering that needs to be done and am looking forward to the autumn and some rain (fingers crossed). I’ve usually had enough of summer by the end of July - the garden always seems a bit ragged by August, the evenings are starting to drawn in again and I want to be able to put on a jumper! 

It has been really lovely reading everyone’s posts on this thread over the past couple of years and I have especially enjoyed all the nature related stuff and photos of your cats. 🐈‍⬛ 🐈😀

In case we get merged into a more general non-Cunard specific thread, all the best to you all and happy cruising, especially if like me, you are yet to make it back onto the high seas. 

• Like 3

I would agree that it's nice to have a thread like this for stuff that's not directly cruise/Cunard related.

I had a look for some of the other threads. It looks like it hasn't taken off on all lines. P&O UK seems to have far more posts than any other line, and I think Cunard is next.

It is interesting to read what is happening to folk in other parts of the world and meet their animals.

I hope something similar can continue.

Incidentally we're still in heatwave conditions here (with an odd day that's just classed as close to it).

We didn't actually use A/C in the living area on Friday. Taking a hike in The Esterel tomorrow so may have some photos. Cats are generally lounging about in stretched poses to keep as cool as possible.

Hot conditions are expected up to mid August at least.

• Like 1

We hit 92F this week, which is almost record heat for Seattle. 85F on the deck at 4:00pm. On a different note, I got a wild hair last weekend and booked the 9 year old and myself on an Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks. This will be the first time sailing Celebrity. It is so fun to read the threads complaining about the Celebrity App. Hey, at least they have one! 

• Like 3

@techteach I crochet and knit and quilt. I make what I think will be fun or interesting. Currently I am making a crocheted afghan based on the movie Die Hard for my husband to hopefully be done by Christmas (of some year) and knitted hats, scarves, and mittens for our QM2 voyage to Norway in November. 

@Tonopah Ah- I quilt too! Before retirement I made beautiful shawls, now I usually have what I call mindless crochet going. They are repetitive afghans for charity. I do quilts for Lutheran World Relief as well for home. I also love wool appliqué and embroidery. Are you on Ravelry?

9 minutes ago, techteach said:

@Tonopah Ah- I quilt too! Before retirement I made beautiful shawls, now I usually have what I call mindless crochet going. They are repetitive afghans for charity. I do quilts for Lutheran World Relief as well for home. I also love wool appliqué and embroidery. Are you on Ravelry?

On Rav. If you look on the Die Hard Christmas CAL pattern projects you’ll see my project (with my little dog Dobby in the Ravatar. Maybe we already “know” each other!

This thread had been an oasis of calm for me as we tried to figure out what was going on in the world during the pandemic, and wondered when would we be able to cruise again. 

When we first booked our trip in the QM2, I enjoyed reading what folks were saying but was reluctant to post anything as we had never sailed on a Cunard ship before so I couldn’t see how I could offer any opinion. 

That said, now that we have thoroughly enjoyed a fantastic “crossing”  (not a cruise ! Lol) on the QM2, and we have several other bookings for 23 and 24, we totally “get it” and can’t wait until we sail with Cunard again. 

I hope this thread continues in some shape or form within Cruise Critic. 

• Like 4

We've had some late afternoon sun after overnight rain and a cloudy morning. We have lots of leftovers, it'll be pulled pork and Pimms here for days !

We're watching the England Women's Football team and really hoping the game doesn't go to penalties 🤞

• Like 2

It’s interesting to read what folks have been doing where they are and what keeps them sane during  these troublesome times. 

All through the pandemic it was this man who kept me sane as I went out to feed, groom, scratch and generally pamper him almost every day. Rain, snow or shine.

He is our sons horse and Louis is 26 now and getting on a wee bit, but stills enjoys his daily walks and the attention. 

I don’t ride myself (I leave that to others) but I do occasionally put his head collar and a lead rope on him and we take a walk round the farm where he lives. 

It’s like taking a 600kg dog for a walk and I bore him with my chat!

Like most animals,  he is an excellent listener, especially when there are treats in my pocket. 

Today, like most days in the summer, I was busy pushing a wheelbarrow round Louis field where he lives with his 3 other friends picking up the “fertiliser” and Louis followed me around to supervise and also just to see if I had any treats. 

A9C6A6BB-F36E-46AE-9F15-3673841A3153.jpeg

Edited by ronpes
  • Like 7

42 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Change of plan again, we're staying!

Nice to hear!

I think that many of us will be glad of this!

All is fine here in Central FL.

We have returned from our family cruise with my in laws (on the cruise line owned by the famous mouse)

My nieces had a ball… it is absolutely true that the cruise line is very family friendly and kid centric.

My husband and I had a good time with the family- seriously any travel on the water is fun for us… but I must admit that it was not “relaxing”. It was a go go go experience.
I’m absolutely recuperating at home after the cruise! Hahaha!

The food was alright… the Disney fans will tell you on their groups and such that their cruise food is the greatest of all lines… but we disagree. It was fine. One meal was outstanding, but the rest were standard, in our opinion.

I will say the line was fantastic in their entertainment… albeit it is all very Disney all the time… but the quality of their singers was beyond excellent! 
Also, fireworks at sea was very impressive.

It did make the two of us crave our Cunard experience, though… where the two of us can explore the world, relax, learn, be enriched, and just be.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2022 at 5:03 PM, techteach said:

If this thread goes away I hope we all find each other in our new home. Perhaps we can tag each other to assist the search.

It would be lovely if there was a kind of private message facility. There are some members here I definitely feel I have an affinity with and I would love 'to talk' but in a more private setting  I don't see any way around it.

• Like 1

That is great news HH.

A quick update from me.

All is good here, the weather is back to normal and I am enjoying my new job.

This time next week, I will be packed and ready to go to Southampton to join QV on a short trip to the Isle of Mull and back.

• Like 4