Cancelling your river cruise with Viking

SwissMrs

Have not cancelled the Cruise yet.  But did cancel some optional excursions and pre paid gratuities just to get a head start in case we do cancel the entire cruise.  They said 21 days for refund.  Yesterday was 22 days so I called.  They then said it is 21 Business days.  They applied the refund to my balance but said I would still get it back on my Credit Card in the 21 Business Days.  We will see.

We and two other couples travelling with us cancelled last Friday.  Our money was refunded by Tuesday.  All except $100 future cruise credit each.  I realize that to this point Viking has offered a generous cancellation policy...cancel up to 24 hours prior and receive a 125% FCC.  (Per the woman I spoke to when cancelling the cruise.)  However we are talking a lot of money and there are so many unknowns right now.  If this had been an ocean cruise booked with one of the big lines for less than $5000 we would have probably waited.  I’m just not sure what will happen to Viking if this hold on river cruises is prolonged.  Being a retired infection control nurse I would be very surprised to see European river cruises happening at all this summer.

I’m also still annoyed at Vikings policy that full payment is required so far in advance.  For us that was a year prior to sailing.  We agreed to it before the world turned upside down.  Now we will wait and see.  We can always rebook.

15 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

We and two other couples travelling with us cancelled last Friday.  Our money was refunded by Tuesday.  All except $100 future cruise credit each.  I realize that to this point Viking has offered a generous cancellation policy...cancel up to 24 hours prior and receive a 125% FCC.  (Per the woman I spoke to when cancelling the cruise.)  However we are talking a lot of money and there are so many unknowns right now.  If this had been an ocean cruise booked with one of the big lines for less than $5000 we would have probably waited.  I’m just not sure what will happen to Viking if this hold on river cruises is prolonged.  Being a retired infection control nurse I would be very surprised to see European river cruises happening at all this summer.

I’m also still annoyed at Vikings policy that full payment is required so far in advance.  For us that was a year prior to sailing.  We agreed to it before the world turned upside down.  Now we will wait and see.  We can always rebook.

I believe the 125% FCC is for bookings through the end of April. We have a cruise in Oct, and like you, they have held our money for a year already. If, or rather when, we cancel that one, if we take the FCC that the offer at that time to rebook something later, it's not inconceivable that they would have held our money for up to 3 years! And, more likely than not, our cruise is goingto cost more. This policy in itself is really really pushing me away from Viking, and we had really been eyeing them up for an Australian cruise. But, again, this policy of full payment due with a very short time frame is costing us money we should have. I could see tying your full payment to receiving a scaled amount of OBC or FCC, but to hold my money with nothing back in return is akin to using the inside of your mattress as a savings account. If not worse in a time when the markets were growing.

We canceled our Viking Oberammergau cruise for September the week that our final payment was due. I didn’t want to ante up that large amount of cash knowing that it could not happen as planned. The Oberammergau play is being rescheduled for 2022. Viking is still trying to figure out what they will do about rescheduling cruises for that year.

So I already received credit back for my deposit. But they did keep $300 total unrefunded - $100 each cancellation penalty plus $50 each air penalty. I think that was the “air plus?” that we paid for to have a say in our flights. That $300 was not given as FCC but simply lost.

39 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

Great to hear Viking allowed you to cancel via telephone; the booking contract stated they required it to be in writing.  Our cruise is not until November 2020 and the current FCC/cancel for full refund policy does not apply to us. 

We too were very unhappy with Vikings pay in full policy...we paid in full 18 months before the cruise is scheduled to run.  If it hadn't been a trip we really wanted to do, would not have done it.  Now we worry Viking will not be solvent enough to refund us if we wait too long to request it.

Three weeks ago, we did request refunds on all our extra excursions and these refunds have yet to show up on the credit card.  Talked to Viking and they insist they were done.  No mention of any waiting period, let alone a 21 day waiting period.  Will wait a bit longer before getting the credit card company involved.  What really makes me angry about this is if I had just purchased the excursions they would show up on the credit card immediately.

• Like 1

Our cruise was Sept 4.  The woman at Viking DID offer us 125% FCC.  I understand what the written policy is stating, however this was the offer to us.  I wonder if they are seeing mass cancellations and they are sweetening the deal to maintain bookings.  YMMV.

4 hours ago, bloomcruisers said:

So I already received credit back for my deposit. But they did keep $300 total unrefunded - $100 each cancellation penalty plus $50 each air penalty. I think that was the “air plus?” that we paid for to have a say in our flights. That $300 was not given as FCC but simply lost.

I have to correct this mistake. I checked with my TA after seeing that others were receiving FCC for their $200 or $300 cancellation penalties. She clarified that we did indeed get that as FCC also. I just did not see it in her cancellation confirmation email and thought it was lost.

19 hours ago, californiagirl said:

Our cruise was Sept 4.  The woman at Viking DID offer us 125% FCC.  I understand what the written policy is stating, however this was the offer to us.  I wonder if they are seeing mass cancellations and they are sweetening the deal to maintain bookings.  YMMV.

I chatted with a Viking agent yesterday to see if they might consider an approach like this for our Oct cruise. My angle was that I gave Viking $12000 in Sept of ‘19, for   a cruise in Oct ‘20, that I might not be able to take until ‘21 or ‘22. The interest or growth potential of them requiring full payment that far in advance is financially immoral. I also explained that to move the same cruise to next year, or beyond, is going to cost me approx $2000 more than my current value. He said that Viking can’t afford to “give” me 125% FCC at this time for a cruise that is going to cost Viking significantly more to operate.... I think philosophically, it’s time for me to get MY money from them. It would be real interesting to see a movement by their customers against refusing to make full payment 1 and 2 years in advance.

There is this misconception about when Viking must be paid.  Up front they say they want their $$  1+ years ahead, but they somewhat readily move final payments up.  Last year they tried to hold the line on this and got so much pushback that they backed off.

We traveled last October, and our TA was told, without even having to ask for it, that final payment was due in May, 5 months from departure.

I realize it's too late if one already agreed to pay over a year in advance, but when booking future cruises  with Viking, insist on a different final payment due date.  Maybe even mention that upfront----would they want to lose a sale over this policy?  I wouldn't think so.  This is one instance when having a TA can be helpful.  Cruise lines want happy TA's as they can refer to them a lot of business.

It seems to me that Viking is inconsistent with their customers.  Sharkster, I believe that you were able to delay your full payment, but our experience was entirely different.  We were three couples booking at once and they held firm to the payment in full 30 days past initial deposit.  I tried doing as you said and they wouldn’t budge.  My take away is that it depends who you speak with and which supervisor is working the day you call.  I feel no loyalty to them.  Hopefully when our lives return to a sense of “normalcy“ there will still be a variety of options to choose from when booking a river cruise.  

Edited by californiagirl

3 hours ago, californiagirl said:

It seems to me that Viking is inconsistent with their customers.  Sharkster, I believe that you were able to delay your full payment, but our experience was entirely different.  We were three couples booking at once and they held firm to the payment in full 30 days past initial deposit.  I tried doing as you said and they wouldn’t budge.  My take away is that it depends who you speak with and which supervisor is working the day you call.  I feel no loyalty to them.  Hopefully when our lives return to a sense of “normalcy“ there will still be a variety of options to choose from when booking a river cruise.  

I had the same experience as you, and personally, I don't feel like playing "agent roulette". I want the same policy from every agent....period! as I mentioned, the earliest we would be able to cruise if we don't end up doing our Oct '20 one is fall of '21, if there are any left, and at that point, Viking will have held my whole full payment for over 2 years. It might just push us to get a cash refund now and look for someone else.

Edited by clojacks

My post referred to us using a travel agent.  @californiagirl and @clojacks, did you folks use a travel agent or were you dealing with Viking on your own?  I did end my post by wondering if it made a difference that we had a TA dealing with Viking for us.

It's been mentioned on these boards that there was a period that Viking tried to hold the line on payment within 30 days of booking but the pushback was fierce.  It may be that you folks unfortunately booked during that period.

Edited by sharkster77

3 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

My post referred to us using a travel agent.  @californiagirl and @clojacks, did you folks use a travel agent or were you dealing with Viking on your own?  I did end my post by wondering if it made a difference that we had a TA dealing with Viking for us.

It's been mentioned on these boards that there was a period that Viking tried to hold the line on payment within 30 days of booking but the pushback was fierce.  It may be that you folks unfortunately booked during that period.

Well, I booked with Viking and had it transferred to my TA, that I have used for quite a few cruises. But, when I contacted Viking yesterday, it was through their chatbot, and the agent was unbending.

I feel a TA may have more influence speaking to Viking, in that they represent MANY customers, while an individual calling for themselves represents a single customer.  Again, we were going to ask the TA to ask for a later final payment date, but it was offered to the TA before we had a chance to ask.

My final payment I had negotiated when I booked was 5 months out.  When I transferred it to a TA the agency moved the payment up 2 weeks not a big deal.  Recently I have tried to get the final payment pushed back a month or so no luck.  Tried again a couples days ago and got it pushed back 2 weeks.  So May 20th now.  Not a big deal but it felt like a win on my part.  So my TA will probably want it Mid May but I will hold out as long as possible.

This inconsistency of when full payment is due, as illustrated by the above posts, is exasperating to me.

Every other line we have cruised has a printed policy that is adhered to by anyone booking a cruise.  No preferential treatment regarding payment is shown depending on who you are or who you know.  Of course there are unexpected circumstances that may necessitate setting aside policy.  But those should be the rare exception rather than the rule.  It appears the “rule” at Viking is that if you are a TA or speak with the right person the policy is changed.  Booking a cruise should not be like buying a car where your negotiating skills determine when you pay in full.  Fortunately I have many choices for river cruises and can speak with my wallet.

As I said earlier this came into play as to the decision whether to request a refund or a FCC.  I only hope that Viking has not overextended themselves and already spent the payments on other expenses with the expectation that bookings would continue perpetually.   Much like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Rant over. 😊

• Like 1

californiagirl,

I understand your point. Just to throw in another aspect: the "Viking way" as it has been illustrated by the previous posts is not how Viking does it in the UK. In that country they more or less stick to European wide industry standards. When you look up the UK website you will notice the difference in setup but also in the small print.

I am glad to have a wide choice of operators in Europe other than Viking and I hope it stays that way. Even more so I hope for North America that the choice of several operators with - for you - favourable terms and conditions will remain after this crisis is over.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@CincyAL, Viking "acts more like a bank" because some travelers LET THEM.  If you push back they provide better final payment dates.  It's been observed again and again, despite what Viking initially tells you.  TA's have no problem getting better terms.

Also, what is the Viking "demise" you speak of?  Are you just speculating, or have you read something?

4 hours ago, CincyAL said:

Viking acts more like a bank taking FULL deposit as much as 2 years out.  I am sorry that I see their demise and re-organization with lots of travelers left with only memories of the cruise that did not happen.

I have never sailed Viking and don't have first hand opinions about them - though I think they are one of  the lines that will weather the storm better due to paying for their ships in cash.

I don't see their demise at all.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I have never sailed Viking and don't have first hand opinions about them - though I think they are one of  the lines that will weather the storm better due to paying for their ships in cash.

As they're a private company details of things like their financing and debt aren't all that visible, but it seems they didn't use all their own money to pay for at least one of their ocean fleet - it's not a coincidence that Viking Sun was named in Shanghai.

http://staging.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/china-merchants-closes-500m-financing-deal-for-two-viking-newbuilds.html