Any news from the Amsterdam?

mame42

Just now, mame42 said:

Re:  Latest luggage letter:  I packed in such a hurry that I threw things into my duffels with no rhyme or reason.  How should I know how many of what is in there???  Furthermore, I emptied a safe of cash and jewelry for a friend who was caught on the overland excursion and flown directly to the USA almost a week earlier.  I don't know exactly what was in there either because I just stuck her stuff in a duffle; I did not inventory it.  And speaking of those folks, someone else has packed and boxed their belongings, including the almost two months of gifts left in their cabins, so how can they give an accurate inventory.  

I have not been upset about luggage until now.  This requirement, I think, is the last straw.

I think they are just trying to get us to fill out a form - I doubt anyone will be too concerned about he accuracy as long as we fill it out in good faith.    I will fill it out as best I can remember and then quit worrying about it.   There is nothing else we can do.

The Serenity Prayer is appropriate here:

Grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 

• Like 5

We sort of took half-assed pictures of the open duffel bags with our I-Phone. Our baggage pretty much had formal wear (tux, diner jacket, tails plus a bag of cummerbunds, vests and ties), hiking shoes, extra shorts & swim suits, snorkel fins (shorties, aka 'Donald Ducks'), extra belts and socks, cold weather gear (jacket, vests, gloves and caps).

And, of course the 'pillow gifts, 3 ring binder that had all our tour confirmations, a couple file folders with other stuff, a bag filled with Judy's knitting projects and such, rain gear & umbrellas, excess 'unmentionables', a portable cane & walking stick, extra toiletries & formal night 8 X 10 pictures (we purchased the unlimited photo 'thingy').

I would guess things might show up by Labor Day (maybe...).

We're prepared a 'welcome' for the luggage arrival.

We have some sacrificial face masks ready to light up on an unused barbecue grill to 'please' the COVID god(s?). 

Be well.

Bob & the Mrs.

17 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

New post from Capt. Mercer; he's now looking at Monday, 04 May, to get into port (Tanjung Priok) and then Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo to disembark his non-essential Indonesian staff, followed by a rather short voyage to Manila to join the already very long queue of cruise ships and a fourteen-day quarantine period, before being allowed to repat his Filipinos  - the games continue...........

http://captainjonathan.com/

John Thank you for the link to Jonathan's blog..

• Like 1

Who among us considers at the end of a cruise to inventory our luggage's contents as we prepare to leave a cruise?  It's such a distasteful time to have to do so.  At least for me, I pack as quickly as I can just to "get it over with it".

I sympathize with you Grand World Cruise guests who are concerned about your possessions.  

6 hours ago, mame42 said:

Re:  Latest luggage letter:  I packed in such a hurry that I threw things into my duffels with no rhyme or reason.  How should I know how many of what is in there???  Furthermore, I emptied a safe of cash and jewelry for a friend who was caught on the overland excursion and flown directly to the USA almost a week earlier.  I don't know exactly what was in there either because I just stuck her stuff in a duffle; I did not inventory it.  And speaking of those folks, someone else has packed and boxed their belongings, including the almost two months of gifts left in their cabins, so how can they give an accurate inventory.  

I have not been upset about luggage until now.  This requirement, I think, is the last straw.

For once, it’s actually an advantage to live in Canada! All Canadians had to fill out an itemized inventory during those last few hectic days on board, as our luggage would pass through US Customs unaccompanied on its way home. It was a major hassle at the time, and that was with everything lying on the bed in front of us! But at least now the inventory is there and done.

Filling one out now, from memory, a month and a half later, is a demented version of a Kim’s Game I’d hate to be playing now. At least the form they sent is short and generic, so a really rough ballpark guess would do. And the stuff we were given can be lumped together as ‘HAL pillow gifts’. Hopefully they’ll be lenient, and not get too picky about details.

Best of luck, that unwanted extra paperwork before we disembarked is a blessing, now!

On 5/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, Copper10-8 said:

New post from Capt. Mercer; he's now looking at Monday, 04 May, to get into port (Tanjung Priok) and then Tuesday, Cinco de Mayo to disembark his non-essential Indonesian staff, followed by a rather short voyage to Manila to join the already very long queue of cruise ships and a fourteen-day quarantine period, before being allowed to repat his Filipinos  - the games continue...........

http://captainjonathan.com/

Philip had an update late last night on Facebook. Now they are looking at the 6th. I imagine that is the 7th here?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Philip had an update late last night on Facebook. Now they are looking at the 6th. I imagine that is the 7th here?

I think it's the 5th here, they are a day ahead of us.

Roy

40 minutes ago, Storylady said:

Other way around as they are a day ahead of us. Hopefully on the 5th in North America.

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think it's the 5th here, they are a day ahead of us.

Roy

Thanks Roy. I get all confused with the date due to the dateline. I know that they are about 16 hours ahead of us. So I guess it will be very late on the 5th or maybe in the wee hours of the 6th.

15 minutes ago, Mary Ellen said:

Other way around as they are a day ahead of us. Hopefully on the 5th in North America.

Actually they are 12 hours ahead of the central time here in Alabama.

On 5/3/2020 at 3:00 PM, mame42 said:

I left my luggage on the QM2 when we were sent off at Fremantle.  Fortunately for us the ship steamed to Southampton and we now have all our luggage returned to us here in the US.  But...

One of my pieces was sent back to the UK for having a 'prohibitive item' in it.  The item was cash!  In my haste to pack I had put an envelope with 95 pound sterling and about 5 euro in the suitcase.  They're trying to catch drug money of course but my little amount got swept up in the crosshairs. Once back in the UK the money was removed and my bag was resent to me.  Luggage Forward was great about this and kept me informed the whole way...phone calls everyday.  The thing is, they can't send the money to me so I'm out of luck. They are going to try to credit my account but if they can't I asked that it be donated to a local food bank.  

I hope others don't wind up in the same situation or at least that it involves very little cash!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Storylady said:

Thanks Roy. I get all confused with the date due to the dateline. I know that they are about 16 hours ahead of us. So I guess it will be very late on the 5th or maybe in the wee hours of the 6th.

No worries - It's currently Tuesday morning, May 5th at 06:05 hrs in Jakarta as we speak

• Like 1

I can't wait to read Captain Jonathan's blog and see the photos of his Indonesian crew disembarking.  I'm sure they love him to death but will be so happy to be home.  I wonder if their families will be able to be at the port or the families are also somewhat self-quarantined at the moment.  What an adventure!!!  Cherie    

Wed 06 May 2020 now looking good for the disembarkation/repatriation of Amsterdam's approx. 170 Indonesian crew members in Tanjung Priok/Jakarta. With the time difference, we should see movement from Amsterdam later today (Tue) - It is currently 3:33 PM (1533 hrs) local time on Tue, 05 May in Jakarta

• Like 1

Amsterdam has repositioned closer to the dock area.  Purple arrow is where the ship is and the yellow arrow is the dock they will tender into.  That's the dock that the Carnival ship went into so I imagine it will be the same for our crew.  It's getting exciting!!  It's about 12:30AM on the 6th in Jakarta.  I wonder if anyone will be able to sleep?

Linda R.

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 11.17.50 AM.png

Edited by cruzingnut
  • Like 2

Heard from one of my waiters;  he sent me a message and picture from the tender.  Dining room manager posted pictures of many of the smiling faces before they got off.  I'm so happy!!! 

Linda R.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Ah, you beat me to it!  Here’s a screenshot.

Linda R.

F3CB00AF-CCEC-4979-9945-D348632F152A.jpeg

Happy day for Indonesian crew and Captain no doubt!

Later - Lovely to see the happy smiling faces of the crew disembarking.

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 2

Thank you for the pictures. They say it all !!

I wish them all the best and I really hope the cruise industry can eventually get going again and provide so many of these great kids steady jobs again.

• Like 2